PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Good chance Bradford & Sanchez stay in school - Great news for Cassel trade value

Status
Not open for further replies.
If he is franchaised by Pats- then Pats know his value must be worth more than 3rd round comp pick
I think he will be more than that but I don't agree with your statement. The Patriots might value a mid #4 over a late #3 if it 1) puts Cassel in a place less likely to hurt us (as in, not New Jersey) and we would get the pick this year vs. 2010.

I think we'd rather take a #4 from Minnesota this year than a #3 comp pick in 2010 and have the Jets get him without losing anything.

That said, I would be shocked if we got less than a #2 pick for him.

Let's put it this way. Childress knows the Vikes are playing the trump cards now, which is why they made the deal last season for Jared Allen. That team is built for today and Childress knows that to save his job, he has to get it done in 09. If not, he's knows he's out. With that said, that is why I think him and BB will dust off any hard feelings there might be and I can see their #1 coming over to us. Matt Cassel, in all honesty is Childress's ticket to job security. He'll never be a HC again, this is it, it's now or never for Childress and I think even he knows that Tavaris Jackson is not his ticket.
The only other options they have are the old guys. Collins or Warner if they hit FA (which I don't expect). Jeff Garcia. Or maybe Byron Leftwich.

If he is franchaised by Pats- then Pats know his value must be worth more than 3rd round comp pick (or TB recovery time is >12 months). Key is # of suitors in a bidding war. (Vikes, Lions, Bucs, Jets, SF, etc.). Obviously he has higher value for a team built to win NOW. (Vikes, Jets, Bucs). However, I don't see BB trading him to Jets and I worry that the tiff between BB and Brad Childress over the Garrett Mills signing may have soured the milk). Which would leave Bucs / Gruden and this could be possible as Gruden loves QB's and Bucs have (reportedly) about 45 million under the cap for '09. But Vikes also makes alot of sense as they are only a good QB away from contending for the NFC conference finals with their defense, strong OL and Adrian P.

Remember, though, that if the Pats franchise and trade Cassel, it has to be a partnership: both Cassel and the Patriots would have veto power over any trade, unless a team is willing to cough up two firsts, and Cassel is willing to not sign the franchise tag.

Sanchez leaving school helps Cassel's stock in my mind. When GMs compare the two and realize one is a 26 y/o with some experience, and with 4 years in a great system, being mentored by Tom Brady and Josh McDaniels and the other is a guy who did nothing before his junior year in college except get in trouble for sexual assault, who do you think they would rather pick? I personally can't believe Sanchez is coming out. Kiper was on ESPN radio this morning and basically said he's coming out b/c of the Rose Bowl and having a good game in it.

Last edited:
Sanchez leaving school helps Cassel's stock in my mind. When GMs compare the two and realize one is a 26 y/o with some experience, and with 4 years in a great system, being mentored by Tom Brady and Josh McDaniels and the other is a guy who did nothing before his junior year in college except get in trouble for sexual assault, who do you think they would rather pick? I personally can't believe Sanchez is coming out. Kiper was on ESPN radio this morning and basically said he's coming out b/c of the Rose Bowl and having a good game in it.

I totally agree. Cassel is clearly the safer, readier choice of the two. What's more, as soon as you start tallying up Sanchez' raw physical/athletic attributes that are his primary selling points, you find that Cassel more than compares on those measures too. If I were a GM, it would be no contest in my mind.

I totally agree. Cassel is clearly the safer, readier choice of the two. What's more, as soon as you start tallying up Sanchez' raw physical/athletic attributes that are his primary selling points, you find that Cassel more than compares on those measures too. If I were a GM, it would be no contest in my mind.

Exactly, he's really providing such a direct contrast to Cassel that it makes Cassel look more attractive. Sanchez may end up being a decent NFL QB, we'll see, but he's so much more of an unknown thing than Cassel. I'm sure opposing GMs might wonder how Cassel will fare without Moss & Welker, but he's done it on an NFL level, whereas Sanchez has many question marks.

Last edited:
I'm sure opposing GMs might wonder how Cassel will fare without Moss & Welker, but he's done it on an NFL level, whereas Sanchez has many question marks.

I think he'll do well. No team intentionally fields crappy WR's and who knows, he could end up on the Cardinals, hehe. How Ironic would that be? He'd then have an arguably better receiving corps than we do next year.

I think that the Eagles run is really helping the Cassel market. If the Eagles had not made the playoffs or lost in the first round, McNabb might have been cut/traded, now he hs them back in the NFC Championship game, and most likely the SUperbowl, so he will be back. The most logical landing spot for Mcnabb would have been his hometown of Chicago. So this leaves the Bears a QB away. Now the Lions will either draft Stafford or they too will be in the market for a QB (BTW did you hear the new coach Swartz yesterday, he said the first thing he has to do is find a replacement for Bobby Lane!!!). But both the Bears and the Vikings are a QB away from being a contender. Now you can do it with a rookie, but I think that you would much rather have someone with experience.

The other thing that is working in the Cassel market is the sucess of Warner in Arizona, are they really going to let him go after taking them to the NFC championship game?

I think he'll do well. No team intentionally fields crappy WR's and who knows, he could end up on the Cardinals, hehe. How Ironic would that be? He'd then have an arguably better receiving corps than we do next year.

I don't see that happening with Leinhart there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News