PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Georgia Tech WR Stephen Hill!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Did you watch him during the drills today? Showed excellent hands..

I did actually but there's something about the way he catches. I might be wrong of course, as i'm no pro-scout. But it's just something in his technique that give me doubts. Like I say, it's just me and he could learn to catch better. I do agree that his break is pretty good.

Edit: I could see a situation where the patriots trade one of their 1st for a 1st next year and a 2nd this year and take Hill. So call it a freebie.

Last edited:
This guy is too big, too fast and athletic, to make it past 2nd round. I can even see a team using their first round pick for his potential alone. A 6'4" athlete who can run a 4.36 is the type of athlete GMs dream off. If Al Davis was still alive and the Raiders have a top 10 pick, this guy would be a top 10 prospect.

It's great that he caught everything thrown his way during a drill but how were his hands when he was thrown to in college? Again the biggest issue will be learning and processing the offense in real time. Another will be Brady's level of confidence in him. If he goes out there a couple of times and he runs the wrong route or he drops a ball because he is thinking too much Brady will freeze him out (especially if he gets his binky, Deion, back). Getting Bradys confidence and having him push for you to be on the field is about as important and anything else.

Here's the plan. Draft Hill and then petition the rules committee to make a rule where WRs can run down the field 40 yards without pads or being covered by a defender. Hill will be great for the Pats in that scenario.

This is why I hate the combines. A player looks like a stud running a 40 and people think it will turn them into a great player. Hill has a lot of red flags on him because he played in an option offense (See Taylor Price). He has 49 career receptions (although for an impressive 25.2 YPC). He might be a good fit for the Pats, but he is a risk too. I don't care what he looked like this weekend.

If Hill falls to the late second round or third round, he might be worth drafting. But drafting him in the first is too much of a risk for a WR with a lot of question marks and looked like a stud in shorts.

Last edited:
I still have flashbacks of Chad Jackson winning the hands contest. Caught everything thrown his way by JUGS machines and still ended up as a bust.

Pats route running and reading defenses to adjust is a killer on Pats WR's who can't process that info fast enough or at all. (See Ocho).

Who was the last good WR that BB drafted and how many has he drafted since being the HC ?

Hope he grabs a known commodity in FA and drafts a WR in later round.

just sayin :eek:

Last edited:
Very interesting. Josh McD drafted a similar player a couple of years ago who seems to be progressing well. Why is lack of experience a problem? 10 year vets routinely come in here and fail to pick up the offense. Maybe it is actually a benefit to basically start from scratch with a freakishly talented individual. That way he doesn't pick up bad habits. More than his speed, the kid looked very smooth out there making cuts and catching the ball. Maybe at the top of round 2 after the inevitable trade down.

A few comments:

His straight line numbers, and jumping numbers were great. His 3 cone, and short shuttle numbers were below average.

Secondly, GT grad that sits next to me says he makes the incredible catch, but drops alot of easy to catch passes.

He did say, however, that he is a GREAT blocker, but doesn't run great routes. He's a straight line guy.

Very interesting. Josh McD drafted a similar player a couple of years ago who seems to be progressing well. Why is lack of experience a problem? 10 year vets routinely come in here and fail to pick up the offense. Maybe it is actually a benefit to basically start from scratch with a freakishly talented individual. That way he doesn't pick up bad habits. More than his speed, the kid looked very smooth out there making cuts and catching the ball. Maybe at the top of round 2 after the inevitable trade down.

I was just about to post about DT.

I agree with what you're saying, less knowledge is more! Of course if the Pats don't take him at 31 some team like Cleveland will take him early in the 2nd.

You talking about Demaryius Thomas? He was mediocre at best in McDaniels' system (although he only played in it one year, his rookie year) only catching 22 balls for 283 yards and 2 TDs. He was much better this year (although not outstanding) playing in an option offense which is far simplier than what the Pats run and relies on Tebow running around until his receivers get open. Not exactly a comparison that screams a ringing endorsement to draft Stephen Hill.

Last edited:
Hill's performance was very impressive. Somebody will over draft him because of how good his 40 was and how smooth he looked doing the gauntlet but BB and crew will do there homework nonetheless. If he interviews well and they think he can pick up the system he would be one of those high risk high reward players that BB avoids in the first round but loves in rounds 2-4. I doubt he'll make it to 48 but if he does I wouldn't be shocked if they took a shot.

The one we should be talking about is Kendell Wright. I thought for sure he was going to run a 4.4 and be long gone. His 4.61 puts him into play. I'm not saying he's the second coming but Jerry Rice ran a 4.7. Wright like Rice plays way faster than his 40 time. He has the potential to be the perfect replacement and eventual upgrade to Branch.

A few comments:

His straight line numbers, and jumping numbers were great. His 3 cone, and short shuttle numbers were below average. Secondly, GT grad that sits next to me says he makes the incredible catch, but drops alot of easy to catch passes. He did say, however, that he is a GREAT blocker, but doesn't run great routes. He's a straight line guy.

All of this adds up to him being a 4th round pick by another team. The Pats value the 3 cone over the 40, hands over size, and route running over just about anything else. He has nothing of real value besides being a good blocker.

All of this adds up to him being a 4th round pick by another team. The Pats value the 3 cone over the 40, hands over size, and route running over just about anything else. He has nothing of real value besides being a good blocker.

Yeah but hasn't that been our problem recently? Lack of anything resembling a deep threat against the better Ds.

Hill may be a 3rd round steal if still available. His numbers at GTech aren't overwhelming but he has the size (6'4" 215 lbs.) and speed (4.36 40-yd dash) the Pats need. The good blocking skills are a good asset and currently the Pats WR blocking stinks. Limited catches in college but averaged 29 yds a catch and may be an affordable deep threat. Hill or Tommy Streeter, who are similar players in size, could be the type of WR needed and who knows maybe the Pats will pick one of these players along with Joe Adams of Arkansas in the draft.

Right now, the Pats have two good TE and Wes Welker at WR...Ocho, Branch are past their prime and are backups at best.

Last edited:
It's great that he caught everything thrown his way during a drill but how were his hands when he was thrown to in college? Again the biggest issue will be learning and processing the offense in real time. Another will be Brady's level of confidence in him. If he goes out there a couple of times and he runs the wrong route or he drops a ball because he is thinking too much Brady will freeze him out (especially if he gets his binky, Deion, back). Getting Bradys confidence and having him push for you to be on the field is about as important and anything else.

This is utter BS. Brady won't free out anyone unless they aren't trying hard enough or are continuing to make the same mistake over and over again.

You seem to forget that Brady had to show Caldwell and Gaffney how to run the routes before they finally got it. Hill has gone out of his way to get help from people known to be excellent route runners (Terrance Mathis, Mohammed Sanu) to help him improve. And, as I said, Hill was pretty crisp yesterday.

Where Hill will have trouble is being able to diagnose what the Defense is planning on doing and being on the same page as Brady. However, it's not impossible to do. And, at some point, Brady's going to have to learn to throw to other people.

Here's the plan. Draft Hill and then petition the rules committee to make a rule where WRs can run down the field 40 yards without pads or being covered by a defender. Hill will be great for the Pats in that scenario.

This is why I hate the combines. A player looks like a stud running a 40 and people think it will turn them into a great player. Hill has a lot of red flags on him because he played in an option offense (See Taylor Price). He has 49 career receptions (although for an impressive 25.2 YPC). He might be a good fit for the Pats, but he is a risk too. I don't care what he looked like this weekend.

If Hill falls to the late second round or third round, he might be worth drafting. But drafting him in the first is too much of a risk for a WR with a lot of question marks and looked like a stud in shorts.

First off, there is one red flag. That Hill came out of a Triple Option offense. The other "red flags" you mentioned are a result of said Triple Option offense.

Secondly, PRIOR to the Combine, Hill was rated as a 2nd round pick. People moving him into the bottom of the 1st round (a whole half round) are doing so because of the entire body of work and what was confirmed for them yesterday.

You talking about Demaryius Thomas? He was mediocre at best in McDaniels' system (although he only played in it one year, his rookie year) only catching 22 balls for 283 yards and 2 TDs. He was much better this year (although not outstanding) playing in an option offense which is far simplier than what the Pats run and relies on Tebow running around until his receivers get open. Not exactly a comparison that screams a ringing endorsement to draft Stephen Hill.

Key word in my post being "progressing". 283 yards as a rookie, 551 as a 2nd year. I am assuming we get Lloyd or Wayne in FA. I would be happy to be able to get 22 catches out of him this year (as the Broncos got out of Thomas as a rookie), keep defenses honest, and develop him for the future. Assuming he is a good kid that takes coaching, he seems like a solid prospect.

We need to get this guy in the first round I think him and jaNoris Jenkins or him and brockers's or f cox and I like David molk Ronnell Lewis later and possibly Harrison Smith

Janoris Jenkins is not on BB's draft board ... three suspensions in college, two for marijuana, another for a bar incident. He has 4 children under three with three different women.

David Molk put up great numbers in the weight room ... thats because he has short arms ... shorts arms means very difficult time pass blocking. Doubt he is in his board as well.

I still have flashbacks of Chad Jackson winning the hands contest. Caught everything thrown his way by JUGS machines and still ended up as a bust.

Pats route running and reading defenses to adjust is a killer on Pats WR's who can't process that info fast enough or at all. (See Ocho).

Who was the last good WR that BB drafted and how many has he drafted since being the HC ?

Hope he grabs a known commodity in FA and drafts a WR in later round.

just sayin :eek:

David Givens and Deion Branch were the last "good" WRs that were drafted that were successful. And much of that goes to Brian Daboll, who was their WR coach.

Since then, there was Bethel Johnson, PK Sam, Chad Jackson, Brandon Tate, Taylor Price and Julian Edelman. Johnson was primarily a KR. Sam had maturity issues. Jackson was a FUBAR pick by BB and the one that led to a big amount of dissension within the Pats organization. Tate had the injury issues. Price was cut because they needed the Roster Space.
Edelman has been good in spurts, but has also had injury issues.

The Pats have a lot of holes at WR right now so them grabbing a WR other than Welker is a given. Many expect one in the draft as well. And if BB feels that Hill is the BVA at 31, then I think he'll take him.. If not, so be it.

A few comments:

His straight line numbers, and jumping numbers were great. His 3 cone, and short shuttle numbers were below average.

This is false. a 6.88 3 cone is actually very good. It was only the short shuttle that his number was below average.

Secondly, GT grad that sits next to me says he makes the incredible catch, but drops alot of easy to catch passes.

He did say, however, that he is a GREAT blocker, but doesn't run great routes. He's a straight line guy.

He wasn't a great route runner in college. This is correct. However, he's been working on that tirelessly since the end of the year with Terrance Mathis and Mohammed Sanu. Hill KNEW it was an issue, acknowledged it, and is doing a lot of hard work to correct it. That was seen yesterday with his very fluid and crisp routes..

It's my belief that this kid has initiative and is a hard worker. Two things that the Pats look for. The dropping of easy passes can be worked on. The Pats did it with Deion Branch and David Givens in between 2002 and 2003. If the kid keeps his initiative and the hard work attitude, I see no reason why he can't over-come the "dropsies" he had in college.

Rob - You are better than that. You totally ignored the fact that Thomas was a rookie and he was fighting through multiple different injuries his rookie year.

Thomas also missed the first 6 games this year due to injuries. Thomas was on the receiving end of 52% of all of Tebow's passes during the last 7 games of the season (5 regular, 2 post).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back