Asking for your support

Would You trade Cassel for Peppers?

• I would do this deal straight up

Votes: 45 36.6%
  • I wouldn't do this deal.

Votes: 29 23.6%
  • I would do it if we got something in addition to Peppers

Votes: 38 30.9%
  • I would do this deal even if we had to give up more then Cassel (depending on what it is)

Votes: 11 8.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't care for Peppers as a player, he's highly overrated. He'll have trouble setting the edge in a 3-4, and his value is almost entirely in pass rushing. His production has waned in recent years, though he did have a decent bounce-back season this year. I still wouldn't do it, I'd rather trade Cassel for a first round pick and target a guy like Everette Brown.

Are you sure about that? Look at the rest of Carolina's D-line, they suck balls! It's up to Peppers to generate a pass rush or their screwed. Peppers says that he doesn't like their system, yet he still managed to get 14.5 sacks this season. What does that say about him as a player? He's pretty damn good.

Re: How about Cassel for Julius Peppers - My Speculation

I love Barwin as an add. How about Krugger from Utah. All motor. 6' 5" 265. Jared Allen type. His teammate Sean Smith is 6'3" 215lb S/CB with 5 ints and 9 passes defended.

Add these youngsters to a front seven with Peppers and you are much better.

Great call. Kruger and Smith are high on my list. In my mock offseason posted 3 days ago under the draft forum I had the Pats trading Cassel for a 2009 1st (somewhere between 19 and 22) and a conditional 2010 second. Based on that scenario, I had us taking a S/CB with one 1st round pick (either DJ Moore, Will Moore, or Sean Smith, depending on what we addressed in FA) and Paul Kruger with the other. So I love Kruger as well. I agree that he's all motor, and I compared him to Jared Allen as well. I thought the combination of Kruger and Barwin (with Barwin possibly moving inside to SILB) would be tremendous. But in the scenario in this thread, if we were to franchise Cassel and trade him for Peppers, then we would only have room for at most 1 LB in the draft, and I have trouble seeing us land both Kruger and Barwin. I love both and would be happy with either, but see Barwin going a bit lower and having a bit more flexibility than Kruger.

I think Sean Smith has amazing physical ability and will be a fast riser. He can probably play both the CB and S positions. His upside is becoming another Nnamdi Asomugha. His downside is becoming another Tebucky Jones - sort of a tweener, adequate but not really justifying the high pick. I could see us going for Will Moore if we wanted a pure S or DJ Moore if we wanted a pure CB, but I like Smith's versatility at this point in the draft process and could easily see him going at #23.

On "O", I would still trade Maroney for a high pick. That is just me talking. Even when healthy (the key is when) he dances way too much for me. The Eagles have 2 #1's. Westbrook has a lot of wear and tear. Would they bite? The Broncos new coach might.

I like Morris and Jordan as a tandem with the guy with five or six names included. Faulk can't go forever but look what that group did without Maroney. Best running game in how many years?

I don't like Maroney's dancing either. I wanted DeAngelo Williams in 2006. I've been disappointed with Maroney's running style and temperment, though he certainly has the physical ability. I just don't see anyone trading a high pick for him at this point, and don't see any reason to give him away for cheap. Let him have another year to prove himself, especially after being IR in 2008 and having the long offseason to recover. If he doesn't show significant improvement in 2009 then I see us looking for RB in next year's draft.

I like Morris and Jordan as a tandem, but am not sure we will be able to afford keeping Jordan. If we could get him, great, but I'm not counting on it. Devin Moore is a Darren Sproles all-purpose type at RB, and could potentially replace Faulk in a few years.

I would trade our third for Gonzales (we have two) and we have a very good 2009 line up on both sides with a healthy TB. Our major adds would be Peppers, Sean Jones, Dunta Robinson (or Greer) and Gonzales. Nothing here is a "dream" or fantasy.

Peppers for Cassel makes sense for both teams. Who ever thought we would ever hear that statement last September?

Would you take a flyer on E.James for one year as a better fit than Maroney? He should be fresh after sitting most of 2008.

DW Toys

I personally am not a fan of trading a 3rd round pick for a soon-to-be 33 year old tight end, no matter how illustrious his career. Also, I see our OL needs as more important than TE right now. I also wouldn't take a flier on Edgerrin James. He's been good in the playoffs, but I just see too much mileage on him to make him effective over the course of a 16 game season. I like Dunta Robinson, but see him being higher priced than some other options at CB (probably in between Scrabble and the CBs I listed), which is why I didn't include him in my list.

Good thoughts. It will be interesting to see if anything happens.

No would rather have Asimougha for Cassell straight up, Peppers is washed up IMO

On "O", I would still trade Maroney for a high pick. That is just me talking. Even when healthy (the key is when) he dances way too much for me. The Eagles have 2 #1's. Westbrook has a lot of wear and tear. Would they bite? The Broncos new coach might.

I don't think Maroney will net a high pick in return though. How about Maroney for Gonzalez instead?

I don't think Maroney will net a high pick in return though. How about Maroney for Gonzalez instead?

O.K. I would do it. But how about a blockbuster trade for the interest and comments of all concerned.Remember that the CBA expires and so does the CAP next year. Keep that in mind because I am not as fluid on CAP as Miguel.
LJ wants out. At 29 he has some years left and is healthy. When he is healthy he is a premier RB. I am not a big fan, but he does have some outstanding games.

Gonzales is 33 it's true. Some say he is washed up (right....96 receptions). K.C would have taken a three for him last fall. His contract is fairly CAP friendly and it is for three years. I would love him for at leat two. He would be a great "Welcome back! Tom" present. TG is an immediate upgrade to our "O". If we need a blocking TE in a situation. the Hochstein experiment worked fine. Actually Watson is getting better in blocking (but the down spiral in catching).

My proposal for your comments and anger are thus: Maroney, Thomas and Cassel for LJ, Gonzales and the Chiefs second round pick and first round swap of picks (we know BB would trade down after that). Worse case scenario is we move LJ. LJ might flourish here with a top tier passing attack. He is definitely trade bate for K.C. Seems the new G.M. scouted hand picked those three guys in his other life. It puts a little stamp on the team and cleans up some business.

Now SP has $30 million under CAP to spend on FAs and some younger players that he knows. We get something for Cassel, a little for Maroney (who is from that area) and Thomas is no great loss but a body to fill Gonzales shoes for K.C. on their end to make this work.

LJ could be the unexpected bonus here. Ask yourself, would you rather have a fully healthy LJ in a fresh winning environment or "Dancing with the Stars" Maroney? No question Pioli does not have to do due diligence on the players he gets from us.

TB has got a few more rings in him. Lets get him some more toys with added draft choices to upgrade the "D" ......OR THE HELL WITH IT, Just swap Cassel for Peppers. Your choice.

DW Toys

Last edited:
Are you sure about that? Look at the rest of Carolina's D-line, they suck balls! It's up to Peppers to generate a pass rush or their screwed. Peppers says that he doesn't like their system, yet he still managed to get 14.5 sacks this season. What does that say about him as a player? He's pretty damn good.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure. Everything you said meshes with my feelings on the subject. His value is purely in pass rushing. He's a poor defender against the run. He doesn't drop back into coverage much, so it's hard to know how he'd fare there. The year prior to this, he had only 2.5 sacks, despite his prodigious talent. He disappears in big games - he did nothing against the Cardinals this year, nothing against the Seahawks in the conference championship a few years back, and you should know how little he did against the Patriots in the Superbowl. For all the playoff games he's been in, he has exactly two sacks to show for it. Combined with his up and down performance the last couple of years, the wear and tear he's already accumulated and the asking price, no, I wouldn't do it. The Steelers found a DPOY with 16.5 sacks as an UDFA, and while I'm not expecting the Patriots to do that, I'd rather see what the Patriots come up with in a draft that will be loaded with talented college DEs ready to step in and play OLB in the 3-4.

The more I think about this the more I think it is a serious possibility

Peppers has as good as said 'come and get me NE' hasnt he. 3-4 defense, chance of a ring and willing to take less money. If thats all true and not hogwash player talk then who knows. Imagine how BB could scheme in into that front 7:eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call