PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

If BB asked for your advice, what position should he take first in the draft?

THE HUB FOR PATRIOTS FANS SINCE 2000

MORE PINNED POSTS:
Replies:
OT: Bad news - "it" is back...
Replies:
Very sad news: RIP Joker
Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

What position should BB address first?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
WR is clearly the greatest need ad a position where there is starting space available, unlike their other big needs, but it still comes down to how the board falls on draft day, who is sitting there when they are on the clock, and what other teams are offering to move down. As much as i want a WR with 2 of their first 3 picks if a guy like Werner is still on the board they have to take a serious look at making him the choice, especially if the run on Wr's in the 20's takes place as predicted, as there isn't much sense in taking the 6th best WR when the 2nd best corner or DE/OLB is on the board. In fact Mayock now has Hayden as the best corner in the draft and he could well be there when the Patriots are picking, and i can't remember the last time that happened.

This is the strangest draft I can remember looking at leading up to it. There are numerous players that the mocks have going both in the 20's and in the 40's to 50's, like Keenan Allen and Jesse Williams. I have never seen anywhere near this kind of uncertainty heading into a draft and that makes it pretty much impossible to know where prospects may be going or available, let alone have any idea where teams actually have them rated. Ultimately it is probably going to be best player available at WR/CB/or DL, and i will be fine with a whole bunch of them as i also cannot remember when there were so many good prospects in the 20-50 range. This draft is definitely weak at the top but the 2nd and 3rd rounds may be as strong as we have ever seen.

Agree 100%, The Pats need top notch talent at WR to keep teams honest on defense. The teams that shut the Pats down, shut down the middle of the field (TE's and slot receivers) because we had nobody that could get deep and keep teams honest. I also agree our needs being WR/CB and DL in that order. But I can easily see the Pats going CB or DL in the first round. If they can come away from the draft, having drafted 2 big talented WR's, I'd be thrilled.

not easy to project

Dependent on what is available, first choice is a fast receiver who might be able to understand the offense..

A) I don't see us drafting a WR at 29 not named Austin, Patterson or Allen: and I think that they will all be long gone.

B) I don't think anyone will grade high enough at DE or DT. Of course, we'd like an upgrade. It just isn't clear that even a likely 2014 starter is there at 29.

C) There will almost assuredly be reasonable corners available at 29 and continuing into the mid 2nd.

CONCLUSION
1) Review offers to move down, if there are any reasonable ones at all.
2) See how many solid corners are left.
3) Make the decision.

BOTTOM LINE
We will likely pick a corner with our first pick, perhaps after a trade down.

If Bill Belichick called me for draft advice, I'd probably tell him to hang up and call Ozzie Newsome, after I got off the floor and took a big whiff of smelling salts.

The Ravens have been amazing at picking guys on both sides of the ball since he took over. Belichick helped 'em along with Ray Lewis when he was the Browns coach the year of the move from Cleveland, but that team was pretty close to being an expansion team when Ozzie took the reins. It has been a force to be dealt with in the AFC for over a decade, mostly built from within.

The other teams that have been consistently impressive in the draft over the past decade are the Giants, the Steelers, and the Saints.

A) I don't see us drafting a WR at 29 not named Austin, Patterson or Allen: and I think that they will all be long gone.

B) I don't think anyone will grade high enough at DE or DT. Of course, we'd like an upgrade. It just isn't clear that even a likely 2014 starter is there at 29.

C) There will almost assuredly be reasonable corners available at 29 and continuing into the mid 2nd.

CONCLUSION
1) Review offers to move down, if there are any reasonable ones at all.
2) See how many solid corners are left.
3) Make the decision.

BOTTOM LINE
We will likely pick a corner with our first pick, perhaps after a trade down.

I would bet DL with their first pick, especially if they stay put.

I would bet DL with their first pick, especially if they stay put.

But if you don't like Hunt, then who? If pre-draft contacts are an indication (and they are), they're not going DT although I do think Jesse Williams might have a chance with a Saban endorsement. But unless Werner or Carradine fall, what DE's are there to draft? Okafor? Damontre Moore?

Whoever is a guy we want most and is at best value.

Pre-deciding you're going to draft a position at x spot is just stupid.

a Lawrence Taylor clone for LT's position...

But if you don't like Hunt, then who? If pre-draft contacts are an indication (and they are), they're not going DT although I do think Jesse Williams might have a chance with a Saban endorsement. But unless Werner or Carradine fall, what DE's are there to draft? Okafor? Damontre Moore?

I wasn't saying that would be my choice i just think that belichick puts a premium on DL, and looking at the DL, DB's, and Wr's available i think there is a strong likelihood they will end up with a DL, but as with everything else it depends entirely upon who is gone and who is left. It's all a guessing game but I believe that if werner does fall that far they will take him, and if Jesse Williams or Sylvester Williams are still on the board then they are going to get serious consideration.

My short board at the pick looks like this:

B. Werner-DE Pass rush is too important and Werner too good to pass up.

J. Hunter- WR I know it's risky but a real deep threat could really open up everything offensively.

D. Hopkins-WR His YPC in college is substantially higher than Woods or Allen. he looks like a complete package at the position.

DJ Hayden-CB If he is still there then his potential is off the charts and I think they can still get receivers in the 2nd and 3rd who are close to value to Woods and Allen.

R. Woods WR-He appears to be pro ready and may assimilate the offense quicker than the rest of the highly ranked WR's

J. Williams-He is still raw but could be a force beside Wilfork.

J. Taylor CB-While corner isn't the priority WR is taylor looks like he could start for them when Talib leaves and provide depth for this season, which at corner is always needed.

S. Williams DL-If J. Williams is gone then S. Williams would be my next choice.

I wouldn't take D. Moore, D. Jones, M. Hunt, and K. Allen has dropped to the 2nd due to his speed concerns. I can see him in the 2nd but i want a more explosive WR in the first.

All of these choices are made with the understanding that a good number of other players are off the board, e.g..T. Austin, D. Millner, S. Richardson etc....

The ratings could change a little the next couple of days but not much, i would likely take these players in this order if they couldn't move down for more picks.

If he called me to ask for help I would tell him it is time to retire if he cares about what fans think.

:D

I see the need for a great wide receiver, but their impact on the field isn't always observable. Brady has done a lot with smart receivers and smarts can be found in later rounds. Brady can't directly effect the defense, and as such we need as many play makers and leaders we can for the defense. A defensive player has impact on every down. A WR doesn't.

I suggest if a starter could be found for a defensive tackle in BBs system we make that move.

WR or CB, whichever is a better value.

Needs:
WR - the Pats need a starter, plain and simple. If they double up on a position this year like they've done the last 3 years (2010 TE, 2011 RB, 2012 DE), it'll be this one. Rounds 1-3, rounds 2-4 (2 WR picks)

OL - pretty much no depth, especially at tackle. Round 3 onward

DT - as much as you guys hate it, I think the Pats are content with who they have after FA gave them Armstead and Kelly. There isn't much room for a DT to make the team. Deaderick and Love might not be starters but they're too good to cut. Predicting they don't draft one

DE - after picking Jones and Bequette early last year, you'd expect them not to pick another DE early. Maybe a late guy to compete with Benard/Vega/etc. Round 5 onward

LB - I don't see very many people saying this is a need but I think it is. We have no coverage LB (Fletcher perhaps, but he gets hurt all the time and isn't necessarily all that great anyway). There's also no depth. Can't have Tracy White and Mike Rivera starting because of one or two injuries. The first round isn't a good time to target role players and depth but I'm thinking Round 2 onward

CB - not much room in the starting lineup so I'm more inclined to take a WR in round 1. However, Talib could be gone next year so it might be worth taking a CB in the first round, especially with the talent predicted to be available at 29. Slot CB is all set after the big bucks Arrington got. Rounds 1-3

S - it looks bleak now and for the future at S, but we can't forget that Tavon Wilson was picked in the mid-second last year. The team probably expects him to improve and start at some point and wouldn't give up on him after one year. Round 3 onward

I think there will be tons of trading. I can't predict any players because I don't know enough, but I see it playing out like this:

1. WR
2. CB
3. WR
7. T
7. LB

After watching the AFCCG several times and dissecting the main issue on defense in the second half, I would say to Coach that the team needs a speedy coverage LB, specifically, Arthur Brown from KSU if he's there at 29. He could instantly replace Spikes/Hightower in sub packages (and potentially replace Spikes altogether if he walks next season).

Brown would look great in a Patriots uniform alongside Mayo and could fix the issue of coverage in the middle of the field and RBs slipping out the back-field. They along, with Hightower, could easily make up the best 4-3 LB trio in the NFL by a wide margin for may years to come.

This is interesting. When I looked at the game (not as thoroughly, I freely admit) what I saw was a team that simply could not get any pressure on the quarterback and a lot of bad things followed from that. Am I wrong?

WR or CB, whichever is a better value.

Needs:
WR - the Pats need a starter, plain and simple. If they double up on a position this year like they've done the last 3 years (2010 TE, 2011 RB, 2012 DE), it'll be this one. Rounds 1-3, rounds 2-4 (2 WR picks)

OL - pretty much no depth, especially at tackle. Round 3 onward

DT - as much as you guys hate it, I think the Pats are content with who they have after FA gave them Armstead and Kelly. There isn't much room for a DT to make the team. Deaderick and Love might not be starters but they're too good to cut. Predicting they don't draft one

DE - after picking Jones and Bequette early last year, you'd expect them not to pick another DE early. Maybe a late guy to compete with Benard/Vega/etc. Round 5 onward

LB - I don't see very many people saying this is a need but I think it is. We have no coverage LB (Fletcher perhaps, but he gets hurt all the time and isn't necessarily all that great anyway). There's also no depth. Can't have Tracy White and Mike Rivera starting because of one or two injuries. The first round isn't a good time to target role players and depth but I'm thinking Round 2 onward

CB - not much room in the starting lineup so I'm more inclined to take a WR in round 1. However, Talib could be gone next year so it might be worth taking a CB in the first round, especially with the talent predicted to be available at 29. Slot CB is all set after the big bucks Arrington got. Rounds 1-3

S - it looks bleak now and for the future at S, but we can't forget that Tavon Wilson was picked in the mid-second last year. The team probably expects him to improve and start at some point and wouldn't give up on him after one year. Round 3 onward

I think there will be tons of trading. I can't predict any players because I don't know enough, but I see it playing out like this:

1. WR
2. CB
3. WR
7. T
7. LB

This is pretty much how I see it too, the only thing I quibble with is the OL. I think we're fine at OT with Cannon and Svitek - it's at OG we have depth issues.

This is pretty much how I see it too, the only thing I quibble with is the OL. I think we're fine at OT with Cannon and Svitek - it's at OG we have depth issues.

Actually, I think you're absolutely right. My bad.

Since BB has an aversion to WR, I'd still like a CB better than Arrington.
So you want Arrington to earn his $16M by sitting on the bench?

As others have said, it comes down to how the board sets up. In a perfect world, I would address WR, CB or DL first but I'm not blindly taking one of those positions regardless of value.

This is interesting. When I looked at the game (not as thoroughly, I freely admit) what I saw was a team that simply could not get any pressure on the quarterback and a lot of bad things followed from that. Am I wrong?
Your logic is correct. Along with that, I also believe the pass rush needs to be improved too especially from the interior. Coverage and pass rush obviously goes hand in hand. The Patriots did not get to Flacco enough to harass him and force him into making bad decisions, something he does when he's pressured consistently. Despite this, his receivers generated enough separation due to poor coverage and bad angles that it didn't matter much even if they did get to him often.

While the numerical value doesn't mean much, they did get 2 sacks (same as the 49ers amassed in the super bowl against the them), while the Ravens had zero sacks but forced a plethora of Patriots' mistakes through coverage in sub packages and LOS physicality. Just purely judging by those numbers one could make the claim that the Patriots generated more pressure than Baltimore but we know that isn't case and doesn't tell us the full story, as the game itself showed. It's all about forcing significant mistakes and so forth. This is a prime example of why glossy stats like sacks don't always mean your team is a great pass rushing team, as there are other factors involved. Sometimes its better to be great at coverage than it is to be good at generating pressure, because that too can fail. And when it does fail you're even more vulnerable (just ask Denver). At least if your team isn't getting any pressure you can hang your hat on the ability to cover enough to force mistakes and the like.

Moreover, the so called vaunted 49ers pass rush did not fare much better than the Patriots did statistically, especially against the Ravens' vertical passing game in the super bowl, not because they generated zero pass rush, but because their coverage in the secondary was abysmal, specifically Chris Culliver's on just about any Ravens pass catcher. They got burnt deep whether they got to Flacco or not. Their coverage in the back-end was the issue there.

The coverage in the middle of the Patriots defense was also abysmal and paid a huge factor in the Ravens decision to use shorter passing schemes to attack that area successfully in the second half. Gregory and Cole were liabilities of course, but Spikes for all his great instinctual play was the most flagrant culprit for their cover deficiency. He just does not possess the foot speed and lateral quickness to excel in any man-cover assignment and gets easily exposed in today's open spaced NFL. This can be improved, possibly with a talented prospect like KSU's Arthur Brown.

DL. This draft is flush with receivers (I have every faith McDaniels will hit). I want a ridiculous Front 3 or 4 that will terrorise an opponent's line.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST