PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

If the Patriots don't sign a player to bolster the pass rush ........

Status
Not open for further replies.
How many times did Sanchez get sacked again?

0, but the team that played with a heavy emphasis on coverage had 5.

We were 14-2 and the defense adds Bodden, Warren, Wright and Dowling. It also adds Stroud as a replacement for G. Warren.

The OLB's should ALL be one year better: Cunningham, Ninkovich, Moore and Fletcher. Murrell now holds down the #5 spot (STer and emergency OLB). Sure, I'd love to add an OLB.

I'm sure that Belichick will see if there is value out there. It is not as if Murrell is a lock for teh 53-man roster. In any case, we need a couple of camp bodies.

But the BOTTOM LINE, is that I think that Belichick expects this group of five OLB's to better than last year's group.

Last edited:
The OLB's should ALL be one year better: Cunningham, Ninkovich, Moore and Fletcher.
Ninkovich blows IMO. Cut him and sign Kiwanuka or Babin.

I really like Kiwanuka, but Babin has already played in a 3-4 and blown.

I will jump out of my proverbial boots in joy if the Pats sign anyone, I mean anyone, who can be labelled as a starting OLB. I hate that they're just making due with what they have.

If not, I hope Kyle Arrington gets 10 sacks this season.:D

Charles Johnson just signed what is basically a 3 year 46 million dollar deal with the Panthers. $15 million per year. Now guys like Kiwanuka aren't going to get that much, but I think this is an indication that they will be overpaid. The Pats aren't going to be the ones to do it.

I really like Kiwanuka, but Babin has already played in a 3-4 and blown.

Certainly a concern. But, up until last season, you could have said the same thing about his 4-3 play, and perhaps more markedly so. In Philly and Seattle, he played DE, and that was a steep decline from his play as an LB in Houston. It's not like it's a position switch from LB to DE that led to his improved production in Tennessee. He's still the FA most likely to get us 8+ sacks, IMHO. He has the highest proven ceiling as a pass rusher of anyone on the market.

There's no evidence BB thinks the pass rush is a problem.

this blows my mind. You can say there's no problem in terms of talent, that is a valid argument, a lie, but a valid argument. However, wouldn't you agree that we don't even have the proper depth at that position for a 16 game season? I don't see how this team profits from ignoring a need that would make them play better football as a unit.

That's the scary part. How can 0 sacks 0 hits 0 pressures in your last playoff game not indicate a pass rush problem?

Last edited:
That's the scary part. How can 0 sacks 0 pressures in your last playoff game not indicate a pass rush problem?

128 QB rating from the likes of Mark effing Sanchez. Pass rush is clearly a problem. Is it the only problem? No. Is it the biggest problem? Perhaps not. But it is definitely a problem.

Last edited:
That's the scary part. How can 0 sacks 0 pressures in your last playoff game not indicate a pass rush problem?

Because he'll never go into another playoff game with a defensive line missing 4 of its top 7 players.

If Fletcher added 10 pounds of muscle as reported, then he's probably big enough to play some OLB now. Wouldn't be surprised to see he and Cunningham both make major strides this season.

So no, I won't be hurling myself off of a bridge of the Pats don't make a huge FA splash at OLB.

Last edited:
Because he'll never go into another playoff game with a defensive line missing 4 of its top 7 players.

I love this argument.

Anyone satisfied with the defense can point out that there were injuries to the Patriots last year.

This year they will have Warren! Bodden! Maybe Wright!
For 16 games!

Maybe they will.
Maybe there will be injuries. It's been known to happen.

One can point to this game or that game. The Patriots were somewhere around last on third down over the course of the season. Argue however we like, they were last.

Maybe the offense will improve from it's first place ranking from last year.
Maybe Brady will have fewer than four interceptions.

Clearly an improved OLB corp would help the Patriots.

The Patriots have some amount of cap space.
I'm on the side hoping for an improved starter at OLB.

I still trust Belichick.
I'd trust him a lot more with more depth at pass rusher.

I love this argument.

Anyone satisfied with the defense can point out that there were injuries to the Patriots last year.

This year they will have Warren! Bodden! Maybe Wright!
For 16 games!

Maybe they will.
Maybe there will be injuries. It's been known to happen.

One can point to this game or that game. The Patriots were somewhere around last on third down over the course of the season. Argue however we like, they were last.

Maybe the offense will improve from it's first place ranking from last year.
Maybe Brady will have fewer than four interceptions.

Clearly an improved OLB corp would help the Patriots.

The Patriots have some amount of cap space.
I'm on the side hoping for an improved starter at OLB.

I still trust Belichick.
I'd trust him a lot more with more depth at pass rusher.

They're definitely not going to have everybody, but using a 4th string DE in a playoff game is a heck of a lot worse than using a few second string linebackers or safeties or something. I'm a man of statistics, so I feel awfully confident that they won't get completely screwed over at DL again. No promises on other positions though!

There's no evidence he doesn't. All we know is that he thought that attacking other problems in the 2011 draft was a better use of team resources.

I believe pats have been dead last in 3rd down defense since 2008. Must be an nfl record or something.

Signing Sean Ellis and Marcus Spears is realistic and gets crazy depth to the most important part of the Pats defense.

Any of the Manny Lawson, Mathias Kiwanuka et al would be amazing, but the Charles Johnson signing essentially indicated anybody with a hint of talent is going to get crazy stupid money thrown their way this FA period.

Whaattt?
Niko is our best covering OLB. He might not be that adequate in setting the edge ( I still rate him 2nd behind JC in that aspect), he is still a decent pass rusher.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes