PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

How important is a downfield threat?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well it should really be a threat outside the numbers in the middle to deep zone. For the offense it doesn't have to mean bombs away. It would also be nice if he is a threat to run the sideline fade and is tall enough and strong enough to go up and get a ball in tight coverage.

One reason is simply to keep the safety on that side of the field honest and prevent the safety from getting to aggressive in run support and keeping the safety the heck out of the space where Welker and the TEs operate.

Absolutely.

It would be ideal to improve both WR needs, as far as a guy with better chemistry and ability to beat man coverage; and also someone who can stretch the field to at least open up the underneath a bit more.

I'd love to see the addition of a 'bigger name' WR to open up the field, and an upgrade to the depth too with something better than Ochocinco (someone who can contribute better).

Well it should really be a threat outside the numbers in the middle to deep zone. For the offense it doesn't have to mean bombs away. It would also be nice if he is a threat to run the sideline fade and is tall enough and strong enough to go up and get a ball in tight coverage.

One reason is simply to keep the safety on that side of the field honest and prevent the safety from getting to aggressive in run support and keeping the safety the heck out of the space where Welker and the TEs operate.

Well nobody I've seen here is suggesting he be viewed as the #1 WR on the roster, but he is a good possession receiver as shown by his stats who our HOF possible GOAT QB has total confidence in, that is he will be where the QB expects him to be and at the right time.

So while not the #1 target he can be a valuable member of he roster providing quality depth.

We don't neccessarily need the classic burner (4.3-4.4), but a receiver that is capable of running all the routes on film.

Everything a player does is charted during study...How often he runs different routes in certain formations, down & distance, far side to near side, in motion.

So when a receiver runs all the routes on the field the DB must 'play every route' (0-hitch, 1-quick out, 2-slant, 3-deep out, 4-hook, 5-deep comeback, 6-In, 7-deep corner, 8-deep post, 9-go).

That's why Belichick called Reggie Wayne the best receiver he's ever coached against, because Belichick sees that Wayne can run all of these routes and sell different routes to setup a DB for a double move...His route running makes him a 'deep threat' not his speed. You have to possess some speed.. NFL receiver speed, but not elite speed. Wayne still runs a deep post effectively because he runs the in route so well and often, so you're not sure what's coming when he stems inside.

We need a savvy receiver who can run all the routes, and can develop proper rapport with Brady. That's why Brandon Lloyd seems like a no-brainer because of his relationship with McDaniels.

A young receiver who was asked to do a lot in college is Mohamed Sanu, he ran plenty of routes, lined up in the wildcat, played the X, Y, Z, and was used in motion and end arounds....He probably won't run better than a 4.55, but he already plays like a pro and understands how to use multiple routes and movement to get open.

Sanu would be great to develop if we could get him at the right spot. Sanu and Lloyd/Wayne/Colston (one) would be awesome to start OTA's with, along with our inside workers (Gronk, Welker, Hernandez).

Marques Colston.

Day 1 FA, pay him 10mill, downfield threat problem solved.

Cut Stinko, Let Branch go. Re-sign Welker. Draft Michael Floyd from ND

Franchise(Brady) says Thank you very much(Giselle happy too). Fan forget pain of SB loss, and get ready for redemption for another run

I agree. Get the man a 5 year 45ish mill contract. We have the money and then re sign welker. and drop ochocinco let branch walk. itll free up more money for re signing up our other free agents and there should be enough of a space for rookie contracts also. ocho's base salary in '12 is 3 mill. with bonuses he's due to make 6 MIL!!! are you serious. lets invest that money in someone who will produce. sorry but ur done ochocinco. unless he accepts the veteran minimum but i highly doubt he would. Thoughts?

I agree 100%.

The thought of a guy with good chemistry like a Gaffney for example would make a lot of difference.

Remember, though, Gaffney didn't really start to sync-up with Brady until the post-season. He was 11/142 in his first regular season with the Pats - about half the yardage that Ocho had in 2011, very little of it deep. Gaffney then went 36/449 in his second Pats season, 2007, behind Welker and Moss. Reche Caldwell actually accomplished more in his first season in 2006 than Gaffney did, going 61/760 - just a bit more than what Branch did in 2011.

Remember, though, Gaffney didn't really start to sync-up with Brady until the post-season. He was 11/142 in his first regular season with the Pats - about half the yardage that Ocho had in 2011, very little of it deep. Gaffney then went 36/449 in his second Pats season, 2007, behind Welker and Moss. Reche Caldwell actually accomplished more in his first season in 2006 than Gaffney did, going 61/760 - just a bit more than what Branch did in 2011.

All fair points, MM.

My example of Gaffney was what he'd bring currently, as opposed to viewing the past.

I still think in 2006 (post-season) and 2007, he was better than a current Branch. (not necessarily a knock on Deion)

It's certainly possible that I used a poor example when bringing Gaffney up, but I think we'd have easily won the SB this yr with a guy who was able to work downfield a bit and had a good trust/rapport with Brady.

There are some limitations to this analysis, the schemes and QB's and their protection vary quite a bit, whne Lloyd was with McD with even K Orton at QB his stats are markedly different.

G Rec Yds YPC
16 77 1,448 18.8

I didn't look for the YAC, but his line is very different from 2010 to 2011, with Tebow and who know who throwing to him in StL.

The rest of Lloyd's line for 2010 was 30% 20+ yarders, 16.2 "air yards"/catch and a 50.3% CR.

"with even K Orton at QB" - Orton put up some decent numbers in 2009/2010 and his strength is his accuracy on deep throws.

- BB obviously disagrees with you, as he brought in Polite.
- How many RBs did we have on the roster this past season, are you telling me we'd have been worse off if one of those spots was taken by a bruiser to open holes and occasionally pound the ball on short yardage situations?

And the offense will fall apart as soon as they come up against a good defense able to deal with that game, which has been happening quite a bit lately. They need to be able to win in more than one way, shying away from being able to pound the ball smash-mouth style will not help them in the long term.

BB didn't really use Polite much now did he? This simply isn't an offense that has much use for a Fullback. They are fine running from the single back set. In short yardage situations the have been putting a lineman in the backfield for years. I'd like to see them run more often and see Brady under center more often to take advantage of play action passes. Heck I'd like to see them run more just to keep Brady and the receivers from taking so many hits over the course of the season. I think this offense goes to the empty backfield too often as it allows the other team play the pass at the snap of the ball. I mean on first down outside of a two minute drill why tell the defense before the snap here comes a pass?

Well nobody I've seen here is suggesting he be viewed as the #1 WR on the roster, but he is a good possession receiver as shown by his stats who our HOF possible GOAT QB has total confidence in, that is he will be where the QB expects him to be and at the right time.

So while not the #1 target he can be a valuable member of he roster providing quality depth.

Well, as long as he truly is down on the depth chart, but Brady obviously likes him and likes having him on the field. My concern is that he sees too much PT simply because he knows the offense.

Status
Not open for further replies.

2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
Back