PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Huge offseason ahead...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Assuming Samuel comes back, I see the team's needs as being, pick by pick, in this order...

#1 WR
#2 ILB
#3 S
#4 ILB
#5 WR
#6 RB
#7 CB
#8 OLB
#9 WR
#10 S

After watching the whole season, I came to regret the botched Deion Branch negotiations. I thought Deion handled everything badly. I was on his case as much as the next guy. I thought the Patriots also botched it with the phone call they made to him. Clearly the Patriots would have paid Deion and they thought he was worth the dough.

I'm not blaming the patriots. Sometimes things just go haywire. But I'm convinced we lost the Super Bowl campaign in preseason.

So much of our trouble against Indy was the fact that their defense had absolutely NO respect for our wide receivers. They crowded the line on Brady. Same thing in the San Diego game.

We need a receiver that will put some fear in the defense, because we won't win much against 8 or 9 man lines. It's just a sign of disrespect for our offense.

I'm also not a fan of the shotgun short passing game. I like to dink and dunk as much as the next guy, but I don't like to see our running game abandoned in order to accomplish that.

That's why WR is our #1 priority. I know we have a huge huge exploitable hole at ILB, but with Rodney back next year, and a healthy defense, they may patch it up a tad. It will still be a big weakness, but not nearly as much as we're hurting at WR.

If I had to do it all over again, no way I trade Deion for a #1 draft pick.

I think most Pats fans who post here are opposed to using a #1 pick on a WR, regardless of how big a priority it be be seen as.

I don't think you need to look any further than Gaffney, the Pats picked him up mid-season off the street as a FA, and he was able to make a positive contribution. The Pats had FA LBs and DBs in for tryouts, but I don't think they signed any of the LBs as badly as we needed one, and the only DB was Mickens, and he didn't contribute nearly as much as Gaffney.

Acceptable WRs can be had fairly easily, while that is not the case for LBs and DBs.

Along with the poor track record of highly drafted WRs and simple supply and demand suggests we don't draft a WR before we draft LB and DB.

I think most Pats fans who post here are opposed to using a #1 pick on a WR, regardless of how big a priority it be be seen as.

I don't think you need to look any further than Gaffney, the Pats picked him up mid-season off the street as a FA, and he was able to make a positive contribution. The Pats had FA LBs and DBs in for tryouts, but I don't think they signed any of the LBs as badly as we needed one, and the only DB was Mickens, and he didn't contribute nearly as much as Gaffney.

Acceptable WRs can be had fairly easily, while that is not the case for LBs and DBs.

Along with the poor track record of highly drafted WRs and simple supply and demand suggests we don't draft a WR before we draft LB and DB.

I'm not advocating we draft a WR #1. I'm for best player available coupled with our needs. That's the best policy.

But make no mistake, this whole team suffers with "acceptable" wide receivers. Our WRs are the exact reason we looked so inept against the Colts and Chargers. That position is still our biggest need, and a WR that puts fear into the defense is going to have a much more dramatic impact on the patriots next season than a solid and speedy rookie linebacker. That's all I'm saying.

You know, if BB were convinced that Calvin Johnson were going to make it in the NFL, I'd be all for trading our 2 #1s for him. That's how big a whole we have at that position. It's the biggest hole on the team.

I think the only thing this team needs is a consistent running game. We showed flashes at times but when teams committed to stopping the run we could not be effective. I don't know the reason, whether its blocking or play design, play calling, adjusting calls at the line, or backs not making the right read but if we could just not get stuffed for no gain or hits in the backfield that would be progress. We need to be good enough to get 2 or 3 yards every time.

I think we have adequate depth at all positions except linebacker.

If only we could run the ball.

How can we run the ball when the opposition is putting 9 men on the line? They don't respect our receivers and that's how they get away with it. They play man against us. It's like we're sending our offense out there with one hand tied behind our back. The Miami loss proved that we couldn't run a real offense, so we resorted to a quick pitch shotgun offense that took away our running game.

You know, if BB were convinced that Calvin Johnson were going to make it in the NFL, I'd be all for trading our 2 #1s for him. That's how big a whole we have at that position. It's the biggest hole on the team.
The Patriots will not trade up in the 2007 NFL draft for a wide receiver, regardless of the name. Belichick has learned from Parcells that drafting wide receivers in the first round is a waste of a highly valued draft pick.

Do you deny the leg stomping incident by Meriweather in the Miami - Florida International brawl? Do you deny that he was suspended for one game by the university for his participation in the aforementioned brawl? Do you deny the shooting incident in which Meriweather concealed a weapon in his pants? Way too many red flags for the New England Patriots organization.

