PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Good chance Bradford & Sanchez stay in school - Great news for Cassel trade value

Status
Not open for further replies.
The "talk" seems to be that Sanchez will come out.

That's the buzz I have been starting to hear. Supposedly, he was waiting to see what Bradford would do, as with him out of the picture Sanchez is the #2 QB, with a real shot of passing Stafford depending on combine, etc.

Will be real interested to see what Sanchez does now ... either way, worse case scenario there are only two first round QBs at this point.

That's the buzz I have been starting to hear. Supposedly, he was waiting to see what Bradford would do, as with him out of the picture Sanchez is the #2 QB, with a real shot of passing Stafford depending on combine, etc.

Will be real interested to see what Sanchez does now ... either way, worse case scenario there are only two first round QBs at this point.

to me, both those guys are much bigger question marks than cassel. if i'm a fan of a team needing a qb i'd be much more excited by getting a starting quarterback than a kid that's gonna take 2-4 years of development and then finding out he can't cut it. but that's just me.

ESPN reporting that Sanchez will declare later today. And say what you want about Pete Carroll, but he's cutting short his Hawaii vacation to be present with Sanchez when he declares. That's a guy who is committed to and cares about his players. Is it any wonder he can recruit any kid in the country?

Yeah, I just saw this news go by too.

Should be interesting to see if all the quarterback needy teams rank the available "young" QB's with Matty @ #1.

Sanchez is coming out for this draft per Mortensen on ESPN. Matt Cassel is by far the #1 rated QB when compared to all the QB's in this year's draft.

Sanchez is coming out for this draft per Mortensen on ESPN. Matt Cassel is by far the #1 rated QB when compared to all the QB's in this year's draft.

When you put it that way, a #1 really isn't far-fetched at all.

With your #1 pick you can draft a QB with a proven NFL track record, training under the greatest QB of all time, holder of family secrets to one of the greatest football organizations of all time... be tough to turn that down when writing up a draft board.

Bradford staying, Sanchez declaring........

Matt Cassel's home value has just tripled........

a few hours before you were hearing both were staying in.. Did you hear this from your local milk man :p

Bradford staying, Sanchez declaring........

Matt Cassel's home value has just tripled........

With Sanchez declaring, Cassels value will not be as high as it would have been if Sanchez stayed in one more year...

We'll have to see where Sanchez is target to go, I'm thinking middle to late 1st like Flacco.. And at that price, someone like the Vikings would probably go for him over Cassel. Because they won't have to invest 60 Million +

With Sanchez declaring, Cassels value will not be as high as it would have been if Sanchez stayed in one more year...

We'll have to see where Sanchez is target to go, I'm thinking middle to late 1st like Flacco.. And at that price, someone like the Vikings would probably go for him over Cassel. Because they won't have to invest 60 Million +

Sanchez will be long gone before the Vikes step to the podium. (SF, the Rats, Detroit (Dallas's #1 for Williams), TB) all pick before the Vikes, Sanchez could very easily land with one of these teams.

Last edited:
a few hours before you were hearing both were staying in.. Did you hear this from your local milk man :p

The thing with the milk man is: 60% of the time, he's right every time. ;)

The Vikings need to win a playoff game next year. If my job depended on it, I'm going with Cassel over Sanchez; although Sanchez probably will be gone anyway.

Sanchez will be long gone before the Vikes step to the podium. (SF, the Rats, Detroit (Dallas's #1 for Williams), TB) all pick before the Vikes, Sanchez could very easily land with one of these teams.
We'll probably trade Cassel long before the draft anyway so a team that needs a QB NOW will have to consider Cassel because they'll have no idea if they can get a decent QB in the draft.

From what I saw of Sanchez he has really high potential but needs coaching. If I was a team that needed a QB I would consider drafting him but signing Warner as a FA to cover this season. I think this makes most sense for a team like KC or Detroit that isn't expected to win this year. If I need to make a run in the playoffs (Minnesota, Jets) I go for Cassel. SF are somewhere in the middle. Besides, the Pats don't really want a top 5 pick - I'm not sure there's anyone in this draft whose worth that much money.

On the statistical question. The analysis that has been discussed comes from Football Outsiders and even they admit it is not iron clad. Part of the problem is that they stats for College football are poor. They argue that starts and completion % are the only stats that offer any useful indication of a high pick. The best counter argument is Matt Ryan who only did so-so in their analysis.
Their site is worth a look FOOTBALL OUTSIDERS: Football analysis and NFL stats for the Moneyball era - Authors of Pro Football Prospectus 2008

Sam Bradford

I'm glad this dude decided to stay in school at Oklahoma.

It increased Cassels trade value immensely and I'm really looking forward to an action packed off season.

Re: Sam Bradford

With Bradford staying in school Cassel’s market value increased a little bit more. If I were a QB needy team I would certainly give up a 1st rounder and more for Cassel instead of picking from what’s avavailable in this weak QB crop. Stafford has bust written all over him and Sanchez is a one year wonder in college. If people want to say Cassel is a one year wonder at least he was a one year wonder in the NFL and showed he can get it done at that level. If the Pats are going to trade Cassel this week's developments have certainly helped, also like mentioned it is a very weak QB draft class so things were looking good in terms of a good market for Cassel anyway.

Last edited:
I'm one of the unsure fans on this board regarding Cassel and draft picks. I'd love to get a #1 for him but with all honesty I'd be happy with a high 2 from Detroit. Some people seem to think he is worth a kings ransom and I'm just not seeing it. Every team knows we want to unload this guy if Brady has a good prognosis. This will be the same scenario as Moss a couple of years ago.{Well not the same due to Moss's old attitude} "Wait for the price to go down and then give them a 3rd or 4th." I hope I'm wrong cuz I really want to drink the Kool-Aid with you guys and gals.

So from what I'm hearing, there is a very good chance both Sanchez & Bradford might stay for their senior years. That will pretty much make Stafford the only round 1 caliber QB, which means you might have a lot more teams who want a QB willing to part with their first for a guy like Cassel.

Stay tuned ...

Stafford may go in the first round, only because anybody else is a fourth rounder or worse. Franchise QBs pass at better than a 57% completion rate.
BUST.

I'm one of the unsure fans on this board regarding Cassel and draft picks. I'd love to get a #1 for him but with all honesty I'd be happy with a high 2 from Detroit. Some people seem to think he is worth a kings ransom and I'm just not seeing it. Every team knows we want to unload this guy if Brady has a good prognosis. This will be the same scenario as Moss a couple of years ago.{Well not the same due to Moss's old attitude} "Wait for the price to go down and then give them a 3rd or 4th." I hope I'm wrong cuz I really want to drink the Kool-Aid with you guys and gals.

If he is franchaised by Pats- then Pats know his value must be worth more than 3rd round comp pick (or TB recovery time is >12 months). Key is # of suitors in a bidding war. (Vikes, Lions, Bucs, Jets, SF, etc.). Obviously he has higher value for a team built to win NOW. (Vikes, Jets, Bucs). However, I don't see BB trading him to Jets and I worry that the tiff between BB and Brad Childress over the Garrett Mills signing may have soured the milk). Which would leave Bucs / Gruden and this could be possible as Gruden loves QB's and Bucs have (reportedly) about 45 million under the cap for '09. But Vikes also makes alot of sense as they are only a good QB away from contending for the NFC conference finals with their defense, strong OL and Adrian P.

If he is franchaised by Pats- then Pats know his value must be worth more than 3rd round comp pick (or TB recovery time is >12 months). Key is # of suitors in a bidding war. (Vikes, Lions, Bucs, Jets, SF, etc.). Obviously he has higher value for a team built to win NOW. (Vikes, Jets, Bucs). However, I don't see BB trading him to Jets and I worry that the tiff between BB and Brad Childress over the Garrett Mills signing may have soured the milk). Which would leave Bucs / Gruden and this could be possible as Gruden loves QB's and Bucs have (reportedly) about 45 million under the cap for '09. But Vikes also makes alot of sense as they are only a good QB away from contending for the NFC conference finals with their defense, strong OL and Adrian P.

Let's put it this way. Childress knows the Vikes are playing the trump cards now, which is why they made the deal last season for Jared Allen. That team is built for today and Childress knows that to save his job, he has to get it done in 09. If not, he's knows he's out. With that said, that is why I think him and BB will dust off any hard feelings there might be and I can see their #1 coming over to us. Matt Cassel, in all honesty is Childress's ticket to job security. He'll never be a HC again, this is it, it's now or never for Childress and I think even he knows that Tavaris Jackson is not his ticket.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes