I hate to say i told you so

Status
Not open for further replies.

English Patriot

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
I posted this just over a month ago:
For the 2016 Pats to be in/win SB 51 the D has to improve ALOT

And lo and behold since then NOTHING has changed, if anything they look WORSE on defense. People really, really, REALLY, need to stop looking at in depth analytics or metrics because it simply doesn't work in football. The EYE TEST tells you everything you need to know so please just forget about 'we're second in blah, blah, blah' or 'we give up blah amounts of blah' because none of it matters as football is a game of FEEL. So for those of you banging on about these meaningless stats let me ask: if our own coach (who is the GOAT) doesn't give a crap about these numbers then why do you?

What matters is come playoff time when the teams get REALLY good, based on what your EYES have seen can this team stop a potent offense? Can they make plays so Brady doesn't have to drive us 80 yards on every possession (because they don't get turnovers meaning our offense starts way, way back)

So i'm going to emphasise once again, for the 2016 Pats to be in/win SB 51 the D has to improve ALOT because there is nothing wrong with the offense. They can run it, they can go short, they can go deep, they can go down the seam, basically wherever Tom wants to put it he can so long as the o-line continues to hold up.

And lo and behold since then NOTHING has changed, if anything they look WORSE on defense. People really, really, REALLY, need to stop looking at in depth analytics or metrics because it simply doesn't work in football. The EYE TEST tells you everything you need to know so please just forget about 'we're second in blah, blah, blah' or 'we give up blah amounts of blah' because none of it matters as football is a game of FEEL. So for those of you banging on about these meaningless stats let me ask: if our own coach (who is the GOAT) doesn't give a crap about these numbers then why do you?

What matters is come playoff time when the teams get REALLY good, based on what your EYES have seen can this team stop a potent offense? Can they make plays so Brady doesn't have to drive us 80 yards on every possession (because they don't get turnovers meaning our offense starts way, way back)

So i'm going to emphasise once again, for the 2016 Pats to be in/win SB 51 the D has to improve ALOT because there is nothing wrong with the offense. They can run it, they can go short, they can go deep, they can go down the seam, basically wherever Tom wants to put it he can so long as the o-line continues to hold up.

Brace for impact dude.

If the defense gives up 31 points, 428 yards, and allows the opponent 32:39 TOP in the Divisional round, they will have performed no worse than the 2014 SB winning defense did.

You have no idea how the rest of the season will go down or how each unit will have to perform in each playoff game in order for the team to win. The aforementioned defensive stats would usually result in a loss far more often than not. But we've got the GOAT on offense, and as long as we're healthy, we always have a great chance of winning a SB.

I think you belong in the "Unsatisfactory Win" thread...They looked a lot better yesterday than last week.
They were but may i remind you that it was bottom feeding San Fran and not SB contender Seahawks that they played better against.

If the defense gives up 31 points, 428 yards, and allows the opponent 32:39 TOP in the Divisional round, they will have performed no worse than the 2014 SB winning defense did.

You have no idea how the rest of the season will go down or how each unit will have to perform in each playoff game in order for the team to win. The aforementioned defensive stats would usually result in a loss far more often than not. But we've got the GOAT on offense, and as long as we're healthy, we always have a great chance of winning a SB.
No team can ever say they feel confident giving up that amount but with 2014 team, there was a feel that they could get the job done. The 2016 defense feels like the 2011 one that let the Giants do them over again.

Just a small interruption in your bravado .. if one may:

Don't you think you should give the benefit of “what matters is come playoff time“ IMPROVEMENT - that you automatically apply to all other contenders - also to Pats coaches and team?

Im all for “eye tests“ and “feelings“ but your A LOT category is a bit too vague, no?

Last edited:
No team can ever say they feel confident giving up that amount but with 2014 team, there was a feel that they could get the job done. The 2016 defense feels like the 2011 one that let the Giants do them over again.

They lost in the SB by 4 points that year. If Welker makes that catch, that team, with THAT defense, wins a SB. If you don't think this team is better, on both sides of the ball, than that 2011 team, then you're just blindly hating on the 2016 team for no reason.

We held the 49ers to 10 points the whole game the last 7 was garbage time, now if they would hung over 30 then yea we would be in trouble, our D only gave up one TD almost the whole game, it might not have been pretty at times but we held them to one TD really the whole game

My eyes see the scoreboard.
My eyes see 7 of the last 8 games allowing 17 points or less (discounting the Bills backups vs our backups scoring with 30 seconds left down 24 which we all know doesn't matter).
Our coach agrees, btw that points allowed IS what matters.

Your 'eye test' is no more than a different version of reading stats, and means no more or less.
The bottom line is keeping points off the board and winning games.

There was a feel they could get the job done? WTF does that even mean?

Just a small interruption in your bravado .. if one may:

Don't you think you should give the benefit of “what matters is come playoff time“ IMPROVEMENT - that you automatically apply to all other contenders - also to Pats coaches and team.

Im all for “eye tests“ and “feelings“ but your A LOT category is a bit too vague, no?

Well what would you like to know? What standout aspect of the Pats D is there? They look very average from front to back end and hence why they need to improve a lot to become a true SB contender. I don't think the AFC will be too much of a problem but the AFC championship game itself and maybe beyond is a different story if they continue to play the way they are.

Confidence is a dangerous (deceptive) feeling ..

After 10 games the 2014 Patriots were 8-2 and allowed 218 points
After 10 games the 2016 Patriots are 8-2 and allowed 180 points.

Sigh. Can't you people just go away? I'm all for pointing out that the Patriots could improve (there's no doubt they aren't playing to potential on defense), but must it carry with it such gleeful malice? It's reached a level of schadenfreude that is silly for people who claim to be fans of a team. You'd think that we were the Browns or something with the way people carry on around here.

After 10 games the 2014 Patriots were 8-2 and allowed 218 points
After 10 games the 2016 Patriots are 8-2 and allowed 180 points.
Numbers again.....

You didn't take into account teams played or how good their offenses are/were. What i saw is at home the Pats played a team last week that is more than likely going to get to the NFC title game and got beat up on. Brady and co could only do so much but the defense was SOFT.

Argue that?

You obviously don't hate to say it that much since you felt the need to create a new thread for no other purpose than to remind everyone of some other post you made.

I wish there was a "this is stupid" rating I could give posts without necessarily agreeing or disagreeing. Because I agree that the defense hasn't been at all what it needs to be, but I still don't really get why this thread exists.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents