PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Idea - Trading future picks for more in this year's draft?

TBR

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
This is supposedly one of the deepest drafts in 20-30 years.

Wouldn't it be wise to trade future draft picks for some in this year's draft?

You'd get to stockpile a bunch of players' from a super deep draft, AND expect them to play through at least until Brady's retirement. It's like increasing your chances for the state lottery.

Example - trade our 2015 1st rounder for Browns' 2nd rounder (#35) this year.

I saw something similar mentioned in a user's post, but I thought I'd bring about the discussion with a thread

I wouldn't advise heavily borrowing from tomorrow's draft position to pay for today. When tomorrow becomes today, reality bites.

I have been on this train since the Pats lost to the Broncos in the AFCCG.

Fact 1.

Brady has 4-5 years left MAX

Fact 2

Rookies take 2-3 years to hit their stride generally

Fact 3

This draft is going to be better than next years by all indicators we have.

The conclusion is load up in this years draft and ride those rookies to the end of Brady's career. A rookie contract is 4-5 years anyway so it perfectly fits with Brady's window to do it now.

I would trade next years entire draft for a 1st 2nd and 3rd this year.

This is supposedly one of the deepest drafts in 20-30 years.

Wouldn't it be wise to trade future draft picks for some in this year's draft?

You'd get to stockpile a bunch of players' from a super deep draft, AND expect them to play through at least until Brady's retirement. It's like increasing your chances for the state lottery.

Example - trade our 2015 1st rounder for Browns' 2nd rounder (#35) this year.

I saw something similar mentioned in a user's post, but I thought I'd bring about the discussion with a thread

Why would the Browns do that?

first off, it really depends if there is a particular player that the team MUST have. You do lose value when trading future picks (a first round pick becomes a second round pick) so there better be a MUST HAVE player.

To just trade future picks for fifty cents on the dollar because its a supposed "deep" draft is just reckless. Plus, BB's hit percentage isn't the greatest but he does seem to do much better in the first round. You have a better chance to get a better player in the first 32 picks than in the second 32 picks.

If it is such a deep draft, the you open things up by dumping the 1st rounder for multiple later picks unless you are targeting a player

I would trade next years entire draft for a 1st 2nd and 3rd this year.

ah, the Falcon's philosophy. I'm just glad we didn't trade our 6th round pick 2000.

Look at the trade the Pats got from the Saints a few years ago. The Pats would likely have to give their 2014 2nd and 2015 1st to get back into the late first round this year. That's not worth it.

Look at the trade the Pats got from the Saints a few years ago. The Pats would likely have to give their 2014 2nd and 2015 1st to get back into the late first round this year. That's not worth it.

you mean when we turned Mark Ingram into Shane Vereen and Chandler Jones?

It depends, if there is a prospect they really want and that's what it takes to get it done then I'm fine with it and can see it as a possibility, but overalll it is a bad philosophy because it devalues picks and lessens what you can get out of them. When you trade a 1st next year it basically has the value of a second and so on, so you will never maximize their worth by using this tactic often.

I've had this idea in a couple of mocks for the last few months. I think it could certainly make sense if the Pats view the strength of this draft like a lot of other people do. This is perhaps the strongest and deepest draft for a decade with a record number of underclassmen declaring including a bunch of redshirt sophomores. That not only makes the 2014 draft much stronger, it could potentially make the 2015 draft much weaker. If the Pats feel they can get someone in say, the middle of the 2nd round this year that would be late 1st round value in another year, then trading a future pick makes sense. Depending on how the draft falls I certainly think its possible that we could get some players in the 2nd round that will have higher grades than late 1st rounders next year.

Obviously there are a number of other factors like value, finding the right trading partner and having the right player available at that point, but I think this year more than any other it makes sense (and I am normally strongly against trading forward future picks). To me the team that makes the most sense if we are looking to trade forward a future 1st would be St Louis for their 2nd (#44). They already have a bunch of picks in this draft and could potentially get more by trading back from #2. They may look to try and spread those extra picks out by moving one into the future. Ideally if St Louis traded down from #2, with say Atlanta, we could trade our 2015 1st for Atlanta's 2014 2nd (#37), although I don't know if St Louis would make that trade.

If we did make the trade of our 2015 1st to St Louis for #44, would people be upset if we got someone like ASJ, Stephon Tuitt, Jimmie Ward, David Yankey, Bradley Roby, Allen Robinson or maybe even a fast rising Marcus Martin? This is the type of talent that could be available in the mid 2nd round that I think would be 1st rounders in some other years. You then have to take into account we would only get 4 years of control for a 2nd rounder vs 5 years control for a 2015 1st rounder, but the 2nd rounder would also be a lower salary. There are certainly a lot of things to consider but if there is someone there they absolutely love I wouldn't rule it out.

If we did make the trade of our 2015 1st to St Louis for #44, would people be upset if we got someone like ASJ, Stephon Tuitt, Jimmie Ward, David Yankey, Bradley Roby, Allen Robinson or maybe even a fast rising Marcus Martin? This is the type of talent that could be available in the mid 2nd round that I think would be 1st rounders in some other years. You then have to take into account we would only get 4 years of control for a 2nd rounder vs 5 years control for a 2015 1st rounder, but the 2nd rounder would also be a lower salary. There are certainly a lot of things to consider but if there is someone there they absolutely love I wouldn't rule it out.

I certainly would.

It's hard to fully evaluate 2015, but I don't think it will be weak at all. My man love for Shawn Oakman already rivals that for Aaron Donald. Leonard Williams, Shilique Calhoun, Henry Anderson, Arik Armstead, Ifo Ekpre-Olomu, Cody Prewitt, Andrus Peat, Cedric Ogbuehi, Cameron Erving, Brandon Scherff, La'el Collins, Amari Cooper, Dorial Green-Beckham. Not to mention Marcus Mariota, Jameis Winston, Brent Hundley, Kevin Hogan, Bryce Petty and perhaps Christian Hackenberg. 2015 may be the best chance to get a true "successor" to Tom Brady in the late 1st round.

As deep as this year is, I think this would be a move that we would end up deeply regretting.

With the strength of the draft I think teams will be very reluctant to give up draft picks this year, especially for picks next year.

This applies to trading the #29 to drop down and gather more picks. I think there will be very few trades this year.

Given the short window we have with Brady, trading multiple picks this year to move up for a player that can contribute now might work.

There are going to be players that go undrafted that would have been mid round picks in past drafts.

I think it's an horrible idea, but that doesn't mean it isn't fascinating.

I had us trading the 2011 Raider 1st Rounder forward to the Miners for the 2010 #17, the premise being that the Raiders had consistently provided a Top 5 for several Years, so I'm not one to judge.

But that was my first Mock.

And I'd consumed a Fizzy Lifting Drink or two before posting it.

Or three.

Trading Forward is, without exception, an horrible mistake.

Without exception.

ah, the Falcon's philosophy. I'm just glad we didn't trade our 6th round pick 2000.

My point still stands. I gave 3 reasons why i would do it.

For all we know Brady only has 2-3 years left. The 32nd (fingers crossed) pick next year is not going to be as helpful in a 3 year span as the 40th pick this year, don't you think?

You are looking at pure player value while I am also factoring in games played AND games played at a high level.

Take Collins. He had some moments but pretty much took his first year to develope and we hope he can be a beast next year.

Would you take a guy in 2015 that takes that year to develope and will not be helpful till 2017 (at wihch time Brady will be 39) or do you bite the bullet and take take a high 2nd round pick this year (which is likely as talented as the 32nd player will be in 2015 cause the report is this is a deep draft) and have him be an impact guy for every year after this one (which could be 2-3 years instead of 1-2).

That is how i was looking at it. My 1st 2nd & 3rd for next years draft was a bit of bravado but also was assuming we get a reasonably high 1st 2nd and 3rd (though in all honestly I am sure I would want a 4th too for next years draft).

Also if you want picks in 2015... well you can just trade 2016's pick! I am for that too.

Without exception.

It isn't exactly trading forward. We'd just be getting our pick a year early, and in a really deep draft which means there's a higher chance of hitting on the pick.

Actually with the trade I suggested (just an example), we'd be moving back a few spots in terms of position.

My point still stands. I gave 3 reasons why i would do it.

For all we know Brady only has 2-3 years left. The 32nd (fingers crossed) pick next year is not going to be as helpful in a 3 year span as the 40th pick this year, don't you think?

You are looking at pure player value while I am also factoring in games played AND games played at a high level.

Take Collins. He had some moments but pretty much took his first year to develope and we hope he can be a beast next year.

Would you take a guy in 2015 that takes that year to develope and will not be helpful till 2017 (at wihch time Brady will be 39) or do you bite the bullet and take take a high 2nd round pick this year (which is likely as talented as the 32nd player will be in 2015 cause the report is this is a deep draft) and have him be an impact guy for every year after this one (which could be 2-3 years instead of 1-2).

That is how i was looking at it. My 1st 2nd & 3rd for next years draft was a bit of bravado but also was assuming we get a reasonably high 1st 2nd and 3rd (though in all honestly I am sure I would want a 4th too for next years draft).

Also if you want picks in 2015... well you can just trade 2016's pick! I am for that too.

I'll take a guy that works for the team. Plus, for every rookie that you get, you lose someone on the roster. Having 10 draft picks seems well and fun but are there 10 extra slots on the team for the players?? Factor in the Pats love of undrafted FAs and the roster slots get a little smaller. I'll stand by my belief that you trade later picks because you want a particular player (think Julio Jones) if you look at all the trades that BB has done, he tends to get the better of the deal when he's the one getting two picks for that first and not the other way around.

The fact that its a supposedly deep draft by the talking heads still doesn't make me like the idea that we're giving up a first round pick for a second pick. No matter how you slice it, the guy you picked was a second rounder....not a supposed first rounder in another year.

Without exception.

It isn't exactly trading forward. We'd just be getting our pick a year early, and in a really deep draft which means there's a higher chance of hitting on the pick.

Actually with the trade I suggested (just an example), we'd be moving back a few spots in terms of position.

You misunderstood, my good man.

I'm not talking about trading up.

I'm talking about trading forward ~ from 2015 to 2014.

Of course, some would refer to that as trading backwards.

People use different terms, but of course I was responding to your OP.

I'll take a guy that works for the team. Plus, for every rookie that you get, you lose someone on the roster. Having 10 draft picks seems well and fun but are there 10 extra slots on the team for the players?? Factor in the Pats love of undrafted FAs and the roster slots get a little smaller. I'll stand by my belief that you trade later picks because you want a particular player (think Julio Jones) if you look at all the trades that BB has done, he tends to get the better of the deal when he's the one getting two picks for that first and not the other way around.

The fact that its a supposedly deep draft by the talking heads still doesn't make me like the idea that we're giving up a first round pick for a second pick. No matter how you slice it, the guy you picked was a second rounder....not a supposed first rounder in another year.

I am not suggesting we draft 10 people. We don't need 10. How about 8 though. And how about 8 in the first 4 rounds?

That is what I am suggesting.

The draft forum is quiet enough as it is thank you. If we didn't have a first round pick to discuss, it would be even quieter. Screw the team, what am I going to do?

There. That's my reason for not doing it :snob:

;)

MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
Back