PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

2007 Draft Challenge

Status
Not open for further replies.
Eric Weddle better than Brandon Meriweather.

LOL.

There are 45 active players on game day, let's remove the kickers and backup QB. How many of the 42 should be getting significant snaps aside from the 22 starters on offense and defense in your opinion?

I know where you're going with this and are you telling me that any of these players played significant snaps?

Chad Brown
Marcellus Rivers
Chad Jackson
Mel Mitchell
Rashad Baker
Willie Andrews
Eddie Jackson
Santonio Thomas
Corey Mays
Kyle Eckel
Billy Yates
Ray Ventrone
Antwain Spann
Stephen Spach

Thats 14 listed and even if three draft picks made the team, you wouldn't be able to find a spot for them? Because of these players and their awesome special teams play? ST play that was so good that all but 4 were off the team the next year. Being an excellent ST player is one thing but none of these 14 were excellent ST players, they also weren't very good players on either offense or defense which is why none of them were on the team in 09. The premise that they would lose key ST'ers if any rookies made the team or that there wasn't room for them on the roster because it was so stacked is bogus as most of these players didn't even last the 2007 season.

Last edited:
I know where you're going with this and are you telling me that any of these players played significant snaps?

I'm actually not going anywhere "with this"... You stated that teams cannot afford 12 special teams only players. My question is simply how many offensive/defensive contributors do you expect a team to have on the 45 man active roster? Put in other words, how many special teams only players should a team normally have active on gameday?

Being an excellent ST player is one thing but none of these 14 were excellent ST players...

My original comment was more in reference to a poster who was suggesting cutting Alexander, Woods and Izzo in favor of rookies.

I'm actually not going anywhere "with this"... You stated that teams cannot afford 12 special teams only players. My question is simply how many offensive/defensive contributors do you expect a team to have on the 45 man active roster? Put in other words, how many special teams only players should a team normally have active on gameday?

My original comment was more in reference to a poster who was suggesting cutting Alexander, Woods and Izzo in favor of rookies.

It's tough to answer without talking about specific players and knowing what strengths they bring. A dynamic returner certainly would be worthy of a roster spot. Izzo for years was worth it as was Arrington this year. I would hope it wouldn't be more than 3 or 4 + K,P,LS.

It's tough to answer without talking about specific players and knowing what strengths they bring. A dynamic returner certainly would be worthy of a roster spot. Izzo for years was worth it as was Arrington this year. I would hope it wouldn't be more than 3 or 4 + K,P,LS.

So you feel that 15 backups (or non-starters) getting significant snaps is the norm or acceptable level?

I'm curious as to what the reality is in the NFL of how many special teams only players most teams have active on a weekly basis.

So you feel that 15 backups (or non-starters) getting significant snaps is the norm or acceptable level?

I'm curious as to what the reality is in the NFL of how many special teams only players most teams have active on a weekly basis.

I think so, on a given game last year maybe it would be Faulk, Morris, Edelman, Aiken, Baker, Levoir, Connelly, Pryor, TBC, Butler, Whilite, McGowan, Seau, Brace, Chung. Add K, P, LS to 22 starters and you're at 40.

Armchair QB, give yourself a Gold Star; you understand the Big Picture.

Eric Weddle > Stomper? As Phineas Flynn would say: Yes, yes he is.

Armchair QB, give yourself a Gold Star; you understand the Big Picture.

Eric Weddle > Stomper? As Phineas Flynn would say: Yes, yes he is.

And as Mr T would say "you crazy fool".

I'm not sure even Weddle's mother would agree with you.

Anything to put a negative spin on things, eh Cap? Weddle is almost as bad as Kaczur.

Then how bad must Meriweather be?

In his defense, maybe if Stomper had less SS responsibilities & more FS reponsibilities, he would be more effective. But as of now, his tackling is unacceptable, and he takes almost as many bad angles as lil' Jimmy Sanders. His propensity for trying to "Jack Up" somebody instead of securely wrapping up somebody is a mental disease that must be cured immediately. And for Ganja's sake, stop biting on the short route at the expense of the long route.

Ending on a positive note, however, I see that his hands have improved since his awful rookie season. Remember, he dropped a SB-clinching INT, also.

Then how bad must Meriweather be?

In his defense, maybe if Stomper had less SS responsibilities & more FS reponsibilities, he would be more effective. But as of now, his tackling is unacceptable, and he takes almost as many bad angles as lil' Jimmy Sanders. His propensity for trying to "Jack Up" somebody instead of securely wrapping up somebody is a mental disease that must be cured immediately. And for Ganja's sake, stop biting on the short route at the expense of the long route.

Ending on a positive note, however, I see that his hands have improved since his awful rookie season. Remember, he dropped a SB-clinching INT, also.

You have an odd analysis system. And by odd I mean horrendous.

And according to you, there are no over-paid and/or under-performing players, or incorrect coaching decisions, or stupid draft picks. We get it already.

Remember, everyone: captain stone is on record as saying that, over the course of the Pioli/Belichick era, he could have run the FO more effectively than they did. It kinda goes without saying that the guy's straight-up delusional about this stuff, and you really need to keep that in mind when you read his brilliant player 'analysis'.

I had him on ignore for pretty much all of last season, then I took him off because I missed the absurdity of his posts. It's like a really funny train wreck.

Last edited:
Remember, everyone: captain stone is on record as saying that, over the course of the Pioli/Belichick era, he could have run the FO more effectively than they did. It kinda goes without saying that the guy's straight-up delusional about this stuff, and you really need to keep that in mind when you read his brilliant player 'analysis'.

I had him on ignore for pretty much all of last season, then I took him off because I missed the absurdity of his posts. It's like a really funny train wreck.

You missed him opining a few years ago that the FO was having it's asses handed to them by the Dolphins. Who then proceeded to 6-10 and 1-15, whilst the pats went 12-4 and 16-0.

But hey, what do they know huh?

Last edited:

Kinda like the way the season ended, you mean? Except for the funny part, of course.

Now, before I put you on my Ignore list for pretty much all of next season, do you have anything sustantive to add to the thread, which after all is called "2007 Draft Challenge", or just name-calling? Are you actually up to the challenge of making your own list or at least making pick-by-pick commentaries on lists others have made? Or are you too busy to put in the effort & would rather just accept every syllable out of Foxborough as if it came from Heaven itself?

Nah, my opinion ofthe 2007 draft begins and ends with the fact that the Pats got 3 2009 pro bowlers out of it. That's better than any alternative than I can come up with. But your opinion is worthless anyways, so go put me on ignore or whatever, I don't care.

The pleasure of putting on Ignore yet another delusional, koolaid-guzzling lemming is all mine.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back