PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Guys its not over lets stand strong THIS IS A CHAMPIONSHIP SEASON

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good thing we have Bennett

I swear to god such a bone headed call to even play Gronk against the Jets even when they first announced they were playing Gronk against the Jet I know it was stupid and before that I suggested sitting Gronk out against the Jets/Rams and bring him back against the Ravens and if they would of done that guess what? healthy Gronk I swear if I could put in an application for GM or assistant gm this team would always be in the right direction or any other team

if a routine fall while reaching out for a pass gave gronk a herniated disc, then there was nothing stopping it from happening. it was going to happen at some point.

you guys do realize that outside of about 4 games this year, Gronkowski really hasnt been a huge factor. the first 4 games he caught 1 pass due to his hamstring, put together a string of great games. then came the lung and then the back. and its not like our offense fell apart. Bennett when healthy did a pretty good gronk impression.

its not a coincidence that belicheck went out and traded for bennett, signed hogan, drafted mitchell. he knows his seasons in 2011, 2012 and 2013 all ended because of gronkowskis injuries and because the offense was so realiant on him. in 2013 we were throwing to austin collie and matthew mulligan in the acfcg.

he still has enough to be a dominant offense with what we have. we have to accept sadly that gronkowski is more of a luxury at this point. he cant stay on the field.

doing this from memory, as i don't know if there's a way to see previous odds

we were at around a +300 to win the super bowl yesterday. now we're +400 (tied with dallas)

we were around +110 to win the AFC champ yesterday. at +160 now (still way above the rest of the AFC)
Looks like bovada finally updated their Super Bowl odds.

They went from:
Pats +240 Dallas +400 shortly after the news to Pats +275 Dallas +325 today.

A reaction of "Oh my f*cking God" to Gronk being out for 8 weeks makes someone a "chicken little" ?

What?????????????????????????

I guess you're prone to over-reaction, given all the question marks, and dropping an f-bomb and cursing when a player with a huge history of being injured goes out for the season yet again. What is that history? Well...
  • 2008 — Missed three games at Arizona because of mononucleosis and strep throat.
  • 2009 — Missed his entire junior year at Arizona after undergoing surgery for a bulging disk in his back.
  • 2011 — Sprained an ankle and exited the Patriots’ playoff loss to the Jets in January.
  • 2012 — Broke his left forearm blocking an extra point in a win over the Colts in November. Underwent surgery and missed five games.
  • 2013 — Broke the same forearm in January in a playoff win over Houston and missed the Patriots’ loss in the next round to the Ravens.
  • 2013 — Diagnosed with a fractured vertebra, which was operated on in June. Missed the entire preseason and six regular-season games.
  • 2013 — Tore the ACL and MCL in his right knee Dec. 8, missing nine games. It was later learned that he suffered a concussion on the same play.
  • 2015 — Took a hit to his right knee against the Broncos and was carted off the field. Missed one game.
  • 2016 — Missed the first two games of the season with a hamstring issue, and missed the game against San Francisco Nov. 20 with a chest injury.
Ref: Rob Gronkowski’s injury history - The Boston Globe

And BSPN ( Revisiting Rob Gronkowski's injury history with the Patriots ) gives us more details. Here's their run-down of just this year alone:
Gronkowski reportedly injured a pectoral muscle in the offseason, but he was available on the first day of training camp. He injured a hamstring in a joint practice with the Bears on Aug. 15, sidelining him for the first two games of the season (2-0) and limiting him in his first two games upon his return. After a sensational four-game stretch, Gronkowski then suffered a pulmonary contusion after absorbing a big hit from Seahawks safety Earl Thomas on Nov. 13 and missed the next week’s game (a win) before returning against the Jets on Nov. 27. Now he’s not expected to return for the rest of the season because of a lower-back injury

Did you not notice that he gets injured a lot and most of these injuries involve missing many games? Did you not realize the reason he was available to the Patriots in the 2nd round despite being so talented is because he missed his entire junior year at AZ due to a back injury? Given all this, including two previous back surgeries, is it really such a shock that Gronk is out for the season yet again due to a back injury?

And for the record, the chicken little comment wasn't directed at you, it was in response to the post above it, the first one in the thread, calling for people to recognize that this team has lots of other talented players and is in a great position to have a "CHAMPIONSHIP SEASON". It seems you were so busy overreacting that you lost the context of my post.

Last edited:
  • 2011 — Sprained an ankle and exited the Patriots’ playoff loss to the Jets in January.

I think you are confusing 2010 season (loss to Jets in Divisional Round in early 2011) with the 2011 season (loss to Giants in SB in early 2012--Gronk's ankle twisted by Bernard Pollard in the AFCCG against the Ravens).

he's not going to last very long in this league based on his physical style of play. he's one tough SOB but he's injury prone.

Time to go after a big physical Durable number 1 WR in free agency who can win one on one battles and make tough catches in traffic. He can replace gronks production when gronk is out because gronk can't stay on the field

The defense is too flawed this deep into the season. The Pats will have the 1 or 2 seed and a bye but the will probably end up losing the Championship Game this year.

We can still do it. We have other good players that can step up. More importantly, the defense needs to figure something out and put it together. Game-planning has a lot to do with it since we don't have the raw talent on D, we need to be strategic. But we have solid role players that can get the job done, similar to the 2001 team.

you guys do realize that outside of about 4 games this year, Gronkowski really hasnt been a huge factor. the first 4 games he caught 1 pass due to his hamstring, put together a string of great games. then came the lung and then the back. and its not like our offense fell apart. Bennett when healthy did a pretty good gronk impression.

its not a coincidence that belicheck went out and traded for bennett, signed hogan, drafted mitchell. he knows his seasons in 2011, 2012 and 2013 all ended because of gronkowskis injuries and because the offense was so realiant on him. in 2013 we were throwing to austin collie and matthew mulligan in the acfcg.

he still has enough to be a dominant offense with what we have. we have to accept sadly that gronkowski is more of a luxury at this point. he cant stay on the field.

I said this exact thing last night. The truth is the team hasn't actually had Gronk all that much this year anyways. Is it a loss? Of course it is. Is it season ending? Not even close. Watch how they change up with Dion back. We saw a little of the him and White playing together and coming out of the backfield last week. I think they start doing more of this.

While Gronk created mismatches with either slower LBs or small Ss, those two will create a different level of mismatches coming out of the backfield and going in opposite directions. Teams will have to decide to cover them both with LBs (in which case they outrun them) or bring up a S (which leaves the middle open for Edelman or Danny). This also means defenses have fewer options to rush Brady which will give him more time to go downfield.

we have TB we can still win it

My gut feeling is we still play in AFCCG. With the exception of Denver, I think we have a decent chance of winning remaining games. I am not undemining Gronk's loss or taking our opponents for granted. I just feel we have enough talented players on the rosters and trust our coaches to game plan each week to best suit their abilities.

We can definitely make it to SB too if we play AFCCG at home.

I know I had my doubts, especially on here but as Patriot fans, the world is against us and after the time I spent watching this team battle adversity, we are in the driver seat because unlike other years we have more than enough weapons to sustain us (Edelman, Bennett, Amendola, Hogan, Mitchell, Lewis, White, we can win a Super Bowl with that offense, the next few weeks of the season will be tuff but come playoff time we will get the ball rolling, we still beat Ravens/Broncos imo, this situation will give this team that rare spark that always takes us to the promise land, oh and if we make it to the Super Bowl he will be able to play and I dont see any bulldozing godzilla football teams in the AFC so we are fine

Your optimism is both admirable and amusing. I wish I could be this innocent again.

But I'm not, and I know what I see when I see it.

I guess you're prone to over-reaction, given all the question marks, and dropping an f-bomb and cursing when a player with a huge history of being injured goes out for the season yet again. What is that history? Well...
  • 2008 — Missed three games at Arizona because of mononucleosis and strep throat.
  • 2009 — Missed his entire junior year at Arizona after undergoing surgery for a bulging disk in his back.
  • 2012 — Broke his left forearm blocking an extra point in a win over the Colts in November. Underwent surgery and missed five games.
  • 2013 — Broke the same forearm in January in a playoff win over Houston and missed the Patriots’ loss in the next round to the Ravens.
  • 2013 — Diagnosed with a fractured vertebra, which was operated on in June. Missed the entire preseason and six regular-season games.
  • 2013 — Tore the ACL and MCL in his right knee Dec. 8, missing nine games. It was later learned that he suffered a concussion on the same play.
  • 2015 — Took a hit to his right knee against the Broncos and was carted off the field. Missed one game.
  • 2016 — Missed the first two games of the season with a hamstring issue, and missed the game against San Francisco Nov. 20 with a chest injury.
Ref: Rob Gronkowski’s injury history - The Boston Globe

And BSPN ( Revisiting Rob Gronkowski's injury history with the Patriots ) gives us more details. Here's their run-down of just this year alone:

Did you not notice that he gets injured a lot and most of these injuries involve missing many games? Did you not realize the reason he was available to the Patriots in the 2nd round despite being so talented is because he missed his entire junior year at AZ due to a back injury? Given all this, including two previous back surgeries, is it really such a shock that Gronk is out for the season yet again due to a back injury?

And for the record, the chicken little comment wasn't directed at you, it was in response to the post above it, the first one in the thread, calling for people to recognize that this team has lots of other talented players and is in a great position to have a "CHAMPIONSHIP SEASON". It seems you were so busy overreacting that you lost the context of my post.

The only person overreacting here is you.

How you're taking issue with people being shocked/disappointed/pissed about news of the team's All-Pro #1 weapon being done for the season out of absolutely nowhere --- is beyond me.

The defense is too flawed this deep into the season. The Pats will have the 1 or 2 seed and a bye but the will probably end up losing the Championship Game this year.
Who do you think comes into Foxboro and beats us?

The only person overreacting here is you.

How you're taking issue with people being shocked/disappointed/pissed about news of the team's All-Pro #1 weapon being done for the season out of absolutely nowhere --- is beyond me.

The thing I'm doing is pointing out that the thread starter's hope for people to accept it's not over and we still have a championship level team was not at all likely, and I'm being proven correct.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft