PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

I hope that Mayo, Groh and Wolf are paying attention tonight.

All the top receivers are home watching, all the top QB's are still playing. It's not rocket science; it is just a question of drafting the right guy but you do have to draft them to get 1. Even the Lions and Rams traded the guys they drafted to each other.

That isn't true. Tua led the league in yards. Prescott led league in passing TDs. Both were in the top five in yards, TDs, and completion percentage. Both are home now.

Amon-Ra St. Pierre (3rd in receiving yards), Brandon Aiyuk (7th), Nico Collins (8th), and Mike Evans (9th) are all still in the playoffs.

Also, AJ Brown didn't play last week. It really affected Hurts.

Yes, having a top QB is a real advantage to get into and go deep in the playoffs. But you see guys like Goff, Mayfield, Purdy, etc. who are still in the playoffs and aren't the greatest QBs, but benefit from a stellar supporting cast on offense. If you don't have a top QB, you can still have a contender if you have great receivers.

makes you wonder if it was the coaching/roster...
View attachment 55969

this is clearly his best year. but he wasn't bad in 2020. maybe its proof also that some guys just develop at different rates? or if you build a solid roster around them guys can succeed. hes probably closer to 2021 stats if he's with the patriots throwing to juju/parker behind this line.. better than mac/zappe but fans calling for his head and to upgrade.

it is a nice story to watch. same with Goff, looking like he finally gets the game.
I think the biggest issue with Mayfield's was his coaching; specifically, the lack of consistency.

2018 HC: Hue Jackson, Gregg Williams
2018 OC: Todd Haley, Freddie Kitchens

2019 HC: Freddie Kitchens
2019 OC: Todd Monken

2020 HC: Kevin Stefanski
2020 OC: Alex Van Pelt

2021 HC: Kevin Stefanski
2021 OC: Alex Van Pelt
(Mayfield played much of the season with a partially torn labrum)

2022 - traded to Carolina, who was 5-12 in 2021. The Panthers had traded away their 2nd and 4th round picks to the Jets for Sam Darnold, a 3rd to Jax for CB CJ Henderson, and traded up to draft QB Matt Corrall in the 3rd. The end result was an OT with the 6th overall pick, a 4th string QB in the 3rd round, a LB in the 4th - no 2nd round pick, no 5th round pick.

Then they traded away their best player, RB Christian McCaffrey early in the 2022 season. Mayfield had a high ankle sprain early in the year and rarely got back in the lineup.

2022 HC: Matt Ruhle
2022 OC: Joe Brady, Jeff Nixon

Mayfield was released and finished the season with the Rams.

2022 HC: Sean McVay
2022 OC: Liam Coen

This season he signed with the Bucs, with a rookie OC. His highest level previously was QB coach with Seattle, and earlier in the season he was being skewered in the Tampa media for his play calling.

2023 HC: Todd Bowles
2023 OC: Dave Canales

That's a total of 7 different head coaches and 8 different offensive coordinators in six seasons. Only one season with a repeat of HC and OC - and that year he was playing with a torn labrum. Not exactly a recipe for success.

Yea man. Offensive line was incredible this year and we should definitely keep the majority of them.

OL is a priority, but not every one of them has the be replaced. So you build around the good rices and let go the rest. And Andrews and Onwenu will need to be replaced, but can still be a part of next season. Unlike you who don’t think every player on offense needs to be replaced, but I agree with the idea that the offense needs major effort to, and outlined how I would go about it.

@archstanton543 - go ahead and explain how an upgrade at QB will make more of a difference than not upgrading both tackle positions.

OL is a priority, but not every one of them has the be replaced. So you build around the good rices and let go the rest. And Andrews and Onwenu will need to be replaced, but can still be a part of next season. Unlike you who don’t think every player on offense needs to be replaced, but I agree with the idea that the offense needs major effort to, and outlined how I would go about it.

We had the 7th ranked defense overall. The offense needs a complete rehaul.

Loved Troy as a player, not so much as a WR coach (although I will concede that he didn't have much, if any talent to work with). I just think we can do better at WR coach(s).
Love had the benefit of sitting behind Rodgers for a while he also has a dam good offensive HC. Yeah I agree Troy was a hell of a Patriot, but he's done a great job with pop Douglas.

Love had the benefit of sitting behind Rodgers for a while he also has a dam good offensive HC. Yeah I agree Troy was a hell of a Patriot, but he's done a great job with pop Douglas.
With Douglas, Yes. With the rest of the WR Corps, not so much. Although I will concede that overall WR talent has been severely lacking.

With Douglas, Yes. With the rest of the WR Corps, not so much. Although I will concede that overall WR talent has been severely lacking.
Juju, Parker are veterans so they are what they are.. Boutte could not get on the field, Thornton is a bust.. so yeah... pop he has a bright future here

That isn't true. Tua led the league in yards. Prescott led league in passing TDs. Both were in the top five in yards, TDs, and completion percentage. Both are home now.

Amon-Ra St. Pierre (3rd in receiving yards), Brandon Aiyuk (7th), Nico Collins (8th), and Mike Evans (9th) are all still in the playoffs.

Also, AJ Brown didn't play last week. It really affected Hurts.

Yes, having a top QB is a real advantage to get into and go deep in the playoffs. But you see guys like Goff, Mayfield, Purdy, etc. who are still in the playoffs and aren't the greatest QBs, but benefit from a stellar supporting cast on offense. If you don't have a top QB, you can still have a contender if you have great receivers.

Mahomes, Jackson, Allen are almost everyone's top 3. Jordan Love is playing the best of any QB the last 8 weeks tho, still alive.
Jefferson, Tyreek, Chase are probably the top 3 receivers. Sitting at home

Only San Fran and Miami have shown you can be in playoff contention year after year with a QB that is probably not top 10 and surround him with all pro level skill players.
There are probably 9 teams that have a QB good enough to say, without a top 10 receiver, they'd still put them in playoff contention.

Seems easier to try to go the QB route, mainly because it is 1 player, to go the 49ers or Dolphins route you have to have a QB or several of the skill players on rookie contract to make that work. It can only work for so long. With a franchise QB you can be in contention for 10-15 years.

Ideally you have a clear true #1 WR and a true top 10 franchise QB. Everyone else is interchangeable at that point. But if you had to pick one or the other it is always going to be the QB. The Chiefs chose Kelce over Hill, they could not keep both for example and never would have kept both over Mahomes..

Only San Fran and Miami have shown you can be in playoff contention year after year with a QB that is probably not top 10 and surround him with all pro level skill players.
Miami has shown what? They made the playoffs 4 times in 20 years and got bumped in the wildcard round every time. Mac Jones managed that in his first year...

Mahomes, Jackson, Allen are almost everyone's top 3. Jordan Love is playing the best of any QB the last 8 weeks tho, still alive.
Jefferson, Tyreek, Chase are probably the top 3 receivers. Sitting at home

There are probably 9 teams that have a QB good enough to say, without a top 10 receiver, they'd still put them in playoff contention.

Seems easier to try to go the QB route, mainly because it is 1 player, to go the 49ers or Dolphins route you have to have a QB or several of the skill players on rookie contract to make that work. It can only work for so long. With a franchise QB you can be in contention for 10-15 years.

Ideally you have a clear true #1 WR and a true top 10 franchise QB. Everyone else is interchangeable at that point. But if you had to pick one or the other it is always going to be the QB. The Chiefs chose Kelce over Hill, they could not keep both for example and never would have kept both over Mahomes..

It is definitely easier to go with giving elite weapons to an average QB route. It is far easier to find a top flight receiver than it is to find a top flight QB.

As for Jefferson and Chase, they lost their starting QBs. And Burrow was never right this year. He got injured in the preseason and should have sat out the start of the year and didn't and it hurt their team. I am sure if Burrow and Cousins were healthy, they would have made the playoffs. And they might still be playing. I think a healthy Burrow might have made the Bengals the favorite right now to make the Super Bowl out of the AFC.

But you need a good receiving corp beyond the one elite WR. You don't need to be the Dolphins or Bengals with two #1 WRs, but just solid.

We had the 7th ranked defense overall. The offense needs a complete rehaul.

I don’t disagree with that, what I disagreed with was the statement that they all have to go. There are pieces they can build around.

It is definitely easier to go with giving elite weapons to an average QB route. It is far easier to find a top flight receiver than it is to find a top flight QB.

As for Jefferson and Chase, they lost their starting QBs. And Burrow was never right this year. He got injured in the preseason and should have sat out the start of the year and didn't and it hurt their team. I am sure if Burrow and Cousins were healthy, they would have made the playoffs. And they might still be playing. I think a healthy Burrow might have made the Bengals the favorite right now to make the Super Bowl out of the AFC.

But you need a good receiving corp beyond the one elite WR. You don't need to be the Dolphins or Bengals with two #1 WRs, but just solid.

Couldn’t disagree more. It’s much easier to find receivers than it is to find a franchise QB.

Coming from the authority......

Agree completely. No one knows more about being ignorant than he does. He has a lifetime of experience of being the most ignorant person in the room.

Miami has shown what? They made the playoffs 4 times in 20 years and got bumped in the wildcard round every time. Mac Jones managed that in his first year...
Of the current teams in the NFL, Miami has had Tyreek Hill and Waddle for 2 years and made the playoffs., with an average QB, they will be in the playoff hunt next year if they keep those 2. We are talking about the current QB and skill positions not about the team's long history.

As for Jefferson and Chase, they lost their starting QBs. And Burrow was never right this year. He got injured in the preseason and should have sat out the
Right, but if Chase was out instead of Burrow, I think Cincy makes the playoffs.

I'm back and forth, if we were at #2 or #1 it's easy to go QB.
It's only a question on MHJ vs Daniels because MHJ is such a generational prospect at Wide Receiver and Daniels is not at the level of Maye or Williams, based on the current consensus from scouts.

One other factor I don't think people consider (assuming these 3 players are great picks):

Maye is 21 years old, big and strong and his skill set as a passer that sets him up for a long career, so you could have a 15-year #1 QB.
MHJ is 21, receivers start to decline at 30+ but you still get 10 years as #1 receiver. Assuming he will resign with you.
Daniels is 24, his elite skill is his running ability, which means susceptible to injury and likely falls off at a younger age so might count on 8 years as a franchise QB.

Seems like a small, pretty meaningless point but I think it should factor in, which is why I would be willing to trade 3 #1's for Maye but would not for someone with Daniels skill set. What's losing the next 2 years of #1 picks when you have 15+ years of a #1 QB?

2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
Back