PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Huge News: Redskins trade with Rams, will have #2 pick in draft

Status
Not open for further replies.
If they draft well in the late rounds, they could surround RG3 with some talent and get this team going... assuming RG3 is the real deal.
A few weeks ago Washington had the 6th most cap room, around $40M. That may have changed a little but they can surround him with talent without having to draft well. I'm guessing Vincent Jackson will get a huge offer on Tuesday.

NFL defense will be better next year i dont see any rookie QB haveing a Cam Newton type year hell i dont think Newton will have the same type of year, if washington gets a young mike vick type guy in RG3 then they could be a playoff team in a year or two but if he cant pick a NFL offense or read NFL defenses then they give up 4 high Draft picks for a average WR/RB

George Allen use to love to trade away draft picks when he was
with the Redskins.

Except he use to trade them for Veterans.

Remember the Over the Hill Gang?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Over-the-Hill_Gang_(American_football)

The Over-the-Hill Gang was the George Allen-coached Washington Redskins team of the early 1970s, so named due to the large number of veteran players on the team. Many of those players also played for Allen when he coached the Los Angeles Rams from 1966-1970.

The start of the Over-the-Hill Gang was the 1971 NFL Draft. Of the Redskins first five picks that year, they only used one, deciding to trade the rest. Allen had decided to build his team with experienced players who "did not have to mold to the NFL game". One of these trades was for Billy Kilmer, a quarterback that had been playing for the New Orleans Saints. As a starter for the Redskins, Kilmer threw for 3,869 yards and 32 touchdown passes. More importantly, he led the Redskins to back-to-back playoff appearances and became the first Redskins quarterback to start a Super Bowl.

This, however, was not the most important event in the '71 Draft that led to the creation of the gang. Allen later dealt seven draft choices (including the first- and third-round picks in 1971) as well as linebacker Marlin McKeever to his former team, the Rams. In exchange, the Redskins received linebackers Jack Pardee, Myron Pottios and Maxie Baughan, defensive tackle Diron Talbert, guard John Wilbur and special teams player Jeff Jordan. These players soon became a large part of the Over-the-Hill Gang defense. The Redskins also picked up Boyd Dowler, an eleven-year veteran with the Green Bay Packers, who won five championships as a Packer. He would later pick up strong safety Richie Petitbon (again from the Rams) and defensive tackle Ron McDole from the Buffalo Bills. The average age of starters was 31 years old. However, Allen's strategy turned the Redskins around as the team improved to a 9-4-1 record in 1971, and finished the 1972 season with an NFC-best 11-3 record. The retooled Redskins' nine victories in 1971 was the most by a Washington team in 29 years. In his seven seasons with the club, Allen and his veterans produced seven winning records, five playoff appearances, and one trip to the Super Bowl.

Being a Rams fan in St. Louis, this is an effing awesome trade!!!!! :D:D

The only way this may turn bad for the Rams is if they get busts on these picks (like their O-line / Cb picks the past few years)

Typical Snyder. That's what the Redskins have been saying over a decade now.

So let me get this straight moving up 4 spots in the 1st round is worth 2 1st rounders, a 2nd rounder and a 5th????

Yeah, not quite. Moving up 4 spots to acquire a player who could be a franchise-changing quarterback is worth that. (at least to the team acquiring him)

We're not talking about them moving up from 27 to 23 in order to get a slightly better safety. We're talking about moving up to #2 in order to get a QB with the potential to be a dominant player for years.

I still think it's too much to pay, but if RG3 pans out, they won't likely regret it.

It's hilarious watching the poor lemmings over at Extremeskins.com do their old GroundHog day act. They're ecstatic.
Ecstatic to give up that much for the number two pick.
What would the number one be worth, I wonder?

Look, everyone is saying Luck is such a sure thing and I have my doubts about that but I have even more doubts about RG3. I remember when Heath Shuler was supposed to be a can't miss!

Wow this is MADNESS...

Yeah, not quite. Moving up 4 spots to acquire a player who could be a franchise-changing quarterback is worth that. (at least to the team acquiring him)

We're not talking about them moving up from 27 to 23 in order to get a slightly better safety. We're talking about moving up to #2 in order to get a QB with the potential to be a dominant player for years.

I still think it's too much to pay, but if RG3 pans out, they won't likely regret it.

It turns out too that Cleveland offered up the same package at the last minute but lost out. I guess the Redskins had to pay that much and they were probably lucky it didn't turn out to be more.

I don't know anything about RG3 but I hear he's smart, fast and a character guy. What does everyone here think of him?

It turns out too that Cleveland offered up the same package at the last minute but lost out. I guess the Redskins had to pay that much and they were probably lucky it didn't turn out to be more.

I don't know anything about RG3 but I hear he's smart, fast and a character guy. What does everyone here think of him?

I think he'll be a hit. He's wise beyond his years and is very talented and atheletic. In what little I've seen of him, when he's evading pressure, he keeps his eyes downfield. Few NFL QBs can do that.

I think he'll be a hit. He's wise beyond his years and is very talented and atheletic. In what little I've seen of him, when he's evading pressure, he keeps his eyes downfield. Few NFL QBs can do that.

He is in trouble in DC.

That team has no more 1st round pick until 2015.

They're two best players on the offense last season bailed on the team in the heat of the season to toke up.

A great rookie at QB and $40 million in cap room won't be able to bail out that sinking ship.

A great rookie at QB and $40 million in cap room won't be able to bail out that sinking ship.

It'll probably take more than a year, but I think it's a good start. Either way, they paid way too much for him.

Wow. That's quite a gamble that the Redskins are making, but in all honesty, I really hope it works out for the Redskins. Their fans have put up with a lot of sh!tty teams and seasons and for all the stupid moves made by Snyder he really is trying to improve the product. Besides, I'd like to see Griffin turn out to be the better QB and watch Indy flounder into irrelevance for the next ten years with the Jets.:D

No franchise QB... no hope... that's what poor Redskin fans have had to endure for 20 long years!! A couple picks are a small price to pay. Franchise QBs don't grow on trees, after all. You can't put a price tag on hope!

Redskins did a great job drafting in the lower rounds last year. They've built up the best defense in their division and have two solid RBs. add in RG3 and a new WR, and they look like the favorites to win. The NFC East is gonna be rockin' next season

Talk about a bounty in the NFL!

For losing that one last game, they earned a huge reward. They wouldn't take RGIII anyway, but he happened to be there.

You can rebuild a team quickly with that bounty. High pick this year, two Two's, then two One's the next two years. Tremendous deal for St Louis.

I don't think it's that bad of a deal for the Redskins. Yes, it's only four spots but you're looking RGIII versus ??? I don't know Quniton Couples? That's a big diference. Plus, a 1st round next year is similar in value to a 2nd rounder this year, and 1st rounder in 2014 is almost like a 3rd rounder this year. In another words that's a long time to wait for those draft picks.

That's a flawed way to look at it. What happens in reality is that in the next 2 drafts, when you're there you pass up 2 excellent chances to pick up a starter for your team and maybe even a ProBowl player. Obviously a year of Grossperson has made the franchise beyond desperate for a QB. I like RGIII and wish him well...in the NFC.

Their offensive line isn't exactly solid though. I have heard RG3 is good at running, which....he better be.

I will tell you guys one thing, and this is constant and consistent in my life, another NFL moment where I sit back and enjoy overwhelming comfort in my being a fan of the New England Patriots.

Talk about a bounty in the NFL!

For losing that one last game, they earned a huge reward. They wouldn't take RGIII anyway, but he happened to be there.
That's the main point, that they sucked at the right time and got lucky.

I still claim the headline trade is bigger than the real one.

Compared to the trade with the Browns of 4&22 for 2, I claim it's equivalent to adding less than the Browns #2 this year.

2012 #2
2013 #1
2014 #1

take the Browns #22. The Patriots have shown you can trade that pick for a 2012 #2 and 2013 #1. You have to find the right team but that's a trade that is made every other year or so in the draft. So I cancel those deal out as equivalent to the Browns second #1 this year.

That leaves the 2014 #1. The Browns have a high #2, I have no doubt they could get a 2013 #1 for it let alone a 2014 #1. So I like that #2 this year more than the 2014 #1.

Therefore I think this is less than had the Browns offered their two #1 and #2 this year. Again, it's a great haul for a team that got lucky when they sucked but it's not quite the crazy trade some think it is.

At the end of the day it will come down to to things :

1) How do the Redskins do. If the #1s end up high the Rams look great. If they're 20 or lower then it's still a convenient trade the Rams lucked into but not a coup.

2) How good is Bradford. Two years, bad play. 74.2 QB rating. There's extenuating circumstances - bad OL, mediocre WR, two OC, etc. But Bradford hasn't played well and has had trouble staying healthy in college and the NFL. This gets the Rams nowhere if Bradford is Kyle Orton.

It does make me feel a bit better about competitive drive in the NFL for the bottom feeder teams. If the Redskins had just thrown their games, they could have been in the running for RG without losing the future. They did at least try to win against their own interests.

How many games did the Rams win again?

Holy smokes, 3 first rounders / 1 second and more :eek::eek::eek:

Fischer strikes gold in St Louis. way to go Snyder :rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes