PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

I hope that Mayo, Groh and Wolf are paying attention tonight.

Right, but if Chase was out instead of Burrow, I think Cincy makes the playoffs.

I'm back and forth, if we were at #2 or #1 it's easy to go QB.
It's only a question on MHJ vs Daniels because MHJ is such a generational prospect at Wide Receiver and Daniels is not at the level of Maye or Williams, based on the current consensus from scouts.

One other factor I don't think people consider (assuming these 3 players are great picks):

Maye is 21 years old, big and strong and his skill set as a passer that sets him up for a long career, so you could have a 15-year #1 QB.
MHJ is 21, receivers start to decline at 30+ but you still get 10 years as #1 receiver. Assuming he will resign with you.
Daniels is 24, his elite skill is his running ability, which means susceptible to injury and likely falls off at a younger age so might count on 8 years as a franchise QB.

Seems like a small, pretty meaningless point but I think it should factor in, which is why I would be willing to trade 3 #1's for Maye but would not for someone with Daniels skill set. What's losing the next 2 years of #1 picks when you have 15+ years of a #1 QB?
To be completely fair, Chase played the 2nd half of the season hurt every game, that didn't really help.

Your point about taking the 21 year old is spot on though. Penix is 24 with two bad knees, Daniels is 24 and hadn't done anything until this year (at least Penix has his history in Indiana behind him).

I certainly would never trade 3 number ones for Drake Maye, however.

The more I think I feel we will be conservative and draft MHJ . That's one spot solved out of 5 ( QB, TE,OT, FS,WR). And If we pass on daniels everyone else will have the Bo callahan effect .

So we can possibly trade into mid 15s to sign daniels If he is available. I thinkbthe gulf between penix and daniels is not too much .

Trade 3rd rounder for fields . I think bears fans are being unrealistic witg trade prospects . I don't think fields nets anything more than a 3rd rounder . Vikings and raiders will not trade for fields . It's probably just us and possibly Atlanta if cousins does nit sign with them.

Get MHJ, one decent OT from draft, resign onwenu and henry and some middle if pack FD from free agency. Let Dugger and uche walk. Resign uche if he comes back on 1 year prove it deal.

Couldn’t disagree more. It’s much easier to find receivers than it is to find a franchise QB.

That is what I said. Many teams have two #1 receivers. But because elite QBs are so rare, there is usually one or less per draft. It is extremely rare that two or three QBs become elite in a single draft.

Last edited:
Right, but if Chase was out instead of Burrow, I think Cincy makes the playoffs.

I'm back and forth, if we were at #2 or #1 it's easy to go QB.
It's only a question on MHJ vs Daniels because MHJ is such a generational prospect at Wide Receiver and Daniels is not at the level of Maye or Williams, based on the current consensus from scouts.

One other factor I don't think people consider (assuming these 3 players are great picks):

Maye is 21 years old, big and strong and his skill set as a passer that sets him up for a long career, so you could have a 15-year #1 QB.
MHJ is 21, receivers start to decline at 30+ but you still get 10 years as #1 receiver. Assuming he will resign with you.
Daniels is 24, his elite skill is his running ability, which means susceptible to injury and likely falls off at a younger age so might count on 8 years as a franchise QB.

Seems like a small, pretty meaningless point but I think it should factor in, which is why I would be willing to trade 3 #1's for Maye but would not for someone with Daniels skill set. What's losing the next 2 years of #1 picks when you have 15+ years of a #1 QB?

Burrow is an elite QB. They don’t grow on trees. The Bengals are an outlier. They have an elite QB and WR.

And I don’t believe in just drafting a QB because you are at #3. You gotta love a QB to draft him that high or he will likely be a bust. See the 49ers and Trey Lance. Too many teams with really high draft picks and are QB needy fall into this trap. They draft a QB because they think they will never be this high in the draft to do so. If they do it without loving the QB, they end up in that position two or three years later.

To be completely fair, Chase played the 2nd half of the season hurt every game, that didn't really help.

Your point about taking the 21 year old is spot on though. Penix is 24 with two bad knees, Daniels is 24 and hadn't done anything until this year (at least Penix has his history in Indiana behind him).

Daniels threw over 1000 passes before this year. The only real difference in his numbers was the td passes but his team scored 34.5 ppg in 2022

Disagree completely. I would re sign Elliot,keep Stevenson, tag Onwenu, keep Sow, Strange, Andrews, and a couple of the bench OL, keep Douglas.

I would draft a QB at #3, move up for a tackle in the second half of the 1st round, then target WR’s and another tackle in the rest of the draft. Sign a veteran QB, and bring in completition on the OL and at WR, as well as TE.

They can’t do everything in one offseason, but they can make a lot of headway. They have some pieces in offense, but clearly need many more.
I hear Zeke is gone to the Pack, and Onwenu is a lost cause. Team needs two starting OTs, two RBs, three WRs, a TE, plus of course a QB unless you want to roll with Zappe and Corky. There’s a lot to do.

I hear Zeke is gone to the Pack, and Onwenu is a lost cause. Team needs two starting OTs, two RBs, three WRs, a TE, plus of course a QB unless you want to roll with Zappe and Corky. There’s a lot to do.
An OC too.

Josh will follow BB to Atlanta.

watching the resurrection of guys like Goff and mayfield is interesting to watch. Maybe some guys just develop at different rates.

Also could be that the bucs have a roster that has mayfield throwing to Evan’s/godwin.

I mean if we don’t upgrade the position whomever we get will be throwing to juju/parker

I remember Plunkett
His situation was quite similar to Mac Jones.

Plunkett was drafted #1 overall & struggle with New England’s offense

We made a great trade & he ended up in San Francisco. We got the better of that deal & we rolled with Grogan

Plunkett ended up with the Raiders in a great position & he won two superbowls

Sometimes being in the right position at the right time is key.

Purdy could be a backup today if Trey Lance worked out for SF.

Last edited:
The good news…..

The coaching staff stayed at a holiday inn express last night

Mayo made that Glaser hire because being in compliance is of utmost importance.
Mayo didn't make the hire. She's been with the Krafts for over 15 years and has been with the team for quite a while now.

Mayo made that Glaser hire because being in compliance is of utmost importance.
From Phil Perry:

"She was a point person during COVID, is my understanding," Perry said. "She was the team's compliance officer, so the binder of boxes that you needed checked as as an NFL team to make sure that you were compliant with all the different COVID rules, she was the point person on that. So, she's done a lot of different things.

"She's helping players with social justice initiatives, has worked closely with Matthew Slater and Devin and Jason McCourty and Deatrich Wise. She does a lot. Incredibly intelligent, obviously very well-trusted by the Krafts, has a very good relationship with Jerod Mayo too.

" ... I think she's going to help Jerod Mayo handle a lot of the new things that will now come across his desk that haven't come across his desk before, that he may not always have the most time for because he's head coach now."

Curran also said the same thing I mentioned earlier - it sounds like they're grooming her to potentially take on roles that Meier (who is getting up there in age) held:

"Curran also could see Glaser being like Nancy Meier, the Patriots' director of scouting administration and the team's longest-tenured employee who handles many essential logistics behind the scenes."

So again, not a compliance thing. Likely more of a continuity thing.

From Phil Perry:

"She was a point person during COVID, is my understanding," Perry said. "She was the team's compliance officer, so the binder of boxes that you needed checked as as an NFL team to make sure that you were compliant with all the different COVID rules, she was the point person on that. So, she's done a lot of different things.

"She's helping players with social justice initiatives, has worked closely with Matthew Slater and Devin and Jason McCourty and Deatrich Wise. She does a lot. Incredibly intelligent, obviously very well-trusted by the Krafts, has a very good relationship with Jerod Mayo too.

" ... I think she's going to help Jerod Mayo handle a lot of the new things that will now come across his desk that haven't come across his desk before, that he may not always have the most time for because he's head coach now."

Curran also said the same thing I mentioned earlier - it sounds like they're grooming her to potentially take on roles that Meier (who is getting up there in age) held:

"Curran also could see Glaser being like Nancy Meier, the Patriots' director of scouting administration and the team's longest-tenured employee who handles many essential logistics behind the scenes."

So again, not a compliance thing. Likely more of a continuity thing.
That's all well and good.

But, I am just calling this what it is and that is Kraft promoting one of his own into a visible NFL position. I, like others, are looking for moves that translate into more wins. Like a cutting edge OC, but Maybe a DEI or ESG officer moves the needle and is just what this team has been lacking?

On NFL Draft Buzz This year's draft has 12 players with 89 or above rating, 2025 has 2 players 89 or above. After reviewing multiple sites I've seen for this year there are about 14 first round draft prospects based on rating in 2024 and right now only 2 in 2025. It will change during the season but it seems in 2025 Running Back is the only position where here will be better depth and top players in 2025 over 2024.
A first round pick in the middle of the round is a 2nd round quality prospect in 2025. Patriots should absolutely look to use the 2025 draft pick to move up at some point in 2024, and for a franchise QB I'm ok giving up 2026 also. You'll be drafting at the bottom of the round if you are right anyways, Strange, Jones, Harry, Wynn, Michel, Brown, Easley are the last 7 Pats first round picks, I'd trade all 7 for Maye. People over estimate first round picks, if you not in the top 5 the chances the player becoming elite is slim, thus you should trade them to get an elite player at QB,

I now live in NC and never been a big College Football but have reviewed every throw this year by Maye and have talked to a ton of people that are lifetime UNC Fans.

Maye is, at worst, Baker Mayfield with better running skills and at best Josh Allen with more accuracy.
UNC would have won 3 games this year with a good starting QB, they won 8 and it was all Maye. They have zero top 100 prospects on that team outside of him and only 1 other offensive player might get drafted.
Patriots would have won at least 8 games this year with him at QB. He makes Wow throws with his arm into tight spaces. To me He's the closest to a sure a thing to be a quality QB in the NFL as there is. Williams has some unique traits, but you do have the size and character questions at least. Though I think he'll be really good in the NFL as well.

That's all well and good.

But, I am just calling this what it is and that is Kraft promoting one of his own into a visible NFL position. I, like others, are looking for moves that translate into more wins. Like a cutting edge OC, but Maybe a DEI or ESG officer moves the needle and is just what this team has been lacking?
I’m calling this what it is, an idiotic attempt to bring politics into a football discussion.

I’m calling this what it is, an idiotic attempt to bring politics into a football discussion.
Im calling it now.

Youre off your medications again.

I remember Plunkett
His situation was quite similar to Mac Jones.

Plunkett was drafted #1 overall & struggle with New England’s offense

We made a great trade & he ended up in San Francisco. We got the better of that deal & we rolled with Grogan

Plunkett ended up with the Raiders in a great position & he won two superbowls

Sometimes being in the right position at the right time is key.

Purdy could be a backup today if Trey Lance worked out for SF.

and Purdy could be out of the league if he ended up on the patriots...

Burrow is an elite QB. They don’t grow on trees. The Bengals are an outlier. They have an elite QB and WR.

And I don’t believe in just drafting a QB because you are at #3. You gotta love a QB to draft him that high or he will likely be a bust. See the 49ers and Trey Lance. Too many teams with really high draft picks and are QB needy fall into this trap. They draft a QB because they think they will never be this high in the draft to do so. If they do it without loving the QB, they end up in that position two or three years later.

there is a large chance that at least 2 of the top 3 QB's taken maybe all 3 will end up as busts. If they feel the #3 QB is no better than the #4, #5 or #6th taken. don't just take one there. history says they will not be good.

fans have very quick revisionist history when it comes to drafts. everyone is a "cant miss prospect!" until the NFL season starts and its "how did they not know!"

the mac jones draft was hailed as generational. looking back on it, it was generationally bad....and trevor lawrence while good isn't the peyton manning generational talent he was thought to be.

2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
Back