PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Huge offseason ahead...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Merriweather wasn't charged with anything in the gun situation. He legally owned it and used it for self defense. The melee, he should have shown better restraint but it's still a 22 year old getting caught up in a dumb moment.

Again, if this looks like it would continue I wouldn't draft him. But you have to be careful dumbing down your draft list based on an incident or two from a guy who may not be a bad guy.
Draft Meriweather and he'll start shooting up the Patriots locker room because of a "lack of restraint" due to some stupid dispute.

How many of those players made the police blotter?
Two.

Antoine Womack for assault, which caused him to be suspended from Virginia for a year.

Cedric Cobbs, for DWI and possession of marijuana.

Plus the FAs, Starks, Hawkins (originally a cb), Poole.. all 5'2, 5'3

I don't think our dbs were an issue this year, and BB seems to like smaller smaller, faster guys on the edge (period).

I agree, cst. We have more need at inside line backer than we do in the defensive backfield. I could be wrong but I swear alot of teams were running on the outside. That is, Richard Seymours' side. I really do appreciate big seys' effort but if he wasn't 80% than he was more like 75% and I think teams took advantage of that.Tomlinson sure did. So did Indy's running backs.
But Richard's going to be healthy next year. Hopefully.
We also have Rodney Harrrison coming back and hell is coming with him.
Hell coming in the form of Junior Seau, hopefully.
Hey, if Junior is going to perform like he did before he went down to injury, than I say bring him back. Our run defense was better when he was in.
We sure could have used him in the playoffs.
We'll probably fill that need through FA but I sure hope BB uses one of them picks for a guy targeted for IL. Than we can start rotating the older guys with the rookies.

I agree, cst. We have more need at inside line backer than we do in the defensive backfield. I could be wrong but I swear alot of teams were running on the outside. That is, Richard Seymours' side. I really do appreciate big seys' effort but if he wasn't 80% than he was more like 75% and I think teams took advantage of that.Tomlinson sure did. So did Indy's running backs.
But Richard's going to be healthy next year. Hopefully.
We also have Rodney Harrrison coming back and hell is coming with him.
Hell coming in the form of Junior Seau, hopefully.
Hey, if Junior is going to perform like he did before he went down to injury, than I say bring him back. Our run defense was better when he was in.
We sure could have used him in the playoffs.
We'll probably fill that need through FA but I sure hope BB uses one of them picks for a guy targeted for IL. Than we can start rotating the older guys with the rookies.

ILB is the top priority - you are right. The reason why there is a feeling that the Pats need backfield help is because we are always, always getting tons of injuries back there (04 - Law/Poole), (05 Harrison), (06 Harrison/Wilson). In reality, we have a bunch of bodies coming back and guys like Gay have shown (04 in playoffs) that they are adequate backups if the starters go down. As far as I am concerned, I want 2 first round multi-dimensional Willie McGinest/Mike Vrabel type guys (similar to their multidimensional side, not their position per se) that are in pass coverage some downs, DEs some downs and lets see the Pats let lose on some innovative sets with young talent.

Wilson should be 100% next year. (isn't is weird how he played a few downs mid-way through the season, maybe 4 weeks after being injured, and then was put on IR right after that?). I remember there being talk a long time ago about how he was a corner in college and with the departure of Law some thought he may shift back. One thing is sure, Harrison needs to be rotated out a lot more oftern (along with Bruschi and Seau if they return).

Last edited:
Height today is of vital importance for DBs both corners and safeties.
How many great cornerbacks in the NFL are over 6'-0"? Answer ....... hardly any.

Too bad we only have $30 million in cap space next year.

It'll be tough but I'm sure the front office will find a way to get better within that budget

Last edited:
I have a theory as to why DB's are smaller than WR's.

Coming out of high school and into college, and then the NFL, you have the pyramid effect.

All the players start at the bottom of the pyramid, whichis quite large.

As they go up the pyramid, it thins out, so at the top, where the point is, it ihas narrowed down to the best players.

And, with WR's getting taller and taller, each year, that leaves what is left, at a smaller height, to be DB's even if they played WR in HS, the colleges are going for the taller WR's so what's left, become DB's in college,and hence, in the NFL, what's left to be drafted, for the most part, are DBs under 6 feet tall, and in many cases, under 5'10''.

Teams want offensive players, because most subscribe to the theory, and I agree...THE BEST DEFENSE IS A GOOD OFFENSE.

Defensive backs are smaller because smaller athletes REACT faster. And there is no position that demands quicker reaction on the fly than a defender in pass coverage. DBs must back-pedal and change direction quickly. That's why Tebucky Jones never succeeded at cornerback and was mediocre at safety.

First, let me emphasize that I think that BB is, perhaps, one of the best coaches, currently, in the NFL. In fact, he might be the best. He is, without a doubt the greatest head coach, IMO, that the Patriots have ever had.....
And, I am glad he is on our side.

Now, here comes the Big BUT.......

But, things change, things evolve, players change and evolve... and the NFL has seen big changes in recent years, and a major evolvement.

And, the biggest has been in the size of the players., both height wise, and weight wise, while at the same time maintaining their speed, in fact, maybe even faster.... Conditioning, foods, equipment, and dedication are all a part of that evolvement.

While BB is, perhaps, one of the best he is, still, of the old school, and he beliueves, very deeply, in certain facets of the game and about the players, themselves.

And, as time goes on, and the game changes, and evolves, coaches like BB, who are extremely set in their ways, especially if they have been succcessful, are slow to change, and evolve with the league itself.

Some never do it.

I believ ethat BB must recognize that there has been major change in the game, in the players themselves, and that the game has gotten bigger, stronger and faster.... and that the philosophy of the small, quick defensive backs is , little by little, eroding away and morphing, if that is the correct word, into something entirely different.

The game has become an aerial assault game, with bigger and faster receivers. Even tight ends are now becoming part of that deep, fast passing type of football games.

And with that change, offensively, defenses must keep pace, and change with them, and one way is to put taller and stronger defensive backs on the other side of the line, bigger, and, at the same time, equally as fast....

And that is how I see it.

BB, as we all know, is a very stubborn coach. He has been succcessful and, IMO, because of that, believes that he can continue to do the same things he did in the past and still be successful.

In my opinion, that is wrong,
especially if he does not evolve with the rest of the league.

He may go down in history as a great football coach, but that greatness can come to a screeching halt if he does not recognize that, perhaps, he must change and adjust some of his "old school" thinking and move into the "new era" of professional football.

This is, in no way, a knock on Bill Belichick. He has been a great coach, and I am tickled pink that he is the coach of the Patriots.

That, however, does not mean that he can be even better, with change and with evolvement.

Thats how I see it. Am I right? I dont know, but it does sound logical to me.

But, so did the drafting of Ryan Leaf, several years ago, by the Chargers. :D

NEM

:rofl:

NEM the self proclaimed internet offensive guru schooling Belichick actual NFL HOF defensive genius....about evolving in the face of the new era in professional football...

:rofl:

OK, I concede that point.
I don't need a dissertation on cornerbacks especially since Ellis Hobbs and Asante Samuel were not the problem against the Indianapolis Colts. It's obvious that the Patriots need to upgrade the speed of the inside linebackers especially since the likes of Tedy Bruschi, Mike Vrabel, and even an Eric Alexander cannot cover a Dallas Clark in space. Also, the Patriots need a serious upgrade at free safety, someone with tremendous range and ball-hawking skills.

I Also, the Patriots need a serious upgrade at free safety, someone with tremendous range and ball-hawking skills.

Can you say Griffen of Texas? Used to be a CB who was moved to FS out of need...you who he reminds me of? Ty Law.

Can you say Griffen of Texas? Used to be a CB who was moved to FS out of need...you who he reminds me of? Ty Law.
I have been pushing Michael Griffen from Texas with the 28th selection of the 2007 NFL draft in another thread.

Whoa there cowboy....this is EXACTLY what you posted, and what I responded to.

OK, I concede that point.

Ijust went through the entire NFL player roster of defensive backs, and randomly checked about 15 of the familiar names. Two were 6 feet or over, Bailey and Woodson.

But, the vast majority of the good ones were 5'10" or 5"11" and even though it may not seem like it, that is a HUGE difference when compared to those that are 5'8" or 5'9"... and we have a lot of those five eights and five nines.

Now, any response to my answers?
I'm not happy either with Chad Scott and Ray Mickens but not because of size but age. At this point in his career with the New England Patriots, Eugene Wilson could be better served as a backup cornerback on the roster. Geno has not been the same player since he broke his arm in the Super Bowl. It will be interesting whether the New England Patriots will tender an offer to restricted free agent Randall Gay. Neither Wilson or Gay can be considered shrimps by your standards. Furthermore, I hope the Patriots draft a cornerback no later than the third round, since the Patriots the last two seasons end up with slew of injuries in the defensive backfield. I wish to never ever see the likes of Earthwind Moreland on the football field.

Last edited:
I do believe that we will go after an experienced DB in FA, not the draft.
I sincerely doubt it with following safeties under contract next season:

Rodney Harrison
James Sanders
Artrell Hawkins
Tebucky Jones
Mel Mitchell
Willie Andrews

Besides, none of the free agent safeties really impress me and the Patriots have already proven they can win a Super Bowl with a rookie free safety. If the New England Patriots place the franchise tag on Asante Samuel, the next highest priority in free agency is linebacker(s). As for cornerbacks, the NFL draft is by far the most cost effective avenue since experienced cornerbacks are severely overpriced on the open market.

Bailey was traded for. He and a second round pick went to the Denver Broncos for Clinton Portis.

All of the DBs drafted by BB -- name the 6-footers? :cool:

Willie Andrews
Ellis Hobbs
James Sanders
Guss Scott
Dexter Reid
Christian Morton
Eugene Wilson
Asante Samuel
Brock Williams
Hakim Akbar
Leonard Myers
Antwan Harris

Morton and Akbar were both 6 foot even, and no one eclipsed it. Come on is it that right?

Its safe to say that this is the biggest off season in recent yrs for the Pats... The biggest need is to get younger and faster in the LB and Secondary. The need for a playmaker in the passing game is a need as well. But if Bruschi retires, we need to draft or sign a lb that is able to start week 1.. The pats need to take advantage of having both Brady and Belichick in there prime, because these yrs coming up are Brady's best yrs for a QB.. By focusing on the three area's of need ,we should be fine for yrs to come..

I agree this is going to be a big off season. The only wide out i see worth signing that is a free agent as far as our offense goes, is Donte Stallworth. Besides him there really isnt a good market for the position. I sure hope our staff doesnt think Reche is a number one reciever.

Call me crazy, but I don't see a lot of holes on this team.

For us, this offseason is going to be about quality, not quantity - finding the right places to UPGRADE positions, b/c we're already a deep team as is. Our middle class is in great position.

Offense:
QB is set.
RB is set.
WR is (IMO) set. Count on Jackson being much better next season.
TE - maybe resign Graham if the price is right, otherwise, bank on the founder of Wendy's coming through
OL - probably set, maybe the right side is upgradeable, but I don't know

Defense:
DB is better off than most assume. Let Asante go, move Wilson to CB, Draft a S 1st round, plant him next to Rodney, have Sanders as backup, Hobbs is your #1 CB, and you can pick from Gay, Tebucky, Scott, Hawk & Mickens for reinforcements.
LB again is better off than we might presume, if we're all healthy and dandy in the Colts game, we win. Maybe get a guy like Jarret Johnson if Bruschi retires, bring back TBC if the price is right. Maybe bring back Seau for a similar deal as last year.
DLine is set for life.

We were any ONE play from winning our fourth Super Bowl in 6 years. We have two first round draft picks. Both of our top draft picks from last season are going to get MUCH better, especially Big Play Chad. We have 25 mill to spend and only 3 key FAs (Graham, Asante & TBC) to think about spending it on.

We are in ridiculously good shape.

Last edited:
RB is not totally set, we need another solid back up...

WR - please we need at least 2 more for Brady

CB- Never have enough

S- Again Never have enough

LB- If we dont get LB help this off season, I dont know when we will..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back