PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Horrible NFL Trades

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't recall what happened with the picks, but two firsts for Joey Galloway doesn't stick in my mind as the greatest of bargains.

And I'm blanking here, but wasn't there a time the Pats traded down in the first round to get two picks they used on forgettable picks, and the pick they traded away got somebody good?

And how about the Jets' recent trade for the pick that let them take Dwayne Robertson?

Wait -- I have a better recent example -- the Bills' trade for Drew Bledsoe!

Seattle's trade doesn't begin to rank.

Last edited:
Didn't the Jets trade a first rounder to the Raiders for TE Doug Jolley last year? I remember he did pretty much nothing for them.

Fanfrom1960 said:
I don't think it was that bad for the Seahawks. A lot of first round picks like Ryan Leaf, even Heisman winners like Jason White, Eric Crouch, Danny Wuerffel, Chris Weinke, Gino Torretta, Charlie Ward totally bust. Branch is a known quantity who is not going to bust, in fact is an excellent receiver. Also, Seattle obviously wanted to go for it all this year, so they opted for an experienced producer rather than wait a whole year for the pick. Of course, they probably won't win it all, but can't say they didn't try.
but if you are going to say all that, you should at least mention the pat's track record with first round picks.

it seems like they rarely miss....

Fencer said:
I don't recall what happened with the picks, but two firsts for Joey Galloway doesn't stick in my mind as the greatest of bargains.

And I'm blanking here, but wasn't there a time the Pats traded down in the first round to get two picks they used on forgettable picks, and the pick they traded away got somebody good?

And how about the Jets' recent trade for the pick that let them take Dwayne Robertson?

Wait -- I have a better recent example -- the Bills' trade for Drew Bledsoe!

Seattle's trade doesn't begin to rank.

I think they traded out of the spot Jerry Rice was picked and ended up with Trevor Matich and somebody else. Not sure, but they did trade out of the spot Rice was picked.

Tebucky Jones. Got 3 picks for a guy I don't think they were high on, then picked him up for nothing and a low contract a few years later.

That depth would be looking good now if he wasn't hurt.

Keegs said:
I just think the Seattle/branch trade was putrid though.

It's not like he is going to single handedly bring them a title.

They wasted a first, he is not worth a first. No way in hell.

I just don't see him making that big of a difference.

So he had a big game with 2 tds during a blowout..... EVERY RECEIVER on the team had at least 1 td that game... it was a joke.

I just don't see him being worth it.

and i am thrilled we got a number 1...

now comes the fun part, seing how bad they end up.

The Patriots picked Deion Branch in the late 2nd round 4-1/2 years ago. If the 2002 draft were held today and teams could redraft the players with the knowledge of their current value, where do you think Deion Branch would go in the draft? Near the top of the second? Bottom of the first? You find 32 players better than Deion in that draft. You're sure not going to find 50.

To say that a (presumably late) first round pick is an incrediably high price to pay for a late second round pick that panned out is quite a stretch, IMO. But, to each his own. I think you way overvalue draft picks. But, then again, I think most people do.

Fencer said:

quote]
You may be referring to 1985 when the Pats traded the 16th pick to SF and they used it on some receiver from Miss. Valley State. A kid name Rice IIRC.......The Pats used their draft picks on Trevor Matich and Ben Thomas...

why is everyone ignoring the fact that the pats make outstanding use of their 1st round picks?

you all keep talking about the possiblity of a bust and how Deion was/is a "sure thing" and good receiver but you don't mention how the Pats rarely miss.

It's unfair and incredibly annoying.

TruthSeeker said:
The Patriots picked Deion Branch in the late 2nd round 4-1/2 years ago. If the 2002 draft were held today and teams could redraft the players with the knowledge of their current value, where do you think Deion Branch would go in the draft? Near the top of the second? Bottom of the first? You find 32 players better than Deion in that draft. You're sure not going to find 50.

To say that a (presumably late) first round pick is an incrediably high price to pay for a late second round pick that panned out is quite a stretch, IMO. But, to each his own. I think you way overvalue draft picks. But, then again, I think most people do.

Its not just about how good guys are. Deion wanted to tear up the final year of his deal, so basically anyone trading for Deion was trading for the right to negotiate with him as a free agent. Add to this the fact he was looking to be overpaid (in my opinion) and I was shocked they got a 1st for him.

Atlanta sent Bret Farve to Green Bay for a 1st round pick. Atlanta used the pick for RB Tony Smith. Tony Smith rushed for 329 yards in his career. Ouch!

I shocked that no one mentioned Jim Plunkett to San Francisco for picks that became Mike Haynes and Tim Fox.

Not as epic as the H Walker trade, but it was a great trade for the home side.

Patsfanin Philly said:
You may be referring to 1985 when the Pats traded the 16th pick to SF and they used it on some receiver from Miss. Valley State. A kid name Rice IIRC.......The Pats used their draft picks on Trevor Matich and Ben Thomas...

Yeah. I thought it was Rice. I NEVER would have remembered who the two guys they got in return were.

For the pick that became Marcus Vick, the Chargers got the pick that became Tomlinson, Tim Dwight, and what else?

I used to think Drew Brees was in there, but they actually took him with their own 2nd round pick.

Keegs said:
why is everyone ignoring the fact that the pats make outstanding use of their 1st round picks?

you all keep talking about the possiblity of a bust and how Deion was/is a "sure thing" and good receiver but you don't mention how the Pats rarely miss.

It's unfair and incredibly annoying.

Anyone who has been following football for decades know that there is no sure things in football.

We also know that BB does make personnel mistakes - just usually not huge ones.

Let's take 2002. We drafted Daniel Graham. Why was Graham drafted? Because BB decided to let Jermaine Wiggins walk when he could have been resigned for cheap money.

Since that time, BB drafted Graham, Watson, Spencer Nead, Andy Stokes and David Thomas, Christian Fauria, Cam Cleeland, Fred Baxter, and Jed Weaver to fill that TE spot.

That's quite a bit of roster space, draft picks, free agent money, time and effort to replace a guy we already had.

So let's not talk like we'll be getting the position equivilent of Tom Brady with Seattle's #1 pick. BB might not pick turds in the 1st round but that doesn't mean he hits a home run every at bat.

That's not only unfair, and annoying, it's incredibly arrogant.

JoeSixPat said:
That's not only unfair, and annoying, it's incredibly arrogant.
and so is this entire thread.

But yeah, you are right...... but are you saying Graham is a bust?? that's what you imply.

and we all know how he loves tight ends..

i never said the pats' first round picks are a sure thing, but out of every team in the league, i would say they draft the best players in the first round.

making a 1st round pick very valuable for this team.
especially since it was for a 2nd round pick Deion Branch playing under his rookie contract.
Especially since he was leaving anyways.
especially since he looks like "Beetlejuice" from Howard Stern radio show.

Didn't the Pats have to give the Jets a first rounder for BB? If so, not a bad bargain for the Pats.

Keegs said:
and so is this entire thread.

But yeah, you are right...... but are you saying Graham is a bust?? that's what you imply.

and we all know how he loves tight ends..

i never said the pats' first round picks are a sure thing, but out of every team in the league, i would say they draft the best players in the first round.

making a 1st round pick very valuable for this team.
especially since it was for a 2nd round pick Deion Branch playing under his rookie contract.
Especially since he was leaving anyways.
especially since he looks like "Beetlejuice" from Howard Stern radio show.

Graham never quite panned out to be the offensive threat BB had hoped for... however it would be wrong to say that had he kept Wiggins he'd not have drafted another TE.

But it can't be denied that BB's spent a ton of money and draft picks bringing TEs in since Wiggins departure.

Who knows who we could have had on our team instead of bringing in 9 TEs to replace Wiggins.

BB can and does make poor personnel decisions occasionally. To say that it is impossible that he could make one with a #1 draft choice again, is just arrogant.

If you weren't saying our #1 pick from Seatlle is a sure thing, then I don't understand how you are calling this one of the most horrible trades of all time.

That will depend on what we do with that pick, and how that player pans out 3-4 years down the road.

Last edited:
These were worse:

- Dallas giving Seattle 2 first round picks for Joey Galloway

- Washington giving Cincinnati 2 first round picks for Dan Wilkinson

- Carolina giving St. Louis 2 first round picks for Sean Gilbert

None of those players made much of an impact with their new team, and they all got rich new contracts on top of the compensation. I would add Tampa giving the Jets 2 first round picks for Keyshawn Johnson, but since they won a championship after trading for Keyshawn it doesn't rank as bad of a deal.

The trade the Broncos made with the Redskins is going to end up being a bonanza for the Broncos. The Broncos sent Ashley Lelie who didn't want to play for them and was an underachieving 1st round choice to Atlanta, and Atlanta sent TJ Duckett to Washington.

Denver receive the Redskins' #3 pick and the option to switch 1st round picks with Washington. The #3 alone is a good return for Lelie IMO, but switching 1sts makes this a true heist. Washington was much more likely to implode than Denver and it's looking like that will be the case.

Now, for example, let's assume the Broncos get #28, and the Redskins get #12. The difference between those choices by the draft value chart is 1200 (#12) -660 (#28) is 540 points. That difference is the equivalent of the #4 pick in the 2nd round. Now this is subjective of course, and the overall strength of the players involved would affect this. The Browns gave up a high #2 pick to Jacksonville to switch spots at #6 and #7.

Ultimately, it probably means the Broncos get a #3 pick and a potential impact player for a semi-bust who refused to play for them.

I wish we could make a trade that lopsided, although Vince Wilfork and Eugene Wilson for Kyle Boller isn't bad.

A fool and his money (i.e. Dan Snyder and draft choices), are soon parted. Why aren't BB and SP on the phone right now, relieving the Redskins of their future picks?

NE39 said:
These were worse:

- Dallas giving Seattle 2 first round picks for Joey Galloway

- Washington giving Cincinnati 2 first round picks for Dan Wilkinson

- Carolina giving St. Louis 2 first round picks for Sean Gilbert

None of those players made much of an impact with their new team, and they all got rich new contracts on top of the compensation. I would add Tampa giving the Jets 2 first round picks for Keyshawn Johnson, but since they won a championship after trading for Keyshawn it doesn't rank as bad of a deal.

Or New Orleans trading 2 first round picks to draft Jon "Buffet Table" Sullivan.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft