PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Hobbs traded to Philadelphia [mergedx2]

Status
Not open for further replies.
FINALLY, this guy is off our team.

Our pass rush wasn't great, but it's hard to generate a pass rush when it's 3rd and 4 and Hobbs is 10 yards off and the opposing team can just do a three step drop and complete a quick slant. Loved him as a KR but now that we have Butler and Lewis, we should be fine in that department.

Awesome news.

Yeah, once the surprise of losing Hobbs so suddenly wears off, I think more people will understand that the true value came not from the draft picks we got in return, but from the money that we can now use to ink JT or JP if either of those deals goes down.

I certainly think it has to Peppers coming in at this stage, we don't need to clear cap room for JT.

I certainly think it has to Peppers coming in at this stage, we don't need to clear cap room for JT.

Any Patriots transaction must be related to Peppers!

Hobbs would have been cut, to get 2 - 5's that we converted into the OG to me is a nice deal.

Not that this means anything, but I knew something was up when BB sent him to play with rookies/special teamers in a local charity police game.

O'Connell and Gostkowski, among Ventrone and others, were cool as hell to everybody. Ellis looked upset that he had to be there and shied away from me even when I joked with him. I was not impressed by his character and he was clearly in BB's doghouse.

I can't believe the sympathy for Hobbs around here. The guy cost Tom Brady 2 super bowls. I am elated we could get SOMETHING in return for this choke artist. I am ELATED!

Not that this means anything, but I knew something was up when BB sent him to play with rookies/special teamers in a local charity police game.

O'Connell and Gostkowski, among Ventrone and others, were cool as hell to everybody. Ellis looked upset that he had to be there and shied away from me even when I joked with him. I was not impressed by his character and he was clearly in BB's doghouse.

That's a bit disconcerting if true and speaks sadly to the mind set of the modern player. In the olden days Pats starters would play in these charity hoops events. My brother got smacked around by a few Pats players. Good, the dirty hoops player deserved it.

Now with Hobbs AND Samuel gone, the goats of AFC Championship and Super Bowl failures no longer reside in Foxboro. Those haunting visages no cannot hover over BB like an evil spectre (or is it Specter). That had to be killing him. Everyone's talked about the Asante departure, but he could NOT remain with the team after missing that INT of Eli in SB 42. He had the perfect season in his hands and just botched it. Hobbs gave up the late TD, so his execution could wait.

Now with Hobbs AND Samuel gone, the goats of AFC Championship and Super Bowl failures no longer reside in Foxboro. Those haunting visages no cannot hover over BB like an evil spectre (or is it Specter). That had to be killing him. Everyone's talked about the Asante departure, but he could NOT remain with the team after missing that INT of Eli in SB 42. He had the perfect season in his hands and just botched it. Hobbs gave up the late TD, so his execution could wait.

Once Brady is cut and replaced by O'Connell for missing that last second attempt, BB's revenge will be complete!

To be expected, I guess. Pats had a logjam at CB and by trading Hobbs, freed up over $2M in cap space. He always played with a lot of heart, but just wasn't a starting caliber corner.

I can't believe the sympathy for Hobbs around here. The guy cost Tom Brady 2 super bowls. I am elated we could get SOMETHING in return for this choke artist. I am ELATED!

The Hobbs apologists need to face the fact that Belichik sent this guy away for two 5th round picks. That says enough about what our coaches thought of his value. The guy was awful. THe only thing that could have made this better was if we traded him to an AFC East opponent so I could laugh at them whenever we played and HObbs gives up an easy first down.

It's being reported on Espn and PFT now, FWIW.

I have mixed feelings on this. He was decent, but there are just bad memories of him...his actions in the SD game, which seemed to be the moment it became cool to hate the New England Patriots. His non penalty in the Colts game. Getting toasted by Plaxico at the end of The Game That Shall Not Be Named. All that goofy dancing after a tackle.

I don't hate him, but I am not crying over him being gone. He wasn't going to get resigned here, anyway.

1. Troy Brown danced, Rosy Colvin danced, a lot of Patriots danced midfield after that game.

2. Why blame him for the Colts penalty?

3. Belichick sold out on the blitz on that play against the Giants. They didn't get to Eli in time.

The Hobbs apologists need to face the fact that Belichik sent this guy away for two 5th round picks. That says enough about what our coaches thought of his value. The guy was awful. THe only thing that could have made this better was if we traded him to an AFC East opponent so I could laugh at them whenever we played and HObbs gives up an easy first down.

That says a lot about what the value for an avg CB in the LAST YEAR of his contract is worth

Just heard that....2 5th rounds 137...141....WOW!!!

Ellis thanks for all you did.......and all that you didn't do (which is so many episodes of blown coverages and getting caught with your jock around your ankles....or getting burned like a piece of charcoal).........I never liked this guy as a player to be honest......and that lasting imprint of him being torched/out of position against Plaxico will never go away......But, this is a good "sign" for our secondary next year.......

1. Troy Brown danced, Rosy Colvin danced, a lot of Patriots danced midfield after that game.

2. Why blame him for the Colts penalty?

3. Belichick sold out on the blitz on that play against the Giants. They didn't get to Eli in time.

Right on. I gotta admit though that Asante was Dead To Me after not making the play that an $8M play making CB should make

Last edited:
Any possiblilty that we could have Sheldon Brown coming our way as a result of this. You would imagine it would be all done at once but he is eager to get out of Philly so maybe they are working out something there. Thats another possiblilty I'd imagine.

Any possiblilty that we could have Sheldon Brown coming our way as a result of this. You would imagine it would be all done at once but he is eager to get out of Philly so maybe they are working out something there. Thats another possiblilty I'd imagine.

This is like Groundhog Day with the KC Cassel trade where folks fantasized about some mysterious good fairy deal yet to come. Nevah happened.

someone want to explain what picks we got for Ellis? No one else is reporting this trade and picks 137 and 141 have already been selected by other teams!!!!:confused:

Those two 5ths (2) were packaged into a 4th that was higher than the 4th or better he'd be worth in 2011 comp if he was allowed to walk as a UFA in 2010. Hobbs shut the giants big WR down for most of that game. He had the only pick of the game, and was not the only CB to give up a TD or DB to find himself in an impossible position because the pass rush couldn't get Eli down...He set them up well in the return game as well, only for some reason the offense couldn't convert a third down to save their lives...

One of the things that really annoys me about fanboys is their overwhleming need to have scapegoats.

This is like Groundhog Day with the KC Cassel trade where folks fantasized about some mysterious good fairy deal yet to come. Nevah happened.

I'm just thinking up options that make sense. I really suspect that Peppers is coming to Foxboro but I was just thinking its also a possiblility although unlikely as it would normally all get tied up in one trade.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back