PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Idle thoughts - the "God has a sense of humor" edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

patfanken

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
No time for a preamble. Lets just get started. It was that kind of a night. Hard to know where to start, so lets start from the beginning.

1. I stated in my pregame thread that I thought that this would be a 10-17 point Pats win. Well if the team had played their freakin' B game in that first half it should have been a 10-14 point halftime lead.

2. Among the critical mistakes was perhaps the worst pick Brady threw this entire year. I'm still trying to figure out where that ball was going to. Then Seattle sets up their first TD with a typical "Joe Flacco heave it up and hope" throw to the Pats 10. Then finally the Pats played their worst 5 consecutive defensive plays of the year allowing Seattle to score at the half. Do you realize that had the Pats held Seattle to "merely" a 10 yd gain, Seattle would have run the clock out. So instead of a 17-7 lead going into the half, the game is tied and Seattle gets the ball to open the half

3. ......and then things got REALLY BAD. Watching Seattle move down into the red zone, then the Pats give up the pick and have them score, with most of the damage being done by a kid who hadn't caught a pass all year, was hard to believe. Now the Pats are down 10, and the offense couldn't stop self destructing for the rest of that 3rd quarter.

4. How frustrating is this? Well by this time, l I'm kind of apoplectic at the bar I'm at. I was happy I had already consumed my half price pizza, because it wouldn't have gone down if I had had to eat it then. ;)

I mean I have to admit it, I had to go home. I couldn't stand it anymore, so I opted to watch the 4th quarter at home alone. I can't say I was optimistic, so I brought home ice cream to binge if the worst kept occuring.

5. Running the ball was a problem, but moving the ball was never one. The Pats had a plan and stuck to it. I would have gone long a few more times, but Brady remained disciplined and wound up with a record number of completions (37) and 330 yds.

That patience paid off when, without changing a thing in the strategy, despite being down 10 with about 10 to go in the final quarter the Pat mounted 2 HEROIC drives to somehow take the lead again. We'll talk about what they do when we go into details, but right now I'm in narrative mode now. ;)

6. Now this is where God looks like he's just ****ing with us. It's freakin' deja vu. Tom Brady has just led on a game winning TD march for the 3rd time in a row in a superbowl. Once again all we need is ONE stop and we are superbowl champs again. But THIS time, we HAVE the defense we need to make that stop, Right?

It doesn't start well with a 35 throw to Lynch, but then there are a couple of stops before a them barely getting a first down, and a couple of more stops before it HAPPENS.... again. Another perfectly defended play takes a bounce from hell and here we are a-g-a-i-n. I couldn't F'n believe it. How can this be happening again. Did you see that shot on Brady's face after the play? Fate can't possibly be this cruel....and a thousand other similar thoughts. You know them because you felt most of them. 4 more yds from Lynch and as the clock ticks under 30 seconds, and the ball is on the one, the inevitable just keeps ticking forward.

7. .....and THAT's when God showed us he had a sense of humor (though he has rather a perverse and cruel one ;) ), and Butler made the play that will make him a Patriot hero for the rest of his day, no matter what happens in his career. Which I think will be a good one, btw.

8. Now people will make all kinds of noise about how bad a call that was, and you certainly have a case to make that it was a strange one. But what I hope doesn't get lost in the noise of all that media self righteousness, is just how good Butler's play was.

That wasn't a bad route by the receiver, nor was it a bad pass by Wilson. It was right one the money. Butler jumped that route and in going forthe ball literally knocked the receiver out of the play and STILL managed to hang on to the ball. It’s a beautiful play and one I can see over and over again just because how well it was played.

9. I couldn’t help but remember back to those early days of TC when I first mentioned Butler in one of my TC reports. Then he was a no name UDFA who had little chance to make the team, yet you couldn’t help notice how often he wound up close to the ball. A few weeks and pre-season games later and he started to get mentioned as possible guy for the first 53, or someone who mysteriously goes on the IR or a PS guy.

10. In the end he made the he made the roster, and I have to say that anytime he got some snaps with the regular defense, I can NEVER remember seeing him in a play where if he didn’t defend the pass, he very tightly contested it. No one ever ran free on Malcolm Butler…..or at least never that I ever noticed.

11. Some very interesting stats from this game. Wilson completed just TWELVE passes all game. Unfortunately they all seemed to go for 20+ yds. There were some of Wilson’s passes that were very good, but there were a few that were very dangerous that just seemed to work out well

The Pats kept the Seahawks to only 3 of ten on 3rd downs Brady on the other hand was a healthy 57% (8/14)
The 100 yds the Pats allowed Lynch was about 20 yds more than I would have liked, but 20 yds less than the 120+ I feared would be game changing.

Conversely the 60 yds on 15 carries that we managed was about 25 yds and 7 carries less than I would have hoped, but at least it wasn’t Raven-esque. Count those as minor disappointments
Other disappointments were to see Wilson escape for 40 yds on 4 carries. Jones and Collins both whiffed at least once on him. Still it wasn’t horrible. There were times where they held their discipline well. Also Brady’s picks. Like I said the first one was just horrid. The second one was more a great play by Wagner than a bad one by Tom.

12. McCourty had a strangely quiet day. Hard to evaluate, but Wilson made a lot of long passes and none of them seemed to be thrown to guys McCourty was helping out on. It could very well not have been his fault, but I thought it was worth mentioning

13. Can’t help but mention the officials. OK they weren’t sent by Goodell to screw us……but they didn’t help either. Up until the last 12 seconds of the game when the Seahawks got about 4 penalties and 30 yds, the Seahawks definitely got a slight edge in the calls. Mostly in the way of non-calls. They missed the roughing the punter call early that would have been big when it should have been an easy call. There was a period in the 2nd and 3rd quarters where they missed a lot of holding calls on the Seahawks. I though a couple have been called, since they were that blatant. Still in the end, they pretty much stayed out of the game, and it was better for it. They did us no favors, but wouldn’t have been the reason for a loss, had it happened.

14. I hate that the narrative still makes it seem that our “legacy” is still in the hands of the “Welles investigation”. This issue of 1 psi is still being framed as if its an issue upon which the entire league’s integrity is resting on. :rolleyes:

The good news is I’m still confident that in the end we will be fully cleared and vindicated. The bad news is, it will be done in such a way that the haters will be able to still question the team and get away with it.

15. Seattle is a very physical football team. They are no more physical that the Pats were. At no time did it look like the Seahawks were bullying the Pats like they have so many other teams.

16. You might call me crazy, but this game was a super exciting, dramatic, and closely competitive game.....that didn't have to be. I still strongly believe that if the same two teams played 10 times the Pats would win 5 of them by 10-17 points

17. OK! this is a start. more to day but I want to start to enjoy some of after game comments from the media and others here before I can't keep my eyes open. CONGRATULATIONS everyone and hope to see everyone at the duck boats

Last edited:
One thing about that first INT, hideous and as bad a decision as it was…..it did result in Seattle losing a starter to injury. I don't cheer FOR injuries, but when they happen and benefit us, well, I can certainly acknowledge that as much as that INT cost us 3, it may have cost them more in the end.

As soon as I saw that ridiculous "catch" I thought, "higher power at work here, why? why are we Patriots fans being tested like Moses?"...then when I all but gave up hope, the kid that struck me as a keeper when I saw him at camp, the kid no one even gave a chance to make this team, the kid MADE the play. Not luck...hard work and preparation, recognition and performance...the so called Patriot Way...VINDICATED and for all time now.

I no longer carry any anger over 2007 and that rip job. The law of averages has finally won out.

There is a lot of false narrative going on about lynch had 3 shots at the 1 yard line which takes the credit away from butler unfortunately. If they ran lynch and didnt get in they had no choice to throw twice with less than 15 secs left and no timeout , so BB while i thought shouldve let them score with 50 secs left, the jumbo goal line defense screwed with carroll.

Probably have to watch the game back to make sure, but I was positive Wilson was avoiding McCourty. McCourty also had some nice open field tackles.

Putting those two interceptions aside (bad reads by Brady), Brady had his way with the Seattle offense and Edelman carved them up all over the field. Vereen was HUGE in crunch time, and Amendola was clutch as well.

Malcolm Butler for president of the universe!

Not luck...hard work and preparation, recognition and performance...the so called Patriot Way...VINDICATED and for all time now.
The law of averages has finally won out.

Loved that viewpoint on it, the law of averages finally wins out with your posts too!:D

15. Seattle is a very physical football team. They are no more physical that the Pats were. At no time did it look like the Seahawks were bullying the Pats like they have so many other teams.

When SEA went up 10, that's when the Seapunks showed their true colors and began their usual taunting and talking. At this point I truly think they felt they had bullied another team into submission. This was the right time to yap for tv, as a W looked pretty good here. In truth SEA had kinda gotten lucky hitting several high risk plays in high leverage situations. NE didn't quit. IMO NE was the first team SEA played this year that didn't give up in this similar spot like the other B squads they had whupped. So when TB drove to close it to 3 pts, I knowingly saw the looks of worry and doubt creep into the faces of Seattle, and felt pretty good. Punks after all I thought. The rest is Superbowl history.

Thoughts on TB1? I feel he had the best two drives of his career in the 4th quarter against the best defense in the league I think what he did is being overlooked cause how the game ended

I agree with you Ken that we could've won by 10+, which is what I predicted (27-17).

I always felt that the better matchup was against SEA rather than GB, and was shocked when they were leading 24-14. I just couldn't believe that their offense was able to put up 24 pts.

Thank God things worked out in the end, b/c that would've been quite difficult to stomach had it gone the other way.

Oh, and great call on Malcolm Butler.

Thoughts on TB1? I feel he had the best two drives of his career in the 4th quarter against the best defense in the league I think what he did is being overlooked cause how the game ended

So clutch, as were our receiving options.

My concern was that they'd take Gronk away, and that we'd have to rely on everyone else to contribute. Thankfully, it was a bit of both as Amendola, Edelman, Gronk, and LaFell all had TD grabs. To take it one step further, even Vereen had 11 catches too.

This is a great point. Lost in the shadows of those 2 superbowl losses was the fact that in BOTH games, Brady had driven his team from behind in the 4th quarter to grab the lead with under 3 minutes to play. In this game he added TWO more 4th quarter long drives to take the same kind of lead.

It has always bothered me that in the narrative of those 2 games it has always been that Brady LOST them. It is as if Brady had done something wrong, rather than do what he's so consistently for the past 15 years, which is play his best when it matters most. It will an unfortunately reality that once again his 4th quarter play is going to be lost again amid the noise. The good news is, that THIS time, I don't think he'll mind much. :D

A large portion of the sports media HATES Brady. I have my opinion why, but I'll keep my lips zipped. Let's just say the seething anger emanating from Cris Carter post game was so thick you'd need a chainsaw to slice it.

Another non-football-related board I go to had a few posts. Favorite response to the 'Hawks fans saying they gave the game to the Pats: "Wasn't there recently debate about the packers gifting the NFL championship? I honestly didn't think Seattle would regift so soon."

As soon as I saw that ridiculous "catch" I thought, "higher power at work here, why? why are we Patriots fans being tested like Moses?"...then when I all but gave up hope, the kid that struck me as a keeper when I saw him at camp, the kid no one even gave a chance to make this team, the kid MADE the play. Not luck...hard work and preparation, recognition and performance...the so called Patriot Way...VINDICATED and for all time now.

I no longer carry any anger over 2007 and that rip job. The law of averages has finally won out.

What goes around, comes around.. payback is a bytch.

Shared that "Oh ****" moment when he made that improbable catch also, while eyeing the clock.. I thought they should have let Lynch score on their first down as it would give Brady more time for a a comeback, that is why I do not coach in the NFL..

Immediately after the Int by Butler, was concerned about field position, as there was no room for a kneel down(the phone was ringing with fans yelling, I was telling people not yet).. but Brady's "triple head bob" drew them offsides and the rest was history.. that is really underplayed as to how well coached this team is and how great #12 is.. We will be told in the next couple of days that they practice that... not at all surprised.

At no time did it look like the Seahawks were bullying the Pats like they have so many other teams.

IMO, a big factor... Talking to folks before the game, it was one of my visual "indicators" as to how the game would go. In no way did Seattle look as aggressive and dominant as they did in last year's SB.

Ain't overlooked by me. Another big time clutch performance that Brady is hyped for... he just lived up to his own image, and IMO cemented himself as the greatest QB on the greatest team.

Two points from me:

1.) AS soon as I saw New England come out on the field, I knew in my heart of hearts that they were going to win. They came out to "Crazy Train" and Brady was psyched! He certainly had his war face on and he was pumping his fist in the air and hollering to the fans. This as they were being INTRODUCED to the crowd! Seattle came out to some sort of elevator music. It might be a West Coast thing, but that "soft music" approach told me that they were ****-sure and about to be pantsed on a national stage.

2.) It's absolutely true that "The Patriot Way" is what won this game. Just listen to Butler's comments afterward. He talked about patience, practice and hard work. Edelman said the same things. They all KNEW they could do this, and they had faith in each other, and in themselves. In the end, it was all that preparation, and confidence, mixed with their professional patience, which carried the day. It's a winning formula that has been proven time after time, and none so bigger than last night.

That wasn't a bad route by the receiver, nor was it a bad pass by Wilson. It was right one the money. Butler jumped that route and in going forthe ball literally knocked the receiver out of the play and STILL managed to hang on to the ball. It’s a beautiful play and one I can see over and over again just because how well it was played.
Butler made 3 heads up plays in a very short period.

First he made sure to tackle Kearse when he got one of the "those" completions. I mean you're heart just sunk and we all shared the same look as TB did on the sidelines. Kearse could have scored from there (though I would have been ok with the amount of time left on the clock, but why risk it).

I also want to point our that Harmon never played the ball/whistle and jumped over Kearse while he was playing bouncy football with his legs. This will be an excellent teaching point for BB next training camp.

Second - this one is easy in that he identified the route and made a SB win worthy break on the ball (as you have noted).

Third - I believe he was aware that one of his feet stepped into the field of play/out of the end zone, so that is why he jumped to the 2 yard line. Maybe I'm giving him too much credit or maybe people are overlooking it because I've heard it mentioned many times that he should have gone down in the endzone or (most likely situation) I'm not 100% certain on the rules, but it could have resulted in a safety.

13. Can’t help but mention the officials. OK they weren’t sent by Goodell to screw us……but they didn’t help either. Up until the last 12 seconds of the game when the Seahawks got about 4 penalties and 30 yds, the Seahawks definitely got a slight edge in the calls. Mostly in the way of non-calls. They missed the roughing the punter call early that would have been big when it should have been an easy call. There was a period in the 2nd and 3rd quarters where they missed a lot of holding calls on the Seahawks. I though a couple have been called, since they were that blatant. Still in the end, they pretty much stayed out of the game, and it was better for it. They did us no favors, but wouldn’t have been the reason for a loss, had it happened.
I initially thought the refs were fixing the game due to the lack of calls being made with, what I thought, was obvious penalties. I wasn't in the game thread, but weren't the Seahawks offsides on the opening kickoff too?

And for people complaining about the tripping penalty (mostly because Collinsworth called it out), doesn't a defender have a right to protect/brace himself when he hits the ground. I don't recall seeing him swipe at the feet of the defender.
14. I hate that the narrative still makes it seem that our “legacy” is still in the hands of the “Welles investigation”. This issue of 1 psi is still being framed as if its an issue upon which the entire league’s integrity is resting on. :rolleyes:

The good news is I’m still confident that in the end we will be fully cleared and vindicated. The bad news is, it will be done in such a way that the haters will be able to still question the team and get away with it.
It will be interesting to see what they have to say and I'd love to be a fly on the wall to hear if the Pats winning the SB changes the narrative/way the report is presented. not saying it will change the facts, but obviously it can be worded to be more or less incriminating. I don't believe there is any smoking gun and more an issue of process/not tampering by Patriots players/staff/request.

16. You might call me crazy, but this game was a super exciting, dramatic, and closely competitive game.....that didn't have to be. I still strongly believe that if the same two teams played 10 times the Pats would win 5 of them by 10-17 points
Yeah the Pats had the talent in Brady and the receivers to play Seattle. not sure how many other teams could do that to them, but you have to admire and be slightly alarmed at a defense that doesn't adjust. Just makes me appreciate the coaches and smart players we have on defense.

One final note: stats related. I don't even recall Revis's sack.

Status
Not open for further replies.

It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes