PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Gasper: Taylor has surgery, likely done for season

Status
Not open for further replies.
There are many feature backs that are better if they are given more reps. Maroney has averaged over 4.5 yards per game when he carries 20 times in a game. He averaged over 4.4 yards a carry in his first two seasons. He doesn't do great when he carries under ten times a game.

We have a couple of reasonable options
OPTION 1 - Make Maroney the starter and primary running back.
OPTION 2 - Have Maroney and Morris share the primary load

In either case, Faulk's role wouldn't change. Nor would the role of Green-Ellis, other than his being more likely to be activated.

Why would Maroney get a chance to get in a rhythm just because Taylor got injured? A feature back needs to have the ability to run between the tackles ... that's not Maroney. The other RB's will pick up a few carries ... Belichick doesn't feature a back except maybe when the weather is poor.

This ******* sucks!!! This was my fear as soon as i saw him gingerly going to the sidelines. He was our best chance at a consistent running game now we will def not stick to the run when it benefits us to do so.

I fear that TFB will be throwing at least 40 passes a game now if maroney doesnt show he deserves those reps

that"s noting new he's averaging like 43 pass a game with taylor

the pats are a passing team with or with out taylor that's the way they will play all year

Last edited:
Countdown 3...2...1.... To the next idiot reporter in tomorrow's press conference who asks Belichick if there is any update on Taylor's ankle and if he thinks he will be back

Reporter: Any update on Fred?
Belichick: I no nothing right now,Fred's injury status is unknown at this time

Belichick: Taylor has a foot injury and is day to day.

Countdown 3...2...1.... To the next idiot reporter in tomorrow's press conference who asks Belichick if there is any update on Taylor's ankle and if he thinks he will be back

Reporter: Any update on Fred?
Belichick: I no nothing right now,Fred's injury status is unknown at this time

1animalhouse5081.jpg

"....ALL IS WELL!!!!.."

Posted by Christopher L. Gasper, Globe Staff October 8, 2009 07:19 PM
FOXBOROUGH -- Patriots running back Fred Taylor underwent surgery today to repair severe ligament damage in his right ankle and could miss the rest of the season, according to a league source.

Yes, I know. Reiss reported earlier in the day that Taylor would undergo surgery and that it wouldn't be season-ending. Gasper reported later this evening that he did undergo surgery and that it WOULD be season-ending. Critical difference. New thread. ;)
???????????

He had the surgery and allegedly drove himself home, per PFT.

If he did drive himself home, then it was done under local anesthesia (like at the dentist), not general anesthesia ( when they put you to sleep). If they put you to sleep, you are generally drowsy for several hours after you wake up and they won't let you drive for the obvious potential liability issues should you have an accident.
I hope it's a good sign .............

Last edited:
As with Mayo and all the others, they do a good job of keeping us in the dark. Nothing will be announced except what appears in the transactions or, more likely, the injury report, where he will be "out" until he isn't .

As with Mayo and all the others, they do a good job of keeping us in the dark. Nothing will be announced except what appears in the transactions or, more likely, the injury report, where he will be "out" until he isn't .
It'll be fairly clear, if he hasn't been IRed by this time next week then they think he can make it back.

I am looking forward to seeing some BJGE, though down in the rotation.

It'll be fairly clear, if he hasn't been IRed by this time next week then they think he can make it back.

I am looking forward to seeing some BJGE, though down in the rotation.

we will know it is possible that he could make it back, but that decision (as we have learned) depends on what happens elsewhere on the roster (other injuries, performances). Right now they do not need the roster spot, so I do not expect him to be IR'd if there is any chance he could be back, which is likely. But that is not a guarantee that the roster spot will be held indefinitely.

we will know it is possible that he could make it back, but that decision (as we have learned) depends on what happens elsewhere on the roster (other injuries, performances).
I think we'll know it's likely if he's not IRed. Sometimes they wait (Thomas last year) then do it a little later but generally it gets done quickly. We need a roster spot for Seau next week, we have some cuttables I guess but if he's not IRed I will assume they expect him back - though setbacks are always possible.

Treating Ankle Sprains
The ankle can also roll outward and sustain an “eversion” type injury,
but this is a bit less common and can usually be found in fracture conditions.

The ligaments involved in this injury type are the ones located on the lateral,
or outer, aspect of the ankle. The three major ones located here are:
the anterior talo-fibular,
the posterior talo-fibular,
and the calcaneo-fibular ligaments.
1714-f1.jpg

I had this exact same injury in High School. The doctors told me that I should have surgery but wouldn't be able to play ball that year... OR I could rehab my ass off and possibly salvage some of the season.

I opted not to get the surgery and it was the wrong choice. I rehabbed and rehabbed and rehabbed. I was in and out of a cast/boot for about 3-4 months, which cost me the season. I never regained the full range of motion in that ankle, which if I had the surgery wouldn't be a problem today.

Taylor is done, I can't see him coming back this year after suffering this type of injury. I feel for him because I know how much it sucks! :mad:

Last edited:
I jogged home from mine. :eek:

I didn't use the ice bag like I was told ... friggin things were like grapefruit the next day.

Originally Posted by Patspsycho
He had the surgery and allegedly drove himself home, per PFT.

I had to walk about 200-250 yards to the trainers office when I suffered this injury. They told me at first that it was a bad sprain. Then I drove myself and one of my teammates home in a 1984, 4-speed standard, Chevy Cavalier.

You can still function but you can't play.

I had this exact same injury in High School. The doctors told me that I should have surgery but wouldn't be able to play ball that year... OR I could rehab hy ass off and possubly salvage some of the season.

I opted not to get the surgery and it was the wrong choice. I rehabbed and rehabbed and rehabbed. I was in and out of a cast/boot for about 3-4 months, which cost me the season. I never regained the full range of motion in that ankle, which if I had the surgery wouldn't be a problem today.

Taylor is done, I can't see him coming back this year after suffering this type of injury. I feel for him because I know how much it sucks! :mad:

Key question: How many years ago did your occurrence happen? If more than 20, then the technology is way better now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back