PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Georgia Tech WR Stephen Hill!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's why I like Stephen Hill. I acknowledge that he's got great size and speed, all very atttractive, but that's not it. When he came in to this draft process he was perceived as a raw WR who dropped the ball too much and couldn't run anything but the Go route. However, as this draft process has continued, Hill hasn't put a foot wrong. I don't think he dropped a ball at the combine and looked sharp in his routes. By all accounts the same applies to his pro day.

So if, the criticisms of Stephen Hill are right, what that means is that he's worked his butt off as this draft season has progressed to improve the very things he was criticised for. Not only that, he's shown the self-awareness to realise that he's needed to work on his issues and the intelligence to become better. Maybe he's not ready to run in our complex offense yet but to me, he's shown all the intangibles to suggest that if anyone has a chance, it might be him.

Here's why I like Stephen Hill. I acknowledge that he's got great size and speed, all very atttractive, but that's not it. When he came in to this draft process he was perceived as a raw WR who dropped the ball too much and couldn't run anything but the Go route. However, as this draft process has continued, Hill hasn't put a foot wrong. I don't think he dropped a ball at the combine and looked sharp in his routes. By all accounts the same applies to his pro day.

So if, the criticisms of Stephen Hill are right, what that means is that he's worked his butt off as this draft season has progressed to improve the very things he was criticised for. Not only that, he's shown the self-awareness to realise that he's needed to work on his issues and the intelligence to become better. Maybe he's not ready to run in our complex offense yet but to me, he's shown all the intangibles to suggest that if anyone has a chance, it might be him.

While that all could be true, every other team can see or think the same as you do.

Our scheme allows players with subpar tools to gain separation as if they had good tools, if and only if, they understand the concept and gain Brady's trust. That's the number one thing I look for in a receiver for the Pats. It's a question mark for Hill. It isn't for the Arkansas boys or guy like Kendall Wright.

Therefore we don't need a player like Hill as badly as a lot of other teams. I think 100% he'll be off the board before he represents good value for us.

He caught a few balls running around a cone in shorts and a shirt. I'm impressed.

He caught a few balls running around a cone in shorts and a shirt. I'm impressed.

Oooh! sarcasm. Nice.

I'm amused by your lack of respect for the combine and its importance. Every GM and HC turns up to it, it often makes or breaks a draftees draft day and BB pretty much drafts according to what happens there and yet you continue to maintain that it's an unimportant process.

I think you'll find that there are plenty of GM's that were impressed by Hill's running around a cone in shorts, and bearing in mind the Taylor Price pick, it wouldn't be a huge surprise if BB was one of them.

Oooh! sarcasm. Nice.

I'm amused by your lack of respect for the combine and its importance. Every GM and HC turns up to it, it often makes or breaks a draftees draft day and BB pretty much drafts according to what happens there and yet you continue to maintain that it's an unimportant process.

I think you'll find that there are plenty of GM's that were impressed by Hill's running around a cone in shorts, and bearing in mind the Taylor Price pick, it wouldn't be a huge surprise if BB was one of them.

I'm British :p Sarcasm is my middle name haha!

I don't have a lack of respect for it at all. I think a strong combine can do wonders for your stock. I just have major doubts about this kid in an NFL offense. I didn't think this kid could play in a pro style offense...and I still don't. No 40 time int he world can change that opinion.

*cough* Chad Jackson * cough*

I take a lot out of workout drills. However, you have to be able to do it on tape first. Hill is a guy who's dropped a few critical passes on the football field in pads and doesn't run fantastic routes on the field. Granted he hasn't run a huge variety where he's come from but I'd sooner take a guy who's done something to an average standard than a guy who runs fast but hasn't done them at all.

FYI anyone can put shorts and a t-shirt on and run well with no one in front of them but a cone to run around. Can he implement his athleticism on the football field? Can he use his brain at the same time as doing all of these things? Running routes in shorts and t-shirts and catching a football in shorts and a t-shirt are nowhere near the same as running them in pads.

Huge, huge doubts. I'd take a gamble on him late second if he fell that far and we've attacked some key needs first. No higher.

Last edited:
Even then I'd rather take someone who has proven something. I think the second is a good place for the Pats to grab a wr with the seemingly tons of talent this draft has, but I'd rather one that has produced. Of course, I really want Alshon Jeffrey, but that is just because I've seen every game he played in college and I can only imagine how great he could be with an actual qb.

I don't have a lack of respect for it at all. I think a strong combine can do wonders for your stock. I just have major doubts about this kid in an NFL offense. I didn't think this kid could play in a pro style offense...and I still don't. No 40 time int he world can change that opinion.

I take a lot out of workout drills. However, you have to be able to do it on tape first. Hill is a guy who's dropped a few critical passes on the football field in pads and doesn't run fantastic routes on the field. Granted he hasn't run a huge variety where he's come from but I'd sooner take a guy who's done something to an average standard than a guy who runs fast but hasn't done them at all.

FYI anyone can put shorts and a t-shirt on and run well with no one in front of them but a cone to run around. Can he implement his athleticism on the football field? Can he use his brain at the same time as doing all of these things? Running routes in shorts and t-shirts and catching a football in shorts and a t-shirt are nowhere near the same as running them in pads.

Huge, huge doubts. I'd take a gamble on him late second if he fell that far and we've attacked some key needs first. No higher.

I can't.

Of course there are doubts - the GT system dictates that but just because someone wasn't required to run differing routes, doesn't mean he can't, or that he doesn't have the intelligence to do it as you seem to suggest which is a bit of an unsubstantiated leap.

My point was simply this, Hill could have rested on his physical ability, like Janzen Jackson or Dwight Jones for example, instead he's put real work into improving himself as a prospect. Those are the sort of intangibles that I want to see from a Patriots player, hence my reason for liking him. I'm not saying we will draft him, or that I want us too, I still have other players ahead of him. I'm just saying that if we do, I like his chances of succeeding now more than I did before he put in such a stellar pre-draft season.

Now I do love some british sarcasm. However I think the shorts, t-shirts and cones are all the same for everyone in the draft but strange how some can look better doing it than others. Guess just some guys do look good in a tight t-shirt.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back