PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

I Like Carter, But I Like The 3-4 Better

Status
Not open for further replies.

mgteich

PatsFans.com Veteran
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
To me, the defense looked much better in the 3-4. It would be great to re-sign Anderson no matter what Belichick has in mind for next season.

It probably looked better because the 3-4 is a designed run-stopping D against the #1 running team in the NFL.

The why wasn't best coaching staff in the nfl using the 3-4 from the beginning of the game?

It probably looked better because the 3-4 is a designed run-stopping D against the #1 running team in the NFL.

To me, the defense looked much better in the 3-4. It would be great to re-sign Anderson no matter what Belichick has in mind for next season.

He'll probably cut Anderson next pre-season and put Underwood at DE.

The why wasn't best coaching staff in the nfl using the 3-4 from the beginning of the game?

Because they put what they thought was the best personnel configuration on the field, and it happened to be a 43 alignment, but, because they are the best coaching staff in the NFL they realized the error and corrected.

You wont like the 3-4 when we face a real passing team. We need a pass rush (which we get out of the 4-3 with Carter leading the way), losing Carter is going to kill us IMO unelss Anderson lights it up. Not trying to sound like a nancy here, but I can't see this team overiding this loss. Carter WAS the pass rush.

I agree. Plus the fact that Tebow isn't very accurate, it allowed the Pats to blitz more (although they got good pressure at times with a 4 man rush) because they didn't have to worry about the coverage as much.

I have not been one to bash this defense, but I am a little hesitant to make sweeping declarations based on one game. Let's see if they run it and it works over the next two games.

Last edited:
You wont like the 3-4 when we face a real passing team. We need a pass rush (which we get out of the 4-3 with Carter leading the way), losing Carter is going to kill us IMO unelss Anderson lights it up. Not trying to sound like a nancy here, but I can't see this team overiding this loss. Carter WAS the pass rush.
I know what you're saying. But after Carter went out they generated some serious pass rush.

It has nothing to do with whether we line up in a 34 or 43.
In truth the 34 is a better pass rush alignment because it disgusies who the 4th rusher is.
You are confusing 34 and 43 with one gap and 2 gap.
I think you are also confusing base and sub nickel packages because I havent studied the film, but I'm pretty sure the pass rush you liked seeing was in a sub package.

The 34 forced 2 fumbles, and we used them to build a huge lead. Play for play I'm not sure it was so superior.

Andre Carter, that's why. He's a 4 3 DE. Mark Anderson at least has tried to play OLB and to some degree that worked yesterday but I don't think we'd want Anderson as a full time OLB, especially against the run.

Great Post, not against 1) Steelers (2 even the Ravens and #3 dont even think about Saints or Pakckers. Those Teams would play pitch and catch with our Defense.

It's kind of hard to play pass defense on early downs with what amounts to having 5 DLs on the field which is pretty much the case when the Patriots play 3-4. Denver is an unique offense so what works against it doesn't necessarily mean it will work against anyone else. This defense scares me to death but I'm far more scared of the pass defense than stopping the run. Denver and Washington have been running the ball well against everybody.

Just a thought. But will the limitation on padded practices actually result in an increased effectiveness for running teams? You really can't practice defending the run without contact which I think explains some of the pats problems in this area the last 2 weeks.

I agree with u completely......Carter was invaluable to this defense. He AND Anderson have been THE pass rush. I expect our defense will suffer w/out him in there.....

It's kind of hard to play pass defense on early downs with what amounts to having 5 DLs on the field which is pretty much the case when the Patriots play 3-4. Denver is an unique offense so what works against it doesn't necessarily mean it will work against anyone else. This defense scares me to death but I'm far more scared of the pass defense than stopping the run. Denver and Washington have been running the ball well against everybody.

This comment makes no sense. The Pats played Ninkovich and Anderson at OLB when they are in the 3-4. That's one guy who plays OLB in a 4-3 alignment and another that plays DE. The easiest way to explain the differences between the two alignments are additional coverage responsibilities for Anderson, whether Anderson/Nink has his hand down or stands up, and an uncertainty as to where the 4th rusher and any blitzers are coming from.

What worked yesterday was going to a 2-gap 3-4 base defense to offset the run for most of the snaps since Denver didn't spread them wide with 4-5 receivers. Against a team like the Packers or Saints, the Pats will almost assuredly not play most of their snaps out of their 3-4 or 4-3 base defense due to the extra WR's on the field. Instead they'll play most of their snaps out of their sub-packages with 5 or 6 DB's on the field, which should ease your concern of "5 DL's" playing on early downs.

Losing a good player never helps.

Even if it cost us Both First's we want QUALITY not Quantity.
More likely to cost the New England Patriots the New England Patriots first round draft pick and the New England Patriots second round draft pick.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back