PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Hobbs traded to Philadelphia [mergedx2]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Ellis Hobbs to Philadelphia

Not a good trade in my opinion. Sure, the Pats are deep at CB now. Bt Hobbs was a gamer and one of the best return men in the NFL. The Pats have little need for extra picks. Inexplicable.

I liked Ellis. I appreciate guys who can multitask and play reasonably well through injuries. He should be a good fit in Philly opposite Asante and behind a commited pass rush. Sure hope Springs holds up now and Wheatley can stay on the field and Butler can get on the field as a rookie...

Sad to see Ellis go, but more as a KR than a CB. I think Wilhite showed promise. I think Bodden and Wheatley/Springs will start, with Butler getting plenty of playing time as well.

I liked Ellis. I appreciate guys who can multitask and play reasonably well through injuries. He should be a good fit in Philly opposite Asante and behind a commited pass rush. Sure hope Springs holds up now and Wheatley can stay on the field and Butler can get on the field as a rookie...

We have Bodden as well.

Good riddance Ellis. The Pats have drafted a bunch of versatile guys that can take his place in the return game.

Very surprised. Never hated Ellis. Thought he was put in the position to be a #1... but was just misplaced in that role.

Asante & Ellis : together again.

I have not liked Hobbs ever since the Super Bowl. I watched him give up that TD that helped the Giants win the game, and then last year that performance continued. He is a good return man, but he is not a good corner for THIS SYSTEM, IMHO.

Not a good trade in my opinion. Sure, the Pats are deep at CB now. Bt Hobbs was a gamer and one of the best return men in the NFL. The Pats have little need for extra picks. Inexplicable.

Tate replaces Hobbs return ability.

And Hobbs was a nickel at best with Butler and Wilhite breathing down his neck.

Good move to dump his salary now to make cap space for future acquisitions. And don't forget they got an OG to boot.

Sad to see Ellis go, but more as a KR than a CB. I think Wilhite showed promise. I think Bodden and Wheatley/Springs will start, with Butler getting plenty of playing time as well.

Wilhite and Wheatley showed promise and they both run in the low 4.x range. Our secondary is stacked and we have others who can run kickoffs, although Hobbs seemed to excel. Honestly, even though I feel we didn't get enough, I'm not terribly sad to see him go. He was never going to become shutdown guy or even a guy who could consistently be matched up one-on-one and win most of the times. That's what we need if we want to get back to the complex blitz schemes that allow us to confuse and get to opposing QBs. We've got some really good ones on the schedule this year (Manning, Flacco, Ryan, etc.).

Last edited:
Savings from 'releasing' Hobbs: $2,250,000

That, by the way, was the fourth-highest available cap savings from a trade or release on the entire team.

That gives the Pats more cap money - not Peppers money, but definitely Taylor money.

Really don't like this trade at all. I would have rather had Hobbs here for a year on the cheap than just get those picks for him.

As much as I liked the way our secondary was going this year with Chung and Butler, this is a step backward I think.

I don't care what you think of Hobbs as a #1 or #2.....he was able to play at a position where we get hit with injuries every year. This is not an area I would cut this early in the year.

I hope BB has some good use for the picks......not like we didn't have enough alread in this draft.....even with the trades into next year.

Great move if only for the benefit of none of us having to utter the words "F'ng Ellis Hobbs" at any point next season. BB has now put the finishing touches on the secondary makeover by getting rid of this underachieving clown.

See Ya Hobbs and let the door hit you on the way out.

who ll be our cb now? delta and wlihite?

great job bill.

pur secondary is....

wilhite-chung-brenda-butler:D

Really don't like this trade at all. I would have rather had Hobbs here for a year on the cheap than just get those picks for him.

As much as I liked the way our secondary was going this year with Chung and Butler, this is a step backward I think.

I don't care what you think of Hobbs as a #1 or #2.....he was able to play at a position where we get hit with injuries every year. This is not an area I would cut this early in the year.

I hope BB has some good use for the picks......not like we didn't have enough alread in this draft.....even with the trades into next year.

2.5 million is a lot to pay for a nickel or dime CB.

Savings from 'releasing' Hobbs: $2,250,000

That, by the way, was the fourth-highest available cap savings from a trade or release on the entire team.

That gives the Pats more cap money - not Peppers money, but definitely Taylor money.

I think it's rather evident that BB hated his secondary and wants to turn it over. Using Free agents and last year and this years rookies.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Back