PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Great job Maroney!

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, was this Antowain Smith coming up big in December when a running game is needed? or has Maroney and the O line found a groove, some much needed rythm and confidence in each other, providing another facet to this usually dynamic offense?

I neve lost hope in Maroney but simply thought he could have done more with some of his opportunities. I only listened to the game but it sounded like smashmouth, albeit against a soft as pudding defense.

I think this team had the ability to run like this all along. Obviously they aren't going to have that same success against teams with great run defenses like the Ravens and Steelers, so they usually don't even try in those situations.

Personally, I think this was more a case of them choosing to do what they knew they could (run the ball) because of the defensive alignments and the bad weather.

Sure it is going to be tough to score points if we play a team with great run D in similar circumstances as today. However, that team still has to play against our defense as well, which I am very confident in. Overall I think our offense is as capable, if not more capable than any other team in these conditions.

I think our run-blocking still has a ways to go with the new scheme and of course there's always things to work on, but I think it's good enough to be effective in helping the offense move the ball. We needed to make sure Maroney stayed healthy all year as well, especially after Morris went down. A game like this is precisely why we couldn't risk pounding Maroney for no reason in other games where the smarter thing to do was Pass.

Ok fine.... The original "Maroney is made out of glass" poster is giving Maroney credit for having a great game. Cant any of you people just accept the fact that I am giving the guy credit?

Jeez , people say others "derail" threads.

Good for you, congrats on giving the guy credit for doing something you should have known he could do all along. Just dont' change your tune the next time you see him get tackled for 1 yard gain because 2 defenders are in the backfield when he gets the ball.

Good for you, congrats on giving the guy credit for doing something you should have known he could do all along. Just dont' change your tune the next time you see him get tackled for 1 yard gain because 2 defenders are in the backfield when he gets the ball.

You mean giving him credit for something he should have been doing all along. Btw yet another crybaby derailing a positive thread :rolleyes:

AGIAN , If anyone would like to talk about how Maroney had a great game instead of melting down all over the place that would be mmm greattttt.

Last edited:
You mean giving him credit for something he should have been doing all along. Btw yet another crybaby derailing a positive thread :rolleyes:

It's just another "LOOK AT ME" thread. You claim he "should" have been doing that all along, but in order to do that all along he would have needed the carries. More carries = less passes. Have you been paying attention to our passing game this year? Not to mention all the other factors like not NEEDING to pound our only real good RB when we didn't need to.

People like you ***** about the defense if they allow Marion barber to get 4 YPC, but when a defense doesn't let Maroney get 4 YPC, it's not because they have a good run defense, it's because Maroney sucks. And then you wish you had Barber, the same guy that you would claim our run defense sucked because he got some good yardage. The hypocrisy is pretty funny.

We have not NEEDED to run a lot this year, today we did and we ran well.

The facts were in favor of Maroney being a good running back, but people like you chose to label him as a bust of a 1st-rounder. Then when he has a good day you can jump up out of your seat and say "GOOD JOB, LOOK AT ME I GIVE CREDIT". Well you shouldn't have harped on his lack of carries for as long as you did when the facts were pretty clear on why he wasn't getting many touches. Don't come back now and expect people to pat you on the back for congratulating him. We already knew he could do this and were confident he would help us when we NEEDED him.

I'm not the crybaby posting crap everytime anything negative happens. Take a look in the mirror before you call others crybabies.

It's just another "LOOK AT ME" thread. You claim he "should" have been doing that all along, but in order to do that all along he would have needed the carries. More carries = less passes. Have you been paying attention to our passing game this year? Not to mention all the other factors like not NEEDING to pound our only real good RB when we didn't need to.

People like you ***** about the defense if they allow Marion barber to get 4 YPC, but when a defense doesn't let Maroney get 4 YPC, it's not because they have a good run defense, it's because Maroney sucks. And then you wish you had Barber, the same guy that you would claim our run defense sucked because he got some good yardage. The hypocrisy is pretty funny.

We have not NEEDED to run a lot this year, today we did and we ran well.

The facts were in favor of Maroney being a good running back, but people like you chose to label him as a bust of a 1st-rounder. Then when he has a good day you can jump up out of your seat and say "GOOD JOB, LOOK AT ME I GIVE CREDIT". Well you shouldn't have harped on his lack of carries for as long as you did when the facts were pretty clear on why he wasn't getting many touches. Don't come back now and expect people to pat you on the back for congratulating him. We already knew he could do this and were confident he would help us when we NEEDED him.

I'm not the crybaby posting crap everytime anything negative happens. Take a look in the mirror before you call others crybabies.

I post a sentence... You post a 300 word meltdown. Nuff said.

Good job today Lomo , you ran great. Keep it up!

I post a sentence... You post a 300 word meltdown. Nuff said.

Haha this shows it perfeactly, "nuff said". You have no quality in your posts, no facts, just quick knee-jerk reactionary posts without even taking the time to study the facts and think logically.

Good job today Lomo , you ran great. Keep it up!

:rocker: As most of us already knew you would when given the chance.

Last edited:
Haha this shows it perfeactly, "nuff said". You have no quality in your posts, no facts, just quick knee-jerk reactionary posts without even taking the time to study the facts and think logically.

:rocker: As most of us already knew you would when given the chance.

LoMo ran great today.

Exactly. Now if only NSA, VJC, Frontseven and others could realize this...

I did not watch the game so I have no visuals, just some stats, and it does appear that he played well.

I don't have a problem with Laurence having good games. Games like Buffalo were not memorable games for his scrapbook.

I'm not one of these "draft McFadden" guys either. I think that is un-Patriotic. Drafting a RB high would be wasteful and dangerous in my opinion. Plus with a healthy Sammy Morris there is no way that we need another RB that is not purely a backup.

I do lean toward Sammy playing last year's role of Corey though, and becoming the feature back in tough yardage situations. Laurence has a great opportunity to prove me wrong, and to prove that he's the true feature back on this team. One 100 yard game against the Jets is not going to change my opinion of his place on the team though.

He's not alone . Maroney looked good on the 11 yd gain last week, and poor on almost every other touch. Maroney looked good today, like a first round talent on a championship football team, and is getting credit for his performance by objective fans.

You seem to want to focus on flame wars.....

Sorry, but Danny is anything but objective. If you'd followed any of the Maroney threads, you'd know that.

One 100 yard game against the Jets is not going to change my opinion of his place on the team though.

Nor should it. In no way should your opinion of him have been so low that a single 100 yard performance was some sort of enlightenment.

Last edited:
I agree. The homers get very testy if you point out anything negative. Anywho maroney did great today!

Danny - You really should keep your mouth shut at times. First off, no one gets testy for "pointing out anything negative." People get "TESTY" when you act like an arse and ignore reality. People get testy when you purposely take things out of context and attribute things to people that they didn't say.

Fact is that you sat there and bashed Maroney endlessly for some perceived flaw. Yet, even the mediots who actually played the game were saying how the Pats PASSED the ball because they WANTED to, not because Maroney was an issue.

OH, and btw, did you noticed the big hug that BB gave to Maroney at the end of the game when BB had that huge grin on his mug? I did. It was really hard to miss.

I'll give LM his props today. The only question I have though is why doesn't he run outside and turn the corner. I seen a few times today where he had the option to but went straight ahead.

Danny - You really should keep your mouth shut at times. First off, no one gets testy for "pointing out anything negative." People get "TESTY" when you act like an arse and ignore reality. People get testy when you purposely take things out of context and attribute things to people that they didn't say.

Fact is that you sat there and bashed Maroney endlessly for some perceived flaw. Yet, even the mediots who actually played the game were saying how the Pats PASSED the ball because they WANTED to, not because Maroney was an issue.

OH, and btw, did you noticed the big hug that BB gave to Maroney at the end of the game when BB had that huge grin on his mug? I did. It was really hard to miss.

Hey da bruinz new's flash

I dont care what you think :eek: :D :cool:

Last edited:
I'll give LM his props today. The only question I have though is why doesn't he run outside and turn the corner. I seen a few times today where he had the option to but went straight ahead.

He was no doubt making a statement today. When he establishes himself as a tough runner up the middle the sky's the limit.

That's usually where college hot shots fail. I don't think anyone who's watched him doubts his ability in the open field. Be patient, it's all part of the process.

I did not watch the game so I have no visuals, just some stats, and it does appear that he played well.

I don't have a problem with Laurence having good games. Games like Buffalo were not memorable games for his scrapbook.

Why was Buffalo not a good game for his scrap book? Because the Pats were up 35-7 at the half and decided against running Maroney in the 2nd half and ran, instead, with Evans and Eckel in an attempt to NOT run up the score?

I'm not one of these "draft McFadden" guys either. I think that is un-Patriotic. Drafting a RB high would be wasteful and dangerous in my opinion. Plus with a healthy Sammy Morris there is no way that we need another RB that is not purely a backup.

There is no such thing as "purely a back-up" in this league anymore. Teams that have that mentality are the ones that stumble, ala the Dolphins, Rams, and the Packers prior to them running Ryan Grant.

Teams have to have faith in the 2nd guy on the depth chart because there are so many injuries around the league to the top guy. Look around the league at the number of top guys who missed time. Ronnie Brown. Lamont Jordan. Rudi Johnson. Steven Jackson. Jamal Lewis. Cadillac Williams. Just to name a few. Teams need to have 2 or even 3 RBs that they have confidence because, in the event of an injury, things can get thin really fast.

That being said, I agree that its unlikely that the Pats would draft McFadden. But, I wouldn't be surprised to see them look at someone who could replace Kevin Faulk. Someone they could put on the PS.

I do lean toward Sammy playing last year's role of Corey though, and becoming the feature back in tough yardage situations. Laurence has a great opportunity to prove me wrong, and to prove that he's the true feature back on this team. One 100 yard game against the Jets is not going to change my opinion of his place on the team though.

Maroney is the top running back on this team. He has a particular skill set. Morris is the next back on the roster. He has a different skill set than Maroney. Morris was being used in the Red Zone / Short Yardage situations rather than Evans. Morris was dynamic because he had many of the same skills as Faulk but also some of the ones that Maroney has. Faulk is a great change of pace/ 3rd down back. He's done great work to make himself better in his blocking since his first couple of years.

The Pats like having the different players and were getting them as many carries as they could considering this offense.

I am satisfied with Maroney's progress considering his age and the holes that were in his game coming out of college. Holes that were there primarily because of the type of offense he came out of.

And i applaud the positive nature of the thread. I don't try to predict the future, so I assume this is just part of a positive trend at the forum.:)

Hey da bruinz new's flash

I dont care what you think :eek: :D :cool:

That's no surprise. You've stated that you have no interest in LOGICAL arguments being made that obliterate your weak stance on Maroney. You've proven you don't care about, nor do you understand, the big picture when it comes to the Patriots.

Its why, I am certain, you IGNORED Phil Simms comments on how Maroney wasn't in the game plan the last few weeks because of the defenses they were facing. And that the Pats CHOSE not to run because of those defenses, not because of Maroney.

Loving Maroney today. I "put my money where my mouth is," and used him in two fantasy leagues.

Unfortunately I'm also dependent on Marion Barber. Win a few, lose a few.

PFnV

Nor should it. In no way should your opinion of him have been so low that a single 100 yard performance was some sort of enlightenment.

My opinion of him is proportional to his standing in the league versus other running backs. He wasn't even the better all purpose back here before Sammy got hurt.

If and when he gets it together to start dominating some games then my opinion of him, relative to other top RBs, will have to change.

I do think he's a good change up back with Morris as the feature back, but as we've said all along, that isn't why they spent a first round pick on him. He was supposed to be dominant. He's not. He's adequate. I don't know how you spin that into a good bargain for a first round pick, but I sure don't.

I do hope he gets it together and proves that the pick was well spent. I just doubt that is going to happen.

That's no surprise. You've stated that you have no interest in LOGICAL arguments being made that obliterate your weak stance on Maroney. You've proven you don't care about, nor do you understand, the big picture when it comes to the Patriots.

Its why, I am certain, you IGNORED Phil Simms comments on how Maroney wasn't in the game plan the last few weeks because of the defenses they were facing. And that the Pats CHOSE not to run because of those defenses, not because of Maroney.

Ignoreeeeeeeeeee. Aaahhhh no more rage filled posts from da meltdown.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News