PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Idle Thoughts - the home field advantage edition.

Status
Not open for further replies.
a. Maybe NOW Marcus Cannon will start to get some all pro consideration and some LONG over due recognition. He was simply awesome. He's always been a good run blocker, but he is amazingly nimble for big fat guy. CBS did a great job in showing just how good he was playing, because Miller was working hard and made moves that often get him wins. Now there are a lot people who are going to jump on board here, especially in the media, and give Dante a lot of the credit for the turn around from last season, and as much as I think Dante IS important, I still believe a big part of Denver's success last season was that BOTH Cannon and Volmer played very hurt

b. James Devlin was a beast in the run game as he has been all season. His absence last season was probably the most under rated injury of the bunch.
We should cut MArcus Cannon in preseason.
JAmes Develin
Malcolm Butler

I hate Talib. When he was here cost us two potential SB and now is the best CB in league. He was covering Bennet, Lewis(shame that Lewis stoped on that pass) so many different guys. That D is really good.

I know that they played in that kind of enviroment but that offensive performance scares me. I know this is only one game and Denver D is good., but remember their goal is SB and if that kind thing happens against some good offensive team, bye bye FU Godell handing that trophy to MVP Brady.
With Derek Wolfe absent they should put more than 16 points.

Some poster above write about uptempo offense. Was there uptempo? I was thinking that this year there wasnt many uptempo and in this game too.

re OL

Interesting thing the Sky Sports pundit Jeff Reinebold was highlighting before the game was how Pats OL (especially Cannon) stands far away from the scrimmage (in clear pass protection I suppose) and how this will be a problem for Von Miller because he needs longer to make initial contact leaving him less time and leverage to make his move and get to TB.

Combine that with Von Miller's explanation how his key advantage is the first step from the line of scrimmage and you have a recipe for Cannon to succeed .. along with great insight (by Dante I suppose) to keep his hands away from Miller (as strange as it sounds) so that he cannot use the grab to make his move.

Cannon's execution yesterday was not only perfection but also a thing of beauty.

While I enjoy every game, the past two weeks have been more enjoyable. Watching the defense grow and mature has been great.. less dependent on Hightower and much more complimentary than it has been in a long while. Oh the horrors Chandler Jones is gone!! Oh the horrors they traded Jamie Collins!! Those moves which raised many fans ire have paid off as the whole D seems to be on the same page.

Special teams also seemed better in all aspects of that part of the game, Gostowski seems to be back... hooray!!!

Offensively we did not put up big numbers, but big enough numbers to win.. in the end there are no style points in the NFL. Do not worry about this phase of the game.. with Dion Lewis hitting his stride this is a very good thing. Nice to see Brown Grad, Develin part of the O..

This team has so many unsung heroes and complimentary players it illustrates how BB builds his team an orchestrates them into a meaningful force that confuses the crap out of the teams we face. Patricia's brilliance was on display as was McDaniels we took what they offered.

Two words. Smart. Tough.
(Probably the two words BB cherishes the most.)
It was a perfect chess match .. with tough attitude from all the pieces on the board.
You could see from the beginning how BB is slowly but surely tying the not for a checkmate.
And after some warmup hiccups Brady was the queen BB wanted out there - reserved, patient, deadly.

Great read Ken and great explanation about the snap count...which Denver timed so well last year.
The Pats game plan yesterday was ultra conservative due to weather, stadium, Bronco's secondary / neophyte QB.....limit mistakes and take advantage of opportunities. Check and check.

So many positives and Ken hit them all. I too wished for more play action and was yelling at the TV exactly 10 seconds prior to Brady hitting Bennett for the big gain. Hats off to Marty for battling through multiple obstacles to make that play work.

My only pause for concern going forward is NE's lack of end zone options without Gronk. Inside the 5, it's Blount or bust and Josh needs to solve this problem.

With 2 games to go, I'm very curious how the entire AFC shakes out. NE will roll the JESTs and then head to Miami...a team that can look very good at times. Given last year's Patriots performance in Miami, I have to believe BB wants to remind Miami who is boss of the division. Natural order must be maintained

Combine that with Von Miller's explanation how his key advantage is the first step from the line of scrimmage and you have a recipe for Cannon to succeed .. along with great insight (by Dante I suppose) to keep his hands away from Miller (as strange as it sounds) so that he cannot use the grab to make his move.

That explanation blew my mind. I remember last year someone mentioned that Cannon needed to use his arm length better but I would have never thought that could mean "not to use them". haha

The only play I really hated was going deep to Lewis against Talib.

I thought that play was curious as well and that Talib wasn't on the field the next play added to my curiousity. Did they know something about Talib to make them run that play?

Defense

a. I have to admit, it was a Walt Coleman game and I was suitably scared, but despite the impression early that they were calling weak holding calls on the Pats while letting Denver hold at will, the calls evened out.
Wasn't it Walt Anderson??
Like everybody I always mess them up....
Walt Coleman- Tuck game- good guy
Walt Anderson- Deflategate- take that gauge and shove it...........

One last thought before I retire that I should have mentioned in the OP:

This is a very physically TOUGH team, as well as being mentally tough. It kind of reminds me of those teams in the early 2000's that really physically beat teams up to the point where after playing the Pats regardless of the results of that game, usually played a sub par game in their next contest because they were still feeling the effects of the Pats game. That 2001 team comes immediately to mind.

I wonder what the record of the teams we have played this year in the games that followed their game with the Pats. I'd do it myself, but its almost 2am and I'm getting sleepy. ;)

The Pats opponents are 7-5 and a bye week after playing the Pats.

It was ugly on offense. This offense look's better when everyone's making plays. That place's like a house of horror for tommy. I just don't know what it is. I wished we had challenge their corners a little but we didn't wanna take that chance it seemed. Just happy to get the win and not go back there again this season.
I thought they should have ran more at times. But the change in tempo messed with Denver's D just enough with the up tempo.

Wasn't it Walt Anderson??
Like everybody I always mess them up....
Walt Coleman- Tuck game- good guy
Walt Anderson- Deflategate- take that gauge and shove it...........

Thanks to my sig line from 2001 I never make that mistake.

Free at last! Free at last! Thank Walt Coleman we're free at last!

FWIW I took it just the opposite -- that he's about winning, something he's been starved for in the NFL and wants all he can get.
Agree 100%! Should he force himself to act jaded? Great to see.

If there is a lesson we can learn as fans from this game is how the home field advantage can effect your game plan and dictate how you run your offense, and to a lesser degree your defensive game plan. Lets discuss this briefly before we get to the break down.

I'm sure I wasn't alone in wondering where our 450 ypg and 28 ppg offense was this game, and why the Pats chose NOT to throw the ball down the field much and why Brady looked so human against THIS team on THIS field. But the more I thought about It became clear that the home field was dictating the conservative nature of the play calling.
'
a. Remember one of the major factors in being able to run this offense, which can radically change week to week, is communications. In a really noisy stadium like Denver's trying to make changes at the LOS is much riskier than at home. If just one guy doesn't get the message, disaster looms. So often times you don't make a change you could make at home and have to stay with a play you wouldn't stay with at home and it affects how good your offesne can be.

b. The defensive pass rush has a massive advantage at home because of that noise. Knowing the snap count has been the offensive line's biggest advantage for over 100 years, but, away, in a noisy stadium, you lose that advantage because either the OL is moving on a silent snap which means the OL is getting off the ball by watching the snap, or getting off the ball on defensive movement. Both ways negate that huge advantage and affects production

c. In a similar nature, the fact that the offense has no noise, it allows them to expand their game plan, Makes it easier to get into the "right" play and the OL gets that big snap count advantage.

d. Again, on offense and defense communications are more critical here than they are in some other locations, and while it isn't an excuse for wins and loses, I just want it clear how it affects how THIS team will game plan and attack other teams especially when we play a team like Denver who are uniquely able to cover this particular passing offense.

OK thanks for the rant, lets get to the breakdown

Love ya Ken, but that's 400 words that says, "Denver is loud." ;)

Mitchell's catch was good enough that it SHOULD earn him more targets in the future

Yeah, he's already earned more targets, Brady's just got to create them. Interesting that Edelman didn't start the game as part of the two-receiver package, when Brady was clearly off. I do think the sun may have been a factor in the first quarter, BTW.

I wish Bennett was more of a factor in this game.

From what I can see, he blocked a lot and very well. I'd generally like to see him get more looks, but in this kind of tough, running game, I had no problem with it.

Part of the problem was Brady's impatience early in the game. He had a lot more time than he realized

Goes back to the Edelman/Mitchell point, may be some lingering effects from last year's terrible O-line play. He's got the time to spread it around.

General offensive comments: Josh McDaniels is a wildly successfull OC and an elite offensive mind in this league, but there are a couple of plays every game that just drive me nuts. One play was the 3rd and 2 when he was in a spread offense with no RB's, when I thought it was the perfect time to be in a running formation and if he wanted to pass, go to play action passing (PAP). It should be noted we made the first down on the pass, but it still drove me nuts.

There were a few times when the Pats went empty backfield at odd times, usually to not-great results. This game was tailor made for play-action.

Rowe had another solid outing. He's never going to be a great CB

Hey, second part of that is unnecessary! Like what I see there.

I didn't realize just how bad a play it was until I saw the replay

I didn't either, was more focused on the incompletion. On replay the blatant unsportsmanlike followed by the flexing was really atrocious (and the flexing pathetic.)

It's in the great tradition of the best of the Pats D's, where that focus is not on INDIVIDUAL players making INDIVIDUAL plays, but on the total scheme and using the group to create sack opportunities from a lot of people.

I'd say that about the offense too...this reminded me of 2003-2004. Just grind away on teams, don't make mistakes, and slowly drain the life from the opponents. I was glad Brady didn't force things, and hope he doesn't feel like he has "do more." This was a fantastic, playoff-type win.

Last edited:
The uptempo offense basically meant Miller couldn't time his jump as the play clock wound down. Not sure what they were doing, it was evident at one point that Andrews couldn't hear Brady.

Was that evidence the ball hitting Brady in the face when he wasn't ready for the snap?

I'm just glad they solved the head bobbing problem from last year's playoff game that was letting them tee off on the O-line.

"Very happy for all the vets like Bennett, Hogan, Van Noy, Long and McClellin who finally know what it feels like to go to the playoffs. I saw a clip from Long and he seemed like getting there is not going to be enough. He was not at all excited, though Marty was yelling for his "cap" as he came into the locker room. ;)"

Marty's reaction gave me pause as well. Marty is a different kind of cat, so maybe it is just Marty being Marty, but he plays for the Pats now and winning division championships are nice, but just another step along the road to the real prize.

We're on to the Rats.
The problem for PatsFans is we've become so accustomed to success that you need to pause for a moment and realize the sustained success this organization enjoys is atypical and for many, a division championship may be the pinnacle of their sporting career.

Part of the conservative play calling on offense had to do with Denver's secondary just smothering us in the first quarter. Brady was 0-6 before he got his first completion (some blame goes to White for his drops). And we found success soon thereafter with Lewis and Denver couldn't stop him. Their loss of Malik Jackson (to free agency) and Vance Johnson (to IR) really killed denver's run D.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back