PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Greg Elis turned down Pats offer to sign with Oakland for more money

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is Ellis's last major payday, No problem with the guy doing what is best for his situation. If we were talking a 200k diff that would be one thing but this is a lot of money it is how Ellis makes his living.

Last edited:
I'm with Deus - it's perfectly fine... I'd rather make 50 000$ making manure than 250 000$ cleaning it.

But that's not quite the right analogy. You're doing the same work in both cases. So would you rather take $50K for one year making manure for a well-respected, winning organization, or $250K making manure for a dysfunctional, losing organization -- knowing that it may be the last big payday of your manure career, with a longggg life ahead of you?

Here's how I see it: no FAs really want to go to the Raiders, so the Raiders have to offer outrageously more than the competition. And they did.

Gotta be a damn fool not to take the $5 million ...

I would have held out for 5.5 million though to play for the Lions.

1. I'm pretty sure everyone here knows when we last won a Superbowl.

2. If you need everything spelled out exactly, in perfect diction, message boards aren't for you.

Next time I have a real important letter to write i'll be sure to drop you a line or three.

1. That isn't my point. My point is, everyone assumes that the Pats are going to win the super bowl every season or refers to the Pats as super bowl champions.

2. My request really isn't that difficult.

As crazy as it sounds he might like what they are doing in Oakland. He might think it is a team moving in the right direction. He might think he can help them be winners. He also might think he can make a bigger impact in Oakland which is respectable.

It would be hard to believe that anybody would like what their doing in Oakland. I'm going a little off topic here, but the only reasons why Jeff Garcia would sign with Oakland is because he's a California guy and I believe he has a really good chance to start this season. As for Ellis, I'm sure there was another 4-3 team that he could have caught on to. I highly doubt he thinks he is the savior for Oakland but your more on target with him thinking he can make a bigger impact as a 4-3 end in Oakland.

But some people on this board aren't seeing the bigger picture that the Pats don't feel comfortable with what they have. Who knows if they really tried to trade for Peppers? In addition, they lost out on Taylor, were rumored to trade for Burgess and now wiffed on Ellis. This is not good.

Last edited:
I wonder if Elis is going to get a 'tight' number in Oakland?

When 2 companies offer you the same job and one offers 333% more than the other that is the definition of a no brainer.

Not when the other company is known to be the worst run company in it's field, it has a recent history of abject failure and it's CEO is a notorious raving lunatic micro manager.

I'm just saying - I don't think we need Ellis to be successful or to win another title - But it would have been nice.

Screw him. He's not that good anyways. If the Pats thought Ellis would have been a key piece, they would have offered more than 1.5m. Let him rot in Oakland and count his dollars while playing for a cellar dweller.

this is completely fine by me, if hes turning down a chance to play for the pats to get more money for the raiders it just shows that he isnt the type of player that fits in Belichicks system and were better off without him.

But that's not quite the right analogy. You're doing the same work in both cases. So would you rather take $50K for one year making manure for a well-respected, winning organization, or $250K making manure for a dysfunctional, losing organization -- knowing that it may be the last big payday of your manure career, with a longggg life ahead of you?

Here's how I see it: no FAs really want to go to the Raiders, so the Raiders have to offer outrageously more than the competition. And they did.

Well said.

Although, I would add this possibility in your analogy: IF he does his job well for the well-respected winning organization and shows what he is worth, he could use that to a get more secure future for his longgg life ahead. He can very well do the exact work at that other company but chances are better that the low paying company will fare significantly better in the race and that improves his visibility.

So, the $50k first year payment can set the road for more secure $ later on with any company. Whereas, the $250k payment at the other place is only for this year.

Tough call especially considering the risk of injury.

Don't understand why some on the board berate a FA who signs elsewhere for more money.

Although, I would add this possibility in your analogy: IF he does his job well for the well-respected winning organization and shows what he is worth, he could use that to a get more secure future for his longgg life ahead. He can very well do the exact work at that other company but chances are better that the low paying company will fare significantly better in the race and that improves his visibility.

