PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Huge News: Redskins trade with Rams, will have #2 pick in draft

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's a flawed way to look at it. What happens in reality is that in the next 2 drafts, when you're there you pass up 2 excellent chances to pick up a starter for your team and maybe even a ProBowl player. Obviously a year of Grossperson has made the franchise beyond desperate for a QB. I like RGIII and wish him well...in the NFC.

I guess it comes down to where the Redskins draft. If they're in the 20's every then they make out fine IMO, but if it's between 10-15 two of those years that's a different story.

FYI, the Browns also offered three #1 picks to move up two spots.

ESPN's Adam Schefter reports the Browns had recently "stepped up their efforts" to acquire the Rams' No. 2 pick, offering "at least" three first-round picks.
A source familiar with the deal tells Schefter the Browns may have even been ready to include a second-round pick, meaning they were prepared to match the Redskins' offer. They reportedly "sensed (they were) going to get the deal done" just before being informed the Rams had chosen to deal with Washington. It's unclear why the Browns lost out, but it's possible they were unwilling to include this year's No. 22 pick. Cleveland will now turn to Texas A&M's Ryan Tannehill, Oklahoma State's Brandon Weeden or perhaps free agent Matt Flynn as it looks to upgrade at quarterback

Link to mainpage since individual link isn't working

Rotoworld - Fantasy Baseball, Basketball, Football, Baseball and Hockey. Draft guide, news, projections, cheatsheets, depth charts and more.

Exactly. May have been a bit too much to give up but if RGIII has the same type of production and impact on the fan base in WAS as Cam Newton did in CAR, you make that deal in a heartbeat.

Yes, that is the point. If I was skins fan I would be stoked and would be running to buy my season tickets. AT worst RGIII will be exciting to watch.

That's a list I'd like to hear.

Stephen Jackson - stud but will drop off the cliff soon.
Chris Long.
James Lauranitis.
Robert Quinn showed potential but is way unproven.

That's about the end of the list of top players other than the iffy Bradford.

C'mon you forgot Jason Smith, LT, #2 overall pick baby....he just doesn't play like it.

C'mon you forgot Jason Smith, LT, #2 overall pick baby....he just doesn't play like it.
That's the point. Look back at their drafts, there's top ten picks but not many top players. It's not a talented team at all.

Seeing some of the interviews with him during the combine he seems like a very smart centered guy. Based on his physical skills perhaps M Vick physical ability with a good attitude, smarts and character.

He could be very good.

He's extremely likable and an easy person to root for, assuming he can play in the NFL. Smart kid with a great future regardless of NFL performance.

He's extremely likable and an easy person to root for, assuming he can play in the NFL. Smart kid with a great future regardless of NFL performance.

My guess is that R Leaf didn't interview the way this guy does. I agree if he is injured in his first game and never plays again he will be very successful.

I'm not a big college FB fan didn't see him play much, but he is exactly the type of person I would want as a team leader/face of the franchise.

The league has been on a pretty good streak of QBs drafted early in the first round that are producing well at the Pro level,it may be due for a bad bust in the early going and the Redskins better be hoping RGIII isn't that guy.

Sanchez is about the most recent QB in the past 5 years to be on the borderline of being a bust.

Last edited:
The 'first' Peyton Manning won 1 SB, why would you mortgage your future searching for a chance for the next?
Your kidding right?

Other than the Pats and Steelers which fam basse wouldn't teade their past 12 years for the ride the Colts far have gotten?

Comeon man! :singing:
The Giants.
That isnt really the point though. Its not only about the QB its about building a team. You give away 3 1s and a 2 to get a QB, and your rationalization is what if he is Manning, yet Manning only won one while being the 2nd best QB in the NFL for many of those years. Its not trying to get a good QB that is the problem, of course you want to try to get a good QB, its paying a Kings ransom and sacrifcing the team around, even if he becomes good.

There is a reason my reply started off with the word "IF" in capital letters.........
And I was explaining the IF. If something not very likely happens its a good trade is hardly an endorsement.

Knocking Mannings career is pretty dumb IMO see above.
How am I knocking him? He won 1 SB. Am I supposed to pretend he won more?

I honestly can't think of any player I've ever seen in the draft worth that much to me. I wouldn't give up that much for a 24 year old Tom Brady.
I assume you mean knowing what you know now, and if so, thats crazy talk.

Tom Brady has been the most important piece of a 12 year run that ranks as arguably the best 12 year run in NFL history, and there are less teams that you can count on one hand who would be in the argument.
What more could you get with 3 1s and a 2 than Tom Brady gave you?

But they didn't get 24 year old Tom Brady, they are taking a shot at a guy who has proven nothing.

Given the odds that any player actually turns into what you project him to be before ever playing a down in the NFL, yes its a foolhardy trade, that can only be good in hindsight, because the odds of Griffin becoming worth what was trade for him are miniscule.

They would have been better off signing flynn and keeping the draft picks... Imho

What this does tell me, is that it's a definite lock that the colts take Luck rather than trading the pick.
Because if they were looking for a kings ransom in picks to rebuild....... This was surely it... And I assume they could have had this deal (or still could get it from the browns)

Last edited:
They would have been better off signing flynn and keeping the draft picks... Imho

What this does tell me, is that it's a definite lock that the colts take Luck rather than trading the pick.
Because if they were looking for a kings ransom in picks to rebuild....... This was surely it... And I assume they could have had this deal (or still could get it from the browns)

Irsay won't have the stones but the Colts could be better off having the Browns give the same deal for pick #1. Then sign Flynn. Then draft all the best OLs and a young wideout. Or do the really unusual and trade one of their bevy of high picks for an established non-FA starter that meets a need.

Last edited:
Yes, that is the point. If I was skins fan I would be stoked and would be running to buy my season tickets. AT worst RGIII will be exciting to watch.

Once again, there is no guarantee RGIII will have as good a season as the historically good rookie yera of Cam Newton.

With all that, CAR went 6-10.

The Redskins, meanwhile, have no first round picks to help him unti l2015.

Once again, there is no guarantee RGIII will have as good a season as the historically good rookie yera of Cam Newton.

It's true, but I assume they will have all their other picks and hopefully they can do something with those. No guarantees on first rounders, the Skins themselves are practically the poster children for this adage.

I also assume they'll make a big push for VJax.

Just a note on this, though:

The Panthers were coming off of a 2 win season. The Redskins are coming off of a 5 win season.

the damn colts should have pulled off this trade....damn....what a haul.....

I thought for sure the redskins were going after a free agent qb rather than ...draft one....they still need to protect him.....I suspect they will be spending tons of money in free agency...else RGIII is going to be moving like C3P0...after all of those hits...

I honestly can't think of any player I've ever seen in the draft worth that much to me. I wouldn't give up that much for a 24 year old Tom Brady.

Ten years ago, I would have agreed with you. But the NFL has so clearly become a league where a franchise QB makes all the difference that now I completely disagree.

Three firsts and a second for a young QB who'd take you to six conference championships, five SB's and three Lombardi's? I'd do it in a heartbeat.

There's risk involved, of course, but if you're a team that hasn't been to the SB in 20 years, you probably do what the Skins did.

Let's look at the QB's of the Super Bowl teams since, well, 2001 or the last eleven years (winner listed first):

Brady**, Warner**
Johnson, Gannon
Brady**, Delhomme
Brady**, McNabb*
Roethlisberger**, M. Hasselbeck
P. Manning**, Grossman
E. Manning**, Brady**
Roethlisberger**, Warner**
Brees*, P. Manning**
Rodgers*, Roethlisberger**
E. Manning**, Brady**

I put one "*" after guys who are recognized as Franchise QB's and "**" after guys who are going to the HOF (Sorry, Eli and Ben have won two rings and so they are going; we might not like it and they might not be first ballot, but they're going.)

What this says is that of the last 22 SB slots, 14 were taken by QB's who are going to Canton and three were taken by guys who are or were on everybody's list of Franchise QB's, two of whom will probably go to Canton (Brees and Rodgers) and one of whom will be seriously considered, but probably won't. So, 17 of 22. If you think that RGIII is one of those kind of guys and you're willing to roll the dice, then it's definitely worth it.

(Each of the last 11 SB's has been won by a future HOF'er or a Franchise QB who will probably get there.)

https://twitter.com/#!/AdamSchefter/status/178331690710736897

"Adam Schefter
‏ @AdamSchefter

Trade will not change Redskins plans in pursuing Peyton Manning. Intend to talk with and try to sign him, even if considered a longshot."

I don't think the Redskins understand how football works.

Shanahan does; Synder does not. I would quit if I was Shanahan but his kid is a coordinator.

How can Synder be so stupid...again and again? Not only is he stupid but he is a litigious slimeball.

Shanahan does; Synder does not. I would quit if I was Shanahan but his kid is a coordinator.

How can Synder be so stupid...again and again? Not only is he stupid but he is a litigious slimeball.
Synder is legitimate proof that fantasy football owners all over the country cannot build a championship caliber roster.

Ten years ago, I would have agreed with you. But the NFL has so clearly become a league where a franchise QB makes all the difference that now I completely disagree.

Three firsts and a second for a young QB who'd take you to six conference championships, five SB's and three Lombardi's? I'd do it in a heartbeat.

There's risk involved, of course, but if you're a team that hasn't been to the SB in 20 years, you probably do what the Skins did.

Let's look at the QB's of the Super Bowl teams since, well, 2001 or the last eleven years (winner listed first):

Brady**, Warner**
Johnson, Gannon
Brady**, Delhomme
Brady**, McNabb*
Roethlisberger**, M. Hasselbeck
P. Manning**, Grossman
E. Manning**, Brady**
Roethlisberger**, Warner**
Brees*, P. Manning**
Rodgers*, Roethlisberger**
E. Manning**, Brady**

I put one "*" after guys who are recognized as Franchise QB's and "**" after guys who are going to the HOF (Sorry, Eli and Ben have won two rings and so they are going; we might not like it and they might not be first ballot, but they're going.)

What this says is that of the last 22 SB slots, 14 were taken by QB's who are going to Canton and three were taken by guys who are or were on everybody's list of Franchise QB's, two of whom will probably go to Canton (Brees and Rodgers) and one of whom will be seriously considered, but probably won't. So, 17 of 22. If you think that RGIII is one of those kind of guys and you're willing to roll the dice, then it's definitely worth it.

(Each of the last 11 SB's has been won by a future HOF'er or a Franchise QB who will probably get there.)

It should also be noted that of those 22 appearances
4 were by the #1 pick
5 by other first rounders
11 (fully half) were drafted in the 6th round later or not at all, or not drafted as a QB (Gannon)

So while you may have shown that, whether its the chicken or the egg, great QBs and SB berths are very common, but you haven't shown that drafting this years great QB prospect and SBs are related at all.

Last edited by a moderator:
Or RG3 could be a bust and the Rams got three top ten picks and a top 40 pick for a guy who never played a down in football.

I saw his interview w/Mooch on NFLN last week and dang he seemed promising - drew up the play Mooch drew up, didn't screw up anything but the name of the play LOL... every O in the right place.

It's too bad about this deal. Dan Snyder's seal of approval is the kiss of death.

I was in the National Press Building in 98 when there was a bomb threat at an egyptian publication's Washington bureau.

We got evacuated out of the building. Then that night on the news I saw the report on the incident...

"The package was taken to RFK Stadium," the report began, and I had to finish the sentence, "Thereby ending its career."

RIP, RGIII.

Okay seriously -- I REALLY like this kid, despite the Dan Snyder jinx.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes