PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

How the MVP is determined

Status
Not open for further replies.

lightningbolt

On the Game Day Roster
Reaction score
We all know that quarterbacks get special consideration whenever the award is given. A RB has to have a crazy season like 2000+ yards or smashing the TD record like LT and Shaun Alexander did a few years back in order to get the award. Defensive players almost never get it. Whatever though, I can live with that sort of discrimination because the QB position is the most important in determining a team's success.

But even among quarterbacks there is a high level of discrimination involved. Peyton Manning seems to get the award no matter what kind of season he has; they just look for any excuse to give it to him. Last year is a good example as he didn't have the best stats for a QB but they gave it to him anyways because his team was undefeated for 14 weeks. However, Brees' team was also undefeated for 13 games and he had better stats than Manning but he wasn't given the award.

Those voting were nervous up until the Saints lost their first game because they might actually have to give the award to a quarterback other than Peyton Manning; but the Saints losing one more game than the Colts gave them a convenient excuse to avoid giving it to Drew Brees.

In my opinion, records shouldn't even be that big of a factor in determining who gets the award since it goes to an individual not a team. A teams record is determined by all of their players as well as coaching, not by a single player. The fact that the Colts were undefeated had more to do with their having a great team overall, and not solely because of Peyton Manning.

I bet Tom Brady would be the first to give credit to the talent around him for why he did so well in the 07 season when he got the TD record and led his team to 18-0. His best season was probably the 06 season because he put up impressive stats and led his team to the AFC championship game with Reche Caldwell as his main receiver. Yet with Brady's stellar play he's only gotten the award once.

This year they'll probably give it to Manning again even though Philip Rivers is tearing it up every week with a bunch of nobodies for his receivers since his main targets are either injured or suspended; he hasn't had his main receiver Vincent Jackson all season, Floyd has been injured for several weeks and Gates was injured last week and Rivers still got it done without those three as well as Legadu Nanee who is his 4th target.

While leading the league in touchdowns and yards per attempt, Rivers is on track to break Dan Marino's single season passing yard record. He's on track to get 5233 yards this season which would smash Marino's record of 5084. He's doing it with sub-par receivers and poor play by the Charger runningbacks as well as a special teams that's on track to be the worst in NFL history. So far the chargers have as many blocked punts as the rest of the league combined.

How is it Rivers' fault that we are 4-5 considering that all of our losses so far are due to our horrible special teams? If the Chargers make the playoffs wouldn't that prove that he should be the MVP because he got them there with very little help and he will probably go on to break the single season passing yards record. But, they're probably already written Peyton Manning's name on the trophy; they're just waiting for the season to end so they can give him another one.

Last edited:
Very good points.

I'm still baffled as to how Manning was named MVP over Brees last year. In fact I would have had Chris Johnson 2nd and Manning no better than 3rd.

There's a lot of football left to be played, but in my opinion Rivers is the league's MVP at this point. Unfortunately voters seem to eliminate any player that is not on a playoff team, even though this is an individual award. The only player to be named MVP and not make the playoffs was Simpson when he did what was considered impossible at that time, run for 2,000 yards in a (14 game) season.

I think the Chargers have a very good chance of winning the AFCW but if they don't Rivers will probably end up becoming just another footnote of players that were the league's best that year but did not win the MVP.

We all know that quarterbacks get special consideration whenever the award is given. A RB has to have a crazy season like 2000+ yards or smashing the TD record like LT and Shaun Alexander did a few years back in order to get the award. Defensive players almost never get it. Whatever though, I can live with that sort of discrimination because the QB position is the most important in determining a team's success.

But even among quarterbacks there is a high level of discrimination involved. Peyton Manning seems to get the award no matter what kind of season he has; they just look for any excuse to give it to him. Last year is a good example as he didn't have the best stats for a QB but they gave it to him anyways because his team was undefeated for 14 weeks. However, Brees' team was also undefeated for 13 games and he had better stats than Manning but he wasn't given the award.

Those voting were nervous up until the Saints lost their first game because they might actually have to give the award to a quarterback other than Peyton Manning; but the Saints losing one more game than the Colts gave them a convenient excuse to avoid giving it to Drew Brees.

In my opinion, records shouldn't even be that big of a factor in determining who gets the award since it goes to an individual not a team. A teams record is determined by all of their players as well as coaching, not by a single player. The fact that the Colts were undefeated had more to do with their having a great team overall, and not solely because of Peyton Manning.

I bet Tom Brady would be the first to give credit to the talent around him for why he did so well in the 07 season when he got the TD record and led his team to 18-0. His best season was probably the 06 season because he put up impressive stats and led his team to the AFC championship game with Reche Caldwell as his main receiver. Yet with Brady's stellar play he's only gotten the award once.

This year they'll probably give it to Manning again even though Philip Rivers is tearing it up every week with a bunch of nobodies for his receivers since his main targets are either injured or suspended; he hasn't had his main receiver Vincent Jackson all season, Floyd has been injured for several weeks and Gates was injured last week and Rivers still got it done without those three as well as Legadu Nanee who is his 4th target.

While leading the league in touchdowns and yards per attempt, Rivers is on track to break Dan Marino's single season passing yard record. He's on track to get 5233 yards this season which would smash Marino's record of 5084. He's doing it with sub-par receivers and poor play by the Charger runningbacks as well as a special teams that's on track to be the worst in NFL history. So far the chargers have as many blocked punts as the rest of the league combined.

How is it Rivers' fault that we are 4-5 considering that all of our losses so far are due to our horrible special teams? If the Chargers make the playoffs wouldn't that prove that he should be the MVP because he got them there with very little help and he will probably go on to break the single season passing yards record. But, they're probably already written Peyton Manning's name on the trophy; they're just waiting for the season to end so they can give him another one.

I feel your pain. In my mind, the award is Philip Rivers' to lose. if SD makes the postseason its unquestionable.

I love how Brady can play a whole season with Reche Caldwell/Doug Gabriel/Jabar Gaffney and go to the AFCCG. Yet when Manning has to throw to Wayne/Garcon/Collie he's "making his receivers great." Reggie Wayne is one of the best receivers in the NFL, and Garcon is more dangerous than any receiver NE or SD has playing right now.

I don't think Ajirotutu is just any guy though. I thought he was going to be a player when he was in college, and I stand by that. ;)

I feel your pain. In my mind, the award is Philip Rivers' to lose. if SD makes the postseason its unquestionable.

I love how Brady can play a whole season with Reche Caldwell/Doug Gabriel/Jabar Gaffney and go to the AFCCG. Yet when Manning has to throw to Wayne/Garcon/Collie he's "making his receivers great." Reggie Wayne is one of the best receivers in the NFL, and Garcon is more dangerous than any receiver NE or SD has playing right now.

Yup, I totally agree. That's why I've always said that Brady is a better QB than Manning because he's been getting it done with sub-par receivers for most of his career; all 3 super bowls were achieved with receivers that were far below the talent level that Peyton Manning has had to work with his entire career. Brady also doesn't choke in the postseason like Manning does every year.

It will be interesting to see how they spin it if the Chargers make the playoffs and Rivers still doesn't get the MVP. "Well Peyton Manning has overcome so much this season! We'll give him an MVP to help him get over his bruised feelings from losing in the super bowl to the Saints."

I don't think Ajirotutu is just any guy though. I thought he was going to be a player when he was in college, and I stand by that. ;)

A lot of people have been saying that. I didn't even know who he was before they put him in the game last week. He certainly seems to be one of those hidden talents that get overlooked in the draft but play stellar when they get their chance. Antonio Gates was also never drafted as he played basketball in college but the Chargers luckily signed him and have benefited from his talents ever since. Hopefully Ajirotutu keeps up his stellar play because we will soon be getting back Vincent Jackson, Malcolm Floyd, and Antonio Gates and when that happens we will definitely be a force to be reckoned with on offense. Rivers will go from having very little to work with right now to having one of the most dangerous receiving corps in the league.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
Back