PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Idle Thoughts - the home field advantage edition.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I thought that play was curious as well and that Talib wasn't on the field the next play added to my curiousity. Did they know something about Talib to make them run that play?

Lewis shook him and had a half a step on him. If the throw was better, that could have been 6.

By the way, I hope all of the people whining about the targets Edelman was getting paid close attention to the amount of separation the other receivers were getting in the first half as Brady was trying to spread the ball out. How much separation were they getting? Next to none. And the offense was stagnant. Edelman could not be covered at points yesterday and the offense finally got moving through the air when the ball went to him. Spreading the ball around just to do it produced zero results. The other receivers only got going when Edelman starting demanding consistent double teams.

Speaking of exemplary officiating, anyone catch Ed "Guns" Hochuli in prime form yesterday?

Ed Hochuli accidentally called an incomplete pass a TD

I did. He immediately returned to the center of the field and sheepishly corrected himself, acknowledging his error. I thought it was a good moment for him, especially when you compare him to his ******* boss, Dean Blandino, who will insult our intelligence by not admitting blown calls.

By the way, I hope all of the people whining about the targets Edelman was getting paid close attention to the amount of separation the other receivers were getting in the first half as Brady was trying to spread the ball out. How much separation were they getting? Next to none. And the offense was stagnant. Edelman could not be covered at points yesterday and the offense finally got moving through the air when the ball went to him. Spreading the ball around just to do it produced zero results. The other receivers only got going when Edelman starting demanding consistent double teams.

I saw sometimes 2 defenders and on occasion 3 guys around The Squirrel on targets. WTF?
That said, TFB made the pinpoint throws and Edelperson made the catches.

This game, like last weeks game, felt like a playoff game. Games that you know will be tight and hard fought.

Actually for Denver, this was a playoff game.

great read Ken

Great post, Ken! This win was delicious! Great to see Lewis playing well again. Nice insights on the O-Line and home field advantage. These last two games have really solidified this team.

This Pats edition is a tough, smash-mouth team with tremendous discipline and depth. The personnel rotations on the defensive side of the ball are very effective, especially at this time of the year. Compared to 2015, our injury situation is way better.

The TJ Ward play on Edelman was a cheap shot. The Denver D doesn't lose with any class at all. Wish I could have seen their post-game locker room shouting match with their O-Line!

Hard to believe how well we are positioned for a deep playoff run at this point, considering how badly the NFL* f*cked-up our first four games. Never wanted a Super Bowl more than this year.

9. General comments

a. I have to admit, it was a Walt Coleman game and I was suitably scared, but despite the impression early that they were calling weak holding calls on the Pats while letting Denver hold at will, the calls evened out. In fact there were only 9 penalties accepted all game, which I consider good. The Pats only had 4 for 30, while the Bronco's only had 5 for 49.

b. The 15 yd PF against Ward was perhaps the easiest call an official had to make all year. What an enormously STUPID play by a guy who was flexing while they threw the flag. I hope the shot of him flexing after such a dirty hit gets wide viewership, because it killed the last shot that Denver had to perhaps get back in this game. I didn't realize just how bad a play it was until I saw the replay. What an assh*le.

I mentioned in the Game Thread and in the post game thread that Coleman and his crew missed 3 MAJOR calls..

- The horse collar tackle by Davis that took Bennett OOBs on his 34 yard reception. Davis clearly had him by the back of the collar of the jersey.
- The facemask by Stewart on Malcolm Mitchell's reception.
- The taunting penalty that should have been called on TJ Ward after he slammed Edelman to the ground and stood over him, flexing his muscles.

Yes, they let a lot of the holding by the O-line go. On both sides. They typically let the first one go that a player did and called the second one. They did it with Okung and Andrews both..

Great read Ken and great explanation about the snap count...which Denver timed so well last year.
The Pats game plan yesterday was ultra conservative due to weather, stadium, Bronco's secondary / neophyte QB.....limit mistakes and take advantage of opportunities. Check and check.

So many positives and Ken hit them all. I too wished for more play action and was yelling at the TV exactly 10 seconds prior to Brady hitting Bennett for the big gain. Hats off to Marty for battling through multiple obstacles to make that play work.

My only pause for concern going forward is NE's lack of end zone options without Gronk. Inside the 5, it's Blount or bust and Josh needs to solve this problem.

With 2 games to go, I'm very curious how the entire AFC shakes out. NE will roll the JESTs and then head to Miami...a team that can look very good at times. Given last year's Patriots performance in Miami, I have to believe BB wants to remind Miami who is boss of the division. Natural order must be maintained

I disagree with the idea that it's "Blount or Bust" inside the 5.

- Bennett is a huge target there.
- There are plays for Lewis and White that they had last year that they still haven't used.
- Edelman is a target along the end zone.
- Mitchell and Hogan are both capable receivers down there. We've seen it already.

Many people believe that the Patriots added Floyd particularly for his Red Zone Prowess. We'll see if he makes the most of his chance. As Brady said "He's got to define a role for himself".

The offense was pretty and without Edelman in there. Perhaps Edelman shouldn't be returning punts.

The other thing was that the bounces finally evened out. Brady's fumbles as well as Lewis' one came right back tp them and Blount's was when his knee was already on the ground. In the past (2006 playoff game) those are the fumbles that Den recovers ( see muff last year) Yesterday was their turn to go -3 in turnovers.... credit to PAts D for that////

"- The taunting penalty that should have been called on TJ Ward after he slammed Edelman to the ground and stood over him, flexing his muscles. "

They called him for unnecessary roughness for the body slam. Same difference.

One last thought before I retire that I should have mentioned in the OP:

This is a very physically TOUGH team, as well as being mentally tough. It kind of reminds me of those teams in the early 2000's that really physically beat teams up to the point where after playing the Pats regardless of the results of that game, usually played a sub par game in their next contest because they were still feeling the effects of the Pats game. That 2001 team comes immediately to mind.

I wonder what the record of the teams we have played this year in the games that followed their game with the Pats. I'd do it myself, but its almost 2am and I'm getting sleepy. ;)

How teams fared after playing the Pats is interesting, for sure. I remember that '01 team very well, especially for this one statistic.

9 of the teams they've faced have won the following week, and 5 have lost. Perhaps more relevant to the moment, 3 of the last 4 teams we've faced have lost, the only exception being Baltimore which won 27-26 yesterday against Philly.

Yeah, I want to get to the point where teams actually face a degree of angst facing the Pats. Hopefully, we're getting there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
Back