He won't make it to 24, you have to think he's a perfect fit for the Bengals.

I would like to see M Griffin and Patrick Willis drafted in the 1st. That would be a great combo if they fell to us imo. I also think BB will sign either London Fletcher or Donnie Edwards. Both of those guys can still play. It would be nice to pick up both.

The Patriots will not trade up in the 2007 NFL draft for a wide receiver, regardless of the name. Belichick has learned from Parcells that drafting wide receivers in the first round is a waste of a highly valued draft pick.

Parcells was wrong. The Patriots don't go to the Super Bowl without taking a receiver at #1 in 1996.

But if Belichick decided Calvin Johnson was a great talent, I fail to see why he'd stick to a supposed policy. Obviously he's not going to have the chance to take Johnson, so this is moot. Two #1 picks isn't even enough.

I'm not advocating we draft a WR #1. I'm for best player available coupled with our needs. That's the best policy.

But make no mistake, this whole team suffers with "acceptable" wide receivers. Our WRs are the exact reason we looked so inept against the Colts and Chargers. That position is still our biggest need, and a WR that puts fear into the defense is going to have a much more dramatic impact on the patriots next season than a solid and speedy rookie linebacker. That's all I'm saying.

I agree 100%, if Patriot fans believe that the Patriots are going to the Superbowl next year with Gaffney, Caldwell and Brown they are mistaken.

Oh Please! You are rationalizing his behavior due to your own personal biases. Fortunately, that's not how the New England Patriots front office works. It's time to take off those orange colored Hurricane glasses and look elsewhere for a potential free safety in the 2007 NFL draft.

Just curious, but does anyone really talk like this?

Draft Meriweather and he'll start shooting up the Patriots locker room because of a "lack of restraint" due to some stupid dispute.

As a UM student and someone that knows several UM players, this is simply BS.

Last edited:

WR is not our biggest need on the team, it is a position that can be upgraded but we have signed players at the position. Look at the LBs and CBs we have signed... LB is #1 priority and CB is close behind if Samuel leaves.

WR Signed Players (assumes ERFAs are extended)
- Calldwell, Chad Jackson, Gaffney, Childress, Jonathan Smith, Zuriel Smith, Kight
- not exactly the 2000 Rams but at least we could field the position.

LB Signed Players (assumes ERFAs are extended)
- only 6 players signed
- Vrabel, Colvin, Bruschi, Woods, Alexander, Mays
- this leaves 3-4 open spots and one of them must be a starter (if Tedy retires it is even a bigger hole)

CB
- 4 Hobbs, Scott, Spann, Williams
- Who they hell is Williams?
- throw out Hobbs and these guys would be the worst unit in DIV-1A let alone the NFL

I didn't want to make another thread, but I had a question? I've heard and read different cap numbers.I've read 34 million under the cap.30 million under the cap and also read 3.4 million. Does anyone know a exact figure?

No one can know the exact figure because none of us are privy to the true inner workings of the NFL.

That being said, the best guess comes from Patscap.com courtesy of Miguel. And that best guess is this
The Pats are about 24 million under the cap with 59 players either signed or assumed tendered because of their status are either restricted free agents or exclusve rights restrited free agents.

This doesn't take into consideration LTBE and NLTBE bonuses from last season that were earned or went unearned. For example, Dan Koppen and Antwan Spann has LTBE bonuses coming close to 4.9 million. Koppen's was for special teams playing time (1.957 million) and Spann's (2.913 million). If both went unearned, then that would be a credit to this year's cap. But, as we all know, the Pats like to use NLTBE bonuses as incentives to players and many of them deal with post season play. Since the Pats made the post-season, it would be my guess that there will be some NLTBE bonuses that were earned and, as such, now count as a debit on this year's cap. Hopefully, the credits equal or outweigh the debits and give the Pats plenty of room to sign players.

Do you deny the leg stomping incident by Meriweather in the Miami - Florida International brawl? Do you deny that he was suspended for one game by the university for his participation in the aforementioned brawl? Do you deny the shooting incident in which Meriweather concealed a weapon in his pants? Way too many red flags for the New England Patriots organization.

I don't deny that Merriweather was in the brawl with FIU. However, what you fail to acknowledge is that Merriweather and some team mates were the ones shot at and it was his legally licensed concealed weapon that he drew to defend himself and some teammates. The speculation is that, had he not had the gun, he and his teammates would probably have been dead.

Last edited:
I respectfully disagree on that point. Asante Samuel played like a number one cornerback this past season not Ellis Hobbs. Besides, Ellis Hobbs was benched at one point during the past season.

The only time Hobbs missed time, that I know of, was when he was injured. When was he benched?

However, what you fail to acknowledge is that Merriweather and some team mates were the ones shot at and it was his legally licensed concealed weapon that he drew to defend himself and some teammates. The speculation is that, had he not had the gu, he and his teammates would probably have been dead.
You have to ask yourself why Meriweather was shot at? You have to ask yourself why are players from the University of Miami (FL) packing guns?

Assuming Samuel comes back, I see the team's needs as being, pick by pick, in this order...

#1 WR
#2 ILB
#3 S
#4 ILB
#5 WR
#6 RB
#7 CB
#8 OLB
#9 WR
#10 S

How can you establish needs without knowing what will happen with Samuel?

After watching the whole season, I came to regret the botched Deion Branch negotiations. I thought Deion handled everything badly. I was on his case as much as the next guy. I thought the Patriots also botched it with the phone call they made to him. Clearly the Patriots would have paid Deion and they thought he was worth the dough.

How did the Pats botch the Deion Branch situation (I refuse to call them negotiations since Branch never sent a counter offer to the Pats)? What phone call to Branch are you referring to?

I'm not blaming the patriots. Sometimes things just go haywire. But I'm convinced we lost the Super Bowl campaign in preseason.

So much of our trouble against Indy was the fact that their defense had absolutely NO respect for our wide receivers. They crowded the line on Brady. Same thing in the San Diego game.

We need a receiver that will put some fear in the defense, because we won't win much against 8 or 9 man lines. It's just a sign of disrespect for our offense.

Please review the 2001,2003, 2004 rosters and please tell me which WR "put the fear" in the defense. Please don't say Deion Branch because I will laugh hysterically.

I'm also not a fan of the shotgun short passing game. I like to dink and dunk as much as the next guy, but I don't like to see our running game abandoned in order to accomplish that.

That's why WR is our #1 priority. I know we have a huge huge exploitable hole at ILB, but with Rodney back next year, and a healthy defense, they may patch it up a tad. It will still be a big weakness, but not nearly as much as we're hurting at WR.

If I had to do it all over again, no way I trade Deion for a #1 draft pick.

WOW. You really do think that teams feared Deion Branch. I guess there are firsts for everything.

You have to ask yourself why Meriweather was shot at? You have to ask yourself why are players from the University of Miami (FL) packing guns?

From the reports, it was a Random shooting, though they do live in a less than ideal part of Miami where they are paying the bills for their apartment. Sometimes people have to make do with what they can afford. Not everyone can live in a 4 br. house over-looking the ocean in Miami.

Why was he carrying a concealed weapon? Because its his right as an American Citizen to do so.

Its pretty stupid to judge someone on a situation you don't have any information on. You have no idea what the situation was that he grew up in. You made comments about someone else's bias clouding their judgement, yet it seems that you are the one who has some serious bias in this case. You've made some pretty big assumptions that you just can't support.

1) You've assumed he's a gang banger
2) You've assumed that because he has a LICENSE for a concealed weapon and has one, that he's some kind of bad person.
3) You've assumded that he was at fault for the attack on himself and his friends.

You have to ask yourself why Meriweather was shot at?

This topic was brought up in the draft forum as well....

The short answer to your question is that unfortunately, gang-drive-by-shootings are not a rare occurence in the big city, like L.A. (or Miami) for example....

How can you establish needs without knowing what will happen with Samuel?

By speculating.

How did the Pats botch the Deion Branch situation (I refuse to call them negotiations since Branch never sent a counter offer to the Pats)? What phone call to Branch are you referring to?

The one in which an unnamed Patriot player called Branch and said the Patriots would pay him what he wanted if he dumped his agent.

Please review the 2001,2003, 2004 rosters and please tell me which WR "put the fear" in the defense. Please don't say Deion Branch because I will laugh hysterically. WOW. You really do think that teams feared Deion Branch. I guess there are firsts for everything.

Drop down on the ground and start laughing. Because I have NEVER, EVER, EVER, EVER seen a team put 9 men in the box against Brady. The Jets did it, the Dolphins did it, the Colts did it. Yeremiah practically lived over Koppen that game. 9 guys in the box during the AFCCG. No QB on the planet could have moved an offense like that. The difference was lack of a threat on the outside. With Branch here, teams played their safeties back. That's undeniable. OK, maybe the Steelers didn't, but that's why Branch had a field day against them. Cladwell and Gaffney are nowhere near the threats that Branch was, not even close.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes