Welcome to PatsFans.com

How many rookies make the 53 man roster?

Discussion in 'PatsFans.com - Patriots Fan Forum' started by cstjohn17, Jul 22, 2007.

?

How many rookies make the 53 man roster?

1. 0

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. 1

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. 2

8.3%
  4. 3

44.4%
  5. 4

36.1%
  6. 5

8.3%
  7. 6

2.8%
  8. 7 or more

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. cstjohn17

cstjohn17 PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +43 / 11 / -4

#54 Jersey

2. patsox23

patsox23 Rookie

Ratings:
    +17 / 1 / -0

I voted three. Lua, Meriweather, Elgin/Richardson.
  3. cstjohn17

cstjohn17 PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +43 / 11 / -4

#54 Jersey

I came up with four.

1. Merriweather
    2. Kareem Brown
    3. Until I hear or see differently Hilliard, Elgin, Oldenburg are the same person. Looking at the numbers only 1 out of the 3 has any shot, the other two are likely Practice Squad players.
    4. Lua, Bissinger or Rogers

With all the cuts we should have decent set of players on the PS squad (assuming we don't carry 6 punters..)
    Last edited: Jul 22, 2007
  4. psychoPat

psychoPat Role Player PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

Analysis paralysis has locked up my 53. Only got 52.
    Even my "pre-injury" 60 has only 58.

That said, i deem Mills a rookie - after his debut on IR.
    Meriweather ... Lua ... perhaps Kareem
    ... and my fanfare pick ... Danny Baugher, replacing Josh.
  5. spacecrime

spacecrime Rookie

Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0

meriwether, brown, lua
  6. KDPpatsfan

KDPpatsfan Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I think Hairston takes Patrick Pass old spot. (No Sammy Morris didn't already do that...he took Dillon's spot) I don't see Evans getting cut over Hairston though if it comes down to it.
  7. reflexblue

reflexblue PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +130 / 4 / -0

#91 Jersey

ditto, ditto, ditto
  8. sebman2112

sebman2112 Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Um yeah, what about Kareem Brown? The Pats are going to cut their fourth rounder and let other teams take a crack at signing him off waivers? The guy was a monster during his senior season and Pioli talked about how much he liked the pick.

Anyways, I voted four.

Meriweather, Brown, Lua, and maybe Richardson. A few will stick on the practice sqaud as well. To be honest I don't feel sure about any of the O-Linemen they drafted. I like Elgin the most at this point.

For some reason I also have a feeling that either Rogers or Hairston could take one of those four spots.
    Last edited: Jul 23, 2007
  9. AzPatsFan

AzPatsFan On the Roster

Ratings:
    +238 / 22 / -10

This draft was a draft to do only a few things. One was to add another Safety to prepare for the new generation after Harrison retires and Hawkins loses it. Hence Meriwether. It was also a draft to refill the practice squad, IMHO. Dante had been so successful developing offensive linemen that all his projects graduated to the regular squad. This has been forcing walks, or trades, Ashworth, Gorin, or simply outgrowing the ability to stay on the PS any longer. Mrucz, Yates.

Dante needs to matriculate a new crop of O-line school students. Oldenburg, Barthelmes, Hilliard, and Elgin are the new students. They also are developing a replacement for Punter Josh Miller this year or next. Baugher seems to have the inside track over Malone but Malone has been injured and is slowly returning to form, which was very high in college.

There is the inevitable attempt to find DE to OLB conversion projects, too. All in the tradition of TBC, Alexander, Woods,and a cast of thousands as failures. This years candidates are Rodgers, Bissinger and Warren (already failed). TBC was a mild success, Woods might turn into something eventually. I actually think Rodgers has a shot; certainly better than the OLB from Nevada or the DE out of Florida from last year. A Patriot OLB must have pass rushing ability first of all; and Rodgers does. An OLB must also be agile and Rodgers has that too.
  10. patchick

patchick Moderatrix Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,114 / 9 / -2

#11 Jersey

Ooh, nice one! After all, the poll says "rookies" not "draft picks." Baugher certainly has a legitimate shot.

I figure at least 4 make it. Meriweather's a lock, Brown close to it, so that's 2 to start. I don't think you draft 3 OL's unless you believe there's room on your line, so I'll pencil in the best of that group. And the group of Lua, Richardson, Hairston and Baugher should yield a fourth if not more.