PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Gasper: Mayo out 6-8wks, possibly less - sprained MCL- grade 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Mayo out 6-8wks - sprained MCL- grade 3

Seymour was good against the run but lets be realistic,Its not like teams were not able to run against the Pats even with Seymour - Some teams have done well against us...and thats prior to 2 weeks ago

Our defense against the run has not been the same since Washington and Traylor moved on and thats nothing against Wilfork but he is simply not as good as those guys were in this defense.

Statistically speaking, you are slightly off-base. Look at the yds per carry and league ranking.

08- 15th- 4.1 (Just Wilfork)
07 -26th- 4.4 (Just Wilfork)
06- 7th - 3.9 (Just Wilfork)
05- 4th- 3.6 (Just Wilfork)
04- 10th- 3.9 (Traylor, Wilfork & Ted Johnson)
03- 6th- 3.6 (Washington in the middle)

Conclusion- Run D was fine in every year but 07 where the team consistiently found themselves up 73-2 in the 3rd qtr and team ran the ball using draws as the Pats were in a nickle or dime D.

It's the pass D that has seen a gradual decline in production....

It's the best possible news. He didn't tear anything and he'll be back this year. I think what the Patriots do vis-a-vis bringing in another LB will tell us how long Jerod wil be out. If he's gone 2 - 3 weeks they'll work with what they have. If we're looking at 6 -8 they may bring in a Zach Thomas etc to help shore up the depth.

He tore his MCL. A grade III strain is a complete tear.

Grade III makes no sense ..... complete tear would require surgery(for an NFL player) and put him out for the season .... this is a Grade II at most and I bet it is closer to a Grade I

Last edited:
It's the best possible news. He didn't tear anything and he'll be back this year. I think what the Patriots do vis-a-vis bringing in another LB will tell us how long Jerod wil be out. If he's gone 2 - 3 weeks they'll work with what they have. If we're looking at 6 -8 they may bring in a Zach Thomas etc to help shore up the depth.

I think it would be far better to bring in Junior now rather than the last six weeks. He seems far more appropriate as he knows our system and hasn't been cut by KC(or whoever). Junior could play the 6-8 weeks and then go back to surfing until needed again.

Don't count on it.

When a grade III injury occurs, patients usually wear a knee immobilizer and protect weight-bearing (crutches) for the first week to 10 days following injury. Patients should remove the immobilizer several times a day to work on bending their knee. After that time, the patient can begin wearing a hinged knee brace, and can begin to increase their range of motion in the knee. They can apply more weight to the knee as pain allows. Once the patient can flex the knee at least to 100 degrees, they may begin riding a stationary bicycle. The crutches can be discontinued one the patient is able to walk without limping. Jogging can begin once the patient has regained 60% of their quadriceps strength (compared to the opposite side), and agility drills can begin one they have regained 80% of their strength. Complete rehab from a grade III MCL tear can take 3-4 months

It's a sprain.

In most people no .... surgery would not be needed ... but a NFL linebacker with a completely torn MCL would. (this is just an educated guess)

But looking at the fact of 6 weeks or less return(per media) this is not a Level III sprain.

I hate guessing on these things. I just don't know enough about the injury. I would assume BB and the med staff would excercise caution as it relates to his health. Rather wait a couple of extra games and have him 100% than rush him back and have him 75%.

My .02$

It's a sprain.

Grade III Sprain is a complete tear.

A first degree sprain is damage to only a few ligament fibres.
A second degree sprain is damage to a more extensive number of ligament fibres, but the ligament remains intact.
A third degree sprain is a complete rupture of the ligament. Because of the force involved in this injury other structures in the knee, such as the Meniscus (Cartilage) or the Anterior Cruciate Ligament can also be damaged.

With a first degree sprain of the Medial ligament there will be pain when the site of the damage is touched. Stressing the ligament (when the knee is slightly bent and the shin is moved inwards in relation to the thigh) is painful - this action is reproduced when standing up from sitting in a chair.

In the case of a second degree sprain, the pain is more severe when touched and when the ligament is stressed. There will usually be a swelling of the knee joint, but this may take 24 hours to appear.

In the case of a third degree sprain, where the ligament is ruptured, the knee joint is unstable and activity cannot be continued. There will be a bleed and an inflow of fluid into the joint but, because the capsule that surrounds the joint is also damaged, this fluid may leak out and swelling may not be evident

Last edited:

In the case of a first degree sprain, sporting activities should not be undertaken for about 3 weeks.

For second degree sprains, the rehabilitation period will be between 6 and 8 weeks. Rehabilitation under the supervision of a chartered physiotherapist is desirable to prevent a recurrence of the injury, which can be common if a return to sport is attempted too early.

In the case of a third degree sprain, where the ligament is completely ruptured, the treatment of choice is surgery to repair the structure. The type of reconstruction used will depend on the exact site of the damage and the preference of the surgeon. Many people find that using a Knee Brace can be very helpful if they have suffered a Medial Collateral Ligament injury. The brace supports the knee and takes the strain off the ligament during the early stage of injury, particularly when sleeping. The knee brace also provides protection during the later stages of rehabilitation. Running in a swimming pool, using a Buoyancy Aid, is an ideal method of maintaining fitness while the ligament is healing.

Medial ligament sprain

Grade 1 symptoms:
Mild tenderness on the inside of the knee over the ligament.
Usually no swelling.
When the knee is bent to 30 degrees and force applied to the outside of the knee (stressing the medial ligament) pain is felt but there is no joint laxity (looseness) (video).
Grade 2 symptoms:
Significant tenderness on the inside of the knee on the medial ligament.
Some swelling seen over the ligament.
When the knee is stressed as for grade 1 symptoms, there is pain and laxity in the joint, although there is a definite end point (the knee cannot be bent sideways completely).
Grade 3 symptoms:
This is a complete tear of the ligament.
Pain can vary and is sometimes not as bad as that of a grade 2 sprain.
When stressing the knee there is significant joint laxity.
The athlete may complain of having a very wobbly or unstable knee.

That's half the season.

Out of all our players...and the current state of our defense....

blows me away.

I'm going to be positive though

So if it's 3rd degree, that sounds like surgery.

Can he be back from surgery in 8-10 weeks?

He'll be back in 4/6 wks.-my guess

I had a frontal hyperextended left knee from a guy getting pushed backwards into my knee about 12 yrs ago. Did PT. Took some weight off and now run 60-90 min day. It snaps and pops still-never did surgery.
Knees are a strange anatomical structure.

Surgery isn't always the best option.

Reading McMullen's story about him playing though an injury last season and now he is saying this is nothing serious? I'd be happy to hear 6-8 weeks.

Everything I've seen says surgery is USUALLY not required for an MCL tear. IIRC, they only repaired TB's ACL tear. The MCL tear was left to heal on its own.

I wonder if the guy giving the 6-8 weeks estimates is the same guy who gave Tom Curran the prognosis that Brady was having a big setback and could have to have the ACL reconstruction yet again and miss the entire 2010 season.

The more I think about it, I don't trust this report. Mayo looked a lot better than either Polumalu or Anthony Gonzalez (both suffering the same injury this weekend) and both seem to have sunnier prognosises.

6-8 weeks. That sucks. But at least he'll be available for the last half of the season. Who will/can step up in his place?? It's a shame that McKenzie got hurt in TC too... Down 2 promising ILBs. Can Guyton be the guy?

Last edited:
I'm content, actually. I wouldn't go so far as to say we're fortunate—it's total BS and there's no upside no matter which way you look at it—but after so many years of season-ending injuries (especially on the defensive side of the ball) it seems like a gift from God.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes