PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Help From Skins Fans

Status
Not open for further replies.
Many other NFL teams have learned by watching. The Redskins are shockingly one of the only teams that stubbornly swims against that current.
This is not necessarily true in the past couple of years. The Skins are a surprisingly deep team at every position. The problem with the O-line injuries is that not only are the stars injured but also the backups and even a backup to the backup at OT.

Does Gibbs, at this point, have full decision-making power over personnel?

It was supposed to be his team to do whatever he wanted with it. That being said, i really get the sense that he has zippy control over anything. He might very well have the power, but it doesn't seem like he is getting the response.

This is not necessarily true in the past couple of years. The Skins are a surprisingly deep team at every position. The problem with the O-line injuries is that not only are the stars injured but also the backups and even a backup to the backup at OT.

We almost had to resort to putting in like a 3rd or 4th string DT in there last week. But to be honest, i was watching Alexander out there on special teams, and he had a couple of really nice strong blocks, perhaps he should get his shot on the O-line.

Last edited:
It was supposed to be his team to do whatever he wanted with it. That being said, i really get the sense that he has zippy control over anything. He might very well have the power, but it doesn't seem like he is getting the response.

That's what I suspected, but wasn't sure.

That's what I suspected, but wasn't sure.

Something is horribly wrong when your players contradict your coach in nearly every Press Conference. Sad to say it, but old Joe really needs to consider Nascar as his permanent position. This is coming from someone who saw when coach Joe was first hired, I was 8, but i still remember how excited my parents were.

Last edited:
Thanks, Skins72 for some good analysis - - keep it coming, it's appreciated.

I sympathize with your team's injuries, but that kind of thing falls on deaf ears in New England.

This year the Patriots were 4-0 and had a BETTER points per game avg than now without their starting Safety and dominant DE.

In the 2004 postseason, they beat the two Co-MVP's McNair and Manning (by a score of 20-3 in a year in which he set the NFL TD Passing record) without their two starting CB's. They subbed for them with a 4th rounder, 3 street free agents and an 8th rounder who happened to be a WR.

Teams should PLAN for injuries and manage accordingly. This is the fundamental wrong about the Dan Snyder School of Fantasy Football Drafting. It doesn't matter as much how spectacular your top 5 stars are. What's more important is how good your bottom 15 are.

Many other NFL teams have learned by watching. The Redskins are shockingly one of the only teams that stubbornly swims against that current.

I understand that injuries happen everywhere around the league, but if you lose 3 offensive lineman it tends to put a damper on both your running game and your passing game. I believe the strength of a teams OL is the most important aspect of the team.

Now the St. Louis Rams have lost 2 Lineman and are 0-7. The Skins are 4-2 with 2 OL'men down. In the green bay game we lost three lineman including the center and the two backups that were in for Janson and Randy Thomas.

The Skins have plenty of depth, but our depth is strong on the defensive side of the ball as well as the offensive line depth is pretty strong. However with all of the injuries on the offensive line we are now pretty thin.

I'll post offense later if anyone is interested.

That was really great stuff, thanks for posting. It's great when opposing fans come in and really contribute (as opposed to the normal trolling jibber jabber).

thanks bobzmuda. look forward to what you have to say about the offense. if they can control some clock it will definitely work to your advantage. keep our d on the field and the bradymoss off it...

Geez guess my offensive analysis was not needed.

Geez guess my offensive analysis was not needed.

Lets hear it.

Solid analysis. BB has always had good things to say about Fletcher-Baker calling him one of the more productive players in the league.

I think we've seen that no matter how well you can cover the key is getting pressure on Brady. No team has been able to do this consistently and by your breakdown it doesn't sound like you think they can.

I can not really add that much to what has been said but,

-Our QB does not yet have full control of the offense, he is still not permitted to audible at the line.

-We have had poor clock management and we have a joke for a two minute offense, Pathetic really.

-We also do not adjust well to the other teams adjustments. We always have a solid gameplan coming in and I expect a very close first half. However, unless something changes this week, the second halves have been owned by the opposition.

Hopefully getting Rabach back at center will relieve some of the pressure on the coaching staff to not loss the game. It seems our gameplan is to not give up the big play which limits our creativity and risk taking. Defensively we have excellent open field tacklers in the secondary and they do a great job of limiting the YAC, this philosophy has worked for the D but has led to the offensive craptatude that we have witnessed this year. If the offense can at least improve to a average offense then we can be a very dangerous team. We have the talent and perhaps this is the week they improve but we will see.

Wow. Great post, Bob. Please do share your rundown of the offense.
Offensively, what are not what we were at the end of last year. We lost our starting right tackle, Jon Jansen for the season in week one. Then we lost our starting right guard, Randy Thomas until at least December is week 2. Last week we played without our starting center Casey Rabach because of a groin pull. He will be back this week. The backups are adequate pass blockers and average (at best) run blockers. We are praying that we don't loose another lineman, especially Chris Samuels. That explains why our running game has gotten worst (after week 1) as the season has gone on.

The tight end "Chris Cooley" is a very good player that rarely gets tackled by one person. He is a good route runner but they have been using him a lot to help our with the right side of the OL.

The WR are talented but I don't think they are 100%. Moss has not been himself this year since complaining about hamstring issues and Randel El was setting things on fire before he got a slight hamstring pull against Detroit two weeks ago. Still Randel El appears healthier than Moss. The 3rd receiver could be any one from James Thrash, Brandon Lloyd, or Keenan McCardel. Non of them scare anybody but the fans somehow feel that Brandon Lloyd is way under used.

We are VERY HAPPY with Jason Campbell. While only having something like 14 starts, he is very calm and cool, smart, never gets flustered, and has a very good arm. His strength is throwing the ball down the field which is why Skins fans are so frustrated. The coaching staff plays it too close to the vest for us. We have seen Jason throw the ball and we see unlimited potential. They just won't let him play. Mabye this week they will feel like they have nothing to loose. The fans want to go down with an empty gun.

The running backs have had a hard time with the OL injuries. Clinton Portis is just rounding into game shape (didn't play or practice in pre-season) and Ladel Betts hasn't gotten many carries because we have been unable in most games to keep the ball long enough to get him his carries. Mike Sellers is a BEAST of a fullback. He may get 3-5 carries but is mostly Clintons body guard.

Us Skins fans just want to see what happens when this team plays to the poential we know that they have. We are 4-2 and have not really played that well. We still feel like we can frustrate you guys enough to at least make the game interesting.

. Clinton Portis is just rounding into game shape (didn't play or practice in pre-season) and Ladel Betts hasn't gotten many carries because we have been unable in most games to keep the ball long enough to get him his carries.

AM 980 The Team keeps replaying the Clinton Portis quote about next year looking forward to being healthy but "not playin' any of those pre-season games". Sounds Iversonian. Put that together with his refusal to return calls from Gibbs when Gibbs came aboard and wanted to get together and you have a pretty good picture of this guy's makeup.

Not a Patriot-type player.

Betts and Sellers are the grownups in that backfield. They seem to always exceed or at least meet expectations. Portis tends to be a hit or miss - - depending on how prepared he decided to be that week.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes