PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Idle thoughts - the "God has a sense of humor" edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
Exactly.

When all the smoke clears from this drama, this will be recognized as one of the greatest coaching moment in superbowl history. Just a ballsy, gutsy call that forced Seattle into a standoff and they blinked first.

I thought about starting a new thread title of: "HIS GREATEST MOMENT", but I'll just put it here in Ken's thread, which was so wonderful. By the way, thank you so much Ken for your amazing analyses, it is part of what makes Patsfan.com such a joy to visit.

In 25 years, if I am still lucky enough to be alive, when I think of the legacy of BB, I am going to think of that moment with the non-time out, specifically a moment with about 40 seconds left in the game.

Everyone on both sidelines was going completely bananas, and the camera went to the face of Pete Carroll and BB. It was such a contrast. Pete Carroll had this ultra intense look on his face as he watched the game. Then they went to a side view of BB and he had this calm look on his face like he was deep in abstract thought, and I thought to myself that it looked like he was figuring out some complicated problem. Near the end he started calmly talking into the headset, and it seemed like he was hardly even watching the game. Maybe he was doing some type of estimate of what gave him the greatest probability to win in an intuitive non-mathematical way, although that is just speculation.

Who else would have made that call? How many coaches wouldn't be worried about being criticized for that decision (not calling the timeouts).

In my mind, at least, that will forever be his defining moment. What a great coaching move from the greatest ever.

Last edited:
My one thought about Harmon jumping over Kearse is that if he'd hit him after Kearse had dropped it, they might have flagged him for unnecessary roughness - which would have been a 15 yard penalty and automatic first down.

So I can't really criticise Harmon, since he probably did the intelligent thing - it was just crazy that Kearse managed to catch the bouncing ball on the floor.

At first I thought why didn't he try and make a play but I agree on reflection the fact Kearse was lying on the ground the "Smart" play was to avoid a penalty.
Felt sick after that "catch" though.

BTW for all the talk of how dominant Lynch was his line was 24/102 and a 4.3 YPC which is good but not in the other worldly category. His biggest play was actually receiving the on the last drive which went for 31 yards. That was a very good play call.

Great call, and equally poor defense. Collins bit way harder than he needed to.

Bradys first pick was bad. I watched it back a few times and not sure if it was Edelman or Amedola but someone was coming across the back of the endzone from Bradys left and stopped. Either way he wasnt open but that was the intended target. If you watch it back its more clear.

Agree on Mccourty alot of deep balls he wasnt in the picture and not sure why could have been his assignment led him elsewhere, but he did make a few tackles on Turbin and Lynch after they broke first level.

Chung was pretty quiet as well.

People arent talking about but Lynch almost scored on that first down if not for a shoestring tackle by Hightower.

Logan Ryan was probably our worst player and did little in limited time really hope Dennard is back helthy next year.

Great call, and equally poor defense. Collins bit way harder than he needed to.

Agreed. Jamie bit hard on the cut inside. Lynch never cuts that inside, it's always a wheel route.

Also interesting: I don't think Chung was ever targeted. Sounds like he took Luke Willson out of the game, who can be a pretty big safety valve.

Everyone on both sidelines was going completely bananas, and the camera went to the face of Pete Carroll and BB. It was such a contrast. Pete Carroll had this ultra intense look on his face as he watched the game. Then they went to a side view of BB and he had this calm look on his face like he was in deep in abstract thought, and I thought to myself that it looked like he was figuring out some complicated problem. Near the end he started calmly talking into the headset, and it seemed like he was hardly even watching the game. Maybe he was doing some type of estimate of what gave him the greatest probability to win in an intuitive non-mathematical way, although that is just speculation.

Who else would have made that call? How many coaches wouldn't be worried about being criticized for that decision (not calling the timeouts).

In my mind, at least, that will forever be his defining moment. What a great coaching move from the greatest ever.

Clearly he was in the midst of a Vulcan mind meld with Ernie Adams.

That is exactly what I was "loudly" saying, "Not Again" over and over. My mom was very confused and asking "What happened? Did they call a penalty?" I felt so bad I couldn't even explain to her what I had just seen, she didn't even have the memory of "Tyree" (I can't wait to get old enough to forget that one). I just mumbled something about a lucky catch (although I think I may have used a few cuss words while explaining, something like "stupid ass lucky catches"...don't worry I apologized to her later).
World Champions!!!!! Again!!!!

I totally had that "here we go again" feeling, the "are you freaking kidding me?" sinking feeling after seeing the juggling catch made by Kearse at the 5 over Malcolm Butler who pretty much played the ball perfectly and deflected it. I was like no way.... the football gods hate us, we are going to lose again to another Tyree-type catch...

And then Malcolm Butler saved our season at the 1 yard line with his Immaculate Interception!! OMG that felt so incredible! From facing near certain defeat to finally, finally feeling vindication!

We WON the Superbowl!! The Pats are Champs again! Now all the haters and the mediots can just GFY! Cos we're the champions baby!!!

6. Now this is where God looks like he's just ****ing with us. It's freakin' deja vu. Tom Brady has just led on a game winning TD march for the 3rd time in a row in a superbowl. Once again all we need is ONE stop and we are superbowl champs again. But THIS time, we HAVE the defense we need to make that stop, Right?

It doesn't start well with a 35 throw to Lynch, but then there are a couple of stops before a them barely getting a first down, and a couple of more stops before it HAPPENS.... again. Another perfectly defended play takes a bounce from hell and here we are a-g-a-i-n. I couldn't F'n believe it. How can this be happening again. Did you see that shot on Brady's face after the play? Fate can't possibly be this cruel....and a thousand other similar thoughts. You know them because you felt most of them. 4 more yds from Lynch and as the clock ticks under 30 seconds, and the ball is on the one, the inevitable just keeps ticking forward.

7. .....and THAT's when God showed us he had a sense of humor (though he has rather a perverse and cruel one ;) ), and Butler made the play that will make him a Patriot hero for the rest of his day, no matter what happens in his career. Which I think will be a good one, btw.

Also interesting: I don't think Chung was ever targeted. Sounds like he took Luke Willson out of the game, who can be a pretty big safety valve.

Yes, I did not hear his name mentioned once!

I got jumped on per game for suggesting that Chung would again be a key component in our W

It kinda sucks that some people will remember this as a win for us only because of a "stupid play call." Worst play call in NFL history? How about the luckiest damn play that helped get them there! They didn't even deserve to have a shot to win it.

It was a wierd game all around. In the end it seems like Seattle bailed us out with passing on the GL, but really I am with you Ken on feeling they were lucky to be in the contest all along. Our defense matchups up very favorably with them IMO as long as Lynch is contained which we did. With our top CB's doing their job basically the only way out for SEA is to have a complete scrub WR outplay what we have as an above average nickel back (which Arrington WAS all year until this game, actually better than above average) and that is unfortunately ended up happening. To me, Seattle is very fortunate for that because I'd say a great majority of the time that route would be shut down as well.

I mean just imagine if we had some guy like Tyms stroll in there and become unstoppable guarded one on on by one of their backup corners and Brady just had to float one up there when all else failed for a 45 yard gain. I give Seattle credit for outplaying us in the 3rd quarter but the other 3 quarters we were clearly the better team and all in all the game should have never been that close IMO. Realistically that offense shouldn't put up anymore than 17 points on us.

I wouldn't even put Shane into the "one step further", he was every bit as critical as any other receiver not named Edelman. I doubt we'll hear about his hands any time soon. :)

I did not expect 11 catches from our running back, which is why I included the "to take it one step further" comment when discussing our receiver production.

His average this year was 3.27 per game.

I believe the over/under on yesterday's Shane Vereen total for receptions was 4.5.

I got jumped on per game for suggesting that Chung would again be a key component in our W

The whole secondary played brilliantly for the most part. Never really heard Harmon's name called either.

Two points from me:

1.) AS soon as I saw New England come out on the field, I knew in my heart of hearts that they were going to win. They came out to "Crazy Train" and Brady was psyched! He certainly had his war face on and he was pumping his fist in the air and hollering to the fans. This as they were being INTRODUCED to the crowd! Seattle came out to some sort of elevator music. It might be a West Coast thing, but that "soft music" approach told me that they were ****-sure and about to be pantsed on a national stage.

2.) It's absolutely true that "The Patriot Way" is what won this game. Just listen to Butler's comments afterward. He talked about patience, practice and hard work. Edelman said the same things. They all KNEW they could do this, and they had faith in each other, and in themselves. In the end, it was all that preparation, and confidence, mixed with their professional patience, which carried the day. It's a winning formula that has been proven time after time, and none so bigger than last night.
Yeah, what the hell possessed Seattle to go with Bittersweet Symphony? Especially when it's up against Ozzie.

Question: Why did Butler and Logan Ryan seem to have so much playing time? Isn't the typical personnel 7 up front with two CB and two safeties?

Or were they playing extra DBs? Or maybe they got more airtime because they weren't throwing to Revis and Browner?

I don't know why people are blaming Carroll for the playcall. Couldn't Wilson have audibled out of it? Why isn't he sharing some of the blame there?
He wouldn't audible out of it because the Pats were in the defense Seattle wanted for it.

I don't think there's any Pats fan in the world who can honestly say they weren't thinking "I can't believe it's happening again" when the Sehawks looked like they were about to put it in for the win.

If there are, then they are very, very recent fans. I mean, I get wanting to scream out how you kept the faith but even Edelman admitted to Manningham flashbacks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3