PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Gasper: Taylor has surgery, likely done for season

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just like when I had my vasectomy...

Time for a Maroney vs. Taylor joke about whether you "find the hole quickly, decisively, and with authority" or whether you dance around while not quite noticing the opportunities that are there.

:D

This is why we had to keep 4 running backs. Law firm is going to see a lot of touches over the second half of the season with fresh legs.

Things we can reasonably conclude from this (if true):

1. Fred doesn't drive a stick

2, :confused2:

Sigh. Get well, Fred and come back soon!!!!!!!!!
We said he drove home from the hospital. He did not stay the night, but someone else drove. Sorry for the misunderstanding. Ian R. Rapoport (RapSheet) on Twitter

Thanks a lot, Ian Rapoport! Give me a straw and then rip it out of my grasp! :mad: I mean, I really wanted to figure out what kind of car Fred drove, and now I got nothing!

Hee.

Anyway, I still have faith the Pats will be able get the job done with the remaining RBs, and I'll just consider it a bonus if I can get back to yelling "YOU GO FRED I LOVE YOU MAN!" sometime this season.

Last edited:
Well, for better or worse, we'll see what LoMo has to give. Maybe this will help him psychologically in that he has to produce now, knowing that the Pats depend on him more. I'd love to see him get low and churn ahead for yards. A sloppy day in Denver would be the perfect time and place for that.

I'm not too optimistic. But there's a chance.

Side note: We shouldn't make much out of Taylor driving home. Tom Brady walked off the field right after his injury and had nary a limp. We have no idea if that means IR or not; we do know that Taylor's out of commission for a while.

Reiss makes the excellent point that if the Pats suffer more injuries, they will probably place Taylor on IR, a.k.a. Randall Gay in '05 to create more room on roster.

If he could be back for the playoffs, that would be all that really would matter. I would gladly take that right now even if it's just 6-7 games we get out of him for the whole season.

If not, that sucks bigtime. He would have made a difference I think as he is our best RB this year. Well one down, 3 to go. Watch Maroney and Morris get injured soon leaving just BJGE and Faulk like last year.

Last edited:
I had to laugh when I looked at the picture the Globe used for their article on Taylor needing surgery. He's lucky he can even WALK!! ;)

100909_taylor329__1255068244_0273.jpg

Well, for better or worse, we'll see what LoMo has to give. Maybe this will help him psychologically in that he has to produce now, knowing that the Pats depend on him more. I'd love to see him get low and churn ahead for yards. A sloppy day in Denver would be the perfect time and place for that.

I'm not too optimistic. But there's a chance.

I don't think I have ever seen the embodiment of the mob mentality quite as clearly as I do in the posters on this board when discussing Laurence Maroney. Once the mob mentality is entrenched, it is pointless to argue. So, all I can say is...in 2007 everyone was in love with the trio of Maroney, Morris and Faulk. Let's just try to stay positive until that group shows that it definitively cannot produce. I think it can, and I think it will. Maybe BJGE gets a handful of snaps, maybe he doesn't...it doesn't really matter....he's far and away the fourth back on the depth chart for a reason.

I don't think I have ever seen the embodiment of the mob mentality quite as clearly as I do in the posters on this board when discussing Laurence Maroney. Once the mob mentality is entrenched, it is pointless to argue. So, all I can say is...in 2007 everyone was in love with the trio of Maroney, Morris and Faulk. Let's just try to stay positive until that group shows that it definitively cannot produce. I think it can, and I think it will. Maybe BJGE gets a handful of snaps, maybe he doesn't...it doesn't really matter....he's far and away the fourth back on the depth chart for a reason.

You should've been here for the Reche Caldwell year.

All that guy did was sign for little money, make 70+ receptions, hold that WR corps together by scotch tape..........yet people didn't "like his eyes".

If he could be back for the playoffs, that would be all that really would matter. I would gladly take that right now even if it's just 6-7 games we get out of him for the whole season.

I dunno. ONe of the orthopedic surgeons on SOSH thinks he knows what Taylor had to have done, and he says the ankle probably won't even be allowed to bear weight for 12 weeks.

It'll be fairly clear, if he hasn't been IRed by this time next week then they think he can make it back.

I am looking forward to seeing some BJGE, though down in the rotation.

BB is pretty quick to pull the IR trigger if it's unlikely he'll return.

Why would Maroney get a chance to get in a rhythm just because Taylor got injured? A feature back needs to have the ability to run between the tackles ... that's not Maroney. The other RB's will pick up a few carries ... Belichick doesn't feature a back except maybe when the weather is poor.

We'll see. RB by committee is probably over. And after seeing the first four games I don't see us going unbalanced again unless it becomes absolutely necessary. What better a time to feature Maroney and really see what he's made of?

It's easy to get really frustrated with him (and BB may have already seen enough too), but now I think you have no choice but to let Maroney try to step it up bigtime and become the Man. I think he'll get the chance )and BJGE will be waiting in the wings if he fails).

And Maroney can run between the tackles if he and the O-line can get on the same page and they get a rhythm going.

The running game did okay without Taylor last year.

Don't worry, BB will fill the spot, he always does.

Taylor did an interview with a Florida paper and part of it made me feel kinda sad for him. I hope he's back this season.

Florida Times-Union via Chris "Vincent" Price
“I’m blessed, man,” said Taylor, who had rushed for 105 yards on 21 attempts the previous week against Atlanta. “I’ve already been through so much that this is just a minimal setback. … I had just gotten to where I felt they trusted me. I needed to have that 100-yard game (in September) to prove they could trust me. That’s the part that hurts most about the whole situation.

Does make you feel bad for the guy know how hard he works.

Taylor makes it sound like he'll be back sooner than later even. Wonder how Gasper would be so off on the timetable if that's the case.

Taylor makes it sound like he'll be back sooner than later even. Wonder how Gasper would be so off on the timetable if that's the case.

Taylor could be holding optimistic, he did say he won't know for sure until his follow-up visit. Gasper was probably taking a shot based on how quick Bill will sometimes pull the trigger on IR. Since we had 5 RB's coming into the season, I think they can hold that spot open pretty easy, even if the prognosis is two months.

Last edited:
I dunno. ONe of the orthopedic surgeons on SOSH thinks he knows what Taylor had to have done, and he says the ankle probably won't even be allowed to bear weight for 12 weeks.

Yeah I'm not counting on it. I'm just saying if he somehow makes it back for the playoff games and runs the way he was running, he'd still be worth the cap hit he had this year, regardless of how many games he missed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back