PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Hypocrite Dungy Slams the Patriots

Status
Not open for further replies.
If only the sanctimonious and holier than thou Dunchy paid just a TAD more attention to his SON'S needs and less pontificating about other teams, perhaps the poor child would still be alive today.

ESPN's Matt Mosley has this take...

I've been a Dungy fan for several years, but he comes off sounding pretty sanctimonious in those quotes. Tony, we know you think Belichick cheated to win those Super Bowls. You've made your point loud and clear.

I just think taking shots at the Patriots organization during a book rally at a local high school seems a bit misguided.

LINK

Could you please stop with the nonsense? What the Patriots did was not illegal. It was not, in fact, considered against the rules until Goodell ruled upon it, or certainly was not enforced as such. As is now well known, the team had been using this filming technique, in full view of every team in the league and the NFL front office, since 2000. Commissioner Clouseau took office and put his incompetence on display in handing down his idiotic ruling.

Now, how's coach Mudd doing these days?

Guess I was wrong, then. I was under the impression that video taping opposing coaches signals was illegal from ANYWHERE in the stadium.

N.F.L. policy prohibits videotaping opposing coaches giving signals. Last year, the N.F.L.’s executive vice president of football operations, Ray Anderson, sent a memo to teams reminding them of the rule. The memo is believed to have been generated in part by suspicions that the Patriots had videotaped coaches at several games last season.

In a memo sent Sept. 6, 2006, NFL vice president Ray Anderson emphasized to coaches that videotaping opponents' signals from anywhere in the stadium was prohibited. Although the NFL's competition committee has discussed such tactics, there have been no amendments to the rule in recent years.

Isn't this what the Pats got punished for?:confused:

Guess I was wrong, then. I was under the impression that video taping opposing coaches signals was illegal from ANYWHERE in the stadium.

The Anderson 'memo' was a 'reminder' of a rule, not a rule in itself (yet made an alarming attempt to legislate with it's own skewed interpretation) ... the NFL is just as guilty of cherry picking and seeing what they want in a rule as Belichick is, end of story.

There is nothing in the manual that says what Anderson's second memo stated & as you quote above. As you have probably seen 50 times, the manual says;

"Videotaping of any type, including but not limited to taping of an opponent's offensive or defensive signals, is prohibited on the sidelines, in the coaches' booth, in the locker room, or at any other locations accessible to club staff members during the game."

Last year when the NY Jets were discovered to have video taped the Patriots in our own stadium from the end zone, Kraft asked the league to look into it. This was NFL spokesman Greg Aiello's response;

"It is not uncommon for visiting team video crews to request permission to shoot coaching video from both upper end zone positions," spokesman Greg Aiello wrote in an email. "Home clubs must provide visiting clubs with equal vantage points for the taping of games. Teams typically shoot coaching video from one upper 50-yard line location and one upper end zone location, but there are no restrictions on shooting from both upper end zone positions as long as the opportunity is provided to both teams. No permission is needed from the league office."

Talk about contradictory!

Last edited:
The Anderson 'memo' was a 'reminder' of a rule, not a rule in itself (yet made an alarming attempt to legislate with it's own skewed interpretation) ... the NFL is just as guilty of cherry picking and seeing what they want in a rule as Belichick is, end of story.

There is nothing in the manual that says what Anderson's second memo stated & as you quote above. As you have probably seen 50 times, the manual says;

"Videotaping of any type, including but not limited to taping of an opponent's offensive or defensive signals, is prohibited on the sidelines, in the coaches' booth, in the locker room, or at any other locations accessible to club staff members during the game."

Last year when the NY Jets were discovered to have video taped the Patriots in our own stadium from the end zone, Kraft asked the league to look into it. This was NFL spokesman Greg Aiello's response;

"It is not uncommon for visiting team video crews to request permission to shoot coaching video from both upper end zone positions," spokesman Greg Aiello wrote in an email. "Home clubs must provide visiting clubs with equal vantage points for the taping of games. Teams typically shoot coaching video from one upper 50-yard line location and one upper end zone location, but there are no restrictions on shooting from both upper end zone positions as long as the opportunity is provided to both teams. No permission is needed from the league office."

Talk about contradictory!

Lol, it was nice of you to be gracious after Dave owned you over at Coltfreaks.:D

You are confused. The Dolphins did it. The Jets did it. And the NFL was OK with it. If you truly believe what you wrote, then explain to me why it's ok for other teams t do it.

Just as well...after all, it takes a great guy to send a troubled kid away...blah blah...whole history...etc...hate Dungy. Just a horrible, horrible person.
I'd rather have a coach with no class, who really did cheat (is anyone naive enough to believe he mis-interpreted the rule? This brilliant tactician? This genius?), and ruined his mistress' marriage by being the same self absorbed, condenscending jerk, who happened to be out coached in this year's Super Bowl, last year's AFC championship game.

Oh, I've been a Patriot fan for over 40 years. So don't start that troll stuff. I've never liked Belichick. Ever.

Quick quiz: How many Super Bowl's has Parcells won without Belichick?

Ans: The same number as BB won without Weis or Romeo!

I'd rather have a coach with no class, who really did cheat (is anyone naive enough to believe he mis-interpreted the rule? This brilliant tactician? This genius?), and ruined his mistress' marriage by being the same self absorbed, condenscending jerk, who happened to be out coached in this year's Super Bowl, last year's AFC championship game.

Oh, I've been a Patriot fan for over 40 years. So don't start that troll stuff. I've never liked Belichick. Ever.

Quick quiz: How many Super Bowl's has Parcells won without Belichick?

Ans: The same number as BB won without Weis or Romeo!

Thanks for the news, troll.

im just curious, how does that make him a hypocrite?

Go back a page ;) He hired Howard Mudd, a known signal stealer according to Jimmy Johnson.

im just curious, how does that make him a hypocrite?

Employs Howard Mudd, the dean of tapers, has Polian on competition committee to chnge rules to favor the Colts, uses blasting amplifiers to up crowd noise, turns up the heat on the opposing team to establish competitive advantage.

He's a hypocrite.

Go back a page ;) He hired Howard Mudd, a known signal stealer according to Jimmy Johnson.

Unless Mudd has broken the rules to steal signals since going to the Colts, this doesn't make Dungy a hypocrite at all.

Unless Mudd has broken the rules to steal signals since going to the Colts, this doesn't make Dungy a hypocrite at all.

If he knew of Mudd's practices in KC then sure it does. I'm assuming Dungy actually checks out the people he hires though you're right I'm an idiot :bricks:

If he knew of Mudd's practices in KC then sure it does. I'm assuming Dungy actually checks out the people he hires though you're right I'm an idiot :bricks:

What Mudd did in KC is not necessarily what Mudd did in Indianapolis.

i think dungy is a bad father, fwiw

What Mudd did in KC is not necessarily what Mudd did in Indianapolis.

OK, so preaching to little kids about not cheating and then employing cheaters, doesn't make you a hypocrite.

Or, working for an org that turns up the heat or blasts the sound isn't cheating either?

OK, so preaching to little kids about not cheating and then employing cheaters, doesn't make you a hypocrite.

Or, working for an org that turns up the heat or blasts the sound isn't cheating either?

1.) The Colts were cleared of any wrongdoing regarding sound and heat, so that part of your argument is baseless.

2.) I 'preach' to kids and adults about not stealing, just for one example. Does that mean that if I give a job to someone who's stolen in the past, I'm a hypocrite? Of course not. It would be called 'giving him a second chance'. We are not a nation that considers past actions definitive proof of future results.

The sad part is that most, if not all, of the people posting on this topic know this, and wouldn't think of making your argument if this weren't something that happened to their favorite football team. You, like the others, are letting fandom get in the way of common decency and common sense.

1.) The Colts were cleared of any wrongdoing regarding sound and heat, so that part of your argument is baseless.

2.) I 'preach' to kids and adults about not stealing, just for one example. Does that mean that if I give a job to someone who's stolen in the past, I'm a hypocrite? Of course not. It would be called 'giving him a second chance'. We are not a nation that considers past actions definitive proof of future results.

The sad part is that most, if not all, of the people posting on this topic know this, and wouldn't think of making your argument if this weren't something that happened to their favorite football team. You, like the others, are letting fandom get in the way of common decency and common sense.

Cleared by the NFL, right? As were the Jets for videotaping, and of course the NFL's "That's football."

You have Colts employees talking about speakers, tons of Colts fans saying it's never been so hot in the dome as it was on that cold cold day in late January.

Explain that.

As for giving someone a second chance, maybe Dungy should also take public potshots at Mudd for what he used to do. Belichick's "stealing" is also in the past.

But has Dungy shut his hypocritical mouth? No. Has he given "a second chance" as you put it?

Last edited:
Cleared by the NFL, right? As were the Jets for videotaping, and of course the NFL's "That's football."

You have Colts employees talking about speakers, tons of Colts fans saying it's never been so hot in the dome as it was on that cold cold day in late January.

Explain that.

Why should I explain it? It's already been dealt with by the league. You're claiming hypocrisy based upon nothing but hearsay. The facts are clear:

Belichick taped signals
Goodell ruled that taping against the rules
Dungy has no such 'strike' against him

As for giving someone a second chance, maybe Dungy should also take public potshots at Mudd for what he used to do. Belichick's "stealing" is also in the past.

But has Dungy shut his hypocritical mouth? No. Has he given "a second chance" as you put it?

What are you talking about with Belichick's 'stealing' being in the past? There is a press conference being given about the 'spygate' issue as we type. BB's move happened this past season, not more than a decade ago. It was possible, right up until just yesterday, that the Patriots could have gotten further punishment on the issue. Belichick has never won a Super Bowl as a head coach without doing this taping. I'm not saying the taping is why he won, and I've been defending BB on this since day 1, but Dungy's point is still valid if you consider what BB did to be cheating.

Why should I explain it? It's already been dealt with by the league. You're claiming hypocrisy based upon nothing but hearsay.

So now you're saying it wasn't proven that it was unbearably hot in the dome that day? Despite everybody's reports that it was.

The facts are clear:

Belichick taped signals
Goodell ruled that taping against the rules
Dungy has no such 'strike' against him

And what does that have to do with this thread?

What are you talking about with Belichick's 'stealing' being in the past?

You think that Belichick is still stealing signals?

The point is, Dungy is making a moral argument about cheating and referring to the Patriots as cheaters. Meanwhile, he employs people who cheated in the past, as Belichick has. If he has a moral problem, then maybe he should call out his own cheaters the way he has called out Belichick.

Also, the heat. You can't deny that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore