PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Guys, can we really do it? What needs to change?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think if the D can play to its strengths (youth/athleticism - is that even a thing I can finally say??) and the O-Line can get their crap together or even get BETTER (Light/Mankins/Koppen/Kaczur/Vollmer), this team has a chance. Lack of talent is not what's going to hold us back, that's for sure.

Nice attempt to add credence to your opinion -- not facts -- by wrapping it inside a faux-Belichickian aura.

Sorry, I don't want to write an essay on what the Pats should do to fix their problems. I just don't think the Pats have the players and coaches to fix it in '09. Like in '05, '06 and '07, they will find a way to lose in the playoffs. That's just my opinion from what I've observed this season.

Last edited:
Sorry, I don't want to write an essay on what the Pats should do to fix their problems. I just don't think the Pats have the players and coaches to fix it in '09. Like in '05, '06 and '07, they will find a way to lose in the playoffs. That's just my opinion from what I've observed this season.

Save yourself the misery of writing an essay because it will save everyone else from infinately greater misery of reading it.

A few points:

Since 2000, only one #1 seed has won the Superbowl
5 of the past 8 #1 seeds were "one and done"

At this point last year, the Giants/ Panthers/ Titans/ Colts were the toast of the league.

The Steelers were blown out in Tennessee. The Cardinals were blown out 47-7 in week 16.

In 2007, the Giants were humiliated in week 15 by Washington then won in Buffalo before losing in week 17.

In 2006, Indianapolis lost 3 of the last 4 while displaying historically bad defense. It mattered little because nobody could compete in the AFC with San Diego and Baltimore.

In 2005, the Steelers were 7-5 and on a 3 game losing streak. Everyone knew the Colts were going undefeated.

The fixation this board has with despair seems to made everyone unable to consider an alternative to last Sunday. Look at the second half prorated for a game:

Pats 26 points/466 yards offense/ 34:35 minutes TOP while scoring on 4 of the last 5 drives.

Panthers 6 points/ 180 yards offense/ 25:25 minutes TOP.

Since the fixation is on the bad, maybe the story is of a team that played poorly in the first half but re-focused in the second half for a hard fought victory over a talented but under performing team.

This team has the talent to beat anybody.

Meanwhile, the last 10 years has shown the team hoisting the Lombardi is the team that overcame December travails to focus for success in January.

If this team can play solid and as a unit through out the remainder of their games, starting with a win at Buffalo, anything can happen. Teams don't fear the Pats, but I don't think any team really wants to face them come playoffs.

Save yourself the misery of writing an essay because it will save everyone else from infinately greater misery of reading it.

A few points:

At this point last year, the Giants/ Panthers/ Titans/ Colts were the toast of the league.

The Steelers were blown out in Tennessee. The Cardinals were blown out 47-7 in week 16.

In 2007, the Giants were humiliated in week 15 by Washington then won in Buffalo before losing in week 17.

In 2006, Indianapolis lost 3 of the last 4 while displaying historically bad defense. It mattered little because nobody could compete in the AFC with San Diego and Baltimore.

In 2005, the Steelers were 7-5 and on a 3 game losing streak. Everyone knew the Colts were going undefeated.

The fixation this board has with despair seems to made everyone unable to consider an alternative to last Sunday. Look at the second half prorated for a game:

Pats 26 points/466 yards offense/ 34:35 minutes TOP while scoring on 4 of the last 5 drives.

Since the fixation is on the bad, maybe the story is of a team that played poorly in the first half but re-focused in the second half for a hard fought victory over a talented but under performing team.

Meanwhile, the last 10 years has shown the team hoisting the Lombardi is the team that overcame December travails to focus for success in January.

Reasoned,rational-optimism...............nothing wrong with that........plus one and a very Merry Christmas to you,brother.

I don't get all the Naysayers. We're 8-5. Besides one blowout, we've stomped the dregs, beaten some good teams, and lost a few close games to top teams. We must have set the record for playing the most undefeated teams in a season, no?

Anyway, like others posted before me, we just need to get there. Health is always an issue. One cluster of injuries at the wrong time or position and its all over. But that can be said for any other team as well.

In my opinion BB is using a 'Baptism by Fire' approach with the D. Using our lead (in the Win column) to be aggressive with, and molding the D into a battle tested unit as quickly as he can. The results could have been better, but would you rather now have a defensive unit that sits back passively but might have won some of those games. Or instead, one that lost a couple games, but is growing into a disruptive and take-away style of D? I think the latter, and our D is better going forward because of it. So on that side of the ball, we must continue to learn, improve and gel.

On O, the pieces are obviously there, but we should become a little more unpredictable with play-calling and formations.

And lastly, on a specific fan-boy level - Let's put Vollmer back next to Mankins and see if we can unleash some sort of twisted twin-headed run blocking beast!

Reasoned,rational-optimism...............nothing wrong with that........plus one and a very Merry Christmas to you,brother.

Ditto that, nice post patsfaninpittsburgh.

The only thing that remains to be seen is IF they can build some momentum down the stretch. If they can indeed do that with some impressive wins in the next 3 weeks + get a little luck in the seeding/other teams, I certainly believe we have a shot.

I don't remember this board being as down in 2005 when we went 10-6. I think we all believed we could still win, even though we had somewhat of an off year. I guess it was due to the more recent success of the prior SB's. I just remember a lot of people were pretty confident that we'd go to DEN and win that year.

Off-topic: It's a pleasure to watch these 'yinzers' freaking out about their Steelers every week, that has taken away from some of the sting of some recent Pats losses (l live in South Fayette)

A few points:

:blahblah::blahblah::blahblah: That is all read. Year in and year out, you guys on this board try to come up with any little glimmer of hope to think the Pats can win the super bowl when they won't. They have proven this in the last 5 years when they should've won two more in that span. Don't spend to much time and energy on the Pats because they will disappoint you and find a way to lose in the playoffs like they did in '05-'07. Their coaching is bad and their players aren't nearly as good as a lot of people on this board seem to believe. See you in January when the cycle or insanity on this message board begins once again.

Last edited:
:blahblah::blahblah::blahblah: That is all read. Year in and year out, you guys on this board try to come up with any little glimmer of hope to think the Pats can win the super bowl when they won't. They have proven this in the last 5 years when they should've won two more in that span. Don't spend to much time and energy on the Pats because they will disappoint you and find a way to lose in the playoffs like they did in '05-'07. Their coaching is bad and their players aren't nearly as good as a lot of people on this board seem to believe. See you in January when the cycle or insanity on this message board begins once again.

Dude, you hit the nail on the head with your description of this team over the last couple of years. Many of the members of this message board are looking at this year's team through the "Rose Sunglasses" of the past. The "Under-achievement" of this team is starting to match the "Over-achievement" of our 2001 team.

This team is DONE this year, but the window of opportunity for the next year is still there. . But for 2009----D...O...N...E--the flaws are innumerable it's hard to believe this team is 8-5---but then again, we really do play in a poor division. I'm so numbed with the poor, passive play calling by Dean Pees that it's hard to remain optimistic about this year. As usual so many guys are injured, we can't convert clutch 3rd downs, we bomb it on 2nd and 1, we don't cover anyone, we dont touch the qb, we don't believe in kicking FGs anymore, we don't have a kick returner to give Welker a breather, our no. 3 WR is undeveloped, we don't use tight ends, and even our punter is bad. Brady probably has cracked ribs largely because Kazcur and Matt Light have been pretty bad this year So much has to change so fast, don't be hoping for too much. If anything, enjoy Brady 2 Moss while it lasts.

Last edited:
Some of you are really pathetic. I see what you see, but I also see a team that has a lot of talent and with a little health will be right in the hunt for glory, this year.

In spite of all the injuries, other than NO game, all other four losses were 100% winnable and certainly no one else outplayed us. Do you all really believe there is another team out there that is so good, we do not stand a chance?? Bring on SD, Colts & New Orleans, we can beat them all.

I cannot wait to witness the crow the naysayers will be eating come playoff time.

Is it that hard to actually support a team through thick and thin?

Isn't that what fans do?

Stop listening to the mediots that make their money stirring the pot and think back to a time when even sniffing a chance at playoffs was HUGE.

This team is DONE this year, but the window of opportunity for the next year is still there. . But for 2009----D...O...N...E--the flaws are innumerable it's hard to believe this team is 8-5---but then again, we really do play in a poor division. I'm so numbed with the poor, passive play calling by Dean Pees that it's hard to remain optimistic about this year. As usual so many guys are injured, we can't convert clutch 3rd downs, we bomb it on 2nd and 1, we don't cover anyone, we dont touch the qb, we don't believe in kicking FGs anymore, we don't have a kick returner to give Welker a breather, our no. 3 WR is undeveloped, we don't use tight ends, and even our punter is bad. Brady probably has cracked ribs largely because Kazcur and Matt Light have been pretty bad this year So much has to change so fast, don't be hoping for too much. If anything, enjoy Brady 2 Moss while it lasts.

Man! It's gonna be tough. Past years I pretty much knew what we had and no situations were ever hopeless. I always knew as long as we has #12 (still do) we'd always pull it out. But this team at this time still has many holes and time is running out to get their stuff together. BB will DEF earn his HC paychecks in coming weeks.

Just saw a tremendous tribute to Drew Brees on the NFL Network halftime show. What needs to happen for us to meet them again in the Super Bowl? What needs to change on our end.

Here - I'll start:

1) Our third-down efficiency on offense needs to improve to about 80%.

2) We need to avg about 4.9 yds. per rushing attempt, and have around 30 attempts per game.

3) Our third-down efficiency on defense needs to be what it was against the Panthers.

4) We need at least 1 sack per quarter.

5) Randy Moss needs to return to first half of 2007 form.

How about you?

QB12

Sorry if I repeat some ideas, but I was so excited to respond to this, I didn't read the other posts yet.

1.) We can improve our third down offense and running game if we leave Matt Light at LT and move Volmer to RT. This will strengthen the exterior of our O-line. Next, I say we draft Mike Iupati out of Iowa to replace one of the guards that we may lose this off season. Iupati could be drafted with a second round pick.

If we want to make serious strides in upgrading our O-line, we could consider trading Dan Koppen for a high second round pick, and then draft Maurkice Pouncey.

2.) In terms of our defense, we need help upgrading our pass rush. If we upgrade that, our third down defense will drastically improve. Most mock drafts have us taking Jerry Hughes, but I'm starting to doubt that he will last that long. He most likely with rise up draft boards after his bowl game. That, and the need for pass rushers, may cause him to go higher than he should.

3.) Moss isn't going to be the Moss of 2007 again because teams know what he did and don't want it to happen again. We run an offensive system that his heavily reliant on three receiver sets. We don't have three great receivers. In fact, we entered this season with very little quality depth at wide receiver. That was a very poor decision by our coaching staff.

4.) Brady has been getting hit a bunch because of our foolish reliance on the shotgun. Yes it helped us shatter records in 07, but that's because the league wasn't ready for us. It's two years later and they have clearly figured us out. The problem isn't all with our players, but with our coaching staff. Teams have adapted to us, but we haven't made adequate adjustments to stay ahead of the game. That's not to say that we don't make several adjustments, I know that we do. I am saying that defenses are making more than we do. This is why we cannot close out games.

Teams know what we are going to do. More importantly, teams know that they may give up 15 yards maximum if we run out of the shotgun. The NFL teams usually consider big plays 20 yards or longer. A fifteen yard gamble is not that big of a risk. More importantly, since we don't run the ball often, even when it's working, it makes it extremely easy for teams to take that risk. Considering the fact that it's easier to hit the QB out of the shotgun, teams actually have an incentive to blitz of Moss and Welker are double teamed. If a defense devotes 4-5 players to Welker and Moss, then that leaves 6-7 players that could be sent at Brady.

5.) There are times this season that we have run the ball with some consistency. Our games against Baltimore, Atlanta, and Carolina are examples of this. But does this consistency last? It shows up in a game or three, but we usually go back to our pass happy ways after a while. We ran the ball a great deal towards the end of the 07 season, but abandoned it in the Superbowl because we only ran at predictable times. We ran the ball against Baltimore and Atlanta, but got away from it against Denver and Indianapolis. Maybe we'll do this more consistently as time goes on, but our past body of work has shown that we haven't.

Brady needs to play more like 2003 Brady and less like 2007 Brady.

Too bad our whole team is fat and out of shape. :mad:

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes