PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

If the Patriots don't sign a player to bolster the pass rush ........

Status
Not open for further replies.
People keep forgetting one simple thing: we went 14-2 last year. I think something liek 8 rookies played significant roles, and we didn't get much rush from our front 7. Imagine what life will be like with Cunningham, Spikes, Deaderick, and McCourty with a year under their belt?

14 and TWO! with no pass rush....

imagine if it improves only 10%?

People also keep forgetting one other thing:
We're 0-3 in our last 3 PO games, 2 of which were at home, the other at a neutral site.
When you can't dial up any pressure even at home, then you have a big, season-killing problem.

Last edited:
They need a pass rush more than a WR who can stretch the field.

But if jets get nnamdi..then i think WR will be more important AFC east wise

If they get Nnamdi, I think WR becomes less important vs. the Jets, because you're not going to complete anything against those guys anyways. Might as well have them locking down Brandon Tate, since whoever else we'd be getting would be equally (in)effective.

If that does happen, it just becomes all the more imperative that we be able to dominate them on the ground and with our TEs.

On a side note, this is exactly why I think it's crazy to pay any CB the kind of money that the Jets pay Revis. You can always just not throw at him. Granted, that makes everyone else's job a little easier by letting the safeties help out more in other facets of the game, but it's much harder to prevent, say, an elite pass rusher from making an impact.

Last edited:
With Banta-Cain gone, we will have to sign someone, the UFAs is pretty clear they are bringing numbers in for the position, but with TBC gone, cant see them not bringing in an FA to help.

I believe pats have been dead last in 3rd down defense since 2008. Must be an nfl record or something.
Yes, its a record as the worst made up stat ever.

If they get Nnamdi, I think WR becomes less important vs. the Jets, because you're not going to complete anything against those guys anyways. Might as well have them locking down Brandon Tate, since whoever else we'd be getting would be equally (in)effective.

If that does happen, it just becomes all the more imperative that we be able to dominate them on the ground and with our TEs.

On a side note, this is exactly why I think it's crazy to pay any CB the kind of money that the Jets pay Revis. You can always just not throw at him. Granted, that makes everyone else's job a little easier by letting the safeties help out more in other facets of the game, but it's much harder to prevent, say, an elite pass rusher from making an impact.

If they sign him they will end up with 25 players on their roster that dont belong in the NFL. I understand the theory of 2 great corners, but there is a cap, and it would be like the Yankees having ARod Jeter and Tiexiera and 6 minor leaguers in the lineup

People also keep forgetting one other thing:
We're 0-3 in our last 3 PO games, 2 of which were at home, the other at a neutral site.
When you can't dial up any pressure even at home, then you have a big, season-killing problem.
This is a case of stating a negative team performance and using that as proof the reason you want to pin the performance on is the reason.
The pass rush couldn't be one of the top 10 reasons for the Baltimore loss. It was actually good in the SB vs the Giants. There were many, many other factors vs the Jets as well.

Re: If the Patriots don't sign a player........

Lord, I hope not. I'd rather have Manny Lawson or Matt Roth. Not a matter of fans being irked or not. The question should be is our pass rush good enough to win a championship if we don't improve it? My answer to that would be doubtful.

I totally agree with you. Pats' pass defense was near last in the NFL. Defensive backfield talent is near last, but the lack of pass rush makes it so tough. We could go into the reasons about why BB hasn't fixed it, but suffice is to say, I really hope he does something about it in free agency. If he does, there will be no limits to what this team can accomplish.

Patriots (Patriots UDFA Signings Post)
Corey Woods (OT, Akron)
Jeremy Ross (WR/KR, Cal)
Alex Silvestro (DE, Rutgers)
Jeff Tarpinian (OLB, Iowa)
Kyle Hix (OT, Texas)
Mike Berry (OL, Auburn)
Will Yeatman (TE, Maryland)
Ryan Coulson (DE, Nevada)
Clay Nurse (DE, Illinois)
Anthony Leonard (LB, West Virginia)

I did notice that of the 10 UDFAs the Patriots signed, nearly half of them were either DEs or OLBs, so maybe, just maybe that's a sign of where the Pats could go when signing NFL free agents. We'll find out soon enough.

On PFT Live, Jason Babin talked about how much he hated playing LB in Houston. So maybe we can scratch him off the potential pass rusher list.

I agree, trying to beat the Jets through the air wouldn't be the way to go. As it stands now the way to beat the Jets is by rattling Sanchez and forcing him to beat you and that becomes even more emphasized if they sign Nnamdi.

Last edited:
Any of the Manny Lawson, Mathias Kiwanuka et al would be amazing, but the Charles Johnson signing essentially indicated anybody with a hint of talent is going to get crazy stupid money thrown their way this FA period.

Very true. Johnson is good but he basically got a three year, $46 million deal. That's insane! Kiwanuka and Lawson won't get that much but what they do get WILL be out of the Patriots' price range. :(

People keep forgetting one simple thing: we went 14-2 last year. I think something liek 8 rookies played significant roles, and we didn't get much rush from our front 7. Imagine what life will be like with Cunningham, Spikes, Deaderick, and McCourty with a year under their belt?

14 and TWO! with no pass rush....

imagine if it improves only 10%?

Man, that makes me so excited for this season!!! Go Patriots! :rocker:

Yeah but...It will be 10% less sucky ;)

It'll still suck :confused2:

In the interests of equality, Deus, i'd like you to give us a run down of all the teams you consider to be SB contenders in the AFC and give us a quick summary of their strengths and weaknesses.

You see, this 'pass rush sucks' stuff needs to be put in proper context - a context that shows how it stacks up against the Patriots competition.

Feel free to comment on subjects such as 'competency of HC', 'awesomeness of QB' and 'talent and depth in the defensive backfield'.

Many thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back