PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Horrible NFL Trades

Status
Not open for further replies.

Keegs

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
i honestly feel that the Trade of a 1st round pick for Deion Branch might be the worst that i have ever seen.

But i am only 23, I have missed many trades when i was younger im sure that were also terrible....

but what do you guys thinK?

how horrible was this trade for Seattle??

do you know of any other trades just as bad?

What about the infamous Herschel Walker trade.

I don't think the Seattle trade was that bad. Deion is a good player, but don't think he is worth a first. However, there have been plenty of trades where teams have traded high picks and gotten bad players. At least Seattle traded a high pick and got a good player.

I thought the Deion trade was a stretch. It was a bad trade. I'm not sure if it is horrible though, and that will be decided by how he produces and whether Seattle wins a championship in the next couple years.

A 2nd rounder for Culpepper just happened and might be worse.

An entire draft for Ricky Williams.

The Hershel Walker trade where Dallas got a boatload of draft picks.

If Rivers ends up better then Eli, while the Giants will never regret the trade that got them Eli, that trade will look pretty bad.

Washington's trade for TJ Duckett. They don't even use him.

There are probably quite a few more, those are off the top of my head.

The Hershel Walker trade single handedly built the Dallas dynasty.

I just think the Seattle/branch trade was putrid though.

It's not like he is going to single handedly bring them a title.

They wasted a first, he is not worth a first. No way in hell.

I just don't see him making that big of a difference.

So he had a big game with 2 tds during a blowout..... EVERY RECEIVER on the team had at least 1 td that game... it was a joke.

I just don't see him being worth it.

and i am thrilled we got a number 1...

now comes the fun part, seing how bad they end up.

Keegs said:
I just think the Seattle/branch trade was putrid though.

It's not like he is going to single handedly bring them a title.

They wasted a first, he is not worth a first. No way in hell.

I just don't see him making that big of a difference.

So he had a big game with 2 tds during a blowout..... EVERY RECEIVER on the team had at least 1 td that game... it was a joke.

I just don't see him being worth it.

and i am thrilled we got a number 1...

now comes the fun part, seing how bad they end up.

His two TD game came against the Rams and it was not a blow-out. Seattle won on a long last second field goal.

Keegs said:
i honestly feel that the Trade of a 1st round pick for Deion Branch might be the worst that i have ever seen.

I don't have an answer, but I do have a question for the Moderators:

Is there any way bump this thread ahead so it appears four years in the future, after we've actually used Seattle's 1st round draft choice and had some time to figure out if it was a good selection or a bad selection?

I think you're a little bit pre-mature Keegs... of course at 23, I suppose we all were. ;)

Last edited:
JoeSixPat said:

Is there any way bump this thread ahead so it appears four years in the future, after we've actually used Seattle's 1st round draft choice and had some time to figure out if it was a good selection or a bad selection?

I think you're a little bit pre-mature Keegs... of course at 23, I suppose we all were. ;)

That's true. The trade won't seem as bad if the Pats end up blowing the draft pick.

zippo59 said:
What about the infamous Herschel Walker trade.

I don't think the Seattle trade was that bad. Deion is a good player, but don't think he is worth a first. However, there have been plenty of trades where teams have traded high picks and gotten bad players. At least Seattle traded a high pick and got a good player.

Agreed. A mid-low first rounder is no guarantee and Deion is a proven receiver.
Combine Deion and Burleson's contract though and Seattle's looking unbalanced.

From our point of view it's a bonanza, though.

We will have replaced his production by seasons end (IMO), all our new receivers are young, chances are, with Jackson maturing, we're much better in a year or two, we saved a boatload of money and we won't likely screw up a 1st round pick.

Herschel Walker's the gold standard for bad trades.

Recently, the Dolphins have Ricky's bong, Feeley's ghost and Culpepper's failure to show for 2 #1's and 2 #2's. Ouch!:confused:

Last edited:
JoeSixPat said:

I understand that that outlook is fun and trades end up being viewed that way, but I don't like it. If the Pats draft a pro bowler with the pick then it was a great trade but if they draft a bust it was a crappy trade?

The Pats traded Deion for the potential of a likely low 1st round pick. That was a good deal reguardless how it turns out. If they draft a bust the trade will still be a success, with the failure falling on the personnel department.

Reversing that, if Seattle hypothetically tanks from here on out (they won't)and the pick ends up being top 10 you can't really hold that against Seattle. They had every reason to believe the pick to be 20+.

Kdo5 said:
Another lame ass thread of Keegs. Only this one I see as a joke and he cant even be serious about. Branch was worth a second round draft pick at best. We werent resigning him, what the hell did you want Keegs, having him sitting on his ass whining for the season and then losing him afterwards for nothing. We are 5-1, the Seahawks are 3-2. Branch had one good game. He has two TDs, Gabriel has 3. Who the hell cares? I've seen plenty of people besides pundits say the Seahawks were raped by this trade.

Someone needs to take away Keeg's privlages to start threads.

Hey!

Have you two met?

Wrong end of the stick meet Kdo5......Kdo5 meet the wrong end of the stick.

Keegs was saying it was a bad trade from Seattles point of view.

NM

TomBrady'sGoat said:
I understand that that outlook is fun and trades end up being viewed that way, but I don't like it. If the Pats draft a pro bowler with the pick then it was a great trade but if they draft a bust it was a crappy trade?

The Pats traded Deion for the potential of a likely low 1st round pick. That was a good deal reguardless how it turns out. If they draft a bust the trade will still be a success, with the failure falling on the personnel department.

Reversing that, if Seattle hypothetically tanks from here on out (they won't)and the pick ends up being top 10 you can't really hold that against Seattle. They had every reason to believe the pick to be 20+.

Youmay not like it, and it might not make sense, but realistically in the end this trade is going to be judged by what the Pats do with their pick.

The Hershel Walker trade would not be viewed as nearly as bad if the Cowboys hadn't ended up drafting all those great players.

Kdo5 said:
Another lame ass thread of Keegs. Only this one I see as a joke and he cant even be serious about. Branch was worth a second round draft pick at best. We werent resigning him, what the hell did you want Keegs, having him sitting on his ass whining for the season and then losing him afterwards for nothing. We are 5-1, the Seahawks are 3-2. Branch had one good game. He has two TDs, Gabriel has 3. Who the hell cares? I've seen plenty of people besides pundits say the Seahawks were raped by this trade.

Hey Moron, i never said that i didn't want the trade to happen.
I wanted to trade him for a 1st, and i couldn't believe it worked.
It's a bad trade for Seattle.... terrible. And yes you can say it is a bad trade now because they gave away their 1st round pick for Deion fricken' Branch. With the pats track record for 1st round picks it can already be considered a bad trade.
what are you talking about?
what can't i be serious about?

It looks like you had your heart set on whining about me before you really read the thread.

This was a serious thread and i wanted to talk about this trade and other terribles ones.

If you want me to post obnoxious crap i can, just say the word moron. I'm getting bored already;)

I don't think that giving up a (late) first rounder for a proven NFL player is a bad move.

Truth is, the draft is a crap-shoot. Even the canniest drafting teams don't hit 100 per cent. Indeed, in the first round it seems that there is a very hit and miss record (and teams have to tie a LOT of money up in those first round picks). For every Drew Bledsoe, there is a Rick Mirer, for every Richard Seymour a Johnathan Sullivan. The college game and the NFL are very different -- as is the the life of a professional sportsman and a college player.

Look at the Patriots. Their successful recent late first round picks include Dan Graham, Ben Watson, Logan Mankins. How many of them would you choose over Branch, straight up? And the Patriots' success rate has been incredible (no David Terrells!)

It may have been a reach to give up a first rounder for Branch, most obviously because they could probably have signed him in the off season for an extra couple of million dollars, but it wasn't a big reach, in my opinion.

Mike the Brit said:
I don't think that giving up a (late) first rounder for a proven NFL player is a bad move.

Truth is, the draft is a crap-shoot. Even the canniest drafting teams don't hit 100 per cent. Indeed, in the first round it seems that there is a very hit and miss record (and teams have to tie a LOT of money up in those first round picks). For every Drew Bledsoe, there is a Rick Mirer, for every Richard Seymour a Johnathan Sullivan. The college game and the NFL are very different -- as is the the life of a professional sportsman and a college player.

Look at the Patriots. Their successful recent late first round picks include Dan Graham, Ben Watson, Logan Mankins. How many of them would you choose over Branch, straight up? And the Patriots' success rate has been incredible (no David Terrells!)

It may have been a reach to give up a first rounder for Branch, most obviously because they could probably have signed him in the off season for an extra couple of million dollars, but it wasn't a big reach, in my opinion.

Agreed and I stated that at the beginning of my post. What makes the trade for me is the Pats ability to find talented, affordable receivers.

Had the Pats not found some decent replacements, they would have had to depend on Troy and a rookie and might have blown a season or two waiting for a #1.

With Gaffney still in reserve, I like our WR corps and that makes it a good trade for me.

Last edited:
Kdo5 said:

I think that you should be banned due to a low level of reading comprehension...you might what to re-read his opening thread...(cough cough moron)

Sorry Keggie, I didnt carefully read your post. I agree. ;)

Keegs said:

But i am only 23, I have missed many trades when i was younger im sure that were also terrible....

but what do you guys thinK?

do you know of any other trades just as bad?
I don't think it was that bad for the Seahawks. A lot of first round picks like Ryan Leaf, even Heisman winners like Jason White, Eric Crouch, Danny Wuerffel, Chris Weinke, Gino Torretta, Charlie Ward totally bust. Branch is a known quantity who is not going to bust, in fact is an excellent receiver. Also, Seattle obviously wanted to go for it all this year, so they opted for an experienced producer rather than wait a whole year for the pick. Of course, they probably won't win it all, but can't say they didn't try.

Kdo5 said:
Sorry Keggie, I didnt carefully read your post. I agree. ;)
it's cool

i just love it how we got so much for him....
other teams and fans of those teams have to be pissed about it.
when was our last 1st round bust? Chris Canty?

Last edited:
H'mm Wilfork for Kyle Boller wasn't the smartest trade...

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes