PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Greg Elis turned down Pats offer to sign with Oakland for more money

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can't fault the guy for taking pretty much triple in guarantees. Just glad to see the Pats made an offer. Still wish they could have landed the guy.

Same here.:agree:

He cares more for money than championships!! Thats fine with me. Have fun going 4-12 than playing with the Patriots and winning superbowls!!

I don't understand when people get upset that a certain player doesn't sign with them. Also, why do people keep saying on this board "he cares about more money than championships?" Last time I checked, the Pats haven't won the super bowl since 2004. Signing with New England isn't a lock but it does increase one's chance. I think a more accurate thing to say is " he cares more about money than having a chance to win a championship".

*If anything, this really bums me out because obviously the Pats don't feel comfortable with what they have at LB. I'm pretty sure we will see a trade during training camp for an OLB. Also, I don't think money had much to do with it because Ellis hated playing in a 3-4. In fact, he was pissed when Parcells wanted him to play LB. Anyways, Ellis is a better fit in a 4-3.

Last edited:
There were plenty of folks here who said: Well, he didn't sign here, so the Pats must not have wanted him, so he must not be any good.

Apparently the Pats were interested, but cap constrained.

I was disappointed that they were unable to sign him. This makes more sense - Pats made a lower offer.

It does reinforce the fans' perception that there's a real issue at OLB.

I think this has only a little impact on Burgess. There's no reason for the Raiders to offer Burgess on fire sale. Having depth is a good thing.

There were plenty of folks here who said: Well, he didn't sign here, so the Pats must not have wanted him, so he must not be any good.

Apparently the Pats were interested, but cap constrained.

What sucks about the Pats is I'm sure when it comes to salary for a vet OLB, they will bump into the Vrable Factor -- i.e. they can't afford to pay another vet OLB an amount similar to what Vrabs was due ($3.5M or something?), otherwise they will be second guessed ad inifinitum.

I don't understand when people get upset that a certain player doesn't sign with them. Also, why do people keep saying on this board "he cares about more money than championships?" Last time I checked, the Pats haven't won the super bowl since 2004. Signing with New England isn't a lock but it does increase one's chance. I think a more accurate thing to say is " he cares more about money than having a chance to win a championship".

*If anything, this really bums me out because obviously the Pats don't feel comfortable with what they have at LB. I'm pretty sure we will see a trade during training camp for an OLB. Also, I don't think money had much to do with it because Ellis hated playing in a 3-4. In fact, he was pissed when Parcells wanted him to play LB. Anyways, Ellis is a better fit in a 4-3.

1. I'm pretty sure everyone here knows when we last won a Superbowl.

2. If you need everything spelled out exactly, in perfect diction, message boards aren't for you.

Next time I have a real important letter to write i'll be sure to drop you a line or three.

You have stolen my thunder somewhat. Elis going to Oakland does not mean he doesn't care about winning at all. As crazy as it sounds he might like what they are doing in Oakland. He might think it is a team moving in the right direction. He might think he can help them be winners. He also might think he can make a bigger impact in Oakland which is respectable.

I have no idea what Elis' motives are. I know nothing about the guy really. But to state he doesn't want to win simply because he didn't turn down a much bigger offer from a struggling team is crazy.

We just signed 2 players from the lions. Were they losers last year? Did they just become players that want to win?

When one company is at the top of its field and the other is at the bottom, smart people don't consider such a decision to be a "no brainer".

Get real Deus. Greg Ellis is not climbing the corporate ladder; he is not trying to sign on with a prestigious firm with great "growth potential", the man is a professional football player on his last legs - this is likely the last big payday of his life. So, your analogy is not a good one.

Last edited:
The man needs to make his money.

When 2 companies offer you the same job and one offers 333% more than the other that is the definition of a no brainer.

I have to agree. I'm usually in the camp of the money shouldn't matter that much but in this case the difference is way too large to ignore. Guys risk their careers by playing and even practising so it's only responsible family planing to take the huge difference. Where I part company is when someone is well compensated and its a low double digit percentage between an elite team and a perennial loser. I'd choose quality of job life.

Last edited:
Get real Deus. Greg Ellis is not climbing the corporate ladder; he is not trying to sign on with a prestigious firm with great "growth potential", the man is a professional football player on his last legs - this is likely the last big payday of his life. So, your analogy is not a good one.

My analogy is fine.

When 2 companies offer you the same job and one offers 333% more than the other that is the definition of a no brainer.

Not everyone feels that way. I do not fault or judge him for going to the Raiders. Glad he found some work.

BUT - if some offered me a 550% raise in a situation I hate (but same job), I'd have no problem turning it down. To some, money is less important - see Wakefield (though 4mil is nothing to laugh about !).

Not everyone feels that way. I do not fault or judge him for going to the Raiders. Glad he found some work.

BUT - if some offered me a 550% raise in a situation I hate (but same job), I'd have no problem turning it down. To some, money is less important - see Wakefield (though 4mil is nothing to laugh about !).

I am not disagreeing with what you said but I do not know why it is assumed that Oakland is a worse situation.

I am not disagreeing with what you said but I do not know why it is assumed that Oakland is a worse situation.

I agree with you... there are plenty of players who probably turned down Miami last year, but didn't go to the playoffs with the team they chose !

I was just commenting on the fact that EVERYONE's not obsessed with money. I don't fault the one's who are... AND who knows what the Raiders (or any team) will really be like come December ?

Last edited:
Can't stay healthy...

If the FO is still kicking the tires of Greg Ellis, Jason Taylor, Derrick Burgess, etc., then why didn't it just draft Connor Barwin (or Clint Sintim, or Everette Brown) instead of Ron Brace, and Lawrence Sidbury instead of Shortburger?

As Rock 'n Roll detective Ford Fairlane would say: Case Cuh-losed. Oh!

If the FO is still kicking the tires of Greg Ellis, Jason Taylor, Derrick Burgess, etc., then why didn't it just draft Connor Barwin (or Clint Sintim, or Everette Brown) instead of Ron Brace, and Lawrence Sidbury instead of Shortburger?

As Rock 'n Roll detective Ford Fairlane would say: Case Cuh-losed. Oh!

My guess is that is the first and last time I will hear a Ford Fairlane reference this year. (Possibly century.)

If he helped lead the Patriots to another Title, that comment would be rendered complete inaccurate. He'd get a monster payday in the next off season.

So, your statement is not a good one.

Can't fault the guy for taking pretty much triple in guarantees.

Yeah - that's a lot of money to be turned down - even more if he earns some of the non-guaranteed.

The only thing we should be focused on now is the fact that the Pats were interested in brining in another LB. I can't help but wonder if this means they'll give serious consideration to Jeremy Jarmon in the supplemental draft.

Yeah - that's a lot of money to be turned down - even more if he earns some of the non-guaranteed.

The only thing we should be focused on now is the fact that the Pats were interested in brining in another LB. I can't help but wonder if this means they'll give serious consideration to Jeremy Jarmon in the supplemental draft.

No deal - I don't see it. BB places quite a bit of value on his draft picks and I can't see him using one on the supp draft. Even though BB always goes against the grain, I really doubt he goes in this direction.

From what Reiss is saying, the likeliest candidate to start on the outside is Woods. BB praised him in a recent ALL ACCESS episode.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST