PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Idea - Trading future picks for more in this year's draft?

The draft forum is quiet enough as it is thank you. If we didn't have a first round pick to discuss, it would be even quieter. Screw the team, what am I going to do?

There. That's my reason for not doing it :snob:

;)

But that's still a year away, I want more picks to play with now!

I don't think the Pats go into any draft falling in love with just a couple of players, like for instance the way Washington did with RG3, and Atlanta did with Julio Jones.

Different teams have different evaluations. By the time the Pats pick comes they probably have a couple of guys they have a high grade on, but if a team comes with a good trade, and they feel they have a chance on one of those guys moving back. They'll make that trade.

I have been on this train since the Pats lost to the Broncos in the AFCCG.

Fact 1.

Brady has 4-5 years left MAX

Fact 2

Rookies take 2-3 years to hit their stride generally

Fact 3

This draft is going to be better than next years by all indicators we have.

The conclusion is load up in this years draft and ride those rookies to the end of Brady's career. A rookie contract is 4-5 years anyway so it perfectly fits with Brady's window to do it now.

I would trade next years entire draft for a 1st 2nd and 3rd this year.

1 ~ I strongly disagree with the Philosophy of Trading Forward, but you make a great Argument for it. Props.

2 ~ You should be advised, however, that the price one pays for doing so is pretty reliably about a 100% Premium on the Draft Pick you're targeting: you're getting 50 Cents today and paying a Dollar next Year.

3 ~ That vicious Premium would of course be compounded by the fact that we're the Patriots, which means that our future Draft Picks are less valuable that almost anyone's. And going All In as you propose, while pretty cool, I must say, would of course do nothing to persuade our prospective Trade Partners that those Picks they would receive would be anywhere but at or near the very bottom of each Round.

4 ~ Furthermore, you'd have to consider that all 32 Teams know that this is an historically loaded Draft, and because of that we'd have to expect to pay an even steeper Premium that in ordinary Years.

5 ~ And even were this not an historically loaded Draft, trading our entire 2015 Draft ~ minus the 7th Rounder that we traded for the immortal Greg Salas!! ~ and applying a 50% Discount to their nominal Value, based on an estimated 29th Pick in each Round ~ that's been our "lowest" starting point over the last three Years, after all ~ would only give us enough Juice to acquire an early Second Rounder in this Draft ~ #33 or #34. :eek:

6 ~ And considering that this is of course an historically loaded Draft, which would of course jack the Premium, I have to tell you that I wouldn't expect to do much better than the #45/#50 Range for our entire compliment of 2015 Picks. To get a 1st Rounder, we'd probably have to throw in all of 2016's, as well!! :eek:

Fact 3

This draft is going to be better than next years by all indicators we have.

gotta say, I love this fact. You already know how the draft will play out in two years.

gotta say, I love this fact. You already know how the draft will play out in two years.

"By all indicators we have".

Everyone seems to agree this is the best draft in 10+ years (at least) and will be better than next years draft. I don't claim to know for sure but I do claim it is a fact all the experts agree it is true. That is enough for me. You have to go by the best info you have at the time.

You already know how the draft will play out in two years.

If so, you should be getting paid a lot of money by one of the networks. You're unique.

The draft forum is quiet enough as it is thank you. If we didn't have a first round pick to discuss, it would be even quieter.

Not really. We'd just throw more insults at each other. See the "draft needs" thread for examples.

You simply don't do that;

4 ~ Furthermore, you'd have to consider that all 32 Teams know that this is an historically loaded Draft, and because of that we'd have to expect to pay an even steeper Premium that in ordinary Years.

5 ~ And even were this not an historically loaded Draft, trading our entire 2015 Draft ~ minus the 7th Rounder that we traded for the immortal Greg Salas!! ~ and applying a 50% Discount to their nominal Value, based on an estimated 29th Pick in each Round ~ that's been our "lowest" starting point over the last three Years, after all ~ would only give us enough Juice to acquire an early Second Rounder in this Draft ~ #33 or #34. :eek:

6 ~ And considering that this is of course an historically loaded Draft, which would of course jack the Premium, I have to tell you that I wouldn't expect to do much better than the #45/#50 Range for our entire compliment of 2015 Picks. To get a 1st Rounder, we'd probably have to throw in all of 2016's, as well!! :eek:

I would consider this an exaggeration. Trading our entire 2015 draft would give another team all the ammunition in the world to select Winston or Marriota. In other words, a team like Tampa, Oakland, Cleveland, Jax, Minnesota would do it in a heartbeat.

Still, the point is clear. This is the best draft in a decade, and teams are less likely to trade for future resources when the draft is stacked. The only suitor I see for this type of move is San Francisco, who holds a boatload of picks and almost no roster room to keep them. If the right guy falls, I could see the Patriots moving a 2015 3rd for a 2014 4th, but that's the max.

Trading future picks can be a huge problem because you lose leverage. The biggest advantage of having multiple picks is you can use them during a trade or when signing a Free agent. I really think with the needs for (2) OL, (2) DL, safety, TE, ILB and DE the Pats will trade down in this years 1st round pick because I see them needing a minimum 6 starters in the next two years and they can't get all in one draft.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Back