PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

If the Patriots don't sign a player to bolster the pass rush ........

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apologize in advance if this has already been mentioned, but what about attempting a trade for a guy like Anthony Spencer for a 3rd/4th rounder. Cowboys are obviously trying to clear cap space and its doubtful they will dish out a big contract to this guy.

In the interests of equality, Deus, i'd like you to give us a run down of all the teams you consider to be SB contenders in the AFC and give us a quick summary of their strengths and weaknesses.

You see, this 'pass rush sucks' stuff needs to be put in proper context - a context that shows how it stacks up against the Patriots competition.

Feel free to comment on subjects such as 'competency of HC', 'awesomeness of QB' and 'talent and depth in the defensive backfield'.

Many thanks in advance.

All teams have weaknesses, and I'm not breaking down every damn team in the league. I once started breaking down just the division, and the interest lasted 1.5 threads. The issue isn't what your weaknesses are.

The issue is what you do to try fixing them. Trading away the your best pass rushing D-lineman is not fixing the pass rush problem. Drafting Crable, with his basketball calves, in round 3 is not really dealing with the problem. Trading for a clearly declining Burgess is not really dealing with the problem. Drafting a guy in round 6 this year is not really dealing with the problem. Having multiple picks in round 1, and using one on a LT while trading the other away is not dealing with the problem.

The numbers on the Patriots ability to pressure without a blitz last year are available. "The pass rush sucks" has plenty of context.

Last edited:
All teams have weaknesses, and I'm not breaking down every damn team in the league. I once started breaking down just the division, and the interest lasted 1.5 threads. The issue isn't what your weaknesses are.

The issue is what you do to try fixing them. Trading away the your best pass rushing D-lineman is not fixing the pass rush problem. Drafting Crable, with his basketball calves, in round 3 is not really dealing with the problem. Trading for a clearly declining Burgess is not really dealing with the problem. Drafting a guy in round 6 this year is not really dealing with the problem. Having multiple picks in round 1, and using one on a LT while trading the other away is not dealing with the problem.

The numbers on the Patriots ability to pressure without a blitz last year are available. "The pass rush sucks" has plenty of context.

I can see how breaking down 'every damn team in the league' would prove tiresome.

Luckily, I only asked you to break down those teams you regard to be contenders in the AFC.

Its not that big of a list.

Endlessly chanting the 'pass rush sucks' mantra obviously gives you some degree of satisfaction - mainly because, viewed in isolation, its true.

So there you go; i'm conceding the fact that the pass rush has indeed sucked ass.

What i'm asking you to do is put this relative (and apparent) weakness in a context of where it leaves the Patriots ability to win games and ultimately the Superbowl.

Because without that context its just a bunch of pedantic, whiny, over-indulged 'fans' doing their very best impression of a broken record.

OK..here's my best impression....

broken-record-765056.jpg

I can see how breaking down 'every damn team in the league' would prove tiresome.

Luckily, I only asked you to break down those teams you regard to be contenders in the AFC.

Its not that big of a list.

Endlessly chanting the 'pass rush sucks' mantra obviously gives you some degree of satisfaction - mainly because, viewed in isolation, its true.

So there you go; i'm conceding the fact that the pass rush has indeed sucked ass.

What i'm asking you to do is put this relative (and apparent) weakness in a context of where it leaves the Patriots ability to win games and ultimately the Superbowl.

Because without that context its just a bunch of pedantic, whiny, over-indulged 'fans' doing their very best impression of a broken record.

No, actually, it's a bunch of fans talking about what's going on. The Patriots were at the bottom of the league in pressuring the QB without the blitz. The Patriots haven't addressed it via high draft picks. Since 2007, the Patriots haven't addressed it via significant free agent moves. The Patriots haven't addressed it via trade. The Patriots couldn't pressure Sanchez last year in the playoff game, and that was part of the problem in the loss to the Jets. That's context. The problems of other teams, however, is not.

I have, however, taken the time in the past to point out the recent correlation between sacks and the Super Bowl:

2010: Steelers and Packers were #1 and #2

2009: Saints were #13, Colts were #16

2008: Steelers were #2, Cardinals were #14

2007: Giants were #1, Patriots were #2

So, in the last 4 years, 5 of the 8 Super Bowl contestants were in the top 2 in sacks.

And, if you're conceding that the pass rush sucks ass, there's really no need to continue this.

Also, you should probably take another look at what pedantic means, since something as broad and basic as "pass rush sucks" doesn't really fit the bill.

Last edited:
Not sure how much weight this was has what the heck, I was listening to Rich Eisen podcast just now and Peter King said he heard the Pats aren't going to get a pass rusher in FA and will do it from within...take FWIW...

Not sure how much weight this was has what the heck, I was listening to Rich Eisen podcast just now and Peter King said he heard the Pats aren't going to get a pass rusher in FA and will do it from within...take FWIW...

Interesting link?

Course "best fit" does not mean he think Pats will sign him.

They're going to replace TBC with a 6th round rookie and call it a day?

I'm thinking they'll look for someone, even if it's a mediocrity, to come in and compete for a job.

No, rahter I would think that Tully's reps would expect to go to the rest of the top four OLB's. After all, all of the four were learning the system last year.

I agree that Belichick will being in a couple of OLB JAGs or perhaps mid-level players to compete for a roster spot, or as insurance in case of injuries. As of now, I would project.

Cunningham, Ninkovich, Moore, Fletcher, Murrell
PS: Carter

They're going to replace TBC with a 6th round rookie and call it a day?

I'm thinking they'll look for someone, even if it's a mediocrity, to come in and compete for a job.

No, actually, it's a bunch of fans talking about what's going on. The Patriots were at the bottom of the league in pressuring the QB without the blitz. The Patriots haven't addressed it via high draft picks. Since 2007, the Patriots haven't addressed it via significant free agent moves. The Patriots haven't addressed it via trade. The Patriots couldn't pressure Sanchez last year in the playoff game, and that was part of the problem in the loss to the Jets. That's context. The problems of other teams, however, is not.

I have, however, taken the time in the past to point out the recent correlation between sacks and the Super Bowl:

2010: Steelers and Packers were #1 and #2

2009: Saints were #13, Colts were #16

2008: Steelers were #2, Cardinals were #14

2007: Giants were #1, Patriots were #2

So, in the last 4 years, 5 of the 8 Super Bowl contestants were in the top 2 in sacks.

And, if you're conceding that the pass rush sucks ass, there's really no need to continue this.

Also, you should probably take another look at what pedantic means, since something as broad and basic as "pass rush sucks" doesn't really fit the bill.

I can fully understand why you wish to keep deflecting my question.

I didn't ask you to make your own context relating specifically to pass rush/sacks - I asked you to correlate some other factors with success - because we all know that stats can be manipulated.

Seeing as you are struggling with my simple request i'll give you a start....

Correlation between passing yardage and SB appearances:

2007 - Patriots 1st Giants 21st

2008 - Steelers 17th Cardinals 2nd

2009 - Saints 4th Colts 2nd

2010 - Packers 5th Steelers 14th

So, in the last 4 years, 5 of the 8 Super Bowl contestants were in the top 5 in passing yardage.

Correlation between Yard per passing attempt and SB appearances:

2007 - Patriots 1st Giants 27th

2008 - Steelers 12th Cardinals 6th

2009 - Saints 3rd Colts 10th

2010 - Packers 3rd Steelers 2nd

So, in the last 4 years, 6 of the 8 Super Bowl contestants were in the top 10 in yard per passing attempt.

Last edited:
..............we'll all hold our breath and turn blue?

...we will again be 1 & Done in the POs.

I can fully understand why you wish to keep deflecting my question.

I've not deflected at all. I'm sorry your reading comprehension isn't where it should be.

Also, top 2 is a hell of a lot more telling than top 5 or 10. Nice try on that, though. ;)

Finally, the team just went out and grabbed Haynesworth, who's a pocket collapser, so you should take it up with Belichick now.

Last edited:

Deus Irae, you are RIGHT ON THE MONEY, one million percent. BB agrees with you, because today he traded for a player, that in Tennesee was the single best pocker collapser in the NFL. None of us are sure if we'll get the Redskin whiner, or the great Titan player, but this trade was no accident.

...... will you be irked (and please don't say they took care of it in the draft with the Markell Carter pick)?:)

I for one will be irked if we have to go another year watching opposing QBs eat picnic lunches before they throw their passes.

Discuss:

belichick doesn't want his fans irked.

Once again, Peter the Queen of All Media is Wrong,
and those who understood that the same line-up which ended last season was unacceptable
for this season (including, it seems, Bill himself) are correct.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News