So, the $50k first year payment can set the road for more secure $ later on with any company. Whereas, the $250k payment at the other place is only for this year.

I would totally agree for a younger player, but Ellis turns 34 during training camp so I think the future is now. (FWIW, he was born the exact same day as Mike Vrabel.)

I would totally agree for a younger player, but Ellis turns 34 during training camp so I think the future is now. (FWIW, he was born the exact same day as Mike Vrabel.)

That's good info. Around 1.5 a year would of kept Vrabel around. We can all rest easy on Ellis now knowing what his motivation is.

It would be hard to believe that anybody would like what their doing in Oakland. I'm going a little off topic here, but the only reasons why Jeff Garcia would sign with Oakland is because he's a California guy and I believe he has a really good chance to start this season. As for Ellis, I'm sure there was another 4-3 team that he could have caught on to. I highly doubt he thinks he is the savior for Oakland but your more on target with him thinking he can make a bigger impact as a 4-3 end in Oakland.

I a not really trying to compare New England with Oakland. My point is we do not know what is going through Elis' mind. We have no idea what occured in their meeting or what kind of impression the Oakland staff left on him. Every team is full of professionals. We shouldn't be too amazed if players think they might be a better fit somewhere other then here

Sure, if your only goal in life is to amass as many dollars as possible.

Your rationale makes sense for the guy who has a mortgage and kids ready for college, etc etc. That 333% is a big deal because it is the difference between struggling and being reasonably comfortable.

But after a guy makes millions upon millions in his life, it is time to stop shoveling dollars into the vault and do what he wants. Not speaking to Ellis specifically, but in general, what good is making multi-millions if you still must go to the highest bidder.

For some people, money is the end-all, and if they leave a nickel on the table, they feel they've lost. Others use the money they already have as leverage to do what they want.

If Ellis wants to play in a superbowl, and he took the Raider job because it was more money, that is sad. If his goal is life is to earn as much money as he can, then he made the right choice, but it is still sad to me.

Sometimes I'll take a job that looks like a challenge just to not be bored at work. I have a a great deal of confidence in my abilities. I assume I will succeed where many others have failed. I won't take a job because I think it will be the quickest way to a successful closure. I don't think that way. I go where I think I'll be needed and valued. Plus I tend to go to the highest bidder.

I guess it doesn't really work if he has ZERO hope of ever providing for his family in any field other than football and would rather secure his financial future regardless of if he likes it or not (not saying Oakland can't become more than it has been).

I am (obv) not a professional football player. I'm just a regular guy with a job. Talking for myself, I would prefer do a job I enjoy for a few years than one I hate just to have financial security but be miserable (again, football in Oakland MIGHT not be miserable).

Long story short : not EVERYONE in the world takes the money in all cases and I have to think that he could "feed his family" by playing football in Foxborough. Some on the board think "go for the money" in any and all circumstances - I just added that I disagree with the philosophy.

I'm with Deus - it's perfectly fine... I'd rather make 50 000$ making manure than 250 000$ cleaning it.

I'd outsource the manure cleaning and keep the profit.

He cares more for money than championships!! Thats fine with me. Have fun going 4-12 than playing with the Patriots and winning superbowls!!

Well in his defense, the money is guaranteed; the championships aren't.

Once these guys' careers are over, they have decades of life ahead of them where their earning potential basically evaporates, with families to take care of and, in all likelihood, some pretty severe medical bills as their bodies break down. I absolutely understand why players make as much money as they can over the duration of their short careers, and in their place I can't guarantee that I wouldn't do the same.

Once these guys' careers are over, they have decades of life ahead of them where their earning potential basically evaporates, with families to take care of and, in all likelihood, some pretty severe medical bills as their bodies break down. I absolutely understand why players make as much money as they can over the duration of their short careers, and in their place I can't guarantee that I wouldn't do the same.

I have no problem with it either way, as long as they are honest about it. It serves as a window to their motivations.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back