PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Idle thoughts - the "God has a sense of humor" edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
Also interesting: I don't think Chung was ever targeted. Sounds like he took Luke Willson out of the game, who can be a pretty big safety valve.

By the DBs-are-only-mentioned-when-something-goes-bad standard, he outperformed Revis. (I had to check the snap count to make sure that he was out there for more than 1/3rd of the plays, but he was out there for over 75% of them.)

Reactions: PP2
BTW lafell stepping out of bounds before the Edelman TD, was something we couldve avoided and burnt precious time or force them to use a timeout. Not the best situational football.

BTW lafell stepping out of bounds before the Edelman TD, was something we couldve avoided and burnt precious time or force them to use a timeout. Not the best situational football.
He didn't step out on purpose. He made the catch to close to the sideline to be able to avoid it.

Everyone on both sidelines was going completely bananas, and the camera went to the face of Pete Carroll and BB. It was such a contrast. Pete Carroll had this ultra intense look on his face as he watched the game. Then they went to a side view of BB and he had this calm look on his face like he was deep in abstract thought, and I thought to myself that it looked like he was figuring out some complicated problem.
I just rewatched the game and this scene caught my attention, too. It looked like Pete was struggling to figure out why Bill wasn't calling timeout. Bill was serene knowing what he was up to but Pete was all "this does not compute". Bill won the game of chicken and Pete had to go with the play he'd called or burn a timeout.

BB had this calm look on his face like he was deep in abstract thought, and I thought to myself that it looked like he was figuring out some complicated problem. Near the end he started calmly talking into the headset

BB knew he'd prepared his players best he could, his Goal-line group was on the field to handle Lynch; all he could do was leave it in their hands to make the play. As for the headset, he was just asking Ernie what kind of pizza they ordered for the late-night post-game wind-down.

Last edited:
Brady's first pick looked like a rush to throw the ball out of bounds and not seeing lane. It's like the Gronk ints this year. They were either poorly executed or rushed. Seemed like a combo of both; because I bet Tom didn't want to risk a grounding penalty. Just a flukey play imo.

The second pick was Wagner making a brilliant play, going enough to bait Tom but Wagner only made the int because of his quickness. Any normal linebacker doesn't get that int.

Butler made 3 heads up plays in a very short period.

First he made sure to tackle Kearse when he got one of the "those" completions. I mean you're heart just sunk and we all shared the same look as TB did on the sidelines. Kearse could have scored from there (though I would have been ok with the amount of time left on the clock, but why risk it).

Make it 4 heads-up plays... that first play he broke it up for 99.9% of similar situations. That made the second part of the same play all the more impressive... making sure no more damage was done after the fuggin' Willy Wonka Golden Ticket Catch du jour.

We really have to start having 10 points on 'em with 1 minute left. This 4 point stuff has to go. You can just trust somebody to starts fugging levitating and bending laws of physics when the Pats are beating them in the last minute of a SB.

Brady's first pick looked like a rush to throw the ball out of bounds and not seeing lane. It's like the Gronk ints this year. They were either poorly executed or rushed. Seemed like a combo of both; because I bet Tom didn't want to risk a grounding penalty. Just a flukey play imo.

The second pick was Wagner making a brilliant play, going enough to bait Tom but Wagner only made the int because of his quickness. Any normal linebacker doesn't get that int.
I went into a fit of rage at the second interception only to watch the replays and realize that was one heck of a play by Wagner. There's a handful of Linebackers who are athletic enough to plant their leg, stop on a dime and re-accelerate in the opposite direction before making the pick in the league.

Brady made the right read and throw to Gronk however, on replay, it's clear that Wagner looked like he was headed in one direction before breaking in another. Further to that, Wagner was also hidden behind the Offensive and Defensive Lines so it looked open to Brady.

It was a brilliant play by Wagner.

We really have to start having 10 points on 'em with 1 minute left. This 4 point stuff has to go.

Sorry but that's the deal with the devil we made. The game has to be close either way and if our hearts don't stop at least once in the final quarter each SB we ain't allowed to be there in the first place.

BB knew he'd prepared his players best he could, his Goal-line group was on the field to handle Lynch; all he could do was leave it in their hands to make the play. As for the headset, he was just asking Ernie what kind of pizza they ordered for the late-night post-game wind-down.

TRUST - again, the word of the season... dare I say, even what was missing in the last 2 SBs? (Not that the endings were that different... unless you count the W.)

Think about it. He was ticking time off the clock. Seattle was trying to figure out what he was doing. What he was doing... what he probably felt blessed in doing, given this defense... was saying "You guys stop them from the 1 with the best RB in the NFL this year in the backfield."

The narrative out there is "No way Lynch doesn't get in." The narrative in Bill's head is, "Small chance we stop him. Disproven hypothesis that Brady = miracles. There is a minimum amount of time he needs and he doesn't have it. Better call to let the D play."

Want to play counter-factuals? You're one stuff away from being back at the 2 again with the clock ticking. Caroll/Bevel is gambling on one stop, not two, because now Seattle is hustling to get off 2 plays instead of 1, with 1 TO and 20 seconds left. Third down becomes a dictated pass play. And he'd seen Marshawn stuffed earlier. And you don't think it's in his head that we excel in the RZ, and his guys suck?

You have to roll the dice to run it again on 2nd down, whereas if you throw first you preserve the clock.

Brady was sitting there thinking "OMG the game won't even be in my hands for 40 seconds..."

Belichick is thinking "Finally this poor bastard Brady doesn't have to try to go the length of the field in 40 seconds AGAIN" (Especially against a team that thrives on you challenging them deep.)

And yeah, he is fine with Seattle being thrown off.

Finally: You're Carroll or his OC. You are looking at the big uglies and you are thinking you're one stuff away from elation to the bitter end... and you've seen that stuff before. And the Pats are better at it on the goal line than anywhere. And you see the matchup you want, and you see a guy that looks like money just before the passs....

B8z8eFFCYAI4FLz.png

So lambast Carol or Bevel all you want. I'm thinking Bill has a D he could TRUST... and he did it. And it paid off.

Followup question for 100 bonus points: After firing the old Butler did we finally hire a younger one who can clean up messes with a big smile on his face?

As in... what if this is normal for this kid???? :)

eight more months until the chase begins again... and this kid would NOT bust our cap numbers.

Two points from me:

1.) AS soon as I saw New England come out on the field, I knew in my heart of hearts that they were going to win. They came out to "Crazy Train" and Brady was psyched! He certainly had his war face on and he was pumping his fist in the air and hollering to the fans. This as they were being INTRODUCED to the crowd! Seattle came out to some sort of elevator music. It might be a West Coast thing, but that "soft music" approach told me that they were ****-sure and about to be pantsed on a national stage.

2.) It's absolutely true that "The Patriot Way" is what won this game. Just listen to Butler's comments afterward. He talked about patience, practice and hard work. Edelman said the same things. They all KNEW they could do this, and they had faith in each other, and in themselves. In the end, it was all that preparation, and confidence, mixed with their professional patience, which carried the day. It's a winning formula that has been proven time after time, and none so bigger than last night.

I think that your 2nd comment is further enhanced by Belichick's comments.. I don't remember him being as effusive with his praise of the 2001,2003 and 2004 teams after the wins...

Was I alone thinking, "not again" when that miracle catch happened. I was thinking Tyree and Manningham then I had to learn the name of that guy.

I think I can honestly say that 99% of Patriots nation was thinking that..

Just realized... how BEAUTIFUL is it that today is Groundhog Day, for those of you who saw the movie?
This is the last scene where Bill Murray gets to nail Andy McDowell! (by the way Andy McDowell was a woman.)

I don't know why people are blaming Carroll for the playcall. Couldn't Wilson have audibled out of it? Why isn't he sharing some of the blame there?

Why would Wilson have audibled out of it? From what it looked like, the Pats had played into the Seahawks hands and the RUB/PICK was going to work.. It was only Butler's outstanding play due to great preparation by the coaches that made the difference..

Butler made a great play...football is all about great plays...all the crying from the Pats haters discredits the hard work and preparation Butler put in all season that led to a great moment of recognition.

I just rewatched the game and this scene caught my attention, too. It looked like Pete was struggling to figure out why Bill wasn't calling timeout. Bill was serene knowing what he was up to but Pete was all "this does not compute". Bill won the game of chicken and Pete had to go with the play he'd called or burn a timeout.
Well, if that catch is made for a TD, no doubt the narrative is why BB didnt call timeout with 50 secs. Whether it was a 4th and 2 type ballsy move by BB or a gaffe which he might recollect later as a mistake we may never know. Carl banks on wfan said it best- he didnt to give points when you are in the lead in the SB and wanted them to make a play. We can live with that. Thats the beauty, one play changes how one is great vs goat.

I went into a fit of rage at the second interception only to watch the replays and realize that was one heck of a play by Wagner. There's a handful of Linebackers who are athletic enough to plant their leg, stop on a dime and re-accelerate in the opposite direction before making the pick in the league.

Brady made the right read and throw to Gronk however, on replay, it's clear that Wagner looked like he was headed in one direction before breaking in another. Further to that, Wagner was also hidden behind the Offensive and Defensive Lines so it looked open to Brady.

It was a brilliant play by Wagner.

Yes, but Brady did throw it about 10 feet too far to the left, otherwise I don't think Wagner can do anything but possibly knock it down.

I find it very hard for Harmon to be faulted in this play. The receiver is lying defenseless on the ground and has apparently no chance to catch that ball. Harmon is coming full speed, sop basically his only options are jumping or driving into the receiver.

There was a third option, diving low across him. In such a case, a penalty would have been unjust -- but he would indeed have been risking an unjust penalty.

Frankly, now that this play is so famous, I think that in the future players will be coached to do just what I said, AND refs will be coached not to flag it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3