PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

How optimistic are you feeling?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RelocatedPatFan

Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract
Reaction score
The Patriots are 3-0 with 2 victories within the division. The Bills aren’t looking like a team ready to compete in the AFCE, Manuel and the Jets look better than expected, but we were expecting a team that could compete for the top draft pick next year. The dolphins are 3-0 as well and have a solid to good defense and might have enough on offense to make trouble for defenses. We’ll have to wait for week 8 until we see a head to head match-up and that feels like a good time for both teams to come together. Right now I feel that schedule favors the Patriots as they made need more time.

What’s optimistic
Our Rookie receivers seemed good during the preseason with signs of chemistry. That was against vanilla-like defense and the regular game vs. the Bill seemed to be a step back from our expectations. I imagine the live reps with film study are allowing the WRs to make progressive. This seems very very positive as we have receivers that can learn on the fly. Why does it seem that highly rated or veteran receivers seem to have issues with our system (with the exception of Randy Moss)? It’s like the good looking girls in high school that never seem to develop that sense to flirtation and get by on their looks alone. Then find themselves behind the curve when they get to college and have to develop new skills whereas the plain-janes who are better looking than they were lead to believe seem to be fun to hang out with and you can connect with them (our UDFAs/receivers without much expectations)

Defense. This is the first year in some time that we seem to have a defense that can go out and help the offense win a game. We’ve been opportunistic in the past (great takeaway stat), but have been unable to get off the field on 3rd downs and give up long drives. This seemed to wear our team down towards the end of the game and they couldn’t stop their shadow later in game (overly generalize, but you all know that gut wrenching feeling when other teams could make a final drive to win the game…no confidence). Granted we haven’t played any real offensive teams and have a somewhat limping Atlanta team coming to town. But, you get a sense that this defense can play the game and win (well until they get creamed and all the bandwagoners see the sky is falling and the emperor has no hoodie).

Team offense We still haven’t found our identity and it will be a work in progress for a few weeks. Can you imagine this team getting Gronk back to form and Vereen coming back. I’m not putting much faith in Amendola, but he will be an asset to the team when he’s healthy & on the field. The team can come together for the final stretch. And by that, I mean they will compete for the best offense in football for the back half of the season.

Mild concerns
Running Game. It feels blasphemous to mention it because our running game seems to be real solid and a strength of the team. I see our game and feel the average gain is down. We’ve been able to rip off some huge runs and I think teams will have to respect that, but our average outside of those few plays seems to be lacking. While, that may seem true for all teams (take away their big plays and the average goes down), I was expecting more consistency with the RRBC. Maybe it will get better when/if Ridley gets out of the doghouse. He really needs to earn back the featured back role (until Vereen can resume his role). The B team (see that double meaning) of Boldin/Blount just don’t convince me enough. Their best use to me is as a battering ram and to keep Ridley fresh.

What’s on my nerves
EDIT: Discussions where people are saying that Brady is looking old. Brady looks like Brady. How is it that Peyton could be having the greatest season ever and be 1 year older than Brady with more wear and tear on his body and out guy is looking old. Let’s just agree to leave this decision until the bye week.

EDIT: Once again, I object to people saying Brady looks old. He's perfectly fine.

Overly critical of Brady’s play I haven’t seen a real pattern develop (though it is only 3 weeks) to say there’s something wrong with him. Seems this team gets complained about by every bad play rather than the good plays. Maybe it has to do with the Red Sox playing great and all that media angst has to be directed somewhere. You would think TB is the second coming of Tony Eason the way he’s getting treated.

Speaking of Peyton. The lovefest for PM will make me want to avoid all forms of media if they go 7-0. And even if they lose it will definitely be someone else’s fault. My eyes are telling me that their offense is firing on all cylinders and while they may not get the deep ball too often, it’s an offense that can score. If the unimaginable should happen and the Bronco’s get to the SB, the media frenzy would be whipped up to such a frenzy that it will be Peyton and Montana as the best 2 QBs to play the game…ever. And that’s before he even plays the game. Brady will be discarded for having a near .500 average since starting his playoffs 10-0 and as a QB who has fallen off his prime. It’s laughable, but you know it would come down to that.

What’s on my mind
At what point do you think we’ll have the identity of this team? I think it will come later in the season. Certainly after week 8 vs Miami and by week 12 (vs Denver). That’s mostly offensively. The Defense should get it’s pace over the next 3 weeks with Atlanta/Cincy & New Orleans.

Where’s all the people saying how Kaepernik can’t be stopped?

Washington, Green Gay, San Fran and Giants. Parity at work. Though, I’d be concerned about a 9-7 Giants team that enters the playoff picture…no idea why I would be.

Chiefs & Cincinnati I like the way this is turning out. I even like the fact that the dolphins are 3-0 and can offer a challenge. About time we got some competition

anyone else love that commercial with Harbaugh coaching the kids?

The Patriots are 3-0 with 2 victories within the division. The Bills aren’t looking like a team ready to compete in the AFCE, Manuel and the Jets look better than expected, but we were expecting a team that could compete for the top draft pick next year. The dolphins are 3-0 as well and have a solid to good defense and might have enough on offense to make trouble for defenses. We’ll have to wait for week 8 until we see a head to head match-up and that feels like a good time for both teams to come together. Right now I feel that schedule favors the Patriots as they made need more time.

What’s optimistic
Our Rookie receivers seemed good during the preseason with signs of chemistry. That was against vanilla-like defense and the regular game vs. the Bill seemed to be a step back from our expectations. I imagine the live reps with film study are allowing the WRs to make progressive. This seems very very positive as we have receivers that can learn on the fly. Why does it seem that highly rated or veteran receivers seem to have issues with our system (with the exception of Randy Moss)? It’s like the good looking girls in high school that never seem to develop that sense to flirtation and get by on their looks alone. Then find themselves behind the curve when they get to college and have to develop new skills whereas the plain-janes who are better looking than they were lead to believe seem to be fun to hang out with and you can connect with them (our UDFAs/receivers without much expectations)

Defense. This is the first year in some time that we seem to have a defense that can go out and help the offense win a game. We’ve been opportunistic in the past (great takeaway stat), but have been unable to get off the field on 3rd downs and give up long drives. This seemed to wear our team down towards the end of the game and they couldn’t stop their shadow later in game (overly generalize, but you all know that gut wrenching feeling when other teams could make a final drive to win the game…no confidence). Granted we haven’t played any real offensive teams and have a somewhat limping Atlanta team coming to town. But, you get a sense that this defense can play the game and win (well until they get creamed and all the bandwagoners see the sky is falling and the emperor has no hoodie).

Team offense We still haven’t found our identity and it will be a work in progress for a few weeks. Can you imagine this team getting Gronk back to form and Vereen coming back. I’m not putting much faith in Amendola, but he will be an asset to the team when he’s healthy & on the field. The team can come together for the final stretch. And by that, I mean they will compete for the best offense in football for the back half of the season.

Mild concerns
Running Game. It feels blasphemous to mention it because our running game seems to be real solid and a strength of the team. I see our game and feel the average gain is down. We’ve been able to rip off some huge runs and I think teams will have to respect that, but our average outside of those few plays seems to be lacking. While, that may seem true for all teams (take away their big plays and the average goes down), I was expecting more consistency with the RRBC. Maybe it will get better when/if Ridley gets out of the doghouse. He really needs to earn back the featured back role (until Vereen can resume his role). The B team (see that double meaning) of Boldin/Blount just don’t convince me enough. Their best use to me is as a battering ram and to keep Ridley fresh.

What’s on my nerves
Brady is looking old. Brady looks like Brady. How is it that Peyton could be having the greatest season ever and be 1 year older than Brady with more wear and tear on his body and out guy is looking old. Let’s just agree to leave this decision until the bye week.

Overly critical of Brady’s play I haven’t seen a real pattern develop (though it is only 3 weeks) to say there’s something wrong with him. Seems this team gets complained about by every bad play rather than the good plays. Maybe it has to do with the Red Sox playing great and all that media angst has to be directed somewhere. You would think TB is the second coming of Tony Eason the way he’s getting treated.

Speaking of Peyton. The lovefest for PM will make me want to avoid all forms of media if they go 7-0. And even if they lose it will definitely be someone else’s fault. My eyes are telling me that their offense is firing on all cylinders and while they may not get the deep ball too often, it’s an offense that can score. If the unimaginable should happen and the Bronco’s get to the SB, the media frenzy would be whipped up to such a frenzy that it will be Peyton and Montana as the best 2 QBs to play the game…ever. And that’s before he even plays the game. Brady will be discarded for having a near .500 average since starting his playoffs 10-0 and as a QB who has fallen off his prime. It’s laughable, but you know it would come down to that.

What’s on my mind
At what point do you think we’ll have the identity of this team? I think it will come later in the season. Certainly after week 8 vs Miami and by week 12 (vs Denver). That’s mostly offensively. The Defense should get it’s pace over the next 3 weeks with Atlanta/Cincy & New Orleans.

Where’s all the people saying how Kaepernik can’t be stopped?

Washington, Green Gay, San Fran and Giants. Parity at work. Though, I’d be concerned about a 9-7 Giants team that enters the playoff picture…no idea why I would be.

Chiefs & Cincinnati I like the way this is turning out. I even like the fact that the dolphins are 3-0 and can offer a challenge. About time we got some competition

You think Brady's going to get younger by the bye week? Seriously, he's working in a whole new bunch of green receivers and doing without three premium receivers at the slot, TE and RB. What about him looks old? Looks damn good to me.

You think Brady's going to get younger by the bye week? Seriously, he's working in a whole new bunch of green receivers and doing without three premium receivers at the slot, TE and RB. What about him looks old? Looks damn good to me.
No need to quote the whole thing for that. no, Brady looks fine to me. Its people talking about him looking old that is on my nerves. In other words, I agree with you. Not to mention, we'll have a complete offense with slot, TE, outside receivers and a solid to great run game (hopeful on that last part).

People need stop this Brady looks old crap. He complete just under 70% of his passes last week. There is still zip on the ball. When he gets in rhythm with his receivers, he gets rid of the ball quickly. I have seen very little evidence that he looks old. He struggled at time, but that had to do with lack of familiarity and confidence with his receivers.

And I see plenty sign of age in Manning. His balls thrown over 15 yards are ducks. That is a sign of age. He still have the great decision making and quick release with a great supporting cast (and so far weak competition) to make up the declining arm strength.

I swear. "Brady looks old" is the new "Football is no longer a priority for Brady".

This not directed to the OP other than he referenced it.

No need to quote the whole thing for that. no, Brady looks fine to me. Its people talking about him looking old that is on my nerves. In other words, I agree with you. Not to mention, we'll have a complete offense with slot, TE, outside receivers and a solid to great run game (hopeful on that last part).

Did I misunderstand this?

How is it that Peyton could be having the greatest season ever and be 1 year older than Brady with more wear and tear on his body and out guy is looking old. Let’s just agree to leave this decision until the bye week.

I'm not that optimistic.

The Pats have beaten three middle to lower of the pack teams. They had to sweat quite a bit to beat two of them.

The D has done well but they haven't faced an accurate thrower yet.

The offense is very challenged. Unless and until Gronk, Vereen and Amendoloa get back, Brady is going to be working with guys who are trying hard but learning on the job. We're going to see fits and starts with this offense, as we have all along thus far.

And the next 3 weeks are against much better opponents.

I think 5-1 is possible. That would be a big victory in my view.

And there are reasons for optimism. If Brady and the Kids can learn and develop while the Missing Three get healthy, then it's to the good and they will benefit from it in the end.

Also, while that Tampa win was great, it would have been nice to see a few more TDs. They scored two in the second quarter but only put up 6 points in the second half. That has to be a concern.

As to Brady, it's not age. Or it might be but who the heck can know that. But the fact is that he DID make some very bad passes and that end zone pick was Sanchez-Like. He also made a ton of great throws but we've seen more misses of open receivers (to go along with drops) than we're used to seeing from him. I love me some Tommy and I am not some spoiled fan. But I do want to see Tom hit guys when they're open a bit more than he has been in the first several games.

A bit of a ramble, I know.

I'm optimistic. The Patriots are 3-0. The defense is playing well. Their rookie WRs seem to be improving. They are, every day, closer to getting Gronk and Amendola - by far their two best receivers - back.

That's not to say there aren't concerns. I am optimistic about the defense, but I want to see how they do against a good offense. And I think the receivers will definitely go through a growth process, which will feature some ups and some downs.

On the whole, I'm seeing more positive signs, and I think by December they'll be extremely tough to beat.

Did I misunderstand this?

How is it that Peyton could be having the greatest season ever and be 1 year older than Brady with more wear and tear on his body and out guy is looking old. Let’s just agree to leave this decision until the bye week.
Yes. But, I'm sure I could have worded it better :). (and maybe not misspelled our).

I think any talk of Brady being old is ludicrous. Especially in comparison that Manning isn't being talked to in the same manner. How could Brady go from being the "most" accurate passer in the league to a guy who barely hit a receiver in the matter of 1 year? Not possible, I say.

It's be like going from a RB who rushes for 1400 yards one year to a guy who routinely does the butt fumble when he runs into his own lineman. QBs just don't lose that ability is such a short period of time.

Plus, there's plenty of proof that TB does have strength. It's the people looking only at the negative and not what's there as evidence.

You lost me at Brady is looking old. I'm optimistic that we can play with anyone. I think we'll surprise all the naysayers and go into Atlanta and win. I always think the Pats are going to win, so maybe I am unrealistic, but I don't care. Go Pats!!

We have lost so many weapons that were planned on... AH, Vereen who was showing some real brilliance, Amendola with his muscle pull, Gronkowski, Leon Washington has had little if any playing time...

So they have had to rely on 3 rookie receivers and Edelman, in a team that usually views wide receivers as a second or third option..

Our run game is stymied, as we have not, up to last week thrown any screens.. so their D line does not have to worry about the "edge" as we open up the offense, things will get better...

This homer is just enjoying the games as they are played. It's a long season and as Deus pointed out in the Power Rankings thread, injuries to players on many highly touted teams will play a big factor in this long season to come. I used to obsess over the march to the Playoff Bye early in the season. No more. I'm grateful for 3-0, even by 2 slim margins of victory over deeply flawed opponents and simply hope we reach the mid season Bye a couple games over .500 with this totally rebuilt offense.

This homer is just enjoying the games as they are played. It's a long season and as Deus pointed out in the Power Rankings thread, injuries to players on many highly touted teams will play a big factor in this long season to come. I used to obsess over the march to the Playoff Bye early in the season. No more. I'm grateful for 3-0, even by 2 slim margins of victory over deeply flawed opponents and simply hope we reach the mid season Bye a couple games over .500 with this totally rebuilt offense.

As a byproduct of all the 'cruise control' seasons, somewhere along the way I forgot how to enjoy a game. When I was younger I'd be glued to the set, eager to see what happened next, even when my boys were down 2 or 3 scores. Now I get butterflies even with a 3 point deficit. :bricks: I've vowed that this week will be different. No more hiding in the gameday thread praying for "Yesss!" and "Mayo!/Talib!/Edelman!/Brady!" posts. Nope, this time I'm going to leave the TV on and watch and ENJOY the game, with all its highs and lows, just as my younger self had the good sense to.

You lost me at Brady is looking old.
apparently I lost everyone there, though I'm really saying quite the opposite.

I'm optimistic that we can play with anyone. I think we'll surprise all the naysayers and go into Atlanta and win. I always think the Pats are going to win, so maybe I am unrealistic, but I don't care. Go Pats!!
We're getting Atlanta at a good time (though the same can be said for them as well with our injuries). I pretty much always feel the Pats are going to win (if they play their game effectively).

Good stretch for the team with @Atlanta, @Cincy and hosting New Orleans. We'll have a good measure of the defense during that timeframe. Offense might take some time (hence my comment about after the bye week)

I'm not opptimistic about Amendola and Gronkowski's health and without them the Pats won't beat good teams IMO.

I'm also not opptimistic about the young receivers (for this year.) They should be okay for the most part but in a tight game I don't expect them to come up with the big plays.

Fairly opptimistic about the RB depth, esp when Vereen returns. And opptimistic about the defense as long as Talib and Dennard are in there.

If Amendola and Gronk play, I think we have a good shot. Without them, it'll be tough, but still doable. I think we just have to find a way to keep it close.

Anyway, I won't be whining about the season being over if we lose this one.

I'm optimistic. Once the offense gets Amendola and Gronk back to patrol the middle of the field, the rookie WRs will get more room to operate, the run game will be better and most importantly, the red zone efficiency will be better. Getting Vereen back will be awesome too, as he is a threat in the run and pass game. The next three games will be a test for the defense.

I am very optimistic about this team if they can get and stay healthy in the playoffs. I think this Defense is playing better than I have seen them play in a long time. I don't say this just cause of the stats but by the eye ball test. They look solid at all 3 levels.

Also i think they can do better. Wilfork & McCourty have not played up to their ability to this point and Jones/Hightower/Dennard can and should still improve some.

Come playoff time this can and should be a playoff caliber D. I am not calling them the Seahawks D but they can be a solid 2nd level unit.

The offense will find its way. Once we add back Gronk/Amendola/Vereen they will get a big boost. If Dobson/Thompkins continue to improve (don't forget we have Edelman). That should really be enough options and allow us to attack all areas of the field and play the kind of physical offense you need to win in the playoffs.

The team isn't even play good at all. (Well the D is but not O) and they are 3-0 and 2-0 in division. Yes a very weak division but still.

Now the tough part comes up. ATL, Cincy and Saints.

Just go 2-1 in those games and they are fine...even 1-2 they will be perfectly fine. ( Unless MIA wins their next 3)

I'm feeling tremendously optimistic.

I'm not going to say the pats have struggled, but I know there are a lot of fans that are maybe accustomed to watching them score more points, and we're 3-0.
that's the point of all this is to win games.

our offense will 100% guaranteed improve and our defense is looking pretty awesome.

and by the way, in case people have forgotten, I believe the last time we saw atl was 2009 when we had just gotten lucky on the mckelvin fumble to have beaten buf by a point, and scored 9 points in a jets loss --- things weren't looking so great.

the 2-0 falcons were supposed to throw the dirt on us, as they had won 11 games the year before --- how'd that work out for them?

edit: I didn't check -- maybe salk and holley were coaching them

Status
Not open for further replies.

It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft