• Yes, but he did nothing for his legacy

• No, but he did not damage his legacy

• No, he damaged his legacy

Results are only viewable after voting.

crawhammer

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Firstly let's recap what Brady accomplished in 2022...

Regular Season:
20th division title (all-time record)
733 pass attempts (all-time record)
490 pass completions (all-time record)
4 comeback wins... set the all-time record (46) passing Peyton Manning (43)
5 game-winning drives... set the all-time record (58) passing Peyton Manning (54)
Increased all-time passing yards record... 89,214 over 80,358 (Brees) and 71,838 (Manning)
Increased all-time TD record... 649 over 571 (Brees) and 539 (Manning)
Remains 10th all-time in passer rating at 97.2
Remains outside the top 20 in all-time INTs

Postseason:
Increased all-time passing yards record... 13,400 over 7339 (Manning) and 5972 (Roethlisberger)
Increased all-time TD record... 88 over 45 (Montana) and 45 (Rodgers)

My answer is Yes, he enhanced his legacy. Passing Peyton Manning in all-time comeback wins and game-winning drives enhanced Brady's legacy and alone made the the season worth it. 20 division titles is a nice round number too. He'll also need those additional yards and TD totals to fend off the likes of Mahomes, Burrow and Herbert.

I'm not sure.
He went through a lot off the field

If he retired right now he doesn’t go into the HoF in the same class as Ben Roethlisberger in front of a crowd of 95% Steelers fans so yes it was worth it if only for that.

I'm not sure.
He went through a lot off the field
I'm completely leaving that to the side. Just sticking with on-field accomplishments and NFL legacy.

If he retired right now he doesn’t go into the HoF in the same class as Ben Roethlisberger in front of a crowd of 95% Steelers fans so yes it was worth it if only for that.
Whenever Brady retires the NFL should wave the waiting period and make him immediately eligible for the Hall of Fame. He's the greatest player in the history of the league.

I'm completely leaving that to the side. Just sticking with on-field accomplishments and NFL legacy.
Oh then for him it wasn't worth it.
At this point of his career I think anything short of a Superbowl is a failure for him.
For us fans in my opinion the season was just a dud

Oh then for him it wasn't worth it.
At this point of his career I think anything short of a Superbowl is a failure for him.
For us fans in my opinion the season was just a dud

He won another division title that’s all anyone will remember in the long list of stats.

No matter how the season ended "enhanced his legacy" is the only right answer here IMO. The dude is 45 years old.

No matter how the season ended "enhanced his legacy" is the only right answer here IMO. The dude is 45 years old.

No one remembers or cares what stats Gordie Howe had in his age 50 season. People only remember that he played that long and it adds to the legend.

• Agree
Reactions: sb1
No one remembers or cares what stats Gordie Howe had in his age 50 season. People only remember that he played that long and it adds to the legend.
Do you think Brady is crazy enough to try and get to 50?

Hee loves football yes it was worth it

I don't think so.

Here's how I see the last few years:

2020 season (won SB): enhanced his legacy; 2021 season (lost in Championship round): did not damage his legacy so not a failure; 2022 (lost WC weekend): did damage his legacy, was a failure.

2021 he was a part of a quite functional offense, had a nice comeback in the Championship round (although it was necessary because he threw a pick), ended up losing a close game. No shame in that.

2022 barely won conference by one game in a weak division with soft opponents, record below .500, his play was clearly in decline, he was not on the same page as many of the same players he had last season, probably should have retired last year while he was still on top.

He won another division title that’s all anyone will remember in the long list of stats.
Sure, if "anyone" means you only ask people who don't watch the games.

Some of the people who do watch the games will remember the guy who thought he was throwing the ball out of the end zone but instead threw it to the other team.

The idea that this season “Damaged his legacy” is objectively incorrect, are you serious?

I swear to Christ, what is this obsession with going out on top? Who does that? All time great athletes don’t retire on top, they retire when they can’t do it anymore whether it’s physically or emotionally. John Elway is maybe one exception. Tell me, which elite Boston athlete went out on top? Any of the greats, name one.

Zero all time great Red Sox players retired on top. Bill Russell for the Celtics is an example literally 50 years ago. Zero Bruins though I suppose Bergeron has a chance this year. Zero Patriots unless you consider idk, Rob Ninkovich as an all time great.

Imagine if Manning had lost to the Steelers in the 2015 divisional round like he almost did. He’d have likely still retired after an absolutely putrid season and you’d have people say he should have retired as a Colt in 2012 instead of that. But he lucks into a few wins and “goes out on top” despite being terrible.

Last edited:
Brady played several years before the rules changed to make passing easier, so every year he puts in adds to his legacy because it makes his numbers more difficult to reach. I hope he hits 100,000 regular season passing yards.

2022 barely won conference by one game in a weak division with soft opponents, record below .500, his play was clearly in decline, he was not on the same page as many of the same players he had last season, probably should have retired last year while he was still on top.
Seems like you're more critiquing his 2022 season in a vacuum rather than looking bigger picture (career legacy). When Mahomes finishes his career with 640 TDs no one is going to say, Well Brady only got to 649 because he played that final season "in decline" so really Mahomes is the all-time leader in TDs.

Brady also set the record for 4th quarter comebacks and game-winning drives. Those are major career marks. And he's managed to knock Peyton Manning from the top spot of any major statistical category.

Regarding this season, I think you'd have a hard time truly justifying the characterization of Brady being "clearly in decline." Peyton Manning's 2015 was a true example of an all-time great quarterback being clearly in decline.

Brady played several years before the rules changed to make passing easier, so every year he puts in adds to his legacy because it makes his numbers more difficult to reach. I hope he hits 100,000 regular season passing yards.
A pet peeve of mine not related to Brady directly: no one mentions 17 games instead of 16 or even 14 years ago, they just say things like "he had a thousand yard season" and leave it at that, as if having an extra game or three to achieve it doesn't matter.

Then, yeah, add in all the extra points due to the penalties awarded for just falling onto a quarterback and it all ends up mattering a lot. Now the OLs can hold as long as it's inside the pads. It all adds up.

Because the Broncos won the Super Bowl most people seem to incorrectly recall that Peyton was merely in decline or below average. No, he was bad.
1674068864685.jpeg

That’s embarrassing.

Meanwhile here’s Brady this season:

1674069093033.jpeg

Not the same.

For context here’s Brady’s 2019 season:

1674069281699.jpeg

Was he done then?

How about 2013?

1674069412651.jpeg

Wow he’s done, retire already.

Last edited:
I swear to Christ, what is this obsession with going out on top? Who does that? All time great athletes don’t retire on top, they retire when they can’t do it anymore whether it’s physically or emotionally. John Elway is maybe one exception. Tell me, which elite Boston athlete went out on top? Any of the greats, name one.
Even Elway was noticeably diminished by his final season. Terrell Davis surpassed 2000 rushing yards that season and Denver had the 26th ranking passing offense. Elway's mobility and rushing ability completely abandoned him in his final season too. He did finally have a decent Super Bowl in his 5th appearance but overall he played poorly in the Super Bowls (3 passing TDs, 8 INTs, 59.3 passer rating... although he did add 4 rushing TDs).

Was 2022 worth it for Brady?
No.
His marriage broke up over his 2022 decisions. His family forever affected post career.
And for what? Playing for an incompetent coaching staff that could not motivate & get the best from player talent and absolutely could not game plan.
Even his chemistry with the skill players went sour, notably with Evans except for what, one game?
Did it look to you that Tom was enjoying the games this season? Not to me..

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Back