PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

If BB asked for your advice, what position should he take first in the draft?

THE HUB FOR PATRIOTS FANS SINCE 2000

MORE PINNED POSTS:
Replies:
Very sad news: RIP Joker
Replies:
OT: Bad news - "it" is back...
Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

What position should BB address first?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
DL. This draft is flush with receivers (I have every faith McDaniels will hit). I want a ridiculous Front 3 or 4 that will terrorise an opponent's line.

Agreed. There should be some interesting options at WR later. I think the rumored interest in Michael Johnson of the Bengals might be and indication the front office feels DL is of the upmost importance as well.

WR is clearly the greatest need ad a position where there is starting space available, unlike their other big needs, but it still comes down to how the board falls on draft day, who is sitting there when they are on the clock, and what other teams are offering to move down. As much as i want a WR with 2 of their first 3 picks if a guy like Werner is still on the board they have to take a serious look at making him the choice, especially if the run on Wr's in the 20's takes place as predicted, as there isn't much sense in taking the 6th best WR when the 2nd best corner or DE/OLB is on the board. In fact Mayock now has Hayden as the best corner in the draft and he could well be there when the Patriots are picking, and i can't remember the last time that happened.

This is the strangest draft I can remember looking at leading up to it. There are numerous players that the mocks have going both in the 20's and in the 40's to 50's, like Keenan Allen and Jesse Williams. I have never seen anywhere near this kind of uncertainty heading into a draft and that makes it pretty much impossible to know where prospects may be going or available, let alone have any idea where teams actually have them rated. Ultimately it is probably going to be best player available at WR/CB/or DL, and i will be fine with a whole bunch of them as i also cannot remember when there were so many good prospects in the 20-50 range. This draft is definitely weak at the top but the 2nd and 3rd rounds may be as strong as we have ever seen.

This last paragraph may be the biggest reason why the Pats end up trading out of the first round. Perhaps they pick up a 2nd and a 3rd, thereby getting two players of the same caliber instead of just one.

But to answer the question, I actually have mixed feelings. On the one hand I think the team is loaded, but on the other hand I see some real needs. I think the biggest need is a big play WR. The draft is not real strong in that position, though, so if one is available when they make their selection, that's what I'd do.

i said dl because i believe getting another DE like carradine to pair with jones would help the entire defense or a DT like kawann short or sylvester williams who can penetrate and get to the QB would be huge i think WR is number 2 and then a coverage lb or cb would be third

I think that you have this right.

SOME NITPICKS
1) I think that we are fine at OT depth with Cannon and Svitek. It is Thomas that we have not replaced. So, I would look for a backup OG (free agency would be best).

2) I suspect that we will trade down and have an extra 3rd.

WR or CB, whichever is a better value.

Needs:
WR - the Pats need a starter, plain and simple. If they double up on a position this year like they've done the last 3 years (2010 TE, 2011 RB, 2012 DE), it'll be this one. Rounds 1-3, rounds 2-4 (2 WR picks)

OL - pretty much no depth, especially at tackle. Round 3 onward

DT - as much as you guys hate it, I think the Pats are content with who they have after FA gave them Armstead and Kelly. There isn't much room for a DT to make the team. Deaderick and Love might not be starters but they're too good to cut. Predicting they don't draft one

DE - after picking Jones and Bequette early last year, you'd expect them not to pick another DE early. Maybe a late guy to compete with Benard/Vega/etc. Round 5 onward

LB - I don't see very many people saying this is a need but I think it is. We have no coverage LB (Fletcher perhaps, but he gets hurt all the time and isn't necessarily all that great anyway). There's also no depth. Can't have Tracy White and Mike Rivera starting because of one or two injuries. The first round isn't a good time to target role players and depth but I'm thinking Round 2 onward

CB - not much room in the starting lineup so I'm more inclined to take a WR in round 1. However, Talib could be gone next year so it might be worth taking a CB in the first round, especially with the talent predicted to be available at 29. Slot CB is all set after the big bucks Arrington got. Rounds 1-3

S - it looks bleak now and for the future at S, but we can't forget that Tavon Wilson was picked in the mid-second last year. The team probably expects him to improve and start at some point and wouldn't give up on him after one year. Round 3 onward

I think there will be tons of trading. I can't predict any players because I don't know enough, but I see it playing out like this:

1. WR
2. CB
3. WR
7. T
7. LB

Your logic is correct. Along with that, I also believe the pass rush needs to be improved too especially from the interior. Coverage and pass rush obviously goes hand in hand. The Patriots did not get to Flacco enough to harass him and force him into making bad decisions, something he does when he's pressured consistently. Despite this, his receivers generated enough separation due to poor coverage and bad angles that it didn't matter much even if they did get to him often.

While the numerical value doesn't mean much, they did get 2 sacks (same as the 49ers amassed in the super bowl against the them), while the Ravens had zero sacks but forced a plethora of Patriots' mistakes through coverage in sub packages and LOS physicality. Just purely judging by those numbers one could make the claim that the Patriots generated more pressure than Baltimore but we know that isn't case and doesn't tell us the full story, as the game itself showed. It's all about forcing significant mistakes and so forth. This is a prime example of why glossy stats like sacks don't always mean your team is a great pass rushing team, as there are other factors involved. Sometimes its better to be great at coverage than it is to be good at generating pressure, because that too can fail. And when it does fail you're even more vulnerable (just ask Denver). At least if your team isn't getting any pressure you can hang your hat on the ability to cover enough to force mistakes and the like.

Moreover, the so called vaunted 49ers pass rush did not fare much better than the Patriots did statistically, especially against the Ravens' vertical passing game in the super bowl, not because they generated zero pass rush, but because their coverage in the secondary was abysmal, specifically Chris Culliver's on just about any Ravens pass catcher. They got burnt deep whether they got to Flacco or not. Their coverage in the back-end was the issue there.

The coverage in the middle of the Patriots defense was also abysmal and paid a huge factor in the Ravens decision to use shorter passing schemes to attack that area successfully in the second half. Gregory and Cole were liabilities of course, but Spikes for all his great instinctual play was the most flagrant culprit for their cover deficiency. He just does not possess the foot speed and lateral quickness to excel in any man-cover assignment and gets easily exposed in today's open spaced NFL. This can be improved, possibly with a talented prospect like KSU's Arthur Brown.

Thanks. Note: I did say pressure not "sacks". The impression I had was that Flacco could take his time and pick his spots. Any QB who can do that is likely to look good unless the defense is exceptional. And, yes, the quality of the Ravens' O-line all the way through to the Superbowl was the biggest surprise to me.

The Pats don't exactly have a stellar record when it comes to drafting DB's and WR's, they are pretty good at drafting front Seven players. So if i was going to give any advice it would be take a DLineman, to put more pressure on the QB and make it easier for the DB's. Theres an old saying 'the closer a player is to the ball the more impact he has'

DL. This draft is flush with receivers (I have every faith McDaniels will hit). I want a ridiculous Front 3 or 4 that will terrorise an opponent's line.

A 2nd DL who demands double teams on every play the way Seymour/Wilfork did would be optimal but the problem is actually getting the DL who will do that. I also believe that the saying reflexblue just posted about closer to the ball having more impact is how Belichick sees things on the whole and impacts his drafting and how he pays players, he clearly doesn't likme paying corners and WR's.

Given BBs track record with first round picks he will expect that player to take a significant role right away. If not starting day 1, he should be able to play a majority of the reps and move into a starting role as the season goes on. Looking at each of the teams position the best opportunity for a first round pick to rise to the top would be WR, OG/C, and maybe DT if Kelly busts. Given that a top OG/C can be selected in the 2nd round and BB has already shown he wants another impact WR. I have good confidence that he will be aiming for one in the 1st round this draft.

I know this was supposed to be what I would do, but how could I not agree with BB? :)

EDIT: If the WR he wants is not there he will probably trade back and get more picks in the later rounds since we are missing a few.

What position should Coach Bill take first in the draft?

Well, first position, naturally. tehee.

"Oh my gawd, Pewster. How gay was that?"
Hey, ima jus' runnin' with Joker's ballet theme of last week.

Attachments

• Picture 437.jpg
    Picture 437.jpg
    13.5 KB · Views: 33
I would tell him take whatever position has the best player available on it.

Knowing this is a cop out, in the poll I selected DL because I expect a good DE or DT to slip due to the depth at that position.

I originally voted CB, because that is the area where I believed the most bang for the buck could go. A guy could come in and work into the rotation a little bit and then take over for Talib next year, ready to go.

However, I have been persuaded to the DL side. The Patriots need somebody who can consistently provide pressure opposite of Jones. That player would improve the secondary by their presence and make the other DL job's easier. So, I am going with a pass rusher, interior/exterior...whomever is the best at the pick.

I would like to see a WR, but I just do not believe the Patriots will be able to find an impact player at the position, especially in year 1-2, which is half of BRady's window of opportunity.

Tighten up the pass-rush and secondary, play better defense, run the ball, use the TEs and find WRs in the 3rd round+ and FA.

I vote for DL. If they can improve their pass rushing, it will serve to improve the defensive backfield. And I believe they will get enough offense (assuming health) to win a lot of games. Having a great d-line solves a lot of problems.

This. McD has to have some say in that dept. He can pick wr's well enough. Which dl is the question.

The more that I read about this Hunt guy, the more that I like. I wouldn't be upset if BB takes him. He would be a better 2nd round pick though.

I have to admit having no earthly idea what position BB will pick at 29, if he does in fact make a selection there. I have the feeling a trade down is in the cards but I thought that was the case last year as well and he traded UP twice!

But clearly WR is the biggest need position with just a few days till the draft.

I voted other. People who voted any position either hemmed and hawed or are mentally defective.

No player is worth trading up for. You may not have a market for trading down. If you have to pick, what is left?

I'd say DT, but if a run at 13-22 gets all the good ones and a WR is the best available, why is need dictating the decision?

I voted other. People who voted any position either hemmed and hawed or are mentally defective.

No player is worth trading up for. You may not have a market for trading down. If you have to pick, what is left?

I'd say DT, but if a run at 13-22 gets all the good ones and a WR is the best available, why is need dictating the decision?

I hope you're joking. If Ziggy Ansah or dee Milliner falls to #27 and you don't think he's worth trading up for, then it isn't me or us that are mentally defective.

whew...I thought the draft had already passed....anyway....

heh...member #2 of the No Life Club...thought I was alone here for a minute...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Back