PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Hobbs traded to Philadelphia [mergedx2]

Status
Not open for further replies.
1. Troy Brown danced, Rosy Colvin danced, a lot of Patriots danced midfield after that game.

Ellis Hobbs is the one who was singled out. Just ask Philip Crybaby Rivers.

2. Why blame him for the Colts penalty?

He was in on the play. It's a bad memory. Hence...

3. Belichick sold out on the blitz on that play against the Giants. They didn't get to Eli in time.

Yes, I realize that. Still, again, he was the one targeted, and for the one time he wasn't playing 10 yards off of someone, he blew it. I'd say more about the play, but I have never watched the game again.

Replies in red.

I wish everyone would shut the hell up about how "Hobbs was awful". The scapegoating on here is atrocious!

The Hobbs apologists need to face the fact that Belichik sent this guy away for two 5th round picks. That says enough about what our coaches thought of his value. The guy was awful. THe only thing that could have made this better was if we traded him to an AFC East opponent so I could laugh at them whenever we played and HObbs gives up an easy first down.

Totally agree.

hes not the best CB in the NFL but hes not that bad 2 late round picks ? for one of the best kickreturners in the NFL the pats bring in about 40 DB every yers and he still wins the staring job he cant be that bad i know every one hates him because he give up the TD to plex in the SB but thats not hes falt BB D is about puting guys in the right place to make plays im i right puting 5.9 hobbs vs 6.5 plex is not puting him in a spot to make a play i know its frees up cap room but they are not going to get peppers and i dont think they are geting jason taylor so i just dont see this as a good move

Last edited:
That's a bit disconcerting if true and speaks sadly to the mind set of the modern player. In the olden days Pats starters would play in these charity hoops events. My brother got smacked around by a few Pats players. Good, the dirty hoops player deserved it.

It is very true, I got a few nice autographs to prove it.

O'Connell couldn't have been a nicer guy and he was very friendly and seemed like a guy I could talk to all day. I had a similar feeling with Gostkowski, but Hobbs just wanted to get home ASAP.

BB determines who goes, and I believe last year he had Kevin Faulk play as kind of a P.R. move for the marijuana thing. I don't think he wants to risk injury for a charity basketball game.

I know you guys won't agree...but when healthy...I thought he was the best cover corner on the team.

Hobbs needed too much of a cushion to be a cover corner. (I'm a season ticket holder who played safety in college so spend too much time watching defensive backfield at the game.) Hobbs' recovery speed is ok but bites too much on first of double moves.

Last edited:
Replies in red.

I really discount opinions from fans who don't have the guts to watch the film. Whichever choice Hobbs made you'd be faulting him. Blame the pass rush that couldn't stop Eli all the way down the field. Blame the CB who let an INT go right through his $9M mitts. Blame Rodney for not finding a way to defend a circus catch. Blame an OL that couldn't block for **** for three quarters. Or take the easy way out and blame the guy who played well all day on defense and ST and got hung out to dry on an ill conceived blitz on the last defensive play of the game.

Good move. Hobbs would've been gone by next season one way or the other. Overall he was an average starting CB who won't be difficult to replace.

He always played hard, but I'm not so sure he was the best influence on the team. Remember when it was reported on here that he allegedly told an Iowa State alumni meeting that he didn't enjoy playing in New England?

bb Hobbs, he was ok, but not great.

Well at least he and Asante are together now

I’m amazed at the conspicuous absence of our resident blowhard, who never misses an opportunity to call out others as idiots. Here are some of gems:

Originally Posted by TommyBrady12, “…when you have ellis hobbs as your best corner, you have to address that…”

DaBruinz response, “…Just because you and others like you underestimate Hobbs ability it doesn't mean that I do. Hobbs has proven he is a legitimate starter in the league….”

Originally posted by condon84, “…All year long, Hobbs got picked on by opposing teams and I feared that something like that was going to happen in the biggest moment, and when it did, it freaking sucked. That TD pass wasn't even competitive. How this guy still gets defended on this board for the past 4 years of mediocre play is mind boggling…”

DaBruinz response, “…People who know the game and who deal with all the facts defend Hobbs to people like you who ignore facts. Like Hobbs being injured (sports hernia, separated shoulder), but still playing….”

By themselves, these posts are harmless. But taken in the context of his constant demeaning of other posters, well let’s just say - you reap what you sow. Who can forget how he defended the status quo, ridiculing those who were desperate for an overhaul just prior to the WR revolution. His chastising including this ridiculousness:

Originally posted by dhamz, “…I'm assuming we will need to play that same defense or a team with the same type of defense again next year. It would be nice to have a better offense to combat it.”

DaBruinz response, “…The Pats don't need more talent on offense to have a better offense. That is what you are missing. If the Patriots work on their execution of plays, and then execute them during the game, they will be better….”

Well Belichick, obviously, agreed with us peons and not our resident blowhard.

Re: Ellis Hobbs to Philadelphia

He was serviceable. But I can't get his not turning his head-face guarding 06 penalty or falling down in 07 out of my mind.
'Cause everyone knows that you judge a player's four year career on two plays that you loved or two that you hated.

Face it: the best players make bone-headed plays, and bad players sometimes make great plays.

It's a body of work that counts. Hobbs was good enough to start, not good enough to star. He and Bodden are both good for one year with the Pats then they both are gone. Given we don't need both, BB figured that Bodden was a better player to keep for the one year while Butler grows into the position.

I really discount opinions from fans who don't have the guts to watch the film. Whichever choice Hobbs made you'd be faulting him. Blame the pass rush that couldn't stop Eli all the way down the field. Blame the CB who let an INT go right through his $9M mitts. Blame Rodney for not finding a way to defend a circus catch. Blame an OL that couldn't block for **** for three quarters. Or take the easy way out and blame the guy who played well all day on defense and ST and got hung out to dry on an ill conceived blitz on the last defensive play of the game.

I am not saying any of that is incorrect. Asante dropping that ball was inexcusable and the OL look pathetic (I refuse to blame Rodney...that catch was an act of God).

However, there is no need to make it personal by "discounting" my opinion because I don't have any "guts". Things happened on that day that I don't feel like reliving, and I know rewatching that game would bring up alot of old crap I don't feel like dealing with.

You like Ellis, and that's fine. I am not a fan, and am glad we got something for him before his inevitable departure at the end of this coming season.

Is this a superbowl thread or a Ellis Hobbs gets traded thread? Maybe I clicked the wrong link.:D

I wish everyone would shut the hell up about how "Hobbs was awful". The scapegoating on here is atrocious!
You haven't seen the worst of it. The first time Bodden or Butler allow a TD these same doofusses will be screaming that we let our starting CB go.

I've been at work all day and missed the action but the idea that the Pats were going to trade Hobbs crossed my mind last night while going over the draft - with Butler added someone wasn't going to make the roster and I doubted it would be one of the kids that was let go, nor would cutting Bodden after just signing him seem to click either. The light bulb went off - Hobbs is trade bait. The fact Hobbs was going to be a free agent made all the difference obviously but two fifth round picks still seem low. I wasn't a big fan but the guy can play.

Last edited:
Is this a superbowl thread or a Ellis Hobbs gets traded thread? Maybe I clicked the wrong link.:D
I'm sad to see Ellis leave, he played better then many choose to recognize. I was puzzled by the two fifths until I could get back online and check patscap, $2.25M added to the salary cap, plus the two fifths makes more sense. BB also heads off a potentially unpleasant offseason with Hobbs' UFA status converted to RFA status by an uncapped 2010 disrupting his chance at a big pay day. I wish Ellis well, now we get to see what the new youngsters can do to help the team.

I'm sad to see Ellis leave, he played better then many choose to recognize. I was puzzled by the two fifths until I could get back online and check patscap, $2.25M added to the salary cap, plus the two fifths makes more sense. BB also heads off a potentially unpleasant offseason with Hobbs' UFA status converted to RFA status by an uncapped 2010 disrupting his chance at a big pay day. I wish Ellis well, now we get to see what the new youngsters can do to help the team.

Oh, wow. Forgot all about that. Great point.

Those two 5ths (2) were packaged into a 4th that was higher than the 4th or better he'd be worth in 2011 comp if he was allowed to walk as a UFA in 2010. Hobbs shut the giants big WR down for most of that game. He had the only pick of the game, and was not the only CB to give up a TD or DB to find himself in an impossible position because the pass rush couldn't get Eli down...He set them up well in the return game as well, only for some reason the offense couldn't convert a third down to save their lives...

One of the things that really annoys me about fanboys is their overwhleming need to have scapegoats.

Take it easy man. We are all fans here.

Regardless, you have to look at the body of work. Don't cherry pick one game because I could pick many games that Ellis was terrible. If you were one of fans that were happy with his performance, then I really don't know what else to say. Proof is in the pudding. He is gone for two late round picks.

You haven't seen the worst of it. The first time Bodden or Butler allow a TD these same doofusses will be screaming that we let our starting CB go.

This isn't about the "doofusses" on this board, unless you consider Belichick a doofuss. He had enough of Hobbs. What's with the name calling? Should someone call you a doofuss for implicity defending Hobbs in the face of Belichick's rebuke?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back