PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Huge News: Redskins trade with Rams, will have #2 pick in draft

Status
Not open for further replies.
Again though, it is really two first rounders. The third is their number six pick this year which they are swapping for the number two pick. Then they gave up their second rounder this year and next year and the year after's first rounders. There may be more but there are conflicting reports on that.

Last edited:
WOW, I guess the Rams hit the jackpot, the Rams already have a ton of top ten talent on their team, they are now going to be LOADED. If Bardford pans out, they are going to be a force in the future.

RG3 has had one year in college, and not playing in an elite conference. By all accounts, he is a very smart and articulate guy, but that is a ton of picks to give up.

This changes everything, with the Jets sticking with Sanchez, it looks like Manning will go to either Denver, Arizona, or Miami. If he signs with Denver, look for the Jags to do the smart thing and trade for Jean Shorts Jesus, at the very least he will sell tickets.

Last edited:
the Rams already have a ton of top ten talent on their team
That's a list I'd like to hear.

Stephen Jackson - stud but will drop off the cliff soon.
Chris Long.
James Lauranitis.
Robert Quinn showed potential but is way unproven.

That's about the end of the list of top players other than the iffy Bradford.

The 'Skins haven't had solid, playmaking QB play since Pete Carroll was coach of the Pats.

They have had one playoff appearance over that span.

Shanahan may/may not be a good coach anymore but with a 11-22 record over the last two seasons, he needs to save his job. They are devoid of high-end talent at the skill positions- especially at QB.

I applaud them for being bold and making a big move to pump some life into the franchise.

Last edited:
we now know the skins are out of the peyton sweepstakes! Damn, rams are set!

Feel bad for Rams fans...They deserve better. Ever since 2001 they've been on a downward spiral...

Hope the Patriots dont have to endure a decade plus of mediocrity after Brady and BB.

I like RGIII and hope he succeeds but wow. Talk about putting all your eggs in one basket. The Rams have potentially just made the next Hershall Walker trade.

It turns out too that Cleveland offered up the same package at the last minute but lost out. I guess the Redskins had to pay that much and they were probably lucky it didn't turn out to be more.

I don't know anything about RG3 but I hear he's smart, fast and a character guy. What does everyone here think of him?

Seeing some of the interviews with him during the combine he seems like a very smart centered guy. Based on his physical skills perhaps M Vick physical ability with a good attitude, smarts and character.

He could be very good.

Seeing some of the interviews with him during the combine he seems like a very smart centered guy. Based on his physical skills perhaps M Vick physical ability with a good attitude, smarts and character.

He could be very good.

Yes, and beyond that, the Redskins are badly in need of the excitement factor, a reason to put butts in seats. Nobody is going to care that much about say, the Kyle Orton era, but RG3? Yeah, they'll care. At least for a bit.

I can't believe I'm arguing in the Skins favor.:bricks:

Last edited:
Redskins were fleeced.
AJs crystal ball says that the Rams just got 3 top 10 picks, Shanahan will be gone before they make the last one, and Griffin will never QB a 10 win team in his career.
Oh and by 2014 the Rams will be NCFW Champs.

Yes, and beyond that, the Redskins are badly in need of the excitement factor, a reason to put butts in seats. Nobody is going to care that much about say, the Kyle Orton era, but RG3? Yeah, they'll care. At least for a bit.

I can't believe I'm arguing in the Skins favor.:bricks:

I don't think the Redskins ever have trouble putting butts in the seats. But even if they did a highly touted rookie may help a little, but winning is what brings fans no matter who is wearing the laundry.

He could be very good.

Based on what I have read, Luck vs RGIII is a toss-up.

Redskins were fleeced.
AJs crystal ball says that the Rams just got 3 top 10 picks, Shanahan will be gone before they make the last one, and Griffin will never QB a 10 win team in his career.
Oh and by 2014 the Rams will be NCFW Champs.

IF you believe Luck and/or RG3 is the next Peyton Manning you make the trade and use the cap space to get the FA's around hiim, since you won't e spending on high draft picks. They weren't that far off last year, if they had a quality QB they would have been a pretty good team.

IF this works out the other 2 #1 picks will be in the 20's at worst.

Since the Rams believe Bradford is the real deal this is a great move by them, if the FO is smart in how they use them.

IF you believe Luck and/or RG3 is the next Peyton Manning you make the trade and use the cap space to get the FA's around hiim, since you won't e spending on high draft picks. They weren't that far off last year, if they had a quality QB they would have been a pretty good team.

Since the Rams believe Bradford is the real deal this is a great move by them, if the FO is smart in how they use them.

Exactly. May have been a bit too much to give up but if RGIII has the same type of production and impact on the fan base in WAS as Cam Newton did in CAR, you make that deal in a heartbeat.

"Weren't far off" and owning the #6 pick in the draft seems to not be consistent.
If they kept their picks they would have had just as much money to spend on Free Agency.
The 'first' Peyton Manning won 1 SB, why would you mortgage your future searching for a chance for the next?
They traded 4 quality players for the hope of maybe having a good QB sometime in the future. Using the 6th on the 6th best player in the draft, keeping the other 3 high picks and finding a QB to develop with talent around him makes more sense.
What gets shoved under the carpet every year when teams fall in love with Ryan Leaf, Akili Smith, Alex Smith, Mark Sanchez, Tim Couch, David Carr, Andre Ware, David Klinger, Rick Mirer, Matt Leinhart, Jemarcus Russell, Heath Shuler, etc, etc, etc is that if you have a coaching staff that can develop a QB you will develop the QB you end up with, and if you don't it doesn't much matter. I'm not saying they are all the same, but reaching to throw a rookie QB to the wolves rarely works out well. QBs enter the NFL with a minute portion of the mental skills and knowledge needed to be a great NFL QB. There success ends up more dependent on how well they acquire that than what physical skills they bring.
Grififn is more likely to be the 'next one on the list above' who were all looked at just as highly by teams dreaming about what could be as he is to be the next Peyton Manning and win 1 SB in his career.

Exactly. May have been a bit too much to give up but if RGIII has the same type of production and impact on the fan base in WAS as Cam Newton did in CAR, you make that deal in a heartbeat.

You think having Cam Newton over:
-Singing a FA
-Drafting the next best guy
-Drafting the best guy next year
-Developing what you have

is worth 3 1s and a 2?
Really?
How many teams would rather have Cam Newton in 2012 than the QB they have, and would give up 3 1s for that right?

Based on what I have read, Luck vs RGIII is a toss-up.

What have you been reading? Luck is widely considered the best prospect in a generation.
Before a good 2011 season Griffin wasn't even on the radar. Do we have to remind ourselves of the trackrecord of QBs who jumped way up on the strength of one good season?
That isn't in the same area code as a tossup.

CAR went 6-10 last year.

IF RGIII can match Newton's monster year...........

Last edited:
The 'first' Peyton Manning won 1 SB, why would you mortgage your future searching for a chance for the next?
Your kidding right?

Other than the Pats and Steelers which fam basse wouldn't teade their past 12 years for the ride the Colts far have gotten?

Comeon man! :singing:

What gets shoved under the carpet every year when teams fall in love with Ryan Leaf, Akili Smith, Alex Smith, Mark Sanchez, Tim Couch, David Carr, Andre Ware, David Klinger, Rick Mirer, Matt Leinhart, Jemarcus Russell, Heath Shuler, etc, etc, etc is that if you have a coaching staff that can develop a QB you will develop the QB you end up with, and if you don't it doesn't much matter.

Grififn is more likely to be the 'next one on the list above' who were all looked at just as highly by teams dreaming about what could be as he is to be the next Peyton Manning and win 1 SB in his career.

There is a reason my reply started off with the word "IF" in capital letters.........

Knocking Mannings career is pretty dumb IMO see above.

CAR went 6-10 last year.

IF RGIII can match Newton's monster year...........
Carolina went from 196 points scored to 406. I'd say that's a significant difference.

I honestly can't think of any player I've ever seen in the draft worth that much to me. I wouldn't give up that much for a 24 year old Tom Brady.

I would, easily. 3 1sts and a 2nd on average equates to maybe 2 solid players at best given the % of draft picks that pan out. Brady was easily worth that.

That said, no single draft pick is worth that much. Unless we're talking about a Lebron James/Tim Duncan/Sidney Crosby type sure thing which does not exist in this draft IMO. And for a #2, even worse.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back