PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

How do draft "value" grades play out?

I think that your breakdown shows why people like mock drafts, pre and post draft analysis, and second guessing team's drafts, and also shows that second guessing even the best drafting teams is worthwhile as a time waster for fans, even if it will never change anything.

You need two more categories.

Vince Wolfork was not quite a "steal"; rather, a guy who fell into our laps. Sorry for the reference, PatChick. I remember Chris Berman of ESPN saying at the time, "The rich just got richer."

That draft worked out beautifully.

I think the major piece of the puzzle is always missing when grading out a draft years later.....BB's coaching. We can say this player was a steal or a whatever.....but the truth is about 90% of the players in the draft could be turned into more useful players by our coach vs. the coach that got the player. Its a combination of skill, intelligence, determination and opportunity....without any being more important. "Value", as defined by the TV pundits, has basically no place in patriot camp other than cap space. Avoiding 1st round picks levels even that playing field.

Agreed. On the flip side, I think teams like the raiders often grade out poorly on draft retrospectives because of poor player development as much as poor drafting. Players like Robert Gallery and Michael Huff may have been much more successful had they ended up on the Pats.

Agreed. On the flip side, I think teams like the raiders often grade out poorly on draft retrospectives because of poor player development as much as poor drafting. Players like Robert Gallery and Michael Huff may have been much more successful had they ended up on the Pats.

Gallery was reportedly done in by short arms (32 1/4" reach) and stiffness, and as such probably would never have been drafted by the Patriots to play tackle.

Matt Light for example has a 33 1/2" reach, which is considered average for the position. Ryan Clady has a 36 3/4" reach.

I just wanted to say that this is an amazing thread, and pchick that is some heavy duty work you put in. Excellent.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back