PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

I don't get why people think the Pats can offer Garoppolo money to sit & wait for Brady to retire

Status
Not open for further replies.
Its the 12th pick not 16th. You keep saying this and it needs to be corrected.

How about if the franchise him and then trade him?

Why would a team bother? He's cheaper now. If they don't want him this year why would the pony up next year and have to pay a massive salary for him in the hopes that his 1.5 games were not a fluke. The Pats can franchise him and try to trade him but they will definitely be getting scraps back compared to what they could get from the Browns this year. The #12 pick this year plus 2-3 additional picks. Compared to next year when no team is going to pay a first and you may have to throw in a player to get rid of him a la Cassell.

For a team with Super Bowl aspirations, a player who is likely to never play a single meaningful down the entire season is more important than the 16th overall pick and potentially several other high picks? In what universe? We are talking about a back up QB not a starting CB. You should be making this argument about Malcolm Butler not Jimmy Garoppolo.

And I used the 16th overall pick because that is the pick the Browns have and likely to offer in a trade. The 16th overall pick is likely a NFL ready player and most likely would contribute to a Super Bowl than a back up QB.

yes........a good backup QB when your starter is 40 is more important than the 16th pick in the 1st round

in what universe does "likely", "potentially" have any meaning?

the only given is that without Brady and Garoppolo, the Pats chances of winning anything is ZERO

As for Butler, at this point, it would be infinitely STUPID to pay a 2nd CB #1 money, so it is easy to make the argument that moving on from Butler for some draft capital makes sense as does letting him play for one more year under the RFA tag.

the top 16 picks of every draft are littered with player who either wind up contributing nothing.....that is also the only option that can provide a zero return on value.

It makes perfect sense to keep him for another year....regardless of your also meaningless 'exponentially less' claim of draft value.....you get a hardon over things that can result in nothing more than complete busts

Why would a team bother? He's cheaper now. If they don't want him this year why would the pony up next year and have to pay a massive salary for him in the hopes that his 1.5 games were not a fluke. The Pats can franchise him and try to trade him but they will definitely be getting scraps back compared to what they could get from the Browns this year. The #12 pick this year plus 2-3 additional picks. Compared to next year when no team is going to pay a first and you may have to throw in a player to get rid of him a la Cassell.

alot can happen in a year with a starting QB who is 40

I suspect it is indeed next years draft where the Patriots will be drafting a QB with the intent to find the heir to Tom.

more baseless garbage

I already do see it as baseless garbage which is why I said it

You're entitled to your opinion, even if it is completely baseless.

The Pats will pick Brady's heir next year and you will forget who JG is. Book it.

You're entitled to your opinion, even if it is completely baseless.

The Pats will pick Brady's heir next year and you will forget who JG is. Book it.

stick around.....your stupidity will be rewarded

yes........a good backup QB when your starter is 40 is more important than the 16th pick in the 1st round

in what universe does "likely", "potentially" have any meaning?

the only given is that without Brady and Garoppolo, the Pats chances of winning anything is ZERO

As for Butler, at this point, it would be infinitely STUPID to pay a 2nd CB #1 money, so it is easy to make the argument that moving on from Butler for some draft capital makes sense as does letting him play for one more year under the RFA tag.

the top 16 picks of every draft are littered with player who either wind up contributing nothing.....that is also the only option that can provide a zero return on value.

It makes perfect sense to keep him for another year....regardless of your also meaningless 'exponentially less' claim of draft value.....you get a hardon over things that can result in nothing more than complete busts

If a back up QB is worth the 16th overall pick because you are concerned the 40 year old starter won't make it through the season, he should be the starter over the 40 year old starter. And no, having a quality back up for one season is never worth the 16th overall pick. The 16th overall pick is a potential All Pro and impact player for a decade. I look at that list of 16th overall picks you provided and you cannot convince me that having Garoppolo hold a clipboard a whole season just in case Brady goes down is worth more than the next Troy Polumalu. You don't pass that up just to have insurance for a QB who hasn't missed a game other than because of a BS suspension in nearly a decade even if he is 40.

You can make arguments to keep Garappolo over trading him for the 16th overall pick and a few other high picks, but making sure that the Pats have a quality back up for Brady in 2017 isn't one of them.

It only makes perfect sense to keep Garoppolo for another year if you expect him to be the starter in 2018. Otherwise, you are passing on a bonanza trade for insurance if Brady goes down.

Without Brady - correct.
Without Garoppolo - wrong.

If a back up QB is worth the 16th overall pick because you are concerned the 40 year old starter won't make it through the season, he should be the starter over the 40 year old starter. And no, having a quality back up for one season is never worth the 16th overall pick. The 16th overall pick is a potential All Pro and impact player for a decade. I look at that list of 16th overall picks you provided and you cannot convince me that having Garoppolo hold a clipboard a whole season just in case Brady goes down is worth more than the next Troy Polumalu. You don't pass that up just to have insurance for a QB who hasn't missed a game other than because of a BS suspension in nearly a decade even if he is 40.

You can make arguments to keep Garappolo over trading him for the 16th overall pick and a few other high picks, but making sure that the Pats have a quality back up for Brady in 2017 isn't one of them.

It only makes perfect sense to keep Garoppolo for another year if you expect him to be the starter in 2018. Otherwise, you are passing on a bonanza trade for insurance if Brady goes down.

Hate to say it but some of the JG fanboys around here are starting to remind me of the Tebow fans that came and left in 2013. Just completely disconnected from reality and unable or unwilling to see things objectively.

Quite laughable to be honest.

show me the next troy polamalu.......show me now......otherwise you are blubbering as well as anyone else here......because also out there is the next EJ Manuel or the next Quinton Coples or the next Travis Johnson or the next Larry English

your pie in the sky notion of bonanza trade is filled with fantasy

Hate to say it but some of the JG fanboys around here are starting to remind me of the Tebow fans that came and left in 2013. Just completely disconnected from reality and unable or unwilling to see things objectively.

My favorite is the statement that Garoppolo is just as good as any other under 30 QB in this league.

Comedy gold!

show me the next troy polamalu.......show me now......otherwise you are blubbering as well as anyone else here

You are really getting a little pathetic with this.

So if the Pats pass on trading Garoppolo for the 16th overall pick this year plus a few other high draft picks, he rides the bench next year and never plays a meaningful down, and leaves in 2018 in free agency; you are going to say that you are glad that they didn't trade him for the 16th overall pick plus?

Again, you can argue intelligently why you would keep Garoppolo over trading him in several ways. Arguing that having him on the roster as a back up in 2017 over taking the picks is not one of them.

you would have traded JG for a 2nd rounder already.........so move along....you make no sense

You are really getting a little pathetic with this.

So if the Pats pass on trading Garoppolo for the 16th overall pick this year plus a few other high draft picks, he rides the bench next year and never plays a meaningful down, and leaves in 2018 in free agency; you are going to say that you are glad that they didn't trade him for the 16th overall pick plus?

Again, you can argue intelligently why you would keep Garoppolo over trading him in several ways. Arguing that having him on the roster as a back up in 2017 over taking the picks is not one of them.

No....you have produced **** in the name of anything.....you have proved time and time and time again that your opinions are just as garbage laced as anyone elses

you're simply not an authority of any sorts but feel free to keep paraphrasing your garbage....it will still be garbage

there are more players who never play a meaningful down than there are next troy polamalus........make sense

you would have traded JG for a 2nd rounder already.........so move along....you make no sense

I don't remember saying that but now that you mention it yes I would. For less than 90 minutes of good but not awesome meaningful experience - take it and run especially if it's a high second.

I prefer reality not fanboy fantasy and wishful thinking.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back