PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Hobbs traded to Philadelphia [mergedx2]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Totally not sad to see Ellis go. Liked him on KR but not at 2.5 mil.

Every time the ball was thrown to his side I'd block my eyes.

Couldn't stand the showboating after tackling someone 15-20 plus yards downfield.

Even so....his value as a KR and nickel or dime db is more than 2 5th's IMHO.

Let the Darius Butler era begin. That kid has true CB skills. With some coaching he'll be OUTSTANDING.

Probably not. If Bodden has a good year he's going to be very hard to resign. I think we'll enter the 2010 season with Springs/Butler/Wheatley/Wilhite and a mid round/JAG pickup(s) next offseason.

Springs is too old to be in our long term plans. Since all the other DB's will be cap friendly, I see paying for Bodden. If anything, Springs gets cut before letting Bodden go.

Yeah but some are saying he'll be IR'd this year. I could see Maroney back there give him enough opportunities in open field and he's bound to break a few.
Wasn't Wheatley one of the top KRs his senior year?

I'm kinda sad about this.

Probably not. If Bodden has a good year he's going to be very hard to resign. I think we'll enter the 2010 season with Springs/Butler/Wheatley/Wilhite and a mid round/JAG pickup(s) next offseason.

They probably felt the situation with Hobbs was similar. Bill won't resign corners with a market who want market deals. I just hope the transition to nobody who's played a season here goes seemlessly...without Rodney to even get 'em started off on the right foot.

Hobbs was a little work horse here in the return game and the secondary. He got dinged up a lot due to his size, but he seldom missed a series let alone a game. Lots of kneejerk fans here focus on the plays he didn't make, often through no fault of his own, and totally ignore all the plays he did make.

This is the link to his bio on the team website, not that his critics will be bothered...

Ellis Hobbs III - Official New England Patriots Biography

Decent trade, I was wondering who was going to be the odd man out at CB when training camp rolled around. Hobbs was good but replaceable. Glad we got some extra picks out of it. They haven't said anything on ESPN or the draft ticker though.

Springs is too old to be in our long term plans. Since all the other DB's will be cap friendly, I see paying for Bodden. If anything, Springs gets cut before letting Bodden go.

I like Bodden more too but Springs is signed through 2011. Given the growing market for CB's I just think Bodden will get a sizeable contract somewhere if he has a good year.

Re: Ellis Hobbs to Philadelphia

Not true. Wheatley and Wilhite ran a 4.38 and 4.37 at the Combine.

I worded it incorrectly when I said high. Sorry. That's exactly what I meant, though.

i have to admit i'm not 'so surprised' and with Bodden, Springs, Weathley, Wilhite, Butler we have depth at CB

Wasn't Wheatley one of the top KRs his senior year?

Not sure to be honest. Interesting alternative though, I think we'll be fine at KR one way or another.

Re: Ellis Hobbs to Philadelphia

I think we were the 31st ranked secondary last year - and Hobbs has to shoulder a lot of that blame... our free agency moves more than the draft made this possible

I put the vast majority of that blame on a pass rush that could be timed with a sundial.

Honestly, they don't allow canes and walkers on the field?

Sad to see Ellis go, I feel he always gave his all. Really liked his effort.

Some here will be quite happy

Ellis was part of the team but over the last while everytime he was on the field I just thought to myself don't make a mistake Ellis. He made too many over the last while.

I think its good he is gone but still respect what he did a couple of seasons ago.

Last edited:
The big news here is the $2.5 million savings. Smart move. I like it.

Even with only a year left, I am disappointed by the news of this trade. Though undersized, I think that Hobbs is a better cornerback than many gave him credit for. More importantly, he is most certainly good enough and knows the defense well enough to be a sure bet to make the team this year, which can't be said of any fifth rounder.

Could this be to free up cap space for a certain DE from Carolina?:D

The big news here is the $2.5 million savings. Smart move. I like it.

Yeah, once the surprise of losing Hobbs so suddenly wears off, I think more people will understand that the true value came not from the draft picks we got in return, but from the money that we can now use to ink JT or JP if either of those deals goes down.

Last edited:
It's being reported on Espn and PFT now, FWIW.

I have mixed feelings on this. He was decent, but there are just bad memories of him...his actions in the SD game, which seemed to be the moment it became cool to hate the New England Patriots. His non penalty in the Colts game. Getting toasted by Plaxico at the end of The Game That Shall Not Be Named. All that goofy dancing after a tackle.

I don't hate him, but I am not crying over him being gone. He wasn't going to get resigned here, anyway.

I appreciated Hobbs. As I see it...

+ BB is definitely saying with this draft and trade that he wants a revamped defense
+ Hobbs was an avg CB starter in this league: the new FAs or last year's rookie CBs, the W twins, gotta step up while our '09 rook learns the game
+ Hobbs will be missed as a KR; the many contenders need to fill that void
+ Hobbs was a game day player playing thru injuries that would have benched most girly mon CBs
+ My belief is that BB knows EH III and realized that Hobbsie has Asante disease, an overvalued opinion of his worth and a desire to max out on the bucks over any other considerations. Feeling he was absolutely history after next season and definitely not having the career upside to be worth major bucks, BB took what he could get for a guy in the last year of his contract...not a lot
+ The $2.5M is obviously targeted for...something, contract extension funds (Wilfork), signing JT I'm (sceptical) or another team's vet cut late in camp and IR replacement funds.

Best wishes to Hobbs, a guy who played hard for the Pats and played to the best of his ability.